Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your thoughts on the Main Characters

ZStrike37

Wow, it's been a while since I've checked out the forums! A thought has been ringing in my head as of late and I think you fine ponyfolk can lend a helping hoof. I was just kind of thinking to myself "Gee, what do I like about the Mane 6?" Then that kind of spawned into "Gee, what do others think of the Mane 6?" So I figured why not just start a thread and find out what everyone else thinks! I'm mostly looking at what you all think about the Mane 6 but if you'd like to share your thoughts on other ponies (Luna, Celestia, Derpy, even Spike!) then feel free. I'd like you to just kind of think of each character and tell me what you think of them. What do you like/dislike? What was your initial reaction? Change of favorites recently? What would you like to see them do/change? Basically those kinds of questions. Don't want to answer those specific question? No worries. Just talk to me about them. Say whatever you want! I'm interested! Let's just keep this civil, alright? ;) (Fluttershy winking is adorable)

Applejack - She's my personal favorite. I like all the Mane 6, but she's number one to me. I find that's because she's the "Joe Everypony". Yes, I know. She's stubborn and sells apples. That's just about all we have on her. Oh, and she doesn't like to disappoint. That may be "boring" for most, but I actually like her for it. To me, she's the most relatable character. Not to mention honesty is my favorite characteristic presented as an Element of Harmony. I've always been an advocate for honesty so maybe I was a little biased. Ever since Applebuck Season, she's been my favorite, hands down. That episode was and is my favorite episode, not counting the two-parters. It demonstrates a real issue that a lot of people have and one that I, myself, have tangled with. For me, it's not easy to ask for help. Call it pride or stubborness, I don't care. And those freckles dawww. I see myself in my group of friends as the kind of support and strong shoulder to lean on, just how I envision AJ is to her friends. No, she may not be the most dynamic, but she's the most dependable and that's a winner in my book.

Fluttershy - Yes, she's cute. I get that. Maybe it's because I've never been one to really understand shyness. She just isn't that interesting to me. Not to say, I don't like her. As I've stated, I like all the Mane 6. I see Fluttershy as that kid that kind of stands off to the side because they don't want to get in anyone's way and are afraid to voice their own opinions. They just follow everyone else because they want to avoid confrontation. That kind of attitude, while never really irritating, has always just kind of slightly annoyed me. Even after I thought she had gained a huge confidence boost from Dragonshy, she's just as timid. I thought she was at her best in Putting Your Hoof Down simply because of the contrast in behavior. And about the Stare... I don't know. It's neat I guess. But the fandom seems to have taken it and made into this all-powerful super-ultra mega-glare that can utterly dismantle the psyche of anypony! Maybe it's just me, I don't care for it all that much. While she is a character with a huge cute-factor and fun crazy side, I find her character rather uninteresting. Although when Gilda made her cry... nevermind, moving on before I rage.

Pinkie Pie - I LOVE Pinkie Pie. She's not my favorite, but she's easily my second. Her personality is just so vibrant, happy, and fun. I can't not smile when she's on screen. At first, I thought she'd be seriously annoying, just as I'm sure Twilight did and I'm certain that was the goal of the writers. But she really grew on me quickly. Eventually, I found that she's just a filly out for fun and what's wrong with that? Nothing! Even though AJ is my favorite, I'd choose to spend time with Pinkie if I could. Just the thought of all the wacky antics we'd engage makes me smile. And I enjoy a good party with sugar-rush inducing treats so it'd be perfect. She's so silly! I really just can't get over how fun and crazy she is. It doesn't seem like much, but it really is a feat to be able to be so carefree and I envy her for it. No matter what, she sees the bright side of things and finds a way to smile and laugh (minus Party of One). But that's not all. She wants to make her friends laugh as well. She won't be 100% happy till all her friends are and I find that admirable. Truly, Pinkie is a great friend to have.

Rainbow Dash - This is a tough one. I like Dash, but at the same time I don't. She's arrogant and egocentric almost all the time. She'd give Trixie a run for her bits in the bragging competition. I get it. She's fast, apparently the fastest flier ever since she can do a sonic rainboom at will now. And she's really strong, too, pretty much on par with AJ. But she's also really insecure of her abilities as shown in Sonic Rainboom. I really don't understand her popularity with the fandom. She does have her moments, though. Hurricane Fluttershy was great because I saw Dash try to help Fluttershy out with her own fear, in a a kind of "big sister" way if you will, which I found endearing. Not to mention her "so awesome!" face. And she did get a few chuckles from me in May the Best Pet Win. She's not a bad character at all, I just think... well, she's OP. To me, if she'd show a bit more humility (just a bit!), it wouldn't be so bad. I get that being arrogant and cocky is kind of her thing, but I think it could use just a little adjustment to go from "annoying" to "charming".

Rarity - The favorite pony of my best friend. She's pretty cool, I'll give her that. Did you see her wallop that manticore? Did you hear how she talked to those teen dragons in Dragon Quest? So she's a drama queen. Usually, this is not a good thing. But I think Rarity has found the perfect balance between being that stuck-up snob back in high school and the enjoyable popular girl that you knew you'd never have a chance with but she didn't rub it in your face. Yeah... http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png I'm always guessing with Rarity. In a scene, she could take the situation and blow it out of proportion, or she could be a souce of wise words. I'd put Rarity as my thrid favorite. She's a great character with fun qualitites to examine, not to mention her songs are really great as well. Looking back, the first two episodes of season 1 didn't really get into her character. One of my favorite episodes, Sweet and Elite took her and just wrapped her up in sunshine, really making her qualities glow.

Twilight Sparkle - Finally at the end! What can I say about Twilight? She was the main protagonist in Season 1 and because of that, she's pretty much considered the leader of the Mane 6. She's definitely smart and can tend to be overzealous in her studies. However, I'll never figure out her logic. How do you go from thinking these magical stones containing a lost magic are in a castle to realizing those five others you just happened to come with embody the elements. Maybe I'm just not smart enough. Smartness aside, she lacks common sense. Need to get to the other side of that gorge to escape the hydra? You gotta jump, of course! Teleport? Nah, that's what that hydra would expect you to do! You'll show him! Mhmm. Twilight's supreme awesomeness with magic is a bit of a "get out of jail free card" it seems to me. Return of Harmony part 1. Things going crazy on the farm, right? I seriously busted out laughing when Twilight rolls up and is all "Don't worry. I have a magic spell that will fix everything." That pretty much sums up Twilight. I liked Season 2's approach in how more focus would be given towards the group and not just Twilight. I kind of like her nerdiness and she can be adorkable at times. Like Dash, though, she is just a bit OP with her insane magicalness.

Wow, that's a huge amount of text. So let me know what all of you think of the Mane 6. You don't even have to talk about each of the cast. You can simply talk about who you want to talk about. Also, feel absolutely free to not use gigantoid paragraphs like I did, unless you want to! Just say what you want about a character and move on. No need to overcomplicate it.

TL;DR - Talk to me about what you think of the Mane 6. Feel free to talk about any other character as well. Give me your thoughts. All of them. Let's just keep things civil. Background ponies are also fine to discuss. Just don't say that Applejack is best background pony and we'll be fine. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

Edited by ZStrike37
  • Brohoof 12

I am automatically friending you, dear sir.

Applejack fans a certainly in short supply, and yet the "background pony" phrases are not.

There are only four Applejack fans including me that I know here, while I see Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash fans everywhere on this forum.

This is like finding diamond ores in Minecraft! :wacko:

• Brohoof 2

Applejack fans a certainly in short supply, and yet the "background pony" phrases are not.

There are only four Applejack fans including me that I know here, while I see Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash fans everywhere on this forum.

It is hard to find AJ love. I'm glad we see eye to eye my friend. We must unite and unveil the truth to the MLP fandom of who is best pony! We gotta stick together. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I like Applejack myself, I think she personally has some great potential for use in later episodes. It'd be nice though to see her in some sort of conflicting scenes instead of just doing her thing. Maybe like she's TOO honest for her own good which could upset and hurt other ponies feelings?
  • Brohoof 1

I like Applejack myself, I think she personally has some great potential for use in later episodes. It'd be nice though to see her in some sort of conflicting scenes instead of just doing her thing. Maybe like she's TOO honest for her own good which could upset and hurt other ponies feelings?

I am confident the writers are aware of her popularity with the bronies and have come up with an amazing solution. As you said, she needs more to her character. Being too honest could, indeed, work. And, of course, a song!

Applejack- Applejack is a pretty awesome character, even though she may not be complex, nor have a very large personality, she is my 2nd favorite of the mane 6. I just love that hard-working aspect of her personality, and how she never backs down. I can sort of see why the fandom gives her a bad time. She really is the least developed of all the mane characters. I sort of wish she would get a song/episode that actually is serviced to her.

