Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP: A New Generation: Brony (MLP Forums) Reviews/Reactions/Discussion

Dark Qiviut

MLP: A New Generation (MLP G5 premiere!)  

111 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Pipp Petals *nearing tears*: "It's supposed to be my best show ever. Now it's all over." (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Hitch Trailblazer: "No, thank you. I got it." *grumbles back at his campfire* (I dislike it!)
    • Zipp Storm: *back to Sunny and Izzy* "Don't tell them you saw me." *glides away* (…meh…)
    • Sunny Starscout: *sings "Gonna Be My Day"* (I like it!)
    • Izzy Moonbow: "Hi, new friend!" (I LOVE IT! :D)
  2. 2. Following this movie, who's your favorite of the Mane 5?

• Izzy Moonbow
    • Sunny Starscout
    • Pipp Petals
    • Zipp Storm
    • Hitch Trailblazer

All things considered, A New Generation is satisfactory in regards to the characters, music, and visuals, but I do think they all need some polishing.

The Mane 5 do not have a much visual appeal to me, quite honestly. Their individual designs are fine, but as a group, their color palette is unappealing. Their colors are orange, beige, purple, pink, and white... which is honestly rather ugly, especially compared to how lovely the Mane 6 looked together, with purple, pink, white, yellow, orange, and blue. The Mane 6 may have looked more simple visually at an individual level, but as a group, the Mane 6 definitely looked more appealing. The actual characters of the Mane 5 are also rather lackluster as well, with the exception of Izzy and Sunny, but even they are a bit iffy.

Sunny is more or less a Twilight analogue. A bit closer to how she was in Season 1-3, which I do appreciate, but she is still a bit too similar to avoid comparison. Izzy is the best of the bunch, as she gets the lion's share of the screen time and humor. She also get the campfire scene, which is my favorite scene in the film. She is a bit too close to Pinkie Pie, but she does distinguish herself enough by being a bit saner overall. Zipp is what happens when an artist designs Rainbow Dash in 2020. The crew-cut-hair and snide-ish personality are honestly so tired at this point. Points to her for not being insufferable, though. Pipp is Instagram Rarity with minute screentime. She truthfully left no impression on me at all. Hitch is quite good, being more or less a Spike analogue, since he is the the only-sane-man butt-monkey. He is also the first male pony to be a part of a main cast of MLP, to my knowledge.

The music is also fine as well, but none of it stays in my head for long. The best song is likely Fit Right In, but even that song does the obnoxious mid-song-rap segment. It is played as a joke, but this trend is honestly so tired that even it getting played for comedy just makes me groan. The rest don't really stick out in my mind, although Danger, Danger does get credit for being quite amusing. That is an issue with the film as a whole, really; it feels a lot more like a standard modern children's movie instead of MLP.

And finally, the 3D animation is technically nice looking, but the actual look of the setting is... middling. Unpleasant at worst. It is difficult to describe, but the fact that 3D animation was used makes the setting feel more claustrophobic, especially since the characters don't take any real time to get anywhere after the first act. The first town especially just feels like it is in the middle of nowhere.

My opinion of the film is not as scathing as the above implies; I do have hope for the future of G5, and A New Generation is overall enjoyable, but I think G5 has some issues to iron out first.

• Brohoof 3

If I had to quickly summarise my opinions on the movie, I would say that I thought that it was an enjoyable watch, I found the characters to be likable (my favorite probably being Sprout), it had a light, comedic tone which I found to be charming and reminiscent of G4. I admired the fact that it acknowledged the events of its predecessor without leaning on it as a crutch, I felt that the movie very much had the confidence to be its own entity, which considering how many over franchise sequels have hurt themselves by doing just that, is a major relief of mine.

The film's biggest issue is clearly pacing. As in, it moves significantly too fast for its own good, because it's attempting to set up this new era of MLP, while simultaneously being an engaging narrative in its own right. This leads to several portions of the film feeling noticeably rushed, and decisions/motivations/developments feeling half-baked and undercooked as a result. I think that this sort of problem is emblematic of a ninety-minute movie that is kick starting a new property or series. I want to make it apparent that I don't believe that this problem destroys or cripples the movie in any sense, I still found myself engaged, but it did become increasingly glaring as the film progressed and I do find it rather difficult to overlook.

