Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's up with the socks?

Shadow Chaser

I wasn't quite sure where to put this but here seemed appropriate since it's actually about the ponies. Well, it's about a community thing that's had me wondering this for some time.

What's up with the socks?

I see it used most often in pic that are going for the sexual appeal and in clopfics to signify something like lingerie. But what's the deal? I mean.. They're just socks.

Granted when the entire show has them completely naked most of the time (dresses, not included) I get why something as simple as socks might come off as provocative but it always struck me as just odd.

So am I alone in thinking the sock thing is a bit weird or is it the idea that they're only wearing socks that makes it appealing?

Here's a few images I'm marking with spoilers as some might be a little TOO suggestive (Even though they're just socks.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, if you're going to Google this, as a precaution, For the love of God, turn your Safe Search ON!

• Brohoof 4

Ponies wearing socks, ponies in socks, ponies wearing sweaters, ponies with juice-boxes, ponies in vehicles, ponies with wet manes... just one of the many art fads that have sprung up over the fandoms progression. Usually, they stem from a particular piece of art showcased on Deviantart, and then proceed to spread across Tumblr, and pony imageboards before showing up on EqD drawfriend posts, for anyone else who isn't aware of their existence. Ponies in socks is one of the older fads, starting around February in 2011. Why? Probably because allot of people consider ponies wearing socks, along with other articles of clothing to be pretty damn 'D'aww' worthy, and honestly, I'm inclined to agree with them. ^^

As for the sexualisation of a few images, well, that's just the way of the internet for you.

• Brohoof 17

Who knows... People are weird...

It's pretty sad if you ask me too, the adults that champion their right to watch the show fill the internet with this nonsense and make it impossible for a little kid who wants to google the show (or even watch a video on youtube for that matter) not to see all these suggestive pictures and horrible videos, and gives them the impression it's a normal and okay thing to do/ way to think.

But that's just what I think.

• Brohoof 1

Probably because allot of people consider ponies wearing socks, along with other articled of clothing to be pretty damn 'D'aww' worthy, and honestly, I'm inclined to agree with them. ^^

And I'm inclined to agree with you. haha I know it's nothing important and it's just another of those random fan things that takes off but it just always struck me as weird. (Albeit, cute)

make it impossible for a little kid who wants to google the show (or even watch a video on youtube for that matter)

Yea, I was quite surprised when I googled "MLP Socks." I mean, I leave safe search off because I've missed what I was looking for in past searches because it was on but I never thought that'd be such an issue with MLP stuff. I suppose it's inevitable when you have such a broad range of fans. Especially artistically inclined fans who work for commission and will draw anything. It doesn't really weird me out, because, to each his own, but it is a bit sad when you can't safely search a cartoon on google.

Well, its because that there is a fetish called socking, that makes women look hotter because of the socks. It works for ponies too.

I don't care for why, i just know that they get hotter with socks.

It's simple, ponies in socks is just too cute to ignore! :wub:

post-1046-0-51139700-1340207160_thumb.png

post-1046-0-27646300-1340207162_thumb.png

post-1046-0-33712900-1340207163_thumb.png

post-1046-0-52490500-1340207164_thumb.jpg

As for the sexualisation of ponies with socks, it's a kind of like lingerie. And I have to admit they can look good in them. ;)

• Brohoof 7

What would suck is if it came from the fact socks were fetishized in G3.

i hate to say it, but there is a pony in G3 who loves socks

(i only know because of episode commentaries)

It's simple, ponies in socks is just too cute to ignore! :wub:

post-1046-0-51139700-1340207160_thumb.png

post-1046-0-27646300-1340207162_thumb.png

post-1046-0-33712900-1340207163_thumb.png

post-1046-0-52490500-1340207164_thumb.jpg

As for the sexualisation of ponies with socks, it's a kind of like lingerie. And I have to admit they can look good in them. ;)

Too.. Much.. Adorable... D'AWWWWW!!!!

Pony's gotta keep their hooves clean somehow... :huh:

I suppose I hadn't thought of that... Maybe it's like a hairnet type of thing for when they sleep. They are ladies after all.
  • Brohoof 2

use safe search defiantly i found out the hard way

Too.. Much.. Adorable... D'AWWWWW!!!!

I suppose I hadn't thought of that... Maybe it's like a hairnet type of thing for when they sleep. They are ladies after all.

YES SHADOW CHASER 100TH BROHOOF!
  • Brohoof 1

There's a running theme in the MLP fandom that having the ponies wear clothing ends up making them more appealing, even sexier, than when they wear nothing at all (which is generally their default). Socks kind of play into this in a generally less obtrusive and suggestive manner than, say, having Twilight wear lingerie in a the style of a saddle. The socks can either be saucy or just cute. Thus their appeal is broadened.

Rarity with socks (the picture featured in the first post) actually made the banner of EqD, so it's not always viewed as erotic.

• Brohoof 2