Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are ponies really nicer than humans?

InfinityWhale

InfinityWhale here once more to pee all over your dreams of living happily in Equestria.

Now, as some of you may have read, I recently made a topic called "5 Reasons You Don't Want To Be A Pony". Now, many people still disagreed, which is fine. I didn't mean to make it be a distinctive guide over why you HAVE to prefer to be a human, just to point out some opposing viewpoints. However, one thing came up time and time again: people said that they wanted to live in Equestria because ponies are so much nicer and more accepting than humans are. That got me to thinking, are they really that much nicer?

My primary evidence about meanness levels being simlar are "Putting Your Hoof Down". In this episode, we see Fluttershy get kicked to the curb by every single bucking pony in Ponyville. The "valley girl" ponies flat-out insult her, the "dweeb" pony jacks the asparagus without a second thought to who is in line, the gardener dismisses her as unimportant, and the vendor pony walks all over her because he hears she needs something. You know, the kind of things humans do to each other on a daily basis. It doesn't end there, though. Her friends manage to help defend her. They do so by confusion and G-rated seduction tactics. Even the good guys here are using semi-nefarious tactics to do their dirty work.

Moving beyond that, there's my personal favorite: the upper-class twits that seem to make up Canterlot society. They follow any pony with any original thought whatsoever without question. They deride anypony who is even slightly different from them. Even a mild ignorance towards their customs is treated with derision and mocking. The use of the word "rooster" is followed by laughter. Even Celestia can't stand them, and she presumably deals with them on a regular basis!

As for acceptance, there doesn't necessarily seem to be a lot of that, either. Yeah, the three races live together in relative harmony, but beyond that, there can be a lot of conflict. Anyone who sticks out is made fun of, or even dramatically ostracized (Zecora couldn't do her grocery shopping.) The buffalo v. Appaloosa conflict is a major highlight of this lack of acceptance, where they didn't understand their customs and essentially decided "Screw it, blow 'em up (with pies)!"

In conclusion, you haven't applied enough logic to this cartoon where logic doesn't apply, and you should feel bad.

• Brohoof 8

To me, humans are just as bad as ponies and vice versa. Both discriminate and lie, and even bully. You may think equestria sounds like the perfect place as awesome as it would be to be a pony, they still have bullies.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Jokes on you, I don't care if live in Equestria, I just want my Dashie.

K, so we've established that Equestria has bullies and jerks, and that there is strife among groups. Fair enough. But please show me where Equestria's been having pointless wars over religion, or where ponies are murdering each other in cold blood, or where children are molested, or where there's corrupt political government. Until these things, and the many other things I can think of that are terribly wrong about our world and the people in it, become canon, then yes, Equestria has advantages that our world doesn't have.

Equestria is the lesser of the two evils.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 13

K, so we've established that Equestria has bullies and jerks, and that there is strife among groups. Fair enough. But please show me where Equestria's been having pointless wars over religion, or where ponies are murdering each other in cold blood, or where children are molested, or where there's corrupt political government. Until these things, and the many other things I can think of that are terribly wrong about our world, become canon, then yes, Equestria has advantages that our world doesn't have.

Ah, logic. My old foe.

Okay, I'm going to mantain my "off-screen" defense for this one. Yes, I'm willing to believe that ponies have, if not those things, things just as bad, but because the show's purpose is not to discuss them or to give an in-depth review of pony society, we're not likely to see them.

As for wars over religion, the Appaloosa conflict is pretty close to that, if you look at the implications, and corrupt political society is avoided because they have a monarch, but again, the whole "stupid upper-class ponies" could be considered an analogue to that.

K, so we've established that Equestria has bullies and jerks, and that there is strife among groups. Fair enough. But please show me where Equestria's been having pointless wars over religion, or where ponies are murdering each other in cold blood, or where children are molested, or where there's corrupt political government. Until these things, and the many other things I can think of that are terribly wrong about our world and the people in it, become canon, then yes, Equestria has advantages that our world doesn't have.