Rarity- My absolute favorite of the mane 6, she is sometimes ridiculed as being annoying, and over-exaggeration at small things, but that's just her character. I think that she is the most complex out of all the mane 6. Her personality makes for some really hilarious scenes. Such as ("This is the... WORST... POSSIBLE... THING".) Her accent is quite awesome as well, I don't think anything would be as funny if it wasn't for her accent.

Twilight- Twilight is... well probably my 4th favorite of the mane 6, sure she is as some say adorkable, but I find her to be rather bland at some spots... Don't get me wrong, she has some AWESOME moments, that in my opinion were the best in the show. She is the main character so it only makes sense that she gets the most development.

Rainbow- Dash is alright. She has probably the 2nd best personality of the mane 6, and is a pretty awesome character. I can see why she is (I think) most popular of the mane 6, people are appealing to the badassery of her character. She offers something different to the show, and that definitely deserves some recognition. I do think sometimes people are turned off by her attitude and such, but that is her attitude and personality.

Fluttershy- Ok, the first thing that comes to mind is the word "Adorable". I'm not going to say anymore about how cute she is, because I think that's rather played out. She is a great character with an awesome personality. She is the one I think "grew" the most between seasons 1 and 2. In 1 she was all-around timid, but in 2 she was pretty much as outspoken as Twilight.

Pinkie- She is honestly my least favorite of the mane 6. She is a great character, and honestly I love the comedic value she brings to the show, but at times she can be kind of annoying. I think sometimes her comedy is over-used and sometimes comes at really odd moments, but at the same time it makes sense.(it is rather strange). I also think that she has the 2nd best singing voice in the mane 6. (Rarity being first).

Luna- I love Luna... She takes the name princess and twists it into a badass form that looks awesome! She is the main character in my favorite episode. (Luna Eclipsed). Her all around look is just awesome! I mean the mane that looks as blue as the clear night sky, and a personality that ranges from cool and collected to all wild.

Celestia- ehhh... She's O.K... I mean she is, I think, a cliche` look at a princess in any children's TV show. I mean she is all- powered, but really doesn't do anything, but raise the sun and stuff. She is my least favorite royal.

Minor Characters

Scootaloo- Scootaloo is basically half of Rainbow Dash. She is my favorite CMC, and for the reason that she does what she wants and doesn't care who's watching. From what we've seen she is pretty social about everything. The fannon version of Scoot's story is pretty interesting. I do think that someday RD will be a sister figure to Scoot's...

Sweetie Belle- Ok... Sweetie belle is probably the cutest of the CMC, and she has the personality to boot. Her name is basically contradictory to her personality, because she isn't all Sweet and kind, at times she can be quite pushy. I love how the writers played on the relationship she has to her sisters in the episode "Sisterhooves Social" It just makes her character more likable.

AppleBloom- I find Applebloom to be the most annoying of all the CMC. I mean she does have some good moments, but I think her character is just bland. In my opinion it's more bland then her sisters... Yeah not much to say about her.

Ditzy- I honestly think Ditzy is an overrated character. She does have a pretty awesome fannon story though, and it makes her character more like-able. I honestly do like her, but not enough to say that she is the best pony... Not by a long shot. I think her flaws are what draws us to her. I mean she does have the most apparent flaw in the MLP universe.

Cheerilee- Cheerilee is pretty awesome! I know she hasn't been in that many episodes, but I like her anyways. Her personality is surprising to me. I mean if you glance over her character, you might think that she's just another boring minor character, but in honesty she can be as high-strung as Pinkie.

Background (based on Fanon)

Lyra- I love how she is said to be obsessed with humans, and I love her shipping with Bon Bon. Even though Bon Bon is just bland to me, I do accept that shipping. Lyra has a lot of fan- art and fan- fics written about her, so it can be said she is one of the most popular of all the background characters.

Octavia- Octavia is just awesome. I hope the writers keep her fannon personality, because honestly it is awesome. I also like how she actually plays an instrument, and is seen playing it. Her connection with Vinyl is pretty interesting, and I could see how they would get along.

Vinyl Scratch- Ok, the one thing Vinyl has in the fandom that I actually enjoy is the music. I mean the songs about her, and the songs featuring her fannon voice are just awesome.

• Brohoof 5

I love Fluttershy, and not just because of her cuteness. I love the fact that she can have so many versions of herself without that much push for her to change. Like her assertive episode. All she did was take like one lesson from the minotaur and she became the biggest b*tch ever. Or like the grand galloping gala episode, all it took was the fact that some animals did not want to meet her for her to go completely psycho. Yes she is cute, and actually that plays a major part in the fact that I love her so much, but it is not the whole reason. Also, Fluttershy kind of reminds me of Hinata from Naruto, and I LOVE Hinata, she is my wifu!

Twilight: She is my second favorite out of the mane ponies. She is SOOO unbelievably OCD and I love it. I am a bit OCD too, so I can relate to her. I am not that great of a student though so I don't share all of her traits. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tara Strong, I knew about her way before MLP. When I first watched MLP I was like, WHY IN TARTARUS DOES HER VOICE SOUND SO FAMILIAR! But then I realized it was Tara Strong after listening closely.

Pinkie Pie: She was actually my favorite at one time, I loved how hilariously random she was. But after shedding some of my manliness barriers I began to realize that Fluttershy was my favorite all along. Pinkie Pie has the best ability ever, she exploits the fact that she lives in a cartoon, to do what ever the buck she wants. Defy the laws of physics? Why not? I live in a bucking cartoon. Spontaneously conjure random objects out of thin air? Sure, I LIVE IN A CARTOON! Yeah I love her a lot but not as much as Fluttershy or Twilight.

Rainbow Dash: RD was my original favorite mane. I had this huge layer of manly societal bias covering me coming into the fandom, so I choose the "manliest" pony to be my original favorite. But over time, after being subjected to the fandom I began to shed my insecurities. I love her because she was able to do the impossible with the odds stacked against her and pull off a sonic rainboom. I love the fact that she brought all of the ponies together, and I think she is a big badass.

Rarity: One of my least favorite mane. She is just such a drama queen, and I hate drama with a burning passion. I will admit she is pretty damn funny at times, but to me mostly annoying. I do like that she is artsy and creative though, in that department I can relate. But that is where the similarities stop.

Applejack: I know that this thread has been mostly Applejack lovers, but for some reason I really do not like this character. I think it might have something to do with the southern drall, but I really do not care too much for her. Now that is not to say that I don't see her importance in the mane six, and anyone who says "Mane 5 and background pony Applejack" is wrong. Applejack has her place, just not very much so in my heart. She is a hardworking individual and I can respect that, but to me she also seems like one of the least well developed characters in the mane 6. She hardly ever makes me laugh, (when most all of the other mane 6 do) and she seems to lack intelligence.

Sorry if I insulted anypony, that was not my goal, I am just stating my own personal opinions here, take them or leave them I don't really care. Just please don't be offended because I do not like hurting other ponies' feelings.

Edited by Bronynonymous
  • Brohoof 2

Heres My view on the mane 6 + Spike

Applejack: My personal favorite even though shes underrated and kinda under-developed but the real reason i love her is because of her personality shes honest, she's very brave and will tackle anything head on (but unlike Rainbow Dash she often does it with strategy ) Not to mention she has that hard working personality we all know and love.

Pinkie Pie:At first she i kinda didn't like her she just seemed a little too spontaneous and it felt like she was modding the episodes she was in sometimes.Then when i watched "Baby Cakes" i had a new respect for her and i liked her alot more.

Rainbow Dash: Shes a little mediocre for me but i still like her personality wise shes quite awesome when she's competing against somebody.

Twilight Sparkle: She an cool character she has been the most developed out of the mane 6 i love her for the fact shes very smart and organized. (Though i like her most when things dont go her way and she starts panicking)

Rarity: Shes a meh character for me. I will admit i really do love her voice but she ends up being almost as annoying as Pinkie Pie! I honestly don't see what other people see in her but once again....meh.

Fluttershy: Ah shes been my favorite when i started watching MLP she provides most of the 'DAWWW' factor in the show which is why i like her alot.

Spike: Ah man i love him so freaking much. He's the best character in the show he has the perfect character balance on being serious when he should be or just acting funny when its appropriate yet he often acts like a child (Which is understandable because hes young anyway) Personality wise i relate to him the most which puts him at the top of my list.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry if I insulted anypony, that was not my goal, I am just stating my own personal opinions here, take them or leave them I don't really care. Just please don't be offended because I do not like hurting other ponies feelings.

Hey man, no worries! I asked for your thoughts and you obliged. Thanks for your input! There is no "right" or "wrong" opinion. And I have to agree with you about Tara Strong. She's pretty amazing! And I forgot about how Dash did bring the Mane 6 together! Thanks for the reminder, my friend. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

Here are my thought on the main 6

Pinkie Pie- She is my favorite character of the 6. I enjoy everything about this character. From her songs, the way she does things, and also just how random she is. Anytime Pinkie is in an episode even if it's not her episode, she can have the best lines out of the group. One thing I saw in season 2 is that she might be a character that is going to learn other lesson besides ones that involve friendship. Like in Baby Cakes when she learned about responsibility. Overall this Pinkie is the character that makes me smile the most.