I'd score the movie a six or a seven out of ten. I thought that it was a potentially promising start to G5, which ended up suffering from the weight that it had carrying on its shoulders. I am hoping that with the legwork accomplished, the eventual show can slow itself down to a more even tempo and be every bit as beloved as the cartoon that brought us all together in the first place.

Edited by Sovereign Leader Rarity
  • Brohoof 2

-Slight spoilers-

Finally got around to watching this one. It was a good ride with characters written very well and while some bits were jarring (THEY HAVE TVS AND A PRINCESS WHO DOES SELFIE BLOGS) I think it is a good way to kick off Gen5. Seeing the old memories of Gen4 did bring out the feels and I wonder how far into the future this gen actually is if all of the work Gen4 put in ultimately gets a hard reset. I hope the show will answer a lot of questions and we'll see what became of some of the old locations. And where these new gems came from (Mane6 planted a new seed like the Pillars did?)

With the new Mane5, Sunny and Izzy are tied as my current fave so far. Although Zipp is very cute. And, a pony with the title of QUEEN! Take that Celestia, 1000 years and still a princess? Maybe if she had kids.. Anyways! I might write a in depth review of my thoughts after a second viewing but over all I really enjoyed this film and hope the show can only get better from here.

By the way, the way the 3 races lost their magic and the Pegasus ponies lost their flight, is eerily what Tirek and Cozy did so unless somebody succeed where they failed or the 3 races fell on such hard times that all magic faded. I'm surprised they did not go all grey like in Rainbow Road. Anyhow the way in which the magic came back makes sense with how magic had worked before. And, Alicorn Sunny... I really want to see how her future goes down and before people try and rip it apart..

Sunny did something worth her wings and horn. She brought the magic of friendship back, ergo, she created new magic....UGH that is such a like even back with Twilight's reasoning. X3 But hey if finishing off somebody's spell can grant you wings, why not bringing magic back to life?

Edited by Darkness Void

@Dark Qiviut

One of my favorite things about Pipp Petals is after her introduction message was off the air she DID NOT say something like "*Pfft* Gullible morons.".

I was relieved and SO HAPPY that she didn't end up being a two-faced "diva" stereotype. Second Best Pony! :BrightMacContent:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Dark Qiviut

One of my favorite things about Pipp Petals is after her introduction message was off the air she DID NOT say something like "*Pfft* Gullible morons.".

I was relieved and SO HAPPY that she didn't end up being a two-faced "diva" stereotype. Second Best Pony! :BrightMacContent:

This is something I believe I could have brought up as a strength of the movie which I neglected to mention. Like FiM, A New Generation did a quite admirable job of showing archetypes without degrading them into obnoxious caricatures. Sunny is a forward-thinking idealist, but she is never violent or fanatical in any way. Hitch is the skeptical butt-monkey, but he is good at heart and relatively well-liked. Pipp is, as you mentioned, a social media influencer, but not one who basically hates her followers, and only loves the numbers they provide. Zipp is a snarky athlete of sorts, but she is actually reasonably intelligent as well. Izzy, finally, is an eccentric creative, but she also has her hooves planted on the ground reasonably well, and is capable of rational thinking.

I will say that I don't think the effect is quite as potent this time around; characters in children's media have indeed gotten a lot more varied in the past decade, but I do still think that the G5 team did an admirable job of using archetypes well without them being insufferable... something that many franchises still struggle with.

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Dark Qiviut

Indeed. Pipp really enjoys interacting with the Pipp-Squeaks to the point of displaying naivety. When Sunny and Izzy were brought to the throne room, she blurted out their presence and nearly caused all of Zephyr Heights to have a collective heart attack. :laugh:

• Brohoof 1

@Dark Qiviut @The Recherche

Did you notice this, too? Not really a character thing but more of a small detail that they didn't *need* to add. 

On 2021-10-14 at 10:30 AM, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Dark Qiviut Pipp moves slightly when her phone vibrates. Subtle detail that I noticed last time I watched the movie.

• Brohoof 2

I made an account just to talk about this movie. 

