Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Episode Reminded You that MLP was for Little Girls?

Gaines

It was the beginning of A Canterlot Wedding, when Spike comes and ruins the Mane 6's picnic with the announcement that Twilight has a brother and that whole wedding situation. Thankfully it picked up the drama and music numbers as the story went on, but that initial beginning of a forced princess wedding was just so aimed at the real target audience.

• Brohoof 4

Well, I never forgot.

MLP has always been for little girls and G4 wasn’t that much of an exception. Therefore, I never needed a specific episode to remind me of its demographic… G4 in general is a reminder. What I will say, however, is that some episodes struck me as especially childish. Now, when I use the term “childish” I don’t mean only relating to young females. I mean that the writing or even overall story would have been better suited in an episode of different children’s series altogether.

• Brohoof 2

Lol, I keep forgetting the theme song. The beginning, is sung in a way that is not directed towards boys at all. It was a constant reminder. However the rest of the theme song is great and catchy.

• Brohoof 1

You mean that moment of "oh! right, while this show is rich in meaning and not one dimensional, it's not going to be TOO deep because it's not only just for little girls but for children in general" type of moment? The moment for me was when they tried to reform each and every bad character. It made me giggle cause, like, while it IS good for teaching the premise of empathy to children (the whole 'yeah that person SEEMS bad but they were simply hurt, just be kind to them and they'll change, etc) it's not necessarily true in the real world. Life's too complex for that and then it hits you -- 'oh, this is a show for kids -- don't go THAT deep." XD

But I still enjoyed the show.

• Brohoof 1

Probably one episode and one character approach: How Rarity was portrayed in season 1, although Sisterhooves Social changed my mind back in 2011.

The episode in particular was "Simple Ways" from season 4. The premise, the pacing and the execution of some core ideas were very silly. It's a pity, because her previous episode, Rarity Takes Manehattan, shows a high level of maturity I wish it was maintained in a kids show.

• Brohoof 1

Even when Bronies on YouTube were defending the show, it was a clear indication that something was off about the show's target. The whole "the show is not made for little girls because" and "MLP in the past was bad because it was made for little girls, but the new MLP is good because.... um....." was a real indication that MLP was made for little girls.

• Brohoof 1

It always was. And no, that’s not an insult, nor should it be one 

In fact I always the show got worse when they tried catering more towards bronies

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

The first seasons were, if nothing else, strong reminders that the show is for 5-year-olds first and whole families second. Season 9, being the weakest, had a few of those from Common Ground, which was lackluster in places, to Going to Seed, full-bodied and yet uneventful. 

Season 1's episode "Look Before You Sleep" is about Twilight holding a slumber party, which only girls do, so that reminded me I was watching a little girl's show. The later seasons seem to be targeted towards older ages than the target ages of the earlier seasons.