I agree with ~Chaotic Discord~ on this one. Both worlds aren't perfect and have their flaws, but in Equestria, it is limited to forms of discrimination, bullying, and lack of acceptance. Although in the end, in every conflict, both parties seemed to learn their lesson, something this world clearly doesn't. Also, the degree of corruption in the upper class isn't even a fraction of what our world has.

Put simple, Equestria has flaws like our world, but they learn lessons from it, something our world doesn't.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ah, logic. My old foe.

Okay, I'm going to mantain my "off-screen" defense for this one. Yes, I'm willing to believe that ponies have, if not those things, things just as bad, but because the show's purpose is not to discuss them or to give an in-depth review of pony society, we're not likely to see them.

As for wars over religion, the Appaloosa conflict is pretty close to that, if you look at the implications, and corrupt political society is avoided because they have a monarch, but again, the whole "stupid upper-class ponies" could be considered an analogue to that.

Entire towns wouldn't join together in dance, or be as majorly social and community-based as they are if things like rape, murder and death were as prevalent as they are in our world. To me, that means that they either don't exist, or exist to an extent far less than our world, to the point where, as the show demonstrates, it isn't talked about, because it rarely happens. Which, still results in Equestria being the lesser evil.

The Appleloosa thing used pies, and had nothing even close to death. I suppose you can argue that it's symbolic for the real thing, which is a valid argument, so I leave that one be.

Doesn't matter what the type of government, the point is they're utterly benevolent, and that everyone is appreciative and happy with it of their own accord, not out of force. If we had Celestia, I'd be voting for her over any other politician of our own world.

• Brohoof 1

Entire towns wouldn't join together in dance, or be a majorly social and community-based as they are if things like rape, murder and death were as prevalent as they are in our world. To me, that means that they either don't exist, or exist to an extent far less than our world, to the point where, as the show demonstrates, it isn't talked about, because it rarely happens. Which, still results in Equestria being the lesser evil.

The Appleloose thing used pies, and had nothing even close to death. I suppose you can argue that it's symbolic for the real thing, which is a valid argument, so I leave that one be.

Doesn't matter what the type of government, the point is they're utterly benevolent, and that everyone is appreciate and happy with of their own accord, not out of force. If we had Celestia, I'd be voting for her over any other politician of our own world.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYZ6rbPU2M

Your move. <.<

The problem is that Celestia is just one leader, and in a highly centralized government, it would be hard for reform to happen should corruption occur. It's been shown time and time again (I'll use my good ol' buddy King Arthur) that even a strong, effective ruler can't stop their servants from acting cruelly or unjustly, without an effective system, one that we haven't seen in action, or at all. Heck, does she even have any politicians, or does she just dictate what happens and have her guards enforce it?

(edited)

It's true, us Human are nothing but war like lunatic monkeys with big brains, who shoot one another instead of throwing crap at one another. True, there are some Humans who stand out from the masses and are truly good but there's very few of them.

And most Ponies seem to be good, unlike us Humans.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 1

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYZ6rbPU2M

Your move. <.<

The problem is that Celestia is just one leader, and in a highly centralized government, it would be hard for reform to happen should corruption occur. It's been shown time and time again (I'll use my good ol' buddy King Arthur) that even a strong, effective ruler can't stop their servants from acting cruelly or unjustly, without an effective system, one that we haven't seen in action, or at all. Heck, does she even have any politicians, or does she just dictate what happens and have her guards enforce it?

One example doesn't counteract an entire societies' way of interacting or doing things ^^ The very reason that is a video on Youtube is because it is not common. It's common in Equestria to a near fault. Sorry, try again.

