Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which decade do you think is better? The 1980s or the 1990s?

AlicornSpell

80s vs. 90s  

18 users have voted

1. 1. Which decade do you like better?

• 1980s
    • 1990s

Kind of a tough choice. Neither decade is my favorite for media or anything really. The decades surrounding these two blow them out of the water.

1980s had G1 My Little Pony which I really like. Nothing else too notable about the decade, though. Musically, it has a few memorable songs, but not many, as the decade's music is generally excessively gaudy. Synths and drum machines are so cringe.

1990s had great video games toward the end of the decade. Musically this is the most forgettable decade ever. And I grew up in the 90s. The music should be memorable for me, but it's not. That should tell you something. Lol.

• Brohoof 1

Hard choice, both were awesome.

80's was the beginning of the modern era as we know it. Many technologies we can't live without nowadays began back then or reached the breaking point that defined what was to come. For instance, cellphones. Before the 80's cellphones were more like military radios than phones. They had these big bags to carry the battery and get their signal. In the 80's the concept of a phone that didn't need of bags to function came to be and that defined how we conceive cellphones nowadays. Also, the 80's saw the video game industry be reborn from its ashes. The E.Ts crash destroyed the industry and in the 80's a new model was born with game companies ensuring quality standards and prevent over stocking to avoid new hype crashes. In a way, nintendo saved the industry and video games were popular once again. As for music, the 80's had several classics and introduced many genres that were the bases for modern pop, electronic and metal. We owe a lot to the 80's. They even gave us long running horror sagas in the movies, and the slasher genre had its better times back then. In general, the 80's were a great time despite the silly fashion and primitive surging technologies.

The 90's saw the zenith of several things. Musically speaking it was one of the best decades for metal, punk-pop, pop, EDM and experimental genres, many that are classics nowadays and the archetype for each given genre. It also had several jewels regarding the 7th art. It even had new classics of almost any genre of movies and miniseries, even if those movies are somewhat cringe nowadays (like home alone). Speaking of miniseries, let's not forget the 90's It that made Pennywise become a popculture icon. As for animation the 90's gave us the best from disney's renaissance such as Lion King. The 90's launched many actors to stardom too. As for technologies, the 90's is the base of what we live today. It was then when PCs became affordable and tuned their user friendly nature. Cellphones became pocket size, portable game consoles became a serious thing instead of the preprogrammed limited lcd crap they were, 3D actually became non-uncanny and attractive, all sort of "instant" food rushed into the scene with long stock lives, globalization became a thing allowing cultural exchange, the internet became popular and in 1st world countries it came onto reach for middle class people, and so on. The 90s fashion was cool too. And speaking of video games, we saw 2 generations with huge technologic gaps in the same decade for the first time. We also got many of the most essential titles for any gamer be born, and 3D games became a thing that started a whole new way to design and develop videogames.

Is a hard choice, because the 80's were awesome and set the bases for what was to come for the 90's, and the 90's evolved things to the direction they took nowadays. Both decades contributed greatly to the modern age and we see bits of both everyday.

• Brohoof 1

The '80s had better style, less technology and the entertainment was way better than anything around now (or in the '90s). If I had a time machine I'd be much more interested in going back to the '80s. 

• Brohoof 1

I like both. I have voted for the 80s because I really like that meaty 80s industrial design. While the 90s was nice too, especially with the cell phones there was less blocky things being made. Also pup up headlamps were really cool. 

Well...for my line of work and family they both stunk. The biggest agricultural depression since the 1930s was in the 80s, tons of equipment companies folded, sold out, and merged, farmers like us were just trying to pay the interest on the 20%+ interest operating loans, and to top that off the 90s was the beginning of the recovery...that we're still in today, but with a different world. The American Agricultural Movement was doing questionable things and Farm Aid got started, farms began their fall into consolidation that continues to this day, and it was probably the last time the people of North America and possibly the world actually thought about farmers, and not for a good reason, but for unfortunate reasons. (Its an interesting topic to read up on, may not be the prettiest but interesting none the less)

I do like the style of the vehicles, the quality and design of most products, from the 80s though, the 90s all the vehicles and products seemed to get ugly and feel cheap. From square to...roundish? Movies and such I think the 80s win that with their stainless steel car trilogy and a certain cop show, which still stands to today as "the most realistic cop show". Music is somewhat of a draw for me.

And now I feel old...my 1978 L2 combine will always be 20 to me...I wonder if when they designed them if they thought a large chunk would still be going 40-50 years later?

Edited by TheGleaner

I mean I grew up in neither but I'd probably say media from the 90's (particularly cartoons and video games) always interested me a lot more than stuff from the 80's. Plus I find looking back on the evolution of computers and the internet through the 90's to be interesting so there's that too. Do prefer 80's music in general though.

Otherwise, 2010's gang 😎

I grew up in the 90s as I was born in '88. But honestly, if it were to be the 90's or 2000's, I would say the 90's hooves down, as in the 90's we didn't have 911 or anything like that.

• 3 months later...

This is pretty hard question for me. Both are really close to me. If I have to pick I'd say 90's. It was quite an excited time before  millennium change. The new technology were really firing up my imagination. The music in the 90s is different from 80s but still also very good for me.

• 1 month later...

I like them both for different reasons. The 80s had better music although I like music from the 90s too. My Little Pony was established in the early 80s. My favorite movie was made in the 90s (Jurassic Park). The internet was invented in the 90s. It's just too difficult to choose only one.

• Brohoof 1

Give me the '80s all the way! The '90s were already going downhill fast from what the '80s had to offer. The '80s were fun, colorful, didn't take itself so seriously and had some of the best movies. The music wasn't my favorite generally speaking but it was way better than anything I've heard since. And I love the clothing fashions back then. I wear '80s fashions even today; thrift shops give me some of my favorite wardrobe items. And don't get me started on the hair. I LOVE the '80s big hair!