As the title says this is about my opinions, and expectations for the new generation. (And other)

1) Opinions

Animation: I think the animation is really pretty to look at. In my opinion their movements are really animated and almost fluid like. The details to their fur and mane is extremely detailed, and I am in love with their ear movements. When someone's talking one of their ears will twist towards their direction. It also really fits with their expressions like when they're smug or confused. I heard some people say the lip sync didn't look the good. (To which I disagree, it's good enough for 3D ponies. I think it'll just take some time getting used to.) Overall 20/10, everyone in the movie is just super cute, I am a little nervous as to how they might animate creatures (Or if the quality might drop) In the series.

Story: Very straight-forward, to the point and doesn't try to cut any corners. I did like the beginning more than the ending. (Before Pipp's concert) Because it felt a little lazy and it had my least favorite tropes in it. A heist with pop music in the background. A lot of people wished that the movie explained more but personally I don't mind. There's a series coming out anyways. However there are some things I wish had been changed. For instance, Sunny goes on a quest showing that unicorns and pegusai aren't evil. (In the movie after Sunny embarrassed herself, Hitch tells her that she has to prove unicorns and pegusai aren't bad, not just tell people (ponies)) I feel like it would've gave the movie some sort of purpose. 

I would've also liked to see the characters elements displayed more. Just like the first two episodes of MLP, FiM. I think It would help considering characters like Zipp and Pipp (Mostly Pipp) Do nothing in the movie and feel like background characters. As for other things like the Wendigos and the physics of their Equestrian world. 1, I believe the Wendigos were taken care of in season 9. 2, G4 should've done a better job explaining how weather works and why they have to raise the moon and sun. I wouldn't blame G5 if they had to come up with some corny reason as to why no one controls the weather anymore. 7/10

Characters: My favorites were Sunny, Hitch, and Sprout. My least? Zipp.

Sunny, my favorite kind of protagonist. She's not over-bearing with her optimism, but is optimistic. I'm more interested  in the potential she holds as a character. Assuming she's the Twilight of the show. I'm concerned if she'll just be a basic character and not really have a purpose. But in her concept art she was labeled as an explorer. So I'm hoping she has knowledge about the world, and exploring. I'm sure she picked up on her fathers studies. 8/10

Hitch, is SO likeable. It's hard to not like him. He has a very down to Earth personality and exerts confidence that isn't over the top. I also really love that animals are attracted to him. I can't wait to see what the show does with his character, especially if his element is kindness. I didn't really get that from the movie, except in like 2 parts of the film.  100/10

Sprout, I always had a tendency to like mama's boys. Just like Sunny, I think he holds potential. I don't quite understand the hate towards him (Unless you don't like him because he's a jerk) But remember, his mother raised him to be the way that he is. To be racist, not out of just hate but also fear. (I wish they kept the ending of him apologizing in the movie, but I'm sure they'll add his punishment in the show.) 9.2/10

Izzy, I think Izzy is the cutest, it's obvious she's meant to be the Pinkie Pie of the group, but yet she doesn't completely feel like another Pinkie Pie. I don't have much to say other than she left a good impression from the bedsheet leaks to the movie itself. 100/10

Pipp, Not much to say about her. I really like her design? (I like the final designs for the characters because I think it matches their personality.) I'm curious as to how she might turn out in the show. I hope she isn't boring, 9/10

Zipp, my least favorite. I really hate her design, she just looks like a tooth paste container. I'm not a big fan of her sarcasm, it comes across as disingenuous, actually more condescending, than disingenuous. Some people may like her sarcasm, which is okay. It just made her seem kinda rude for no reason. HOWEVER, I like that she's supposed to come off as androgynous, maybe even GNC. (We need more GNC women in media) And that she's interested in science. (Because I am too.) 7/10

2) Expectations

I saw that Hasbro (Or whoever) wanted to add in a lot of things they couldn't add into G4 into G5. I am begging they push past certain limits. Like the Owl House or Amphibia has. I would like to see Hitch and Sunny as kids, not every creature being reformed by friendship. Actual fight scenes and not using the magic of friendship to defeat their enemies. I would also like a montage of Sunny being an activist (But maybe that could've been in the movie)

I also hope that some ponies are still prejudice towards others, even to where they're certain attacks or disagreements amongst the races. I don't want to say much or expect much because I want to watch this show (That's coming out next year -_-) With an empty mind. I just hope we're spoiled with pictures or scenes during the wait.

