Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Video game music or real music?

~Sugar Sprinkles~

29 users have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer? Video game music or real music

• Video game
    • Real music (Like pop, rock, rap, etc)

I would personally choose Video game more than Real, but however, I do like real music too, I'd just choose video game a lot more than the real. I dunno, I just like soundtracks from the games I love to play :P Hehe Edited by Sugar Sprinkles

Hohoho.

I picked both.

There's no way to decide that man! It's impossible!

I mean I love both styles and I'm going to the Zelda Symphony :3

I'm not sure what aspect of video game music disqualifies it from being "real" music. Video games have everything from rap to classical and every genre in between. :o But I do tend to listen to an awful lot of game soundtracks, combined with a few favourites from the world of FiM.

I mean I love both styles and I'm going to the Zelda Symphony :3

You're gonna love it. I went to the Symphony of the Goddesses when it was in Vancouver, and it was a hugely enjoyable concert. Bring a camera and your 3DS (if you have one) - there's gonna be a whole lot of cosplay and StreetPassing!

• Brohoof 8

I must protest - video game music is no less 'real' than any other form of music. What exactly sets it apart from everything else? ;)

I've enjoyed a couple performances by the Video Game Orchestra, and folks like Metroid Metal; they were all just as enjoyable as the 'real' concerts I've gone to. :lol:

• Brohoof 5

Personally, I chose videogame music as well. This is not to say that I don't like music outside of video games. My reason for choosing videogame music is because it doesn't just exist by itself. When I hear a song from a game that I've played, my mind goes back to when I was playing it and I see the same visuals and I get the same experience of wonder that I felt.

For me, I listen to non-videogame music when I am working or running or something else like that. Certainly, there are a few songs that conjure up some emotions for me, but with videogame music I get that awesome feeling every single time.

(By the way, I think it's worth considering that the line between what is videogame music and what isn't videogame music is pretty blurred. Lots of songs from outside of the world of gaming are often used in games to great effect, so I suppose that I should have voted for both things.)

• Brohoof 2

I must protest - video game music is no less 'real' than any other form of music. What exactly sets it apart from everything else? ;)

I feel this stems from the same type of argument that electronic music is less music because it isn't made with the old definition of an instrument. Which is a dated argument in itself, as video game music isn't just 8-bit beeps and boops anymore.

I like both. Have one that is both.

• Brohoof 1

I really can't decide. I chose real music because I listen to that move, but they're both awesome. It just really depends what mood I'm in. If I want to epicly jump off a cliff with a parachute, video game music ftw. However, just sitting on the couch in my house is definitely real music.

Which is a dated argument in itself, as video game music isn't just 8-bit beeps and boops anymore.

Very good point, actually. The Silent Hill series is a fairly good example of this; while much of the music is fairly rough and ambient (not a bad thing, mind you), it also makes very good use of tracks like the following:

I feel this stems from the same type of argument that electronic music is less music because it isn't made with the old definition of an instrument. Which is a dated argument in itself, as video game music isn't just 8-bit beeps and boops anymore.

I like both. Have one that is both.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYtrOjtFaRM

This game had the best sound track. This is the first thing I always think of when I hear "video game music".

I've got to agree with the other users. Music is an expression of one's thoughts/feelings via rhythmic... yada yada. Video game music still sends out a message nonetheless, and just because it's in a video game doesn't mean that it makes it any less of "music". If you mean video game music as in 8-bit/16-bit/whatever, then I usually lean away from "video game" music.

That would be the closest thing to 8-bit/chiptune/whatever the hell you wanna call it music that I like. If you mean any other kind of video game soundtrack, then I still usually veer towards non-video game soundtrack music, simply because my favourite genres and whatnot are never implemented in video games.

When I'm playing games, I never listen to real music. I'm so OCD about it, it'd probably drive me crazy. However, if I were just listening to music, I'd pick a combination of both, as there's some great soundtracks out there.