Apple Jack- AJ is an alright character. She seems to be the more grown up character on the 6 and is able to handle anything. I enjoy the fact that she is willing to help anypony out with a problem. Also family is very important to her and well do anything for them. But I do have a problem with her. It feel like there is not much to do with her character to develop her more. She is already doing what she loves best and that is working on her farm. I don't know how they can make AJ more interesting, but maybe something well come up.

Twilight- Twilight is probably my second favorite character. I like how she is trying to learn new things from friends and trying all kinds of new things in Ponyville. The magic part of her is the best, always trying to improve herself. She is also someone who well never give up. Always trying to help her friends and family is something to real like about Twilight.

Rarity- This was the character I thought I was not going to like that much. She just seemed like the real girl character of the group, but as time moved on I found that she is a pretty funny. Some of her lines of even funnier then Pinkie Pie. Also she is a much stronger singer then the other. She is still not my favorite character, but still she can be very enjoyable.

Fluttershy- Fluttershy is very cute and good with animals. She maybe weak at times, but when she tries, Fluttershy can do anything.

Rainbow Dash- She is an alright character. I feel like the lessons she learns do not pass well with her episodes. Still I like RD because she is the pony trying to live a dream. Like Twilight she is always trying to improve on her skills and trying to be the best.

CMC

Apple Bloom- One thing to like about AB is that she is very adventurous, always wanting to go into the unknown and facing it head on. Something that makes her different from her sister.

Sweetie Belle- To me she is just a pony who is just happy to be apart of the group. Still not much seems to get her down and she always wants to be helpful.

Scootaloo- All though people like her the most, I dislike her the most. She is just so annoying. Her personality seems to be a copy and pasta of Rainbow Dash. Nothing to set her apart from AB and SB. If anything I like the fact that she can't fly. It just seems to set her apart from other pegasus and the fact that she and RD are not sisters.

Other

Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake- They are the cutest things I have seen in my life. Everything about them is just so super cute. To the noise they make, the faces they make, and just the random flying and magic make them very interesting characters.

Man it was hard to write this.

• Brohoof 3

All these massive posts, they draw me like a moth to the flame. Curse you people.

Twilight Sparkle: Twilight started off as a brainy character that I was unsure about. I watched her mull about Ponyville in the first episode, acting like her time was more precious than interacting with and being friendly to other ponies, watched her pull together and becomes friends with the other predestined Elements of Harmony, and vanquish Nightmare Moon, and then watched her go on countless other daily frustrations as well as adventures that improved upon her past and character. Being the focus of the show for a lot of the time, at least in the adventure arcs, I've gotten to see her have arguably the most character development of all. I've grown to like her quite a bit. She is, indeed, adorakable and very cute, especially in episodes like 'Look before you Sleep' where her naive happiness dominates throughout the episode. I also think Faust did something very interesting in making the 'braniac' character the leading character and not a side-kick or something like the norm usually follows.

Altogether, Twilight is in third place on my Best Pony list for the Mane Six. She's brilliant, but can still be funny and cute when she wants to be.

Rainbow Dash: Dashie, Dashie, Dashie. Where do I start? Rainbow Dash was a character I had a suspicion I'd like a lot, from the moment she giggled upon tackling a poor purple unicorn into the mud. I knew about her appearance before-hand due to memes and such, and had flagged her in my mind so I could keep my eye out for her in the show. After I had gotten through both seasons, thusly having watched all of her character-focused episodes, I soon discovered that she was my absolute favorite pony character. To me, Dash is far more adorable than all of the other ponies in her own unique way, and that's because that she purposefully tries to not be cute, despite the fact that she's a cute blue pony with rainbows in her mane, on her tail and on her butt :P I guess it's that sense of universal irony that makes her cute, especially when she does do cute things.

Dash is in first place on my Mane Six list. I like her tomboy attitude, and I like the fact that she can be short, impatient and brash sometimes because it makes her all the more realistic. I also think she's the cutest pony ever due to appearance and personality. Yes, more than Fluttershy. Problem?

Applejack: AJ is a very underrated pony, and I was guilty of that fact as much as the average non-AJ fan. When I first started out, AJ was bland and not interesting to me. She wasn't flashy like Dash, she didn't have any quirks in her personality like Pinkie, and she didn't have any interesting powers like Twilight. That all changed once I saw Sisterhooves Social, and was given a strong taste of her

, while maintaining the ability to keep her working with a firm hoof. And it was after I began admiring her masterful skill at being an ideal big sister to a filly, that I began noticing all these other things: She has a terrific work ethic, she's one of if not the best role-model of all the Mane Six and she's got the most level-head of all of them as well.

Applejack began in fifth place on my list, but over time she's made it up to number two, right after Dash. She's a great big sister, and is the most mature, dependable member of the Mane Six.

Rarity: I'll be honest, right from the start Rarity never did much for me as a character. Over time I sat in the background and nodded in agreement when people pointed out things like how Rarity would be the stuck-up villain in any other kind of show, but in MLP she's an accomplished protagonist character, or how Rarity has a deep character that can't be judged easily on the outside, but none of that changes the fact that she simply doesn't capture my interest. It's not so much that I have anything against her, but more of the fact that she's simply at the bottom of the totem pole. Dash, AJ, Twilight, Pinkie and Fluttershy all interest me more than Rarity, and that's really it. There are times where it's interesting to watch her, and I enjoyed Sisterhooves Social when she finally took a hint from Applejack on how to improve her sister relationship with Squeaky Belle, but, that's sadly it.

You can write me off on the stereotype that Dash fans don't like Rarity and vice-versa if you wish, but at the end of the day, Rarity is my least favorite pony of the Mane Six. It didn't used to be that way, her and Fluttershy were evenly matched for last place for a while, but I finally organized my thoughts a bit more.

Pinkie Pie: The party pony. Like Applejack, it took a while for Pinkie to grow on me. With a character like hers, she often appears obnoxious and annoying at first, and is overall very bad at first impressions, but she then wins you over the more you watch her. Being the comedy relief of the six, she has my respect for being a cute, funny pony who wants to have fun and turn life's BS into even more fun. I think her interactions with other characters can be very interesting to watch, because it's funny yes, but you can learn a lot about Pinkie's ideals and what she values most through her conversations. I think Pinkie is a great character to have in any team or mash-up, no matter who they are, because she livens the room the moment she walks inside.

Pinkie is fourth on my list, after Dash, AJ and Twilight. She's cute, funny, and one of the most innocent of the Mane Six along with Fluttershy.

Fluttershy: Oh, my, I um, do believe it's time for Butter Pony's analysis, if that's okay with you. Fluttershy, like I mentioned with Marshmallow pony, used to be tied for last place. Again, it's nothing that I have against the character, but more the fact that they simple didn't interest me much. I place her above Rarity because I really enjoyed her relationship with Rainbow Dash, where I see a sort of 'surrogate sister' thing going on amidst the 'best friend' action they have going, with Dash being the outgoing sibling always trying to get her shy sibling to stick up for herself and not be so shy. I know a lot of people flock around Fluttershy because she's 'the cutest pony ever', but like I mentioned back with Rainbow Dash, I personally find the 'trying to not be cute' more cute than the 'personality is blatantly trying to be cute'. However, I do like the few episodes like Hurricane Fluttershy and Putting Your hoof Down, where Fluttershy does try and pursue assertiveness. Being so timid, you can't help but root for her.

Fluttershy is fifth on my Mane Six list. She has her cuteness, though I don't find it to be as intoxicatingly irresistible as most people, and I think she has the classic 'shy character' type that's pulled off well, in a non-annoying way.

--

Celestia: She has a fantastic design, a melodic voice, an admirable personality and a very interesting role in the show, being not just the ruler of the kingdom but also a teacher. Celestia was actually my favorite pony for my first two weeks of watching the show, which ended when my Discord & Rainbow Dash obsession took over. But even though she's no longer my overall favorite, I do have her listed as Best Princess (yes, even over Luna). I hope we see more of her in the future, and more specifically, her getting the chance to kick flank like she -almost- got the chance to with Chrysalis.

Luna: I understand the hype with Princess Luna, but I don't follow it. She's a very unique character with a very fun, and interesting personality. Her back story is probably one of the most interesting of all, and she also doubles being an interesting character since she was Nightmare Moon at the very premiere of the show. Despite this, I can't help but feel her fanbase is a bit crazy in size. I do hope Luna makes more appearances in the future though; some alone, and some alongside her sister. I also hope to see her interacting with more members of the Mane Six other than Twilight.

Discord: No, just no. You know what?

Posted Image

No? Hmmm. Very well.