Celestia doesn't need to punish for the simple fact that anything worth her attention that can't be worked out between ponies themselves, doesn't seem to exist. We haven't seen the crimes that she'd need to react to, probably because they hardly go on. Ponies seem to respect each other to the point where crime is not a popular going on. There's being stuck up, and there's being rude and mean, but killing, theft and all those other nasty things or on an entirely different level. As for advisors, she probably has a few lower advisers, or hell, even those like Shining Armor who are high up in her command, who she listens to intently, and bounces ideas off of.

It's true, us Human are nothing but war like lunatics moneys with big brains, who shoot one another instead of throwing crap at one another. True, there are some Humans who stand out from the masses and are truly good but there's very few of them.

And most Ponies seem to be good, unlike us Humans.

Hey, that's a point that could be highly contested! I've seen all kinds of humans out and about in my life, and in my experience, most of them can be pretty cool! I'd say most people are pretty good, at there core, if they lets some less important things distract them. But I'd say, in the long run, that ponies are about the same way.

One example doesn't counteract an entire societies' way of interacting or doing things ^^ The very reason that is a video on Youtube is because it is not common. It's common in Equestria to a near fault. Sorry, try again.

Celestia doesn't need to punish for the simple fact that anything worth her attention that can't be worked out between ponies themselves, doesn't seem to exist. We haven't seen the crimes that she'd need to react to, probably because they hardly go on. Ponies seem to respect each other to the point where crime is not a popular going on. There's being stuck up, and there's being rude and mean, but killing, theft and all those other nasty things or on an entirely different level. As for advisors, she probably has a few lower advisers, or hell, even those like Shining Armor who are high up in her command, who she listens to intently, and bounces ideas off of.

Alright, well whenever the music does start to get put out, then people seem to remark on it. It seems that the only person who actually sings/performs in the show is Pinkie Pie, with the rest existing as a result of cartoon logic. So, I don't find it likely that they actually do the big musical numbers. However, if you show humans a similar song, say via radio or while they are working, or in churches or schools, and play the song, they will all sing together. So, that is an example of a community coming together and singing over it.

Again, its never made clear those things aren't a problem. If anything, the society is a dystopic utopia, where all problems are swept under the rug by the rule of a bucking god who rules over them with an iron hoof. Sure, crime rates are low if whenever you commit a crime, you get sent to the moon. More likely, though, is the thought that things like crime and whatnot do exist, but are simply not shown. After all, the guards exist for a reason, and that reason can't solely be to look pretty and defend against invasions.

Pretend Equestria did have rapes and murders off-screen. Most of the ponies are fucking adorable. That's a win in my book.

Also, Putting Your Hoof Down is probably my least favorite episode, mostly because it's the ONLY episode where everypony is a complete dickbag. Sure, the canterlot ponies are mindless sheep, but they don't do much more than go "Harumph!", and walk away.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hey, that's a point that could be highly contested! I've seen all kinds of humans out and about in my life, and in my experience, most of them can be pretty cool! I'd say most people are pretty good, at there core, if they lets some less important things distract them. But I'd say, in the long run, that ponies are about the same way.

I do think Humans have potential to be good and have an Intergalactic civilization and undo the damage we done. But so far we are acting as if we are the Harbingers of death of all life on this Earth.

Edited by Rush

(edited)

Alright, well whenever the music does start to get put out, then people seem to remark on it. It seems that the only person who actually sings/performs in the show is Pinkie Pie, with the rest existing as a result of cartoon logic. So, I don't find it likely that they actually do the big musical numbers. However, if you show humans a similar song, say via radio or while they are working, or in churches or schools, and play the song, they will all sing together. So, that is an example of a community coming together and singing over it.

Again, its never made clear those things aren't a problem. If anything, the society is a dystopic utopia, where all problems are swept under the rug by the rule of a bucking god who rules over them with an iron hoof. Sure, crime rates are low if whenever you commit a crime, you get sent to the moon. More likely, though, is the thought that things like crime and whatnot do exist, but are simply not shown. After all, the guards exist for a reason, and that reason can't solely be to look pretty and defend against invasions.