~~

There's no longer a disparity. Video game scores are now just as inspired and inspirational as anything more "traditional." Without any doubt or hesitation I can say that my favorite game soundtrack of all time is from the first Baldur's Gate. There were pieces that could move you in every possible way and always at an appropriate time. Even the tavern music was perfect. Absolutely beautiful.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly there's beginning to be a change between Video Game music and real music on some situations when it comes to Sega & Sonic Team they started using sung music beginning with Sonic R then when the Sonic Adventure came out they started with having sung themes for each character the same happened with SA2 and the first sung stage after a while City Escape then Shadow The Hedgehog with the song " All Of Me " honestly ya can't find one modern Sonic game that doesn't have a sang tune Generations counts in this list just cause of City Escape but i'm beat when it comes to Sonic 4. Super Mario Galaxy got a piece of it also since some of the games music was made by a real orchestra. I'd choose any music really as long as it has a good beat ya should of left that up as a choice.

• Brohoof 1

(input generic "video game music IS real music" comment here)

I do prefer music without lyrics, but there are plenty of songs that I love. What I listen to really depends on my mood.

when the Sonic Adventure came out they started with having sung themes for each character the same happened with SA2 and the first sung stage after a while City Escape then Shadow The Hedgehog with the song " All Of Me " honestly ya can't find one modern Sonic game that doesn't have a sang tune Generations counts in this list just cause of City Escape but i'm beat when it comes to Sonic 4.

I love Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 battle.

Escape from the City and Live and Learn are just awesome songs

Edited by Hollowshield

Just gonna say that I agree with other peoples' arguments that video game music is real music. I also want to point out that, following the logic of the thread and poll, that this is real music, but

isn't. Just... let that sink in.

Though, I prefer VGM, and it's what I'm always listening to. I do listen to non-VGM, but not as often, and I don't listen to any of that typical lovey-dovey crap. :P

And music doesn't have to have lyrics in order to be "real music".

Edited by Chainsaw Bouffant

Technically they are the same thing. Video game music is made with real instruments (or at least an emulated instrument that sounds identical to the original) and there's "real music" out there made with the same methods of video game music from the past and present.

Any form of electronic music can be considered "video game music" purely by the method in which it's made. It works the other way as well. Video game music isn't exactly special or separate from other kinds of music. Gamers like to believe so because it's made specifically for a video game and not reused in most other places like a Katy Perry song would be but there is no difference between the two except for the reason they are made, and even then the base reason is still the same: For enjoyment for he who listens or to make money. Usually both.

Edited by Resulli

For the sake of this argument, I have taken two completely random songs, one video game, and one 'real' music. Let's compare the two, shall we?

Edited by Dusk Eninama Ace Attorney

Real music ya know. The kind made with real instruments and has lyrics written by real people. It's kind of weird comparing theses two don't you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58o17dnB6hk

For the sake of this argument, I have taken two completely random songs, one video game, and one 'real' music. Let's compare the two, shall we?

Dude of all the "real" music out there, why would you choose Rebbecca Black? Why would you choose a song everybody seems to hate? Pokemon games tend to have a really good soundtrack IMO. (Sorry I couldn't post your vids :( I can't post more than two vids.)

Edited by Neighvana666
  • Brohoof 1

I'd prefer video game soundtracks any day. I hardly listen to the radio now, I'm not a fan of most of the stuff they play really...

Anyway, this is one of my favourite tracks. Ethan Mars' Theme from the PS3 game Heavy Rain. This track has got a depressing mood to it, but I find it really calming.

http://youtu.be/ys11lCc_4_c

Edited by indySkye

I'm not sure what aspect of video game music disqualifies it from being "real" music. Video games have everything from rap to classical and every genre in between. :o But I do tend to listen to an awful lot of game soundtracks, combined with a few favourites from the world of FiM.

You're gonna love it. I went to the Symphony of the Goddesses when it was in Vancouver, and it was a hugely enjoyable concert. Bring a camera and your 3DS (if you have one) - there's gonna be a whole lot of cosplay and StreetPassing!

I'm so excited. My boyfriend and I are going together and we're both huge Zelda fans. I have some stuff to cosplay with but I'm not gonna be over the top :)

Real music, mainly because I get a bigger buzz from it than from whatever soundtrack the game has put it. Video game music does have some nice pacing, but it doesn't have enough of a hold to make me want to listen on a daily basis.