Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Discord actually Starswirl the Bearded?

That Colt

78 users have voted

1. 1. Are Discord and Star Swirl the same person?

• Yes
    • No

Ok one of the main reasons everyone says Discord is Star Swirl is because Discord can time travel. Now when is Discord shown to time travel? If he ever does I can't find it, and if Discord can time travel so what? So can Twilight, and any other unicorn that is strong enough, and has access to the Canterlot Library. Now as far as Discord being Star Swirl, I've not decided about what side I stand on that, though I think this debunks the whole time travel stuff, atleast partly.

Hello! Since your thread closely matches an earlier one, I've merged the two together. In the future, please run a search before creating a new thread. Thank you.

(edited)

(Specifically for this reason: watching Twilight flip out if she discovered her idol became Discord would be some funny sh*t.)

And the fact that she not only met him, but actually DEFEATED him would probably send her into some form of hysteria.

And my idea for when Star Swirl was actually around maybe the age of Twilight's parents when he had Clover the Clever as his student, and when Celestia and Luna came along, Celestia made him her student, which eventually led to possibly Star Swirl trying to cast the spell the Elements used to make Twilight ascend to an alicorn, but because he didn't understand friendship, he became Discord instead. Or maybe he tried to use the Element of Magic. I mean, did we all see what Sunset Shimmer looked like? I think that that would've been powerful enough to do something like that to Star Swirl.

Edited by Blitz
  • Brohoof 1

Hm... This could revive Discord as a cool villain/character in my eyes. The Discord reforming episode was quite disappointing. Thinking about it though, the evidence does really add up. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised.

It does add up rather evenly..

I mean, if he was Star Swirl before and he abused his power to become the ruler of Equestria and make Ponyville the chaos capital of the world, it explains why he's a draquonequus. Celestia must've turned him into one..

Hello!

Oh the controversies! This is mega exciting, and it's hard to know if these sources are believable or not. We've seen similar stuff happen when the first leaks of Twilight becoming an alicorn appeared...

It all makes incredible sense, but I wouldn't state that the "stary" images only belong to Starswirl... Stars are magic in general, even Twilight has a star for her cutie mark.

Discord is considered a God, but how could a pony like Starswirl become a god? Does this mean any pony out there could have became a God? :wacko:

That would be a very interesting and epic concept. I'm not sure if they will admit to Discord being Starswirl, or even if he is, but a very, very cool idea nonetheless.

Okay, I'm going to tell you all something: STARSWIRL THE BEARDED = DISCORD

It would explain why Celestia had such feels when Discord first appeared to us. The spell Starswirl tried to create, presumably to make him an allicorn when the Princess rejected him, failed and mutated him into Discord. The spell had a lesser affect on the girls because it was spread over all six of them. Again with Discord's relationship with the Princess, it would explain their disdain for each other. Also linking to when we find out discord has no friends, Starswirl poured himself into study and never met any friends, explaining why Celestia wanted Twilight to have friends so much. I wonder if this theory is shared by the show's writers.

Celestia didn't want another Starswirl, and she noticed how he/Discord had no friends, so she changed that with her newest pupil, Twilight. As Twilight says in Magical Mystery cure, "A little while ago, my teacher and mentor Princess Celestia sent me to live in Ponyville. She sent me to study friendship, something I didn't really care much about..." 

Both characters, Twi and Starswirl, only cared about their studies.

Another hint, Discord appears to truly hate Celestia, and she in turn dislikes, or at least distrusts, him. What Discord seems to feel toward the others, even though they had turned him back to stone as Celestia had, is more of a need for control than hate. 

It all happened 1000 years ago.

What do you think?

post-17981-0-06517700-1374362346_thumb.png

• Brohoof 2

I believe this was already mentioned, but there is a great possibility that it could be proven.

It does make sense when you piece it together, that, and this comic that I saw not too long ago...

life_cycle_of_star_swirl_the_bearded_by_

• Brohoof 2

I believe this was already mentioned, but there is a great possibility that it could be proven.

It does make sense when you piece it together, that, and this comic that I saw not too long ago...

img-1672552-1-life_cycle_of_star_swirl_t

Yes, I have heard it once or twice before, but not in a full description, so I figured why not just give a shot at it.

I like that comic btw

The theory has been floating around, its a little bit of a stretch though, so i'm not sure I'm totally gonna believe it.

Regardless I do kinda wanna see something about Starswirl in S4. Maybe more info about him.

I think the Discord is Starswirl theory is possible, but at the same time its a stretch to much for me in some cases.

While the mutation thing sorta makes sense, it appears that the spell incomplete just rearranges destinies, still this part of the theory is probably the strongest, as we don't know if having an incomplete or malfunctioned spell is just a random disaster or something.

The fact Starswirl would try to transform into an Alicorn, but failed, is a pretty believable part, however like I said I'm not sure based on what happened to the mane 6, but its possible.

However the fact that Celestia says "He didn't understand Friendship like you do" Wouldn't make sense in that present time with Discord, because Discord at this time would've actually been reformed and know about friendship.

I suppose he didn't know it, and still doesn't to Twilights extent, but idk it doesn't add up quite as well with Discord reformed.

Celestia seems a bit more trusting in Discord now it seems though.

Still the problem I have is that Starswirl has just been mentioned in the series, and almost no info is given about him. Theres still a good bit of mystery around Starswirl, heck even Discord.

Another issue with this theory, is assuming that Celestia and Luna where not princesses before defeating Discord, and obtaining rule over Equestria, that means that Celestia couldn't have had StarSwirl as an apprentice. Or atleast its much less likely seeing as she only seemed to have them after becoming a ruler and an Alicorn. If that is the case it wouldn't make sense since she defeated Discord before becoming a Princess alongside her sister, and she also imprisoned Discord so he didn't change back either.