Discord brings to light a villain style I've always liked. 'The omnipotent god/spirit who cannot be defeated through traditional means. He must be outwitted, outsmarted or otherwise subdued in a way that requires specific action.' Not only that, he has a cool design and a fantastic personality that has the perfect mesh of evil and innocent prankster who is just trying to have fun. I also really like the fact that he can never be gotten rid of; the one and only way to defeat him is to turn him to stone using the Elements, meaning he's been sitting, waiting to be let free from his prison in Celestia's garden all this time, meanwhile, most other ponies forgot about him or don't even know him outside of tales, that they may even pass off as myth. This changed when he came back in The Return of Harmony of course, but it was there before then.

Finally. My hand is going to go disown me, now. Hope you enjoyed my rant.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 16

Twilight: Really funny, cute and sensible. Has her share of good episodes and makes a really good main character. About my 5th favorite of the mane 6.

Applejack: definitely the character I respect the most. Has little in the way of character flaws and is the best sibling you could ask for. A great friend and a terribly underrated character. My 4th favorite of the mane 6

Rainbow Dash: far from a perfect character. Her arrogance has been pointed out repeatedly although I think part of it is to mask her insecurity. Although she may be a jerk she will be there for you when you need her and there's no one you'd be better off having. She's really funny and has a good sense of humor although she occasionally crosses the line. Surprisingly cute at times and when she's fangirling out IMO she can be cuter than fluttershy and it doesn't feel shoved in my face like fluttershy's cuteness can at times. Probably the biggest badass in the show, I remember in dragonshy when she kicked the dragon and nodded about it my mind was blown from the sheer amazingness. Can Rainboom which is also spectacular. The thing I like most though is that she is a character with a dream( one piece fan here ) who is always searching for something great out there. If anything her character flaws just remind me of the inherant flaws in all of us and how we can rise above them, be good people and do great things. Overall terrific and my favorite character

Fluttershy: can really understand her struggles with her fears, is ADORABLE and I can empathize with her a lot. Is the kind of person we need more of in the world. My third favorite of the 6

Rarity: didn't expect to like her but suited for success won me over. Has been hit with some great positive character development and is unexpectedly HILARIOUS. My least favorite of the 6 but still much loved

Pinkie Pie: I initially found her annoying but let's be honest, she's cute, also really funny and she makes you smile and brightens up your day. My 2nd favorite

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 4

I may as well put them in my order of favourite to least favourite. I love them all though, so it doesn't mean too much.

Rarity

My favourite from the very first episode. I always prefer feminine characters, and Rarity is just that. She's essentially all my favourite characteristics rolled into one; she's funny, classy, creative/artistic and can handle herself just fine. I also love the fact that she cares about her appearance and looking good, but she doesn't act like it makes her better than anyone else. She enjoys being beautiful because she appreciates beauty, not because she wants to be superior to anyone, or links beauty to importance. She also has great character development. Unlike Fluttershy, who forgets what she learns about being assertive by the next episode, Rarity's lessons on being cooperative with her sister and the likes actually seems to stick with her. I also like how she's a little more contested with her element. She is certainly generous, but sometimes it clearly clashes with her vanity streak and that makes it more interesting than the others, who seem to fit their elements without any problem which is boring. I like to see characters work and struggle for their achievements, not have it handed to them naturally.

Pinkie Pie

I love Pinkie Pie. She's so happy, all the time, and it's inspiring. I have used her outlook on life as personal advice before and I always feel better for it. Her happiness is so innocent and genuine that it's hard not to love her. She's also very selfless, always doing what she does to make everyone else happy instead of worrying about herself. I've never been one for "random" humour, but Pinkie pulls it off well without it feeling forced. Same with her cheerfulness, she does it without being cheesy.

Rainbow Dash

Like with Rarity, Rainbow is confident. I love confident characters, I can't stand the meek, far-too-modest-for-their-own-good type. I love Rainbow for her reliability, mostly. She can make fun of her friends almost to the point of mocking and pull pranks and whatever, but at the end of the day she wouldn't ever ditch them and most of what she says is just a joke and you know she doesn't mean to be malicious. Reminds me of one my friends, I suppose that's why I like her so much. I also find her fangirling somewhat relatable ;) One thing I don't like, however, is that Rarity gets grief for the same things Rainbow should, but doesn't. People complain that Rarity is obsessed with beauty, but ignore that Rainbow is obsessed with looking cool/awesome. Both are shallow, really. But that's irrelevant to my thoughts on the character, just wanted to throw it in there.

Twilight Sparkle

Twilight used to be my least favourite. Just found her so bland and typical 'main character' fodder. But, after I rewatched some episodes, she really grew on me more, especially after the sleep over episode. She can be pretty funny as she usually plays the 'straight man' to the other characters. The way she always likes to do things by the book and on schedule reminds me of myself, too ^^; However I don't really like how OP she can be. I know magic is her talent and all, but... I dunno, just makes me think of the likes of Superman, who usually is seen as boring because he can do everything. A lack of limitations really ruins a character for me. She's not that bad though, yet.

Fluttershy

I don't think she's all that cute, for starters. She has a pretty design and she can act cute, but I think the fandom has grossly exaggerated it. She's not really cuter than any of the others, they all have their moments. Anyway, Flutters is just too simple for me. She's shy and good with animals. That's... really it. She has little else in the personality department. Oh, and she's kind. Two very, very broad personality types and a rather generic (for a cartoon) talent. All of her episodes are the same, too. All the other ponies learn different lessons in each one, but Flutters only ever learns about not being so shy and not being such a pushover. Important lessons for sure, but do I'd like to see her in different situation. I'd also like to her actually learn from them too. I dunno, I like her and all, she's cute and kindness is always commendable, but there's just far too much hype for such a plain character.

Applejack

I want to love AJ more, I really do. She's awesome, and her basic traits (honesty, hard working) could be interesting to see more of. But she just has hardly any development compared to the others. Even Fluttershy got more than her. And it's hard to put an under-developed character in the same category as a developed one without creating your own headcanon and stuff, which I don't like to do. So until we get to see more personality for AJ, I can't rank her higher D:

The only other pony I can be bothered to write about is Cheerilee, so let's go!

Cheerilee

Cheerilee is a personal favourite because I'm training to be a teacher too. I sort of look up to her. She's a good teacher. She's fun, her students love her, she's kind and caring and yet she's able to be firm when she needs to, so she keeps control of the class too. Teachers in cartoons are usually portrayed as awful people who hate children (yet are in schools for some reason) and usually have it out to punish the students. Or they're shown as sleep-inducingly boring. It's nice to show a teacher that the kids actually like. I hope I can be a great teacher like Cheerilee :wub:

Edited by Infinity
  • Brohoof 3

Great thread! Here they are, my innermost thoughts on the Mane 6 and a few others--which took about an hour to put together, BTW, but it was worth it.

Applejack: a wonderful pony, the first one Twilight meets in Ponyville and she makes a great impression. She has the most common sense of the 6 and is naturally honest, even with herself. She knows exactly who she is and follows her heart, even if no one else understands and it takes her away from the ones she loves. She also has an unbeatable work ethic and a strong will. More ponies should be like Applejack. More people, too.

Twilight Sparkle: very bright and tremendously powerful, although she doesn't realize it yet. She is held back by a pervasive lack of self-confidence. She believes in her friends much more than she believes in herself. She does everything by the book because she's afraid to be wrong or fail. I identify deeply with her because of this, more so than any of the other ponies. I think she still has a lot of growing up to do as the main character. Unfortunately, Celestia's remote and borderline-dismissive treatment of Twilight does not play to her strengths and reveals her fragile mental balance (Lesson Zero!). I don't think my favorite unicorn will really find herself until she finds the strength to challenge her mentor. (The wedding situation was indirect, but a step in the right direction.)

Rarity: None of the Mane 6 has grown on me more than Rarity since the start of the show. Particularly later in Season 1, the writers brought out sides of her character that I never imagined. Hiding behind her social climbing agenda and fashion fixation is a strong sense of pride, dignity, warmth and inner strength. Rarity thrives on attention; it brings out the best (Dog & Pony Show) and worst (Sonic Rainboom) sides of her. ;) Last and perhaps least, she is stunningly beautiful, cartoon pony or not. I don't identify with her as much as the others, but enough to like her.

Fluttershy: Deeply unsure of herself, a little like Twilight except that she has no way of hiding it. Her way of coping is not education or curiosity but affection. She's one of those kind, loving ponies you don't see many of in this life. She'll stop at nothing to help an animal or friend in need, from staring down a dragon to being a bear's chiropractor. When Fluttershy is personally challenged or rejected--or remembers such occasions--she can become rather unstable. Her reactions range from total retreat to obsession and rage (Best Night Ever). I find her interesting but unnerving. Is it because I don't relate to her good side so much or because her bad side strikes too close to home? :huh:

Pinkie Pie: One of my favorite ponies, even though I have the least in common with her. She is a sugary bundle of spontaneous energy and self-expression, and I love her for it. Pinkie has scaled great heights of both intentional and unintentional comedy, but her poppy fourth-wall antics are never taken to the point where they compromise the show (kudos to the writers as that line is all too easy to cross). Despite this, Pinkie is the most deceptively vulnerable and childlike of the Mane 6. I think she would rather celebrate life than deal with its responsibilities, partly because she doesn't know how to deal. She's all play and little work, but she's so much fun to be around that the other ponies are happy to let it slide.

