Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When is the best time to get married?

Shankveld

Simply share on when you think is the best time for two people to be married.

You can include details such as age,

finical well-being,

details of relationship closeness,

time they've been together.

etc.

~

When you knock her up.

Wedlock it up. Topic over.

Nah, joking, but in all seriousness, 23 or older, both parties have some career/income, been together for over a year minimum I'll say.

• Brohoof 1

It all depends on the timing. Usually whenever you feel ready to pop the question you're usually right on time. But the right age for me would be like in my mid 20's or later. It also means that you must be responsible and ready to get married. I would want to be married to the one that was the one, the girl that likes me for me and share the rest of my life with her. Anyway to sum it up I would say whenever you and your partner feel like your ready but make sure they're ready or you might get rejected or humilated, especially if you do it in front of alot of people. :]

• Brohoof 3

I'd say they really have to know eachother, and be more than just physically ready.

I'm not talking "met at the malt shop last Thursday"

I'm talking "met at the malt shop...when we were twelve. She slipped on a french fry and spilled her strawberry double onto herself and my table. I didn't freak out though, I just helped her up and offered to help clean her up. Her eyes met mine, and mine met hers, but we were only twelve; and could care less. Never saw her again until high-school. And didn't know it was her until senior year. Then we dated for a while, had a few arguments; but we worked through them realizing it's natural to fight sometimes. We got married when we were ready."

The way I see it, if the two are ready, then they should be married. But when they are ready is debatable. I do not see this as an age restriction. I meet many people who get married, are old, have great jobs, but are then divorced for silly reasons. Most often, they were not ready to be married. On the other hand, I meet people who are married at young ages; and their marriage is still going on today.

When their love is stronger than their fights, I see no problem in a marriage. However when they think their love is strong, but it really isn't; is when I don't approve for young marriages.

Go ahead and kill me for this, but in most cases I am not against arranged marriages for this reason. Regardless of who they are, they were trained at birth to "be ready" for whomever they would be destined to marry. All that crap about 'true love' and 'finding the right person' to avoid an arranged marriage only happens in the movies. In most cases it's been a simple "just marry her...you'll get to have a room full of concubines anyway."

Edited by Fghik

NEVER, everyone I know has in some form regretted it, everyone should listen to me so the human race drives it's self into the ground, and everyone dies.

a good debate will have two sides (or more?) of the argument..

Edited by Flare

Ah, Shankveld, you always make the most interesting topics! Anyway...

I think the best time is in one's twenties as well for a very very general number and as something I'd want to do. But if you are truly ready to do so before that, then who should stop you? There are occasions where the two people are younger and still very much in love and are quite certain that they'll spend the rest of their lives together.

Maybe you feel that's too early as well! And might want to do it later in life because the 20's can also be a sort of unstable, unestablished time. Which is also fine.

It depends on other factors such as the mental maturity of the two people involved, how much they love each other, the dynamics of their relationship... basically, I'd say it's whenever the two people involved are ready because you really shouldn't let an arbitrary amount of time stop you from living your life the way you want to. But I really would not recommend being married as a younger teen unless you were really sure it'd work out. Because usually, you don't have your life (and emotions) together enough to do that.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough
  • Brohoof 1

Probably mid twenties, it seems like the best time based upon the facts about mental maturity and stuff. Although I can see where Arylett is coming from, a healthy relationship is truly based upon emotions and feelings for one another, which is not always age specific. I also can see where Flare is coming too though, it really is a shame that the statistics for staying together are this low and that divorce rates have grown in popularity so much. I think if there was a way to adapt the whole mentality behind love and toleration into relationships things could get better. Just my 2 cents :P

Us Europeans usually take marriage to the later years, like when you're thirty or even forty, we like to get our financial status stable before we do such a "drastic" thing. Of course, I'm not saying that all of us do it (think the word "us" sounds a bit odd, It's like I already have a familly, which I don't have), but I guess the majority do it, or so I heard.

For me, the best time to get married is when you get to know the person, you can understand his/hers feelings and you can support him/her at hard times when it's needed. Of course we shouldn't forget about love to. Personally, I like the more reserved and loyal ladies, that are smart yet funny and would never cheat on me, because I would never betray anyone I love/like. And I just hate when they love your money, but not you. And I think people should take marriage more seriously, because 50-75% of families divorce nowerdays, because they get married to erly and/or without any experience and tips from theyr famillies/friends/books. I'm not saying this about everyone, no, but a lot of people fail at creating a familly and keeping it together for many many years.