Of course theres alot of speculation to this, and not alot of it is solid, so for now I don't know if i totally believe it, but its a cool and interesting theory regardless.

The theory has been floating around, its a little bit of a stretch though, so i'm not sure I'm totally gonna believe it.

Regardless I do kinda wanna see something about Starswirl in S4. Maybe more info about him.

I think the Discord is Starswirl theory is possible, but at the same time its a stretch to much for me in some cases.

While the mutation thing sorta makes sense, it appears that the spell incomplete just rearranges destinies, still this part of the theory is probably the strongest, as we don't know if having an incomplete or malfunctioned spell is just a random disaster or something.

The fact Starswirl would try to transform into an Alicorn, but failed, is a pretty believable part, however like I said I'm not sure based on what happened to the mane 6, but its possible.

However the fact that Celestia says "He didn't understand Friendship like you do" Wouldn't make sense in that present time with Discord, because Discord at this time would've actually been reformed and know about friendship.

I suppose he didn't know it, and still doesn't to Twilights extent, but idk it doesn't add up quite as well with Discord reformed.

Celestia seems a bit more trusting in Discord now it seems though.

Still the problem I have is that Starswirl has just been mentioned in the series, and almost no info is given about him. Theres still a good bit of mystery around Starswirl, heck even Discord.

Another issue with this theory, is assuming that Celestia and Luna where not princesses before defeating Discord, and obtaining rule over Equestria, that means that Celestia couldn't have had StarSwirl as an apprentice. Or atleast its much less likely seeing as she only seemed to have them after becoming a ruler and an Alicorn. If that is the case it wouldn't make sense since she defeated Discord before becoming a Princess alongside her sister, and she also imprisoned Discord so he didn't change back either.

Of course theres alot of speculation to this, and not alot of it is solid, so for now I don't know if i totally believe it, but its a cool and interesting theory regardless.

Hmm, I didn't know that Celestia wasn't a princess pre-defeating discord.

Just want to point out, the writers said that they themselves had no idea what the spell was actually supposed to do, but now that I think about it, maybe it was supposed to change his destiny so that he would be accepted by the princess?

Anyway, transforming into discord would still be a change of destiny.

I think the spell would've affected that mane 6 in a different way than it would to one pony, given their tight connection with each other, at any rate two very different situations.

Starswirl was also mentioned in the Nightmare night episode, and I think Twilight mentioned him a couple of other times as well.

I do hope they have more about him in season 4, discord as well.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, I didn't know that Celestia wasn't a princess pre-defeating discord.

Just want to point out, the writers said that they themselves had no idea what the spell was actually supposed to do, but now that I think about it, maybe it was supposed to change his destiny so that he would be accepted by the princess?

Anyway, transforming into discord would still be a change of destiny.

I think the spell would've affected that mane 6 in a different way than it would to one pony, given their tight connection with each other, at any rate two very different situations.

Starswirl was also mentioned in the Nightmare night episode, and I think Twilight mentioned him a couple of other times as well.

I do hope they have more about him in season 4, discord as well.

Well its not explicitly stated that she isn't a princess pre defeating discord, but its pretty implied I personally think.

I assume the writers know, maybe they just didn't say so. Maybe it spoils S4 partly who knows. I've read some interesting theories on what the spell did to Twilight, and what the spell did to the mane 6. But I think that atleast the one that Starswirl had created at first that lacked the key element, friendship, changed destinies. 

I'm pretty sure he was already accepted by the princess assuming he is Starswirl, and then became Discord, I don't think he needed to be accepted already being her pupil.

But I can agree the spell could've changed his destiny and the result of that made him Discord, which is why its the more solid part of the theory.

I suppose its possible it could've affected them differently had it not been on all 6 of them, but since we have no times its used other then the one time on the mane 6(Atleast cannon) its up to interpretation.

Starswirl is mentioned a few times, but most times he just is mentioned by name, and told that he was a powerful Unicorn, who also happened to be Celestia's apprentice(Atleast I believe that was said, but I forget when.)

He is also mentioned I think during "Its about Time" but regardless most of the times hes mentioned its kinda irrelevant info or just his name, he still lacks alot of backstory info, as does Discord. Which is why I hope both have light shed on them in the future.

The theory is possible, but I'm not sure I believe it quite yet.

• Brohoof 1

Okay, I'm going to tell you all something: STARSWIRL THE BEARDED = DISCORD

Your topic, 'Is Discord actually Starswirl in another form?' discussed the same rumored concept that was given several months back across the fandom, and discussed in the topic, 'RUMOR: Discord is...(Possible Spoilers)' :3 Since those theories have been more or less shelved (one step above outright debunked, ya know, from actually happening anytime soon), I've merged the two topics and renamed it to 'Is Discord actually Starswirl the Bearded?'

• 1 month later...

These are not "proofs", they are (much like the rumor that Discord is Starswirl) speculative statements. Just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, here are some counterpoints to your "proof":

1. In the episode Hearth's Warming Eve, the ponies act in a play depicting how Equestria was formed. In this play, Twilight plays the role of Clover the Clever, yet what becomees of her mentor Starswirl the Bearded is never mentioned. It's very possible that Starswirl became Discord at some point between the forming of Equestria and when Celestia and Luna arrived, as Discord is not mentioned in the play either.

2. It's also equally likely that Discord cannot (or chooses not to) remember his life as Starswirl the Bearded for whatever reason. If Discord really was Starswirl, it would explain how he has such a good understanding of pony magic, and why when he was in the Royal Canterlot Garden in the beginning of Return to Harmony, Part 