Scootaloo singing ability?

XUNUSEDXXX

As most of you know, Scootaloo can't sing, as shown in the talent show episode. But then in the most recent episode (One Bad Apple), as shown in this episode's song:

She actually can sing great at 0:15. What's up with that? xP

Edited by Scootabloom
  • Brohoof 7

I've noticed that, a lot of the time, every time Fluttershy learns a lesson about not being ridiculously shy, she forgets it in later episodes.

Kind of sad, really. Fluttershy is a cutie, but it's like the writers just can't let go of her being a doormat.

Wasn't Scootaloo flying in that episode?I thought it was supposed to be physically impossible for her to fly.I can't really think of anything else right now xD

Dunno if my eyes are deceiving me, but she seemed to just be hovering a few feet off the ground which she has shown she has the capability to do.

• Brohoof 3

I see that less of an inconsistency and more of character development. Scootaloo probably spent a lot of time practicing her singing after the talent show incident, and she has always been trying to fly. Give her credit for the progress she has made!

She didn't really fly, just hovered. She has always been able to make some use of her wings despite her disability (which hasn't yet been covered in the show, only unofficially by Lauren Faust).

Edited by Auryn

Yeah, I noticed that too. At the talent show, she couldn't sing at all yet for this song, she sang really well. I can understand this though, because it wouldn't be fair to only have 2 of them sing while Scootaloo sits out or worse, having here ruin the song.

• Brohoof 2

Well, maybe she developed her singing abilities without us knowing? Consider the fact that Scootaloo's actress was supposed to sing terribly for the CMC theme song. You know, a real test would be to see how well she sings on her own. I would love to see that in her featured episode.

Edited by Derpity Derp

because it wouldn't be fair to only have 2 of them sing while Scootaloo sits out or worse, having here ruin the song.

But there was a CMC song a while back called The Perfect Stallion and Scootaloo didn't seem to be able to sing... Or maybe I just didn't hear her sing in that song.
  • Brohoof 1

But there was a CMC song a while back called The Perfect Stallion and Scootaloo didn't seem to be able to sing... Or maybe I just didn't hear her sing in that song.

More of the second thing. She sang but only when she was singing with the rest of the Crusaders, which effectively hid her voice.
  • Brohoof 1

There is no way the little pegassus can have some practice after all she likes to sing and with so many activities the CMC's have they a growing new stuff every day

Edited by Colt

More of the second thing. She sang but only when she was singing with the rest of the Crusaders, which effectively hid her voice.

But why would they suddenly make her able to sing great on her own at this point of the story?

Maybe Scootaloo just tries to imitate Sweetie Belle when she sings now, or maybe she's been practicing behind the scenes. It's a mystery!

IDK if it's just me, but I would think they would at least give us a hint somewhere in the show that she had been practicing since then.

You have to remember, I don't think Scootaloo knew she sang terribly at that one talent show.

• Brohoof 3

Maybe scootaloo just is terribe at singing that style of music? Meh seems unlikely. I mean its certainly not the voice actor who does her singings falt or anything, she can sing thats for sure.

Now scootaloo singing idk, I mean only thing I can think of is shes been practicing or something. She does seem to be able to flutter now even though I don't know if she'll ever be able to truly fly. (pretty sure shes not planned to.) So maybe along with that she gained some talent with singing.

Also as a side note, I don't think of all the CMC Sweetiebelle sang any time in the bab's song on her own O-o and shes suppose to be the group singer.

Just something I noticed.

• Brohoof 1

The out of universe reason is that Scootaloo's voice actress is actually a talented singer, but for the talent show episode they had her deliberately sing badly for the plot (to show that the CMC really don't know what they're doing when it comes to cutie marks).

In universe reason? The same reason Pinkie sneezes confetti: pony magic.

Well, if we look at Scoot's original performance, her biggest problem was pitch. With two other ponies to harmonize with, she might have less of a hard time staying in key.

• Brohoof 3

I've noticed that, a lot of the time, every time Fluttershy learns a lesson about not being ridiculously shy, she forgets it in later episodes.

Kind of sad, really. Fluttershy is a cutie, but it's like the writers just can't let go of her being a doormat.

I see your point, and I have noticed it too; but when you're that deeply introverted, it takes ages to make much of a difference. And you can see her be assertive, even aggressive, at some points, more so than she used to be. Her personality as a whole is that she's shy, and through her whole life, she probably won't ever get rid of all of that.

