Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My dad says i should be ashamed about watching MLP

Kalypso

So today we got netflix and we were searching through the shows and i saw My Little Pony on there and got all excited about it, then my parents both shot me strange looks and my dad said you should be ashamed of watching that and being excited about it. I don't know what i should do help i don't want my dad to be mad at me or ashamed of me. :(

Don't listen to them, it's what you like, and no one should be able to control that. You should try talking to them, and tell them why it's a great show, and why you like it.

• Brohoof 15

The only one who should be ashamed is your father for looking down on what you like.

He might not know how big this is, so if you want to, you can talk to him about it.

• Brohoof 18

My parents are strict traditional Russians. How do you think they felt about me......but I really don't care what they think. I can be whatever I want, they don't influence me to do anything anymore. Besides they live back in Russia, can't get me in Alaska :D

• Brohoof 17

There's nothing wrong with watching a TV show, despite who the intended audience is for. Though, don't talk back to him or anything, but it's ridiculous when a father would look down on his boy just because of a TV show.

• Brohoof 3

Aw :/ What I'd do is ask my dad why. He always got some reasoning behind it. If you think he's missed something like everyone does about My Little Pony then just explain that it's an awesome show (I find that bit easy - converted 6 people to bronyism since I've started on it last month!) But if you're confused about your father's words you should really ask him :P

+1 on talking to him. It's the best way to avoid misunderstandings. I didn't understand it until I started watching the show. Now I see how good and positive it is. A common belief is that it makes you less of a man for watching the show. If you knew me, you'd know that couldn't be further from the truth...

If your dad doesn't like it then don't bother with what he said he can't make you not like something and you shouldn't be ashamed about it but he is still your father and he means the best for you and if he hasen't seen it then explain the show to him get him to watch an episode or 2, every parent has something they don't like about there kid my dad doesn't like the fact i don't like sports and listen to music all the time but i just ignore it

Edited by TechnoDash

Someone hand me the knives

Don't listen to the guy, he should be ashamed to tell someone that who enjoys something that is intended to be light-hearted and fun.

Typical parents these days, saying things that would come out of an eleven-year-old's mouth...

• Brohoof 1

I must say...

Your dad must be pretty stupid to actually judge his own son, His own beloved child, upon what kind of show his son watches.

That is just sick. You should be able to watch what you want to watch without anyone giving you crap about it. Be proud of your bronydom, no one should ever feel bad because of what someone says. Stand up for who you are, dont let him say something like that.

Bronies are cool. Dont let people tell you otherwise.

-Scratch

• Brohoof 4

I can think of plenty of television shows people should be ashamed of watching (Including earlier generations of MLP). FiM is not one of those shows.

Now, if you were planning on watching Jersey Shore, then I could understand your dad being ashamed of you.

• Brohoof 3

What the heck ever. There are dozens of shows on now with more violence, less character development, lower quality comedy and with worse quality writing that he probably wouldn't bat an eye if you enjoyed them. Just don't worry about it. I'm sorry for you, it can't be easy hearing that from your dad. Try not to get too offended though, it's kind of default for a lot if us to be critical of things before we understand them, it's something I've had to try to supress within myself. I wish I could give you better advice but I don't really know your dad and don't want to make assumptions about how he would react to anything you do.

Don't let others judge you over a show you enjoy. That really bugs me when it's the parents who mistreat their children for liking MLP.

If they keep irritating you, just roll your eyes and ignore them.

Don't worry, you're definitely not the only one with that problem. I don't have it quite as bad, but my dad just says it's nothing to be proud of. I know you should honor thy mother and father, plus love and tolerate, but if you got nothing good to say about it, then shove it. But yeah, you're among friends here.

Your dad has no concept of the show and what it actually is, his opinion is more or less null. He's looking at the show and is, like most online haters, seeing nothing but the girly toys of the past generations, when in reality, that's as far from the truth as you can get. Don't let it bug you; he's ignorant of something and is naturally going to shun it.

• Brohoof 4

<sees topic title, sees that it's in shugarcube corner.> not sure if troll. just in case you aren't though, here's my two bits.

I know what you mean man, I haven't told my dad about it because I know he would flip his lid. my mother doesn't like it, but she tries to be supportive. My advice tou you would be to let him know that, no, you are NOT ashamed of watching 'my little pony', and that HE should be ashamed for telling you not to like something, and that if there is anything you are ashamed of, it's that your father is a narrow minded jerkface. in the nicest way possible of course.

When my mom's boyfriend found out I was a brony, he said I'm "too old to be watching that" and I didn't say anything because I didn't know what to say. I probably should have said something like "tell that to the millions of other adult males who watch it."

You should tell your dad to stop being such a close-minded jerk.

Oh wow you might as well just not talk about it to him if he's gonna be like that.

Just one of the "just because" haters. /: He hasn't even watched the show and he says people should be ashamed about watching it.

You shouldn't feel bad whatsoever just for watching a good television show. That is all.

Note: You should at least try to tell him it's a nice show...

Edited by ~Wubs~

Just ask him why. There's no reason to be ashamed of what you love. So, tell him that, even though he thinks it's strange, it's not obscure and obsolete, and that it's better than Jersey Shore or whatever kids watch these days.

To be honest, this is exactly why I can't tell my parents about me being a brony, they aren't accepting of the fandom, for one, and secondly, they don't exactly hold the highest opinion on my judgement of quality, so telling them I like this show...I can't see it going well.