Oh and by the way, us men should enjoy our lives atleast for a year or two before we start dating/marrying a women, because marriage = prison. :D

I personally don't think people should marry until they are financially and emotionally ready. Too many divorces happen because people rush into marriage after believing they've found love. If I had to choose an age range, I'd say by the late 30s is when I think anyone should even consider getting married.

• Brohoof 1

I think the main focus should be emotional stability more than anything else, but off topic, how come half the people on this thread have avatars from other shows? Edited by Ice
  • Brohoof 1

I think the main focus should be emotional stability more than anything else, but off topic, how come half the people on this thread have avatars from other shows?

Does everyone need a pony avatar? I don't even care much for MLP, but there are some great people around here.

I think the main focus should be emotional stability more than anything else, but off topic, how come half the people on this thread have avatars from other shows?

Racist. :angry:

• Brohoof 1

Does everyone need a pony avatar? I don't even care much for MLP, but there are some great people around here.

You're new here. When I first joined the forums (a couple months back) a non-pony avatar was practically unheard of. I think that Crispy and Flare were the first ones to do it, followed by Shankveld.

• Brohoof 1

alright then, my views on marriage

first of all, love.

if you don't love each other, don't get married.

think about it. you're going to spend your entire life living with your partner. you gotta ask yourself, if you're both willing to go through the hard times and good times with each other, if you're able to stand waking up the next morning lying next to each other, if you're willing to support each other when one of the parts isn't well, if you're able to see past the physical intimacy of a relationship, etc.

in short, you gotta ask yourself: do you LOVE each other?

secondly, are you able to handle a marriage, financially? marriage is just a legal contract that you 2 are living together, that is acknowledged in a variety of ways in society, so you don't have to go through with all the bells and whistles of a ceremony if you're unable to. marriage is far too romantisized nowadays, anyway.

but are you really able to live together, financially speaking? you may love each other, but have you finished your education, are you 2 both working somewhere, do you have a steady income? even love cannot grant you the wealth of financial independence, you still have to earn some sort of income through whatever kind of work that you are doing.

so if you're getting married, and am unable to maintain it financially, i'd say hold onto it until you can afford to live together somewhere. you don't want to be put deeply into dept, do you?

that's the major reasons i can think of, anyway.

then there's also a number of other things dependant on marriage, such as family. even if you 2 love each other, a part of someone's family might have different opinions on it. what if one family HATES the other one? that might make family visits incredibly awkward and heated up arguments would occur. might be a good idea to come to good terms with each others' families, take the time to get to know them better, as well. who knows, behind all that reactional hate, maybe things wasn't so bad, after all?

then there's also regional barriers. what if you fell in love with someone who lives in a entirely different country than you? what will you do? just moving to the other part's country may sound easier than it sounds, there's bound to be several differences in region, employment, as well as the dreaded language barrier! English might be the universal language, but that doesn't mean you can go by perfectly fine by just it in countries such as Sweden, France, Spain, etc. one part may have to learn an entirely new language in that case, and it isn't always the easiest thing, especially around older ages!

what about gender barriers? it has been permanently etched into peoples' minds that love and marriage is to be between a man and a woman. but what if you 2 are of the same gender?

love holds no boundaries, of course, but different countries beg to differ. what if the country you live in doesn't support same-sex marriages? then you would be unable to get the same privileges married couples do, making it harder to financially, and legally, be able to live together. only 10 countries allow same-sex marriages, and several other countries allow something called civil partnerships, granting rights equal to those of marriages to same-sex couples. but even then, not every country allows it.

and... that's pretty much my views on marriage. it took way too long to type and my head hurts now, but 'twas worth it.

• Brohoof 2

Firstly, make sure both of you love each other rather than being a one sided love or simply a fling date. I really don't have an age because I believe in total freedom from every restraint put on due to ideologies rather than logic so here's a guideline:

Be ready to support each other and a possible child. Big emphasis on support EACH OTHER. That menas that a relationship based on symbiosis rather than one person getting all the benefits. Which means that either both members of the relationship have a job and share the workload at home. Or one of the people has a high enough paying job to work and the other person simply does house work.

/: Am I the only girl on this website who doesn't want to marry someone?

So for me, the answer to OP's question would be "Never".

But otherwise, I don't think there's a certain time period in which marriage is the best option.

How about when you meet the right person and only if you seriously consider the things that Viscra talked about?

Then I'd think it would be the right time.

But if you ask me, nothing lasts forever.

• Brohoof 3

I think that Crispy and Flare were the first ones to do it, followed by Shankveld.

I've never had a pony avatar, the can is what I use for every forum I'm a part of. ;)

• Brohoof 2