Rainbow Dash: I had to save her for last. What can I say? Rainbow Dash is everything I wish I could be. Maybe everything I should have been in life. She's athletic, brave and confident and doesn't care what anyone thinks about her except her friends. Rainbow is the pony I can only be when I'm alone or at a safe distance from others. I'd give anything to meet her. I have a wristband with her cutie mark that I may never take off. Her voice is adorable, her spirit is infectious, she hits my soft spots for strong female characters and unintentionally cute tomboys. Basically, Rainbow sums up everything I love most about My Little Pony, and without her I would not be a fan of the show today.

"Awww, cut it out..."

Posted Image

That's it for TailsAlone's main feature. ^_^ Quick shout-out to my favorite side characters: Silver Spoon (more of a bully's friend than an actual bully), Twist ("adorkable") and Granny Smith (hilarious, everyone in the studio must die laughing when it's time to do her lines).

Some character mosh-pits I have not yet jumped into? Trixie for one. Great design, but I don't see anything really likeable about her. Discord is another. Don't get me wrong, he's an effective villain and De Lancie voiced him perfectly...I liked his style. But nopony (or deity) messes with the Mane 6. Man, was I relieved to see him come crashing down, a lifeless statue once more.

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 2

It’s fun to read everyone else’s opinions and while AJ is not my favorite it’s nice to see her get some love on this thread. I’ll go in order of my favorite to least favorite.

Rarity: Rarity took me a long time. When I first started watching the show she was by far my least favorite pony. I thought she was snobby, stuck up, and pretentious. The more I watched the show I saw the complexity of her character she’s classy and has standards. She’s generous and she’s loyal to her friends, all at the same time she is a drama queen and at the drop of a hat she can lose all her composure. I think Rarity adds a very unique element to the show, one that is missing in a lot of cartoons. She’s regal while maintaining some sense of modesty, which isn’t always true for her.

Fluttershy: I don’t think much needs to be said about this one. She’s seemingly the fandom’s favorite and by a long shot. I like that Fluttershy is really shy and reserved. I can relate to that because in reality I’m sort of like that myself of course not the extreme extent that she is. Fluttershy is probably the sweetest and cutest of all the ponies but I don’t believe her character has many dimensions to it. I have a sort of crack theory that if you don’t like Fluttershy you were not hugged enough as a child :lol: . She’s kind of a what you see is what you get character. Though I love all her interactions with Rainbow Dash, they play off each other so well and they are a funny couple.

Twilight: Twilight is another one that sort of took me awhile. I never disliked Twilight but I thought she was kind of boring, with not much appeal. With that said I’m starting to find Twilight as one of my favorites, I think she actually the funniest of the Mane 6. She’s so awkward, and geeky I love it. The “Yes” scene in the Cutie Mark Chronicles always cracks me up, It’s About Time is one of my favorites and just plays off of Twilight’s obsessive compulsive tendencies and how could you forget her breakdown in Lesson Zero? I like that Twilight is sensible one of the group and is always willing to lend her friends a hoof if they are in trouble.

AppleJack: I have nothing bad to say about AppleJack she’s just an overall good pony. She’s honest, she’s loyal and I know that is RD's element but she doesn’t let her friends down and the one time she does think she lets the town down in The Last Round Up she didn’t plan on coming back to Ponyville until she earned enough money to fix town hall. That’s real loyalty and a sense of duty to those she cares about. AppleJack is a hard worker and she’s dependable, AppleJack is pretty much everything you’d want in a friend.

Rainbow Dash: Rainbow Dash used to be far and away my favorite pony when I began watching. Rainbow Dash I think has the best design in the entire show, and easily the coolest Cutie Mark which is so appropriate for her. Though I find Rainbow Dash boastful, self-centered, and kind of inconsiderate when things get serious though she’s there for her friends. Rainbow Dash is very interesting because she’s almost a mini-antagonist amongst the Mane 6. She’s a notorious prankster, who when Twilight was on the verge of a meltdown in It’s About Time decided to mess with Twilight with Spike instead of help her out. She’s seen to be fiercely competitive to a fault in Fall Weather Friends, and in her ego was swollen and she was in such a need for attention that in The Mysterious Mare Do Well she went out of her way to cause trouble. With that said I don’t want to sound like a Rainbow Dash hater, I’m not, I think she adds a flavor to the show that would be missed if she were gone.

Finally, of the Mane 6 is Pinkie: Pinkie Pie is my least favorite and I say that with a lot of reluctance because I love Pinkie Pie. To me Pinkie is that friend that you like but you need in small doses. Sometime Pinkie drives me nuts like in Luna Eclipsed, I can’t stand her in that episode, but she’s so innocent and means so well that you just can’t stay mad at her. The Smile Song is my favorite song in the series so far and always puts a smile on my face. She’s always there for her friends to make smile, she loves putting on parties for her friends and is the wild card of the show. Pinkie Pie is a great pony but she’s not always my cup of tea but she’s one of those people you just can’t be dislike, it’s not possible.

Edited by Flying Whales
  • Brohoof 3

Here are my thoughts.

Rainbow Dash The pony who got me into ponies. She stands out to me the most. Not just her multicoloured mane, but the way she acts. I love her tomboyish, athletic personality- better than dressing in style if you know what I mean. She's got a lot of guts to stand up for herself and others. I love how she isn't afraid to show off her talents. She's very mischief at times too. I wish i was like her.

Fluttershy Some say she's cute and adorable, to me she's more than that. I think she is the most delicate and beautiful pony I've seen, like the rarest crystal no one can touch- no wonder Photo Finish chose her to be her model! She's very kind towards her friends and very gentle towards mother nature. Flutters and I share a lot in common; we're shy around new faces, we love animals, we get scared easily and we're both sensitive.

Twilight Sparkle My least favourite character I would have to say but she's slowly growing onto me. She tends to stress a lot and panic about insignificant things. She studies, reads and organises things way too much. I didn't really like her in 'Feeling Pinkie Keen', she assumed that she was right and never gave Pinkie a chance until the end of the episode.

But the thing I like about her the most is her talent, it's what makes her special. It's a unique type of magic that no pony else like Trixie or Rarity could cast.

Pinkie Pie The life of the party. She's fun and does her best to make everypony turn their frowns upside down. She can get annoying at times, I wish she would tone it down a little. Pinkie has grown to me though, I love her "Pinkamena" side so much! She tends to cheer's me up when I'm feeling down. I think she's really cute too with her randomly singing and the way she hops around like Pepe Le Pew.

Rarity I really think she's the prettiest pony. I admire her sophisticated personality, her creativity, her charm, her wit and her humorous side especially. She can be self centered at times like in 'Sonic Rainboom' and 'Look before you sleep' but I love her attitude, very classy and well mannered- like a lady who deserves to be treated like a lady.

Applejack The most independent and hard worker out of the mane 6. She's like the pony you can trust and the pony you can count on. She's very helpful towards others and hate to let everyone down. She can get stubborn and a little competitive at times though.

• Brohoof 1

People spilling their guts out about their thoughts on ponies?...SIGN ME IN! @@~Chaotic Discord~, I shall not disappoint!

Well...well...well...who goes first?..Let's see...yes let's go with my fav pony. AKA...RARITY!

Rarity: It's ironic really. Normally, her type of character wouldn't be my favorite in a normal situation. Guess what? The more I watched the show, the more Rarity was starting to be my favorite pony. Why do I like her so much? Well, for starters, being a drama queen already gives her plenty potential to be quite funny when she wishes to. Besides, most of the time, everytime she appears, the same as Pinkie Pie, she has something that makes me laugh. Always! AND she has some of the best phrases. This like, a good portion of her phrases in Ponyville Confidential, and the one thing she said when defending Spike in Dragon Quest. She had won me I think when I saw A Dog and Pony Show. But after what she said in the two episodes I mentioned before, she was NUMERO 1! WOO! She's also quite beautiful :D . But anyway, my fanatism aside, I also like the character depth of her. I think in terms of going opposite of her normal personality more times regularly, she's the one who does that more. She's supposed to be the Element of Generosity, and yet, there have been plenty of times where she did the exact opposite. However, there have been moments when she did her EXACT element. My guess would be for example in Suited for Success. Just so she could please her friends, she was putting on the line, her carrer, her probable future, and also her childhood dreams. You DON'T see much people put on the line so much in justr one action, and without almost any hesitation whatsoever. I think I can also relate a bit with Rarity in exaggerating things department, considering I do that exact same thing lots of times, even if joking hehehe . Besides, she's someone who works HARD to make herself known, to have her dresses done as best as she ponily can, and if that wasn't enough, she does have a bit of OCD with the things about cleanliness and such. In other words, while most would deem her annoying, I love her character. In everything, design, depth of personality, and funnyness potential and actual actions.

