Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Holiday Apathy and Growing Older

CapnKrunk

Not really. I always get psyched for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and sometimes Easter but that's only for those goddamn Cadburry Eggs.

I think the only holiday that I am now disinterested in is Halloween but that's just because I'm too lazy to pick out a costume idea nowadays haha.

In fact, the only reason I'm actually really excited for these holidays is for the food. I mean, let's face it, without Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, there's just no fun in it. And without a special New Year's Eve party, it's just not a holiday at all.

• Brohoof 1

Im a loooooot older than you and still love the holidays. I believe most of the people just start taking some stuff toooo serious and I don't take anything as serious as most of the people. Just Saying

Quite the opposite. As I've gotten older I've come to realize that every year I'm slightly less interested in holidays. I'm bored out of my mind at Thanksgiving, don't go out for Halloween, don't get as excited about Christmas any more. I even almost forgot my own birthday last year.

• Brohoof 1

Not you get less caring about festival or anything like that. You just get bored.

You start to miss all those happy times when you're younger with your friends, and the youngsters get more and more reckless compared to you when you're young, therefore you feel left behind.

Its not really true for everyone, some people enjoy certain holidays even more as they get older. And some enjoy them less. It just depends on who you are.

Only holiday I really have cared alot less about is Halloween as I've got older, but only because its kinda awkward trick or treating at 15 and I'm to lazy to get any costume ideas together.

I enjoy hanging out with my friends and family during big events and holidays, but I do feel like I don't care for the actual holiday by only a tad bit >.< I still love Christmas and New Year, but I'm not so fond of my birthday because I feel like I'm just getting stuff I don't really need and I'm using other peoples money x(

Yes, I agree. But it might have something to with that Sweden is EXTREMELY BORING and no one gives a fuck about holidays and such. Seriously, easter and halloween exists, but no one celebrates it at all. Chrismas is the only thing I see people actually celebrating, and maybe new year.

Sweden doesn't have any more holidays! D:

Christmas/Birthdays = free shit

Halloween and Easter= free/cheap candy

Thanksgiving = free food if you have family in the area and you aren't hosting them

New Years = free excuse to party

Independence Day = free excuse to blow shit up

I love holidays and festivities, personally. Materialism ftw :D

• Brohoof 2

I enjoy hanging out with my friends and family during big events and holidays

Oh, I think it`s the best thing in holidays. I am always glad to spend some time with people I appreciate.

Halloween and Christmas are my favorite holidays. I so much like that fairy atmosphere... it seems like miracles in those days always come true C:

And of course it`s not a holiday without party :D

• Brohoof 1

I never cared for any of that stuff, even when others would. I almost find modern holidays to be rather pretencious, & in reality there's about only 1 festivity I find important. If it makes you happy though, celebrate till your hearts content.

Edited by SrFrog

No. Anytime I have to actually socialize with my family isn't a good day for me. I mean Christmas at home is ok, but Thanksgiving, Easter, and 4th of July, just don't get me excited any more.

I still get excited for Thanksgiving, it's the one holiday that actually brings my family together. Though for the other holidays, I with you there. Valentine's day is useless to me as, I've sworn off complicated relationships, I still like making friends mind you, but if your looking for a friend with benefits then keep walking. Halloween, from 15 onward it seemed to be more of a young people's game. Never saw the appeal of Easter, other then at the time it was a day off from school. Christmas, grew up poor, and my extended family didn't care much for my immediate family, what can you do?

Christmas hasn't felt the same for me since the Christmas right before I turned 18. However, I wouldn't cite it as a result of me getting older, or at least not solely so. It really has been different since, in my case.

In any case, I still love a lot of things about Christmas. It's just the magic of waiting for that day is lost.

Halloween and the other holidays I have never particularly loved. I for one have never really seen the appeal of Halloween. I do see the appeal of Thanksgiving. It's good to appreciate what you have. However, that one falls short for me personally as well because I'm not big on eating. The other holidays I also don't pay much attention to. Easter? I hate Spring. Valentine's Day? Love is not happening for me.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Yes and no. Yes because you may not get the same feelings like you used to get (Like how I am with Christmas). No because if you have certain family members (Such as children or another relative close to you) or friends or other folks,  it could be a bit more special to you to see them enjoying themselves on that holiday.

Actually, I never really got "psyched" about holidays. They were days off from school, sure, and now they're paid days off from work. Still, they're just days. I do weird (meaning 'outside of my normal routine) things around holiday time, like Thanksgiving day, I avoided my phone and PC like they were the source of the plague. Family days, what have you. I guess I've just never seen it as a reason to get excited? Though, this past Halloween was the first time I dressed up in a decade. It was fun. :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

I care less and less every year. Christmas used to be this big thing, getting some big presents and being able to see my extended family. Now, it's like... ehh. I'm not exactly hurting for money, so I can pretty much buy most of the little things that I want at any time of the year. I also live near my extended family now, so making the ridiculously long drive to celebrate Christmas with relatives is a thing of the past.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 1

It all really depends. For me it is true. Lately I haven't been caring about holidays. On Thanksgiving I was so monotone and not festive. However, Christmas is my favorite so I'm not sure how I will react.  :bedeyes:

Well, it is true that my enthusiasm for holidays and annual celebrations has dwindled. That excitement of waiting for the big days just doesn't exist much anymore. While age & maturity does play a part in that for me, it's not the sole reason.

Really, one thing that has kinda spoiled the holidays and birthdays for me has been almost constant infighting/arguments amongst my family; especially my parents. Honestly, when a day like Christmas or Mothers Day approaches, this sense of dread seems to occupy part of my consciousness. It's like I'm waiting in the trenches for something big to go off and the yelling to start. It's happened too many times and has just...soured my holiday expectations with my family.

Of course, I won't say that my holidays are 100% spoiled & all as I do tend to enjoy them one way or another, but...yeah. Maybe one day when I'm moved out or whatever I can approach them with a fresh view. Ah well...

• Brohoof 1

I would say yes and no..

Things like thanksgiving never thanksgivings not exicted me.. it was just another day to eat a lot of not so great food and have people lay around all day.. But I guess your with family so thats ok..

Christmas I still get exicted about... I like the lights, decorations, music and the real meaning for the season!