Not talking about just songs, I'm talking about their entire societies way of interacting, the relaxation and openness with strangers that we don't see very much of from the casual person. And no I'm not just talking about Pinkie Pie.

And it's never been made clear it is a problem, either. Everything is 100% hypothetical. Like I said, just because jerks and some arguments on a group-sized scale exist, does not mean all the horrendous things I mentioned, do. So, hypothetical conclusions.

This isn't going to go anywhere, so, I've said my share ^^ An interesting stand-point, though I don't believe it goes past the rude ponies and occasional group conflict, myself.

I do think Humans have potential to be good and have an Intergalactic civilization and undo the damage we done. But so far we acting as if we are the Harbingers of death of all life on this Earth.

To be fair, they started it. The reasons humans are so deathbent on the single-minded destruction of every other being on this green earth is because we raised ourselves up to this state by blowing up everything that was attacking us. The reason we are so violent is because we are not pack animals, we are just the biggest monsters on a planet full of hungry, hungry monsters. The reason we take and take and take is because somewhere our genes are screaming at us that if we don't take and take and take, we are going to die.

Not talking about just songs, I'm talking about their entire societies way of interacting, the relaxation and openness with strangers that we don't see very much of from the casual person. And no I'm not just talking about Pinkie Pie.

And it's never been made clear it is a problem, either. Everything is 100% hypothetical. Like I said, just because jerks and some arguments on a group-sized scale exist, does not mean all the horrendous things I mentioned, do. So, hypothetical conclusions.

This isn't going to go anywhere, so, I've said my share ^^ An interesting stand-point, though I don't believe it goes past the rude ponies and occasional group conflict, myself.

I feel like we're about to go into a rap battle about this, so yeah, I'll be content with what I've said, because I think I make a pretty good case for my side of the debate. You cannot pass. I serve the sacred flame of Celestia. You cannot pass. You shall not pass. YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

(edited)

To be fair, they started it. The reasons humans are so deathbent on the single-minded destruction of every other being on this green earth is because we raised ourselves up to this state by blowing up everything that was attacking us. The reason we are so violent is because we are not pack animals, we are just the biggest monsters on a planet full of hungry, hungry monsters. The reason we take and take and take is because somewhere our genes are screaming at us that if we don't take and take and take, we are going to die.

We are clearly the most dominant species on this planet no species can stand against us, the only real threat to our existence is other Humans, so shouldn't we be a little nicer to the planet don't you think? The only threat to us comes from another planets like war like genocidal Aliens who invade Earth like planets to wipe out all life and harvest all resources.

Edited by Rush

We are clearly the most dominant species on this planet no species can stand against us, the only real threat to our existence is other Humans, so shouldn't we be a little nicer to the planet don't you think? The only threat to us comes from another planets like war like genocidal Aliens who invade Earth like planets to wipe out all life and harvest all resources.

It doesn't quite work like that. We were put into this mindset by genetics and evolution, and there's not really going to be a change, since we're just going to continue moving forward with this build build build mindset.

But please show me where Equestria's been having pointless wars over religion, or where ponies are murdering each other in cold blood, or where children are molested, or where there's corrupt political government.

You may have a good point here. Religion might actually not exist in Equestria, because everyone knows who raises the sun and moon. There's little mystery as to who the ponies need to thank for each day. Pony violence may be toned down on-screen, but as far as Ponyville or Appleoosa go, I would think murder remains uncommon or rare. Small towns usually won't have murders, because the killer would have a hard time getting away with it (Everyone knows everyone). In Canterlot though, I wouldn't put it below them to plot against their rivals. As far as the government, it's hard to dispute Celestia. She's immortal, practically invincible, extremely more powerful than any other pony, and thus, holds complete power over Equestria. A pony-led infiltration of the government would be hard.

At least one of your points is pretty solid though, I believe the kids are pretty safe.