She also seems like the type who would quickly fall back into being just as shy, or worse, if she found out people disliked her for what she was doing . . . she's very vulnerable that way. Been down that road myself; it's very possible.

Well, if we look at Scoot's original performance, her biggest problem was pitch. With two other ponies to harmonize with, she might have less of a hard time staying in key.

Hmm, that might be a possible theory. But it just seems peculiar to me that she is able to go from a horrendous singer to amazing just because some other ponies are setting the tone for her. I mean, she probably had a certain tone in mind when she sang the CMC song and she had already heard Sweetie Belle singing it, so I don't see why she couldn't find the right key then when she had already heard some examples of the song. To add, when the CMC were singing their song in the talent show, they all sang togetherat one point, so, if the other ponies singing together helps Scoots find her key, how come Scootaloo still couldn't find her key throughout the rest of the song?

Edited by Scootabloom

In the Show Stoppers, Scootaloo was trying too hard to be good, and ends up screaming each and every notes like a walrus

In this new episode, she had learned to actually sing sincerely. I believe that factor alone is enough to set apart trying to murder a cat by your voice with actual singing.

• Brohoof 5

In the Show Stoppers, Scootaloo was trying too hard to be good, and ends up screaming each and every notes like a walrus

In this new episode, she had learned to actually sing sincerely. I believe that factor alone is enough to set apart trying to murder a cat by your voice with actual singing.

I don't know if you can, but I can't start singing like a boss just because I wanted to learn how to sing sincerely. Also, it didn't mention anywhere that Scootaloo suddenly learned how to sing, and I had the mindset that they portrayed her throughout the show as a pony who can't sing.

It's like Sweetie Belle using magic out of nowhere without explanation when she has been portrayed as a pony who can't use magic (yet).

I actually forgot that Scootaloo attempted to sing in Show Stoppers but her performance was pretty poor if not funny. Needless to say, it looks like she's gotten better, maybe by working behind the scenes with Sweetie Belle (which should have given Sweetie her cutie mark...).

I don't know if you can, but I can't start singing like a boss just because I wanted to learn how to sing sincerely.

We are talking about magical candy-colored ponies here, where even the tardy twilie knows how to sing while spamming teleport.

Also, it didn't mention anywhere that Scootaloo suddenly learned how to sing, and I had the mindset that they portrayed her throughout the show as a pony who can't sing.

CMC can sing quite good on the Heart & Hooves Day

Other than the fact that Sweetie Belle desecrate the funeral, it's good enough imo

Well, assuming her bad singing is remaining a part of the continuity of the ongoing season, the only excuse I can think of within the story of the show would be that the song they sang had a relatively low octave and narrow range, so there weren't too many difficult notes for somepony like Scootaloo who's not the best of singers to reach.

However, I think the more likely scenario is that, for the sake of having an awesome song and trio, the producers decided to overlook Scootaloo's earlier bad singing in Season 1, and frankly, with the song we got, I don't blame them a bit, nor am I complaining! "Bad Seed" is now officially my favorite CMC song!!! :D

Edited by Batbrony

CMC can sing quite good on the Heart & Hooves Day

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM5gUXYcCv4

Other than the fact that Sweetie Belle desecrate the funeral, it's good enough imo

Sure, the other two sang well, but the only parts Scootaloo had any involvement in that song were speaking parts "His girlfriend sure thinks so," "He might do," "Doing anything for hearts and hooves day?" You get the idea. The only time she attempted to sing was when all three of the fillies sang at once, in which her voice was masked by the voices of the other two ponies, like Twiliscael said:

She sang but only when she was singing with the rest of the Crusaders, which effectively hid her voice.

So from that we cannot effectively tell if she had the capabilities to sing during that time period.

Well, assuming her bad singing is remaining a part of the continuity of the ongoing season, the only excuse I can think of within the story of the show would be that the song they sang had a relatively low octave and narrow range, so there weren't too many difficult notes for somepony like Scootaloo who's not the best of singers to reach.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uYt3hEmAtE

As shown in 0:34 of the video and many other parts, Scootaloo sang some pretty amateur notes and it still came out bad. So I don't think that's a possibility.

It could be like you said that the developers overlooked her singing abilities from earlier in the show, but who knows.

Edited by Scootabloom