Next up, Fluttershy! Second fav pony!

Fluttershy: Yes, I'm one of the many, many people who have fallen for her cuteness and irresistible aodrableness. However, I'd be lying if i said that's the only thing that her character appeals to me. For one, there's one thing she does many times, and that I can also relate quite much. The fact she goes from opposite to opposite in a WAY too extreme way. Let's face it, she goes from being ridiculously shy, to being the biggest bully ever enough to make Trixie and Gilda TOGETHER seem like nice people! While this was shown in two episodes, it's clear that Fluttershy doesn't control her feelings well enough to moderate, be it by pasing from super shy, to super bully, or by passing from calm person, to total psycho. Thus, when something works for her, she takes it to the extreme in order to get the best out of it. She also has a hidden strength, that always surfaces so she won't let down her firiends, be it by beating her fear of dragons, or her stage fright. While many would complain her episode centric episodes only talk about overcoming fears, the fears she overcomes are totally different. One is the irrational fear of fearing everything around her, overcome when her friends were in danger. Another is the fear of being a "doormat". Something we ALL fear. The thing about never standing up for ourselves, always letting us be pushed down. And finally, the infamous stage fright, gained by traumatic events in her childhood, after being teased so much. See? All this fears are different in their own way and that's why she doesn't bore to me. Besides, she can also have her funny moments over and over. Her character might seem like normal, but her development IS slow because...well...how fast can you develop a super shy character to being something else WHILE making it realistic? She also has the depth of being a frightened pony ever since a close call with death years ago. The reason why she doesn't fly too much, and the reason why she loves animals so much, after, you know, saving her life, so to speak. Also, her discorded personality, along with Rarity's and Applejack's are the most funny XD . And she's also most badass massager ever! You don't get to massage after kicking flanks do you? XD.

Next, I don't really have a rate for the rest to be honest. They all kind of tie in 3rd place, because I love them too much for doing that in this case =) .

Twilight Sparkle: Ahhh...our favorite egghead. The fact that I share her love for learning new things is something that I can relate, not to mention, I don't mind reading at all. I don't like it THAT much, but I still like it a lot. The fact that she has had her fair share of funny and cute moments also is a plus. I think her crazy episode is also one of my favorite episodes. She has had by far more moments in the show than anypony else, thus, I wouldn't ever finish if I had to mention them ^_^ . But I guess she walking till she did a hole in the treehouse, "GIVE ME THAT BOOK!", and everytime she was blushing woudl be my favorite from her. And let's not even talk about depth character. Being the most developed somewhat in character, she has a lot of stuff going on. For one, her OCD of everything being in its right place. The fact I think she referenced Fantasia, and the infamous The Sorcerer's Apprentice part, a movie which I loved, I totally squeed! She's also the all typical, "SCIENCE PONIES! SCIENCE!" first of all things...WHILE working with magic in a logical way, is also something that I've always thought would give the scientists of the past one heck of a headache . She has also become the next character the would be more frightened of losing her friends, after Pinkie Pie. The fact is the thing that has totally livened up her life gives me something that could have so much potential...indeed, the purple, magical egghead has a lot of things that many can like of her.

Rainbow Dash: Here comes the speedster! No, not junior, now for real XD . Anyway, there are two things I can absolutely relate with Rainbow Dash. One is her love for speed and freedom, and the other being her love for being totally lazy :P . Truth is, I'm not exactly arrogant or a bragger though. In that way, we are quite opposte, not to mention, the fact she's much more outgoing and direct than I am. However, there's also more than enough character depth about her as well. And it all started when she saw The Wonderbolts. From that point, she started doing a lot of things so she could become like them, and being a part of them. But of course, with every slice of confidence, comes the fear that always accompanies it. In Sonic Rainboom, she was totally freaking out about, not only not doing the SR, but also, becuase she might have lost her chance at being, or impressing, The Wonderbolts, the ones she has been working so hard so as to become like them, and not knowing when she would have her chance again. She's also very protective of those who surround her, and has their respect. While also taking her sweet time to take in the glory, we all know that going for the rescue is her main priority. The glory is her other plus. That's one of ther weaknesses anyway. Not knowing when to take her head back from the clouds. And something else I haven't seen mentioned too much is, that in May The Best Pet Win, the lesson is to not judge, and to trust those who are always willing to accompany you, regardless of who they may be, but also gave us another thing about RD. She doesn't want to feel left out from her friends. Otherwise, I don't think she would have all the trouble to get herself a pet. The fact she wanted the coolest one is also part of her personality, sunglasses aside B) .

Pinkie Pie: THY PARTAY PONE! Sorry, had to do that XD . Anyway, what DON'T I love from Pinkie Pie?...Er...Nothing? The same way as the others? Anyway, I share with Pinkie the like for being hyperkinetic all the time, being DA 4TH WALL BREAKER, her love of sweets, and I think her love for parties as well (I'm not that much of a party guy, but eh, HER parties are great :mellow: ). She also is clearly reminding of Looney Tunes, show I will always and forever adore in my heart. Why do you think my favorite episode is Feeling Pinkie Keen? You CAN'T reference the Looney Tunes more than that WITHOUT making it explicitly obvious! She always has the random style that I love with all my heart. I may not be a total fan of her songs, bit it's always hilarious when seeing it. Hence why favorite song is Evil Enchantress :lol: . But anyway, talking about depth, it's clear whaat she has. Her character has two faults that were obvious in a sense, and it all relates to the word friends. For one, she can't cope with not having friends, and with that, she lets out the other part of her, she probably left behind the day the Sonic Rainboow passed along her rock farm. It's always creepy to see her like that, but it's also part of her personality. A paranoid, untrusting pony, alongside a undoubdtedly happy, trusting pony. That's depth right there. And the other thing is, she can't cope with NOT being able to make someone her friend, the fact that being happy, funny, generous and totally trusting ISN'T always the way to approach a pony not something she could install in her pretty little head. And when she could turn Cranky Doodle her friend, well, rocket launcher GO!

Applejack: The honest. The dependable. The one and only...Applejack! What can I relate to her? The fact that she always wants to be honest. And that's she's stubborn XP . I always like to tell the truth...although sadly, I'm not able to to be like that all the time. I also tend to be severly stubborn, whether for good or for bad. And I like why she doesn't want anyone else to help for 2 reasons. One, her pride, and the other, she doesn't want to bother someone else with it. It's over being overproud or just confident. You decide. Anyway, what could be said about her depth? Well, for starters, her devotion to the Apple family was already something obvious after her not so great experience with the Oranges. So, to even show her devotion more than anything, aside from being a HARD worker, she's also putting her family in first place ONLY when her friends are showing up that could take off, and that's only on her breaks. Besides, she's always trying to see that her family lives best, hence her money-semiobssessed being probably? That, and the fact that disappointment, the same way it acts for Twilight and RD, is something she could not even BEAR to have. Not one single thing. She, along with Celestia and Luna, is the one I wish there were more centric related episodes. And she's also top 3 within my cutest fillies list, alongside with Twilight and Rarity :) .Sadly, not so much from her doesn't allow for much thought on her, but she has great potential. That much, I have no doubt in my mind. Not a single one.

And now, for a little bit of thought in the rest of the ponies or characters I would like to my two cents on.

Princess Celestia: I have to be real honest here. When I first saw her, I knew she was going to be calm and all, but I thought she was going to be slightly more...uptight. Imagine my surprise and utter enjoyment when was WAY more laidback than I thought. I absolutely loved her after repeatedly showing both her "badass mode" side, and her "laidback" side. Plus, she has some of the best faces, like the one that would be all "Oh really?" in Lesson Zero, for example. And don't get me started on the Grand Galloping Gala. You don't get much cooler than that B) . Plus, the potential for lingering sorrow after banishing Luna, EVEN THOUGH she was apologies have been spoken. I REALLY want to see a episode around her, either with Luna, alone, or of her past. That would make me real happy =) . I also would wonder (please don't kill me for this) just how mad she could get if Twilight was hurt by a villain. IF she does something that would make even the villain frightned, that's it, best princess ever!

Princess Luna: Well, the Princess of the Night arrived! To be honest, we only have her presentation in Luna Eclipsed, and her hilarious NON-presentation in Canterlot Wedding. But I really like how she was portrayed. Besides, ancient English is something alwaysd funny, especially for a non-native English speaker XP . She has charmed us through Royal Canterlot Voice, ancient English, and of course, her various faces, actions and such throughout the whole episode. That, after Canterlot Wedding, increased. "Did I miss anything?" is one of the best plotholes I've ever seen in my life XP . The potential for something along Celestia, and also lingering feelings is as great as well. Besides, who of us DOESN'T want her to go all "badass mode" on a villain? And let's not forget Nightmare Moon. I believe she's part of her being, hidden there, and that rises whne the darkness inside Luna takes control. This is something that culd always come back, considering, we saw her as NMM, and her fall...but we never saw her change back again...

