Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When did you start using the internet?

Bronium

Internet questions  

164 users have voted

1. 1. When did you start using the internet?

• -0.75-00
    • 00-05
    • 05-10
    • 10-15
    • 15-20
    • 20-25
    • 25-30
    • 30-35
    • 35-40
    • 40-45
    • 45-50
    • 50-55
    • 55-60
    • 60-65
    • >65
  2. 2. Would you have rather started using the internet at another age?

• Yes ( later in life)
    • Yes (sooner in life)
    • No
  3. 3. Are you addicted?

• Yes.Why?
    • No.Why?
  4. 4. Anything you wish you could have unseen?

• Yes. A lot of things.
    • Yeah, but just a tiny bit.
    • Nope.
  5. 5. Are you for censorship?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Any funny internet stories?

• Yes. So so many.
    • No. ;.;

(edited)

It must've been around 2009 or 2010 when I first started to use the internet. It's amazing how things have evolved since then.

Edited by Cash_In

I started using the internet when I turned nine or ten years old. I had the used a computer before that but it was always under adult supervision.

I grew up in the days before the internet. There was no email or anything sometime in high school. Back then, the first web browser that I used was Netscape. This was years before internet explorer came along with Windows 95.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I think I first used the Internet when I was around 12 or 13 (which would place it somewhere in the vicinity of 2010). Since it's sort of become maybe a tad bit too important to me... :sealed:

Edited by DusksuD

Fairly young age for me. I would say maybe around 5-6 years old. I've never really been monitored on the internet so I've been left to my own devices.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

I think I first used the internet in 1999 (9-10yrs old). I remember looking at space pictures on my neighbor's computer. About a year later I got my own computer (emachines desktop). Internet service was crappy dial up.

Best part was that my mother didn't supervise my online activity  :ninjadash:

• Brohoof 1

My parents explained the internet to me back in '95, when they took me to the library to use the computer there. We got a dial-up connection at home soon after, but I wasn't allowed on until shortly before we switched to DSL, in like 2004. Between '00 and '02, my wealthier friends started getting DSL lines, pirating games and talking about all the things they used the internet for - I got involved in some online games that we'd play in school, early social media started to become a thing, and things sort of snowballed from there. I was already a regular visitor at the library in those days, as I used to read a lot as a kid (high school workloads and increased access to video games destroyed that interest for me in my teens), and I started going there every day after school, to keep up with games and browse internet forums, mostly for text role playing games, and trying out some MUDs. Those were some of the happiest days of my life, my first time getting time to myself that I didn't have to spend either at school or with my parents. Just thinking back to it kinda makes me feel a little bit happier.

The internet grew explosively in those days, of course, and when I moved away from home in '06, high speed internet was more important to me than food. Oh, and like others have said, I was able to use the internet with no parental supervision. My mother's opinion was always that nothing important had ever happened on a computer - until she got a smartphone herself, of course, and nowadays she has tablets, smart tvs, and gets a new phone every year. Must be amazing - back when she was young, you'd be lucky if you got to watch a movie once a year at the market.

Edited by Hardway Bet
  • Brohoof 2

On 5/22/2019 at 6:26 AM, Lucky Bolt said:

My parents had dial up back when dial up was a thing, but I don't remember when they got regular internet exactly. 

I know that didn't start using internet until about 2010. 

OH. This seems about right. ^_^

I can't remember the exact age I started, but it was probably around 9 years old or so. The earliest time I remember using the internet was going on a website to play a game called Animal Jam, an exploration game where you can do various activities like play mini-games and hang out with other players.

• Brohoof 1

Huh. Surprised I haven't posted in this one before.

I first started to use the Internet back in the 80's, before it was actually the Internet. Technically, I remember using CSNET, to do stuff on a 'supercomputer' in either Pittsburgh or Princeton. But the main real thing was Usenet, which was kinda a distributed bulletin board system on it's own network before it got linked into the internet. If there's archives of that archaic nonsense out there, 'Fhaolan' is probably buried in there somewhere.

• 7 months later...

I remember as young as 3 years old I be on the internet but I had to be accompanied back in those times. I also played them cd roms though that was fun. These days cd roms are dead.