3) Other

I don't like how the pegusai are all tech savvy and bougee. While the unicorns are depressed. I understand maybe having no magic might make the Unicorns sad, but it felt so out of place seeing emo unicorns. I don't mind that much but it was so awkward. 

I really want a mane 6 instead of a mane 5, and I need Sprout to be apart of that mane 5. In my opinion, it'd be awkward to kinda make him a background character that eventually gets pushed to the background and does nothing except learn about friendship. (I'm not going to be upset if this doesn't happen, but it would be interesting to watch take place and unfold)

I'm pretty sure Phyllis, Alphabittle, and Queen Haven are like the CMC's but adults (and with cutie marks. Speaking of cutie marks)

I like how the movie doesn't GAF about the ponies cutie marks, no one really cares that they're part blank flank. I feel like this show how long it's been to the point where it's just normalized. I doubt the show is going to gloss over it, they left one side of their flanks blank on purpose.

In one of the concept art for Sprout he is shown having some sort of glowing smoke coming from his eyes and hooves.

2059807901_Screenshot2021-10-2810_50_12AM.png.f8a5ac29d8c514473bb3be6d721ea59b.png

Maybe I'm hallucinating? This could really mean nothing, but I wonder what would've happened if it was in the movie.

The ending of the film had me excited. Earth ponies are finally not useless! I am actually excited to see what powers the Earth ponies hold. 

Hitch being able to talk to animals kind of confuses me (And animals having a natural connection to him). In the show they don't really specify if you need magic (or a cutie mark) to understand animals. I'm saying that because, when Fluttershy had her cutie mark replaced (The cutie re-mark (maybe, I don't know. The one episode with Starlight Glimmer) She said she couldn't understand animals anymore. And when she had all her magic taken away from Tirek, it isn't specified if she can still understand animals. (At least to my memory) 

You don't need a cutie mark to have magic (and apparently you don't need magic to have a cutie mark). So either Hitch is just a descendant of Fluttershy, or you don't need magic to understand animals. Just a natural response or purpose.

I mentioned earlier that I do like the final results of the character designs because they match their personality. However I wish Zipp had a bit of Sunny's geeky design (with her athletic flair)

595797457_Screenshot2021-10-2811_03_54AM.png.addf8d789c6a96f25e7d86a863f412b9.png

Like that one athletic girl from Crystal Prep. (The one with dark blue hair)

So that's all I have to say about G5 in general. :P

@Star_Quake

Your thread is better suited as a blog entry. You can create blogs after you have made 5 posts here at the forum.

Your post has been merged with the main Reviews/Reactions/Discussion discussion thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
(edited)

I think they should not have splurged as much as they did on the MLP:ANG movie.

I think they should have gone a little easier on the animation since it was going to set the standards for the animation in MLP G5.

The movie could have been a 44-60 minute special (but with a sequel hook), to build up on nostalgia (of the FIM premiere) and for there to be less to dwell on in the questionable writing.

I think that Sunny should not have became an alicorn at the end of the movie, and there should have been foreshadowing of her becoming one in the future.

The movie could have eased the transition for the characters and the audience better by not only putting focus on the other races, but also acknowledging it would be a bad idea to unite with the other races as a broken race.

What do you think?

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

1 hour ago, Rosy Moonlight said:

The movie could have been a 44-60 minute special (but with a sequel hook), to build up on nostalgia (of the FIM premiere) and for there to be less to dwell on in the questionable writing.

Disagree; focusing too much on the previous gen would harm investment in the new gen. FiM is over and done with, and less ties on the past, the better. The small reference here and there is fine. 

• Brohoof 2

I honestly hated this movie.

It leaves so many more questions than answers, the tone is condescending, and it feels like the executives and creators wrote themselves into a corner.

I like Tell Your Tale much more than this movie.

1 hour ago, Rosy Moonlight said:

I honestly hated this movie.

It leaves so many more questions than answers, the tone is condescending, and it feels like the executives and creators wrote themselves into a corner.

I like Tell Your Tale much more than this movie.