Spike: It's difficult for me not to love Spike when he's a dragon, and I LOVE dragons. I even know a few words of Draconic for Celestia's sake! :P Anyway, I can relate the fact he's all trying to be sarcastic and snarky. I love those characters a lot. For being a baby, he's got a lot of that XP . Anyway, besides being Nº1 assistant, there's really a lot we could speak on depth. The fact he's always trying to help Twilight, having grown together (and that makes wonder whether Twilight is surrogate sister or surrogate mother), it also being the fact that made him epically jealous of Owlowiscious, his devotion to the ponies of Ponyville after all the time he spent there (and that's the thing that spawned the great fanfic It Takes A Village). He also makes the cutest couple with Rarity (yes I'm a fan of him and her, sue me XP ). He's had had more than plenty funny situations, even breaking the 4th wall! (Not as much as Pinkie, of course), and is always trying to be the comic relief alongside Pinkie. he's also the character that gives the "boy" feeling one MIGHT miss when watching MLP: FIM. He's one of my favorites, that's for sure, but I don't know if over Fluttershy, to be honest.

Nightmare Moon: Okay, so there isn't as much as NMM to actually say much about her, especially when I consider her a part inside Luna, but what can I say? Eternal night would have brought lots of problems and even deaths around, not to mention, having to me the best evil laughter I've heard in a long, LONG while. In fact, not since the one villain SHE made me thought of the moment she laughed. Maleficient, who is stil a holder, in my opinion, of one of the most evil laughters in history.

Discord: Well, screw everything when talking about this guy. What is it that I DON'T like about him?! Absolutely NOTHING! I'm also starting to ahve a tired hand, so here's a copy paste of what I once posted on a topic about first reactions to Discord:

Indeed Discord was absolutely unexpected. Seriously! I mean, I hadn't watched Startrek, so any references to Q was off (nor did I knew who John de Lancie was at that moment). Then, Discord appeared. My first reaction was "Alright...who's this guy?", and throughout the episode all he made me do was laugh and "UH OH" all the episode. Shuffling on Twilight's head IN the glass panel? Drinking the GLASS instead of the chocolate? Explosive chocolate? Interesting way to turn his enemies against each other? Playfully evil? Only lost because he was PLAYING with his enemies? Chocolate rain? (and not because of the meme or whatever. Didn't even know there was a meme of that). Cotton candy clouds? Actual great evil laugh whose only great contender was that of Nightmare Moon, which TOTALLY sounded like Maleficient, one of the villains with the best evil laugh ever? Freaking god of chaos that not even Celestia felt confident against?...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? How can I not love a guy like that!? In short I absolutely adore Discord, and he caused me a very good "Great villain" from the start. Whatever else that might have happened only helped me confirm such thoughts.

Besides, he's a chimera. That's just too awesome. And finally, a potential coming back is always something that I would appreciate. Like @@~Chaotic Discord~ said, what reason is there to like him? You don't need one. Pure and simple.

Queen Chrysalis: I must admit, ring of fire, epic transformation, and having a great song (though it's from a villain. They ALWAYS have the best songs. Always! ), are something I liked from her. Besides, even in defeat, she did something great. Becoming the Rocket Team from Pokemon! BLASTED OFF AGAIN! Still, she was great as a villain. Plus, using love to power yourself isn't exactly common now is it? And being Shang Tsung in pony style? YUS! (I'm sorry, I had to say that XP ).

I don't know if there's anyone else I'd like to put in here anyway. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are the characters I don't like the most, EVEN THOUGH, DT made a perfect Jonah J. Jameson...... Gilda is a jerk, pure and simple, even though griffons are awesome... :ph34r: . Trixie is your typical overarrogant pony, however, I'd like to know more about her backstory to see what brought her to Ponyville eventually..and where did she eventually go after Boast Busters. Cherilee is an awesome teacher (hey, showing a picture like THAT was something bold). Big Macintosh, the simplest pony ever, but best switcher of personality when the moment arises, not being just Eeyup and Nnopes...even though we ALL love them, yessiree! The baby Cakes? Heh, oh yeah...Double Trouble! Wee! Just want a laugh? Bring in babies!...And for now that's all I got.

Wow...this has been my longest post ever, I think...I'm surprised at myself...almost 14000 characters...and I'm not even regretting it...only place I'll ever get to write that much and not having people fall asleep for that WEEEE! XD

Edited by Arcanel
  • Brohoof 4

Wow...this has been my longest post ever, I think...I'm surprised at myself...almost 14000 characters...and I'm not even regretting it...only place I'll ever get to write that much and not having people fall asleep for that WEEEE! XD

Holy hay that was a big post, I loved it! It's amazing isn't it? That's why I like using open-ended questions because it doesn't really limit the poster to what they want to say. I get way more info by saying "Tell me about the ponies" than asking "Which ponies are your favorite".

And to everyone else that has posted, a big thanks! I have read all of your responses and while there are certainly differing opinions it's also cool to see how people mention the same characteristics of the ponies, yet have varying perspectives on those characteristics.

Originally meant to post this two days ago... got distracted right at the end and lost track of time. Anywho.

Twilight - Twilight is probably my 2nd favorite pony of the Mane 6. The reasons why, I don't really understand myself. I connect with her on the level of loving to learn about anything and everything, and having that cursed social awkwardness. I like her because she's very confident in herself, yet at the same time is a bit insecure when push comes to shove. I don't exactly know why that's an attracting feature. She can be a bit of a know-it-all, and gets frustrated with other ponies for not understanding her feelings and points of view. And that's something I can definitely relate to with her. Despite her being somewhat annoying at times, she has a cuteness and beauty that can't be denied. Plus dat magic ability.

Rainbow Dash - I'm gonna be honest. I really don't care for RD all that much. She has some great moments, and is very entertaining, but her personality just gets on my nerves. That cocky, arrogant attitude is something I find very unattractive in a person/pony, and it ends up showing her weaknesses rather than strengths. That's not to say she has a completely bad personality. She's shown to be very quick to stand up for not just her friends, but almost anypony who has no one to defend or speak for them. She can be humble, but usually only when she's forced into doing so. I think if she thought just a bit less highly of herself, it would change my views on her. But as it stands, she's just too over the top for me to really like her. Though I do admit, she's quite the looker.

Rarity - I really did not care for her at all when I first began watching the show. I thought she was uptight, too concerned about appearance and generally all-around selfish. The thing is, all that is pretty much true. She's gotten better, but at the core that's who she is and who she will be. But she's also been shown to be a great friend when it calls for it. She's in a bit of a similar situation to RD in that regard - except it seems like these kind of events seem to actually have had an effect on her. She's become much more generous (one would hope, right?) and more caring since her early days. I respect her for doing for own thing and generally creating her own path, while at the same time learning to be more accepting and kind to others. But I must say, I do not really see why she's considered a "gorgeous pony". Is she pretty? Certainly, but I just don't see where she gets the reputation of being (one of at least) the prettiest of all the Mane 6. To each their own, I guess.

Applejack - You know, there's really not a whole lot I can say about her. I do think she is probably the most moral of all the Mane 6. She has her moments where she falls away, but she's usually the first to admit she made a mistakes and right her wrongs, even if she is obtusely stubborn at times. She's a fantastic sister to Apple Bloom, and that gains her massive respect from me. But her personality? I just don't care for it. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, I just don't care for that "southern girl" kind of thing. Been around it my whole life, and I know it's wrong to judge her because of this, but... in my experience, these types of girls are usually self interested, manipulating...somethings. (I can't say those words here, it would just feel too wrong. But you know... they get around.) Perhaps some more of Applejack's hard work and honesty can change my opinion of that. ;)

Fluttershy - Well, what can I say about The Shy? She is a clear 1st in my favorites. She's shy and timid, which I relate with. She tries to avoid confrontation at all costs; also relatable. She's the most caring, kind and giving pony on the show in my opinion. This can make her a push over, but I can't fault her for it; again, I'm a lot like that myself. She always has every other ponys' interests in her mind before her own. There are rare exceptions where her fears can overcome her, but usually she ends up finding a way around this.