I would say compared to the older MLP generations (especially G3, from what little I've seen), FiM portrays pony society as more realistic and more akin to what our world is like. There are some snobs/jerks, there is prejudice, there are misunderstandings and there are ponies who genuinly dislike each other. This conflict between characters is one of the huge reasons I like FiM so much better than MLP's previous incarnations.

Overall, because this is still a children's cartoon set in a Utopic society, of course there aren't as many conflicts as in the real world. As a Buddhist, I believe humans are generally good (expect for some rare exceptions, of course), but we also have a much more difficult world to deal with!

As for the friendliness/every one know everypony argument, though: couldn't that just be small town dynamics? Small towns are frequently friendlier than big cities (although, like Ponyville, distrusting of any outsiders).

• Brohoof 1

I say that ponies are nicer than humans because THEY are always able to solve their problems within a 30 minutes time block

can we humans say that about our selves? I THINK NOT

Ponies are cute and cuddly and colorful and do nice things so that means that their personality is the same, right? Right?

Nah, ponies can ne just as bad as people.

• Brohoof 1

Pretend Equestria did have rapes and murders off-screen. Most of the ponies are fucking adorable. That's a win in my book.

Also, Putting Your Hoof Down is probably my least favorite episode, mostly because it's the ONLY episode where everypony is a complete dickbag. Sure, the canterlot ponies are mindless sheep, but they don't do much more than go "Harumph!", and walk away.

I agree, Even with the more dangers in the world with Equestria but even with those stuck up in our own world then I prefer it still than our world.

I say that ponies are nicer than humans because THEY are always able to solve their problems within a 30 minutes time block

can we humans say that about our selves? I THINK NOT

Ya, maybe if people where to understand that they should take notes from this show then maybe....just maybe we improve ourselves as a species.

I would say compared to the older MLP generations (especially G3, from what little I've seen), FiM portrays pony society as more realistic and more akin to what our world is like. There are some snobs/jerks, there is prejudice, there are misunderstandings and there are ponies who genuinly dislike each other. This conflict between characters is one of the huge reasons I like FiM so much better than MLP's previous incarnations.

Overall, because this is still a children's cartoon set in a Utopic society, of course there aren't as many conflicts as in the real world. As a Buddhist, I believe humans are generally good (expect for some rare exceptions, of course), but we also have a much more difficult world to deal with!

As for the friendliness/every one know everypony argument, though: couldn't that just be small town dynamics? Small towns are frequently friendlier than big cities (although, like Ponyville, distrusting of any outsiders).

Smaller towns are liked more because there less people to deal with and able to get to know. More ponies means more problems that you may not be able to handle later.

Since we created the ponies and want our children to learn about friendship and from mistakes it only seems to make sense that any and all conflict put in this show was brought on by us. Since the show can not control itself (sadly) we must put our human personalities and abilities to quarrel over the most unimportant of matters in to these ponies. If they had free will over what the producers made of the show a good....60% of the fighting wouldn't even have happened. In simple it's our faults for most of the Jackflank ponies there are.

I agree, Even with the more dangers in the world with Equestria but even with those stuck up in our own world then I prefer it still than our world.

Ya, maybe if people where to understand that they should take notes from this show then maybe....just maybe we improve ourselves as a species.

Smaller towns are liked more because there less people to deal with and able to get to know. More ponies means more problems that you may not be able to handle later.

Actually, you just pointed out something that I missed entirely, and I thank you for that. All of the relative niceness that can be percieved is possibly a result of the town being very small in comparison to many cities and populated areas. After all, it's true the small towns tend to be closer than cities, and that crime can be less of a problem, or at least the type of crime that would attract the attention of the Mane 6.

And then there's the possiblity that if this is a small town, in the Industrial Revolution area, the problems and issues that DO exist are just swept under the rug, ignored or treated as unimportant, for the sake of the community.