And you have the right to feel that way. :proud: I think it's perfectly reasonable for the movie to give us a lot of questions to answer because it's setting up an entire series of content with answers to our questions. The tone of the movie is not condescending to me because Sunny's a flawed character who held ideals that were opposed by characters who were humanized and justified in not accepting her ideals initially. Tell Your Tale may not be on par with this movie in terms of writing or animation quality, but I totally see why someone would prefer a series of comedy shorts over this film. :kindness:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Finally saw it. Overall I liked it better than the 2017 movie. I still like the Equestria Girls movies better, but it wasn't bad. I do hope that the cartoon, and the comics will reveal what happen to Equestria.

I'd give the movie a 7 out of 10.

Edited by LonelyYugi

(edited)
2 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Nahhh that's that person's opinion.

Yes, those are that person's opinions, and my opinions are very similar to them.

Please do not act like people can not share opinions because it can be quite hurtful.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 2022-05-15 at 2:49 PM, Rosy Moonlight said:

I just found this video that explains a lot of what I think of the movie.

What do you think?

I do empathize with some of his frustrations, especially with his critiques of Pipp and Sprout's characterizations. The two major flaws I found with the criticisms of Sunny and the message though were that Sunny seeming to care more what the ponies were rather than who was an intended character flaw and the fact that the "Racism is bad!" message was "shoved in our faces" in Friendship is Magic too. Not just in the last two seasons, as early as Season 1 with Bridle Gossip and then again in a fashion similar to the movie in Season 2 with Hearth's Warming Eve. Sunny also does endure suffering in the movie from not being liked by any pony, to losing her house, to losing her dad. The movie still shows that even if your ideals are correct, you still have to go through pain as they are challenged, so she's definitely even farther from perfect than he believes. 

Edited by CloudMistDragon
  • Brohoof 1

45 minutes ago, Rosy Moonlight said:

Yes, those are that person's opinions, and my opinions are very similar to them.

Please do not act like people can not share opinions because it can be quite hurtful.

I have no idea that that would hurt you...or anyone... 

I just said "nahhh that's that person's opinion" pretty much I acknowledge his opinion but sadly I don't consider it mine and we don't have the same opinion... Sorry if I hurt you for not having the same opinion.... But.... Ehh I guess what can you do....:derp:

• Brohoof 1

An issue notable about the fandom; holding G5 to the standards that G4 accidentally rose itself on. They're expecting maturity, thought-provoking drama, realistic dilemmas, depthful relatable characters. 

And then there's me, who's just... Guys.

We cannot hold the new gen to the same or even above the bar G4 had set, nor can we compare the two, as that is unfair and unrealistic. In spite of what the bronies like to believe at the end of the day, it's a show made for little girls, with little girls in mind, and the new movie did what it intended, in my opinion, flawlessly. It didn't have to be deep or thought-provoking, it just had to be a light-hearted, simplistic adventure of a new character in a new world. That's the end of it. 

If people are unhappy about that, then they should just move on. Because that's what My Little Pony always intended to be, at the end of the day. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Two theories!

One: [spoiler]That villain is Twilight gone bad[/spoiler]

Two: [spoiler]Spike sent the dragon egg as a key to help the ponies bring back Twilight[/spoiler]

Edited by FlareGun45

I love the animation (except for the eyes) and the songs, but I hate the story-writing and some of the characterizations.

Also, did they think casting celebrities as the voice actors for the main characters in the opening movie wasn't going to make things worse?

That is one of the worst voice-acting decisions I have ever heard.

Izzy. What did they do to Izzy, especially after the movie.

(edited)

Gonna be my day ---> (8/10) I love the harmony though I hate how self-centered Sunny is in her activism during this song.

Looking out for you ---> (6/10) Cute song, though it feels misplaced like it is the type of song should come after a disaster happened.

Angry Mob ---> (7.5/10) for me. I don't know what else to say.

Glowing up ---> Also (7.5/10) for me. I find the events happening during the song rather silly, like why not steal the crown when the queen (and dog) are sleeping.

Fit Right it ---> (8/10) I love the song though I get the feeling that Hitch was so fed up at that point that he got that skeptical at impersonating an unicorn even though his Pegasus disguise worked not too badly.

It's alright ---> (6/10) I find it to be mediocre. I don't have much to say about it. 

Edited by Rosy Moonlight