All of her personality flaws that people point out - I just don't see them that way. They're not flaws, they are attributes that aren't always there in her best interests. If that makes sense. And I mean, everything she does is BUCKING ADORABLE. I can't help but smile and D'AWWWW whenever she has a line in an episode. For what it's worth, this is as much her personality as it is her looks. Dunno about anyone else, but out of the Mane 6, none of them come even close to how beautiful and stunning she is. Fluttershy is just... I don't even know how to describe her beyond what I've said. If I didn't have a good head on my shoulders and a devastating lesson learned years back - I'd probably be in love with her. But that aside, she's just nearly the perfect pony for me to relate to and for these reasons and more - Fluttershy is best Mane 6 pony. :P

Pinkie Pie - I'm just gonna say it. I don't like Pinkie Pie. She's annoying, too disconnected, too random, too...weird. But that aside, we know that she really cares about her friends, and she wants to spread smiles and laughter throughout Equestria. That's all well and good, except that doesn't seem to be what she actually does. She tried way too hard to get people to like her, and it seems to me like most of the time, the characters act like they are simply tolerating her, and don't really prefer for her to be around. I dunno... I just don't like things that are that upbeat and happy, all the time. I mean, there's nothing wrong with being that way I suppose, it probably helps you deal with life a lot more. Maybe I'm just bitter. ;) But more to the point, I feel that she doesn't bring anything to the show besides comic relief. If I had to pick one of the Mane 6 to leave, it would be her without question. I guess I just feel like her character is just used for the plot of an episode, and not having it catered the other way around like it should be.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Applejack: The "Average Joe" of the Mane 6. She's perhaps slightly forgettable because she's not that special. She's proud and stubborn, yet also very easy to get along with. Despite her pride, she remains humble at all costs, allowing her actions to speak for themselves. Despite her stubborness, if she's not the centre of attention (i.e the mountain climb in Dragonshy), she shows herself to be rather flexible, and I admire the fact that she was willing to go out of her way to comfort Fluttershy. She shows herself to be very level-headed, doesn't panic easily and has a strong sense of focus. I see her as the most mature and well-rounded.

Fluttershy: The Quiet One. She's kind of like a far more intelligent version of Lennie from Of Mice and Men - and their love of animals can most definitely be paralleled as both characters feel inferior to their own kind, so petting animals creates a sense of superiority. She's gentle and loving, and a good friend to all (and incredibly cute). She does however, seem to suffer from some kind of disorder (I don't think it's Tourettes, nor ADHD, but something along that line). She's fully aware of all her shortcomings, and does her best to keep them at bay with a very peaceful and relaxing lifestyle.

PINKIE PIE: SHE'S PINKIE PIE AND SHE THREW THIS PARTY JUST FOR US! A CLOUDCUCKOOLANDER TO THE END, WHOSE PERCEPTIONS ON MOST MATTERS SEEM TO BE VERY DIFFERENT TO OUR OWN (POSSIBLY EVEN DISCORD STYLE). EVERY SOCIAL GROUP HAS THAT ONE FRIEND NOBODY UNDERSTANDS, AND PINKIE PIE FULFILLS THAT ROLE PERFECTLY. SHE'S ONE HUGE PARTY WHEREVER SHE GOES - FUN LOVING AND WARM, WITH LIMITLESS ENERGY. AND SHE'S MET BRONIES BEFORE - SHE HIDES IN TV SCREENS AND COMPUTERS ALL THE TIME! BUT I LOVE HER FOR WHAT SHE DOES!

Rainbow Dash: Adrenaline loving, free and wild. The more dangerous a situation, the more at home she feels. She seems to get bored easily and comes across to me as having a rather short attention span. She's incredibly ambitious and possibly thinks she's able to do more than she really can. Her aggressive nature creates an attitude of "I'll never falter, stumble or kneel," which serves as a double-edged sword. She has never ONCE come across as one for bickering, and would much rather deal with a volcano from the core. Frequently, it is Rainbow Dash who brings the Mane 6 together (even moreso than Twilight Sparkle). On the other hand, she is self-centred, as is universally agreed. If there's a boulder blocking her path, she'll destroy it.

Rarity: And what an admirable character she is! Very high strung, with high expectations from both herself and others (possibly moreso than RD). She demonstrates truly female qualities with pride, which is a true rarity, especially in this day and age. She's also more realistic than other characters (bar maybe AJ). And despite her femininity, she's anything but submissive. She's elegant, yet feisty and true to her convictions. And despite her sometimes selfishness (Sisterhooves Social springs to mind), in the same episode she proves that she is always there for those she cares for.

Twilight Sparkle: She's the clever one. Cynical and hard working, yet fearful that her standards are too low. She's always ready to disagree with even her best friends if need be, and quite often she's either correct, or the closest to correct. If she needs to do something (or believes she does), she will NEVER shirk away from the task at hand. Especially in the first season, she wrote many letters to Princess Celestia, genuinely learning from everything around her, proving to be a quick learner. And the most wonderful part is that in the Season 2 Finale, all her lessons of friendship are put to good use when she promptly realizes a false friend. She may not be the most exciting character, but she's what most people could only dream of.

Favourite to least favourite:

1. Rainbow Dash (10/10)

2. Applejack/Twilight Sparkle (9.8/10)

4. Rarity (9.7/10)

5. Fluttershy (9.6/10)

6. Pinkie Pie (9.3/10)

• Brohoof 2

Fluttershy: Despite being my favorite pony I've little to say about Fluttershy. She's supremely well-developed, adorable, and I easily relate to her. I suppose that's all the explanation I need anyway.

Twilight Sparkle: Given my username it is odd Twilight isn't my favorite pony. She's close though. For her value of and reliance on clear, rational thinking I respect and admire her. Indeed, the first thing that stuck out to me about the show and drew me into it was my appreciation of her.

Rarity: Reading comments of people saying they don’t like or care for her always hurts. True she didn't particularly stick out to me at first but after Suited for Success I loved her. That and Green Isn't Your Color are nearly the series best episodes (Look Before You Sleep is also pretty high up).

Rainbow Dash: She's Rainbow Dash, what more is there to say? She's #$@& awesome.

Pinkie Pie: A fun character, I appreciate all the development she got in Griffon the Brush Off, Party of One, and Baby Cakes. She's also notable for being the only thing to prevent Swarm of the Century from being a completely forgettable episode. One can't accuse her of lacking nuance. Smaller touches like her reaction to Applejack breaking her Pinkie Promise also make her stand out. She's a good character, indeed, a great one. But on a personal level I don't care for her quite as much as the above ponies.

Applejack: She’s a good character nevertheless her personality holds little appeal to me.

• Brohoof 1

I have to say that I am quite amazed at the awesome responses I am getting from you ponyfolk! To me, it seems like Pinkie is quite the wild card, fitting. She seems to either be really loved or not much enjoyed.

Don't stop now though! And of course, no need to talk just about the mane 6, feel free to talk about any character at all! Whether they be protagonist, background character, one-time character, or villain!

• 1 month later...

When watching older episodes from season 2 and comparing them with season 1 and 3, I noticed something in the development of the characters of the mane 6.

While they resemble their element, some things haven't been worked out enough and others way too much. I even noticed that with season 3, they seem to deliberately try to exaggerate the behaviour and characters of the pony galls.

Fluttershy:

While they preserve her shy and kind nature extremely well, they fail to kind of progress with her character. Every time she learns something new, or gets a new point of view on things she seems to have forgotten it all in the next episode and she starts off again as good old Fluts. This doesn't really bother me since her element is well represented through her and she remains cute.

Twilight Sparkle:

In the season 3 premiere, she was exaggerated WAY too much. The fate of an entire empire wasn't nearly not important than for Twily to pass her test...? I more expected her to be the one that would understand that sometimes there are things more important than your own personal gain. I also think they could do more with the element of Magic. Although it came forward in the episode 'Magic Duel', it could be pressed more that she resembles magic. Otherwise she's just 'some unicorn that can do spells and stuff'.

Applejack:

She has really been reduced to a background character. She represents 'hard labor' better than 'honesty'. They really need to think about what they want to do with her. Her character could be so interesting but in no episode has it really been worked out. If you ask me now to summarize her in 2 lines, I couldn't do it.

Rarity:

In the older episodes she expressed generosity very well in my opinion. Her character is also one of the best. She the old familiar drama-queen of Equestria. Yet she seems to kind of fade away in the background in season 3. My advice: give her an entire episode to bring her back to her old glory.

Pinkie Pie:

She is changing from a happy, cheerful pony, to some overly-attached, on-the-brink-of-mentally-collapsing borderline case. I really despise this development. I get the feeling her laughs and jokes aren't 'natural Pinkie' anymore, but just forced jokes to keep her interesting. I will come back to this shortly.

Rainbow Dash:

I never thought she was a bad character and she never faded away or was too much in the spotlight. I really loved the last episode 'Wonderbolt Academy'. Her moment to really shine was some moment. In terms of her element, they hit it spot-on.

To come back to my last line in Pinkie's part, I get the feeling the whole show is being made a bit 'fake'. The feeling I get from the ponies is not natural anymore, things just seem to be made so that bronies like it. In my opinion, the show is loosing some of it's essence.

Share your thoughts!

• Brohoof 1

Fluttershy: While they preserve her shy and kind nature extremely well, they fail to kind of progress with her character. Every time she learns something new, or gets a new point of view on things she seems to have forgotten it all in the next episode and she starts off again as good old Fluts. This doesn't really bother me since her element is well represented through her and she remains cute.

That makes sense because in most tv shows the main characters have something bad happen to them and then in the next episode nothing has happened. Examples: Futurama bender explodes and killed everyone but in the next episode they are all better. South park kenny dies and in the next episode he is ok.