Do you enjoy grimdark?

Wolf-Boy

115 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like grimdark?

• Yes!
    • Meh....kinda.
    • No.
    • DEAR GOD?! ARE YOU CRAZY?!

I saw someone post something about dark humour and Cupcakes... Well... *bangs head repeatedly against wall*

Thing is, some people like stuff like that. I can't stomach it. I'd say it's in the same league as Human Centipede, which I couldn't finish. I just don't have the stomach for it. I mean, graphically described violence is okay, like describing a war scene, but when you read about your favourite pony wearing entrails like a scarf... 

It's understandable to not be able to stomach something like Cupcakes

Though there are other fanfics out there that make Cupcakes look like a picture book

I haven't seen the Human Centipede and I don't plan on since it looks too stupid to me

And as I said before that's the whole purpose of the more grotesque grimdark

To make the reader feel traumatized from how disturbing it was

If you ask me there are different types of grimdark

You've got the ones that portray deeper meaning and tend to be more depressing

Then there's the ones that show death and horror related stuff

And finally you've got all of the crazy Cupcakes type stuff

Complete with approximately 30,000 Liters of blood

• Brohoof 1

It's understandable to not be able to stomach something like Cupcakes

Though there are other fanfics out there that make Cupcakes look like a picture book

I haven't seen the Human Centipede and I don't plan on since it looks too stupid to me

And as I said before that's the whole purpose of the more grotesque grimdark

To make the reader feel traumatized from how disturbing it was

If you ask me there are different types of grimdark

You've got the ones that portray deeper meaning and tend to be more depressing

Then there's the ones that show death and horror related stuff

And finally you've got all of the crazy Cupcakes type stuff

Complete with approximately 30,000 Liters of blood

I don't mind some grimdark stuff. Like the more depressing ones, rather than the incredibly graphic ones. I'm even helping run a Grimdark RP soon. I think it's just the grotesqueness of it, rather than the fact that it was Grimdark. I'm no expert, but I think that there are probably tamer ones that still qualify as Grimdark. Right?

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I like grimdark when it's also a good story aside from dark things. When some character is a crazy maniac because one day he decided "Hey, I want to be a maniac!", it's just bad. But when characters actually have reasons to do certain things, it's a sign of a good story and grimdark just makes it better.

I didn't really read any pony grimdark, but I love Berserk anime, which is the best grimdark creation in my opinion

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, Ooredelen said:

I like grimdark when it's also a good story aside from dark things. When some character is a crazy maniac because one day he decided "Hey, I want to be a maniac!", it's just bad. But when characters actually have reasons to do certain things, it's a sign of a good story and grimdark just makes it better.

I didn't really read any pony grimdark, but I love Berserk anime, which is the best grimdark creation in my opinion

Grimdark comes in many shapes and presentations. May I suggest you to try an old game called "Story of the blanks" to have an old grimdark experience from the hoof of our beloved fandom?

I would also like to add an opinion a few veterans had back in the day regarding what grimdark can be for FiM.

Anything breaking the idillic and perfect utopian state of the ponyverse would be grimdark for FiM. Things mundane for humans are alien for ponies. Things such as death, violence, drugs and even any sexual connotation for the matter, given the dream like light heartness of the source material. Grimdark just explores a far more crude reality never seen on FiM. Things don't even need to be over the top to reach that cynical feeling grimdark can portray.

So, pretty much, just break the perfection of the pony world and you'll be on grimdark territory.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Grimdark comes in many shapes and presentations. May I suggest you to try an old game called "Story of the blanks" to have an old grimdark experience from the hoof of our beloved fandom?

I would also like to add an opinion a few veterans had back in the day regarding what grimdark can be for FiM.

Anything breaking the idillic and perfect utopian state of the ponyverse would be grimdark for FiM. Things mundane for humans are alien for ponies. Things such as death, violence, drugs and even any sexual connotation for the matter, given the dream like light heartness of the source material. Grimdark just explores a far more crude reality never seen on FiM. Things don't even need to be over the top to reach that cynical feeling grimdark can portray.

So, pretty much, just break the perfection of the pony world and you'll be on grimdark territory.

Hm, with this logic FoE and my favorite Background Pony can also be considered grimdark:huh:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
38 minutes ago, Ooredelen said:

Hm, with this logic FoE and my favorite Background Pony can also be considered grimdark:huh:

Pretty much yeah.

Here's a good read if you're interested on this approach to the concept. :squee:

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2015/07/what-is-grimdark.html?m=1

Edited by Jesse Terrence
forgot the link, lol
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

Most of the people I know that like grimdark are mentally children. They are obsessed with it because of a deeply rooted fear that creates said obsession. I am not saying there aren't "normal" individuals out there who like the stuff. But those I've seen, it is like... "Mmm... I think there is something very wrong with this person". Like it has become a kind a "refuge" from reality for them. And they were all pretty weak specimens of humanity in the natural selection scale. So, it makes some sense. There is the very likely possibility that they may have been experiencing some internal conflict over the more crude aspects of our human nature. But then again. I am the type of person that always goes for the complex and the insecurity, and then twists until I can see them squirm. Like, "be honest with yourself". So, maybe I am the one who is actually wrong. But it is hard to tell inside a collective with such ingrained social engineering.

But no. I do not enjoy it. Any kind of extreme is often a warning sign. Still, I would enjoy a story with a healthy dose of violence. By which I mean honesty with the nature of our reality. But not to such absurd extents, eventhough reality has proven grimdark can be very real from time to time. But there is always some type of psychological distortion involved in those cases.

• Brohoof 1

My potential for enjoyment really has no limits.  That is to say that there's no line in the sand I won't cross when it comes to fiction just to see what it's like.  I don't necessarily enjoy all of it, but I'll try anything.  Grimdark, R34; doesn't matter.  I happen to think that Smile HD is one of the greatest achievements of humankind.  It should be in Earth's black box, and included in any messages we send out into space looking for aliens.  (I mean, kidding, obviously, but I love it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, this is really not why I'm watching Ponies. I appreciate and enjoy the innocence, good vibes and fluffiness etc. Definitely not my cup of tea