Don't listen to them, it's what you like, and no one should be able to control that. You should try talking to them, and tell them why it's a great show, and why you like it.

The only one who should be ashamed is your father for looking down on what you like.

He might not know how big this is, so if you want to, you can talk to him about it.

Tell your dad he's wrong and say it's not what you think, if you like MLP then he has no right to tell you off not to watch something you like.

My parents are strict traditional Russians. How do you think they felt about me......but I really don't care what they think. I can be whatever I want, they don't influence me to do anything anymore. Besides they live back in Russia, can't get me in Alaska :D

There's nothing wrong with watching a TV show, despite who the intended audience is for. Though, don't talk back to him or anything, but it's ridiculous when a father would look down on his boy just because of a TV show.

Aw :/ What I'd do is ask my dad why. He always got some reasoning behind it. If you think he's missed something like everyone does about My Little Pony then just explain that it's an awesome show (I find that bit easy - converted 6 people to bronyism since I've started on it last month!) But if you're confused about your father's words you should really ask him :P

He probably just doesn't know what the new one is. The best course of action is just to explain and show it to him, at least I think so.

+1 on talking to him. It's the best way to avoid misunderstandings. I didn't understand it until I started watching the show. Now I see how good and positive it is. A common belief is that it makes you less of a man for watching the show. If you knew me, you'd know that couldn't be further from the truth...

If your dad doesn't like it then don't bother with what he said he can't make you not like something and you shouldn't be ashamed about it but he is still your father and he means the best for you and if he hasen't seen it then explain the show to him get him to watch an episode or 2, every parent has something they don't like about there kid my dad doesn't like the fact i don't like sports and listen to music all the time but i just ignore it

Someone hand me the knives

Don't listen to the guy, he should be ashamed to tell someone that who enjoys something that is intended to be light-hearted and fun.

Typical parents these days, saying things that would come out of an eleven-year-old's mouth...

I must say...

Your dad must be pretty stupid to actually judge his own son, His own beloved child, upon what kind of show his son watches.

That is just sick. You should be able to watch what you want to watch without anyone giving you crap about it. Be proud of your bronydom, no one should ever feel bad because of what someone says. Stand up for who you are, dont let him say something like that.

Bronies are cool. Dont let people tell you otherwise.

-Scratch

I can think of plenty of television shows people should be ashamed of watching (Including earlier generations of MLP). FiM is not one of those shows.

Now, if you were planning on watching Jersey Shore, then I could understand your dad being ashamed of you.

What the heck ever. There are dozens of shows on now with more violence, less character development, lower quality comedy and with worse quality writing that he probably wouldn't bat an eye if you enjoyed them. Just don't worry about it. I'm sorry for you, it can't be easy hearing that from your dad. Try not to get too offended though, it's kind of default for a lot if us to be critical of things before we understand them, it's something I've had to try to supress within myself. I wish I could give you better advice but I don't really know your dad and don't want to make assumptions about how he would react to anything you do.

Prince Solaris says your dad should be ashamed for being so narrow minded about this. Sadly, he may not listen to you if you tru to tell him about its atmosphere.

Don't let others judge you over a show you enjoy. That really bugs me when it's the parents who mistreat their children for liking MLP.

If they keep irritating you, just roll your eyes and ignore them.

Don't worry, you're definitely not the only one with that problem. I don't have it quite as bad, but my dad just says it's nothing to be proud of. I know you should honor thy mother and father, plus love and tolerate, but if you got nothing good to say about it, then shove it. But yeah, you're among friends here.

Your dad has no concept of the show and what it actually is, his opinion is more or less null. He's looking at the show and is, like most online haters, seeing nothing but the girly toys of the past generations, when in reality, that's as far from the truth as you can get. Don't let it bug you; he's ignorant of something and is naturally going to shun it.

<sees topic title, sees that it's in shugarcube corner.> not sure if troll. just in case you aren't though, here's my two bits.

I know what you mean man, I haven't told my dad about it because I know he would flip his lid. my mother doesn't like it, but she tries to be supportive. My advice tou you would be to let him know that, no, you are NOT ashamed of watching 'my little pony', and that HE should be ashamed for telling you not to like something, and that if there is anything you are ashamed of, it's that your father is a narrow minded jerkface. in the nicest way possible of course.

When my mom's boyfriend found out I was a brony, he said I'm "too old to be watching that" and I didn't say anything because I didn't know what to say. I probably should have said something like "tell that to the millions of other adult males who watch it."

You should tell your dad to stop being such a close-minded jerk.

thank you guys so much for being so supportive i plan on talking with him in the morning seeing as he is asleep right now and no I'm not trolling I just didn't know where to put it, thank you guys again
  • Brohoof 6

I try to make sure I ask my dad to watch Naruto and My Little Pony almost every chance I get. It annoys him a lot and he'll probably never say yes even though pretty much every single animated movie or cartoon I've suggested to him he's ended up liking... Like Wall-E and How to Train Your Dragon and he used to watch Ed Edd n Eddy with me a bit before school a long time ago.

I've tried to make deals with him where I would read one of his books if he watched like 10-15 episodes but nothings really worked yet lol.

I need to get him to watch Fullmetal Alchemist too..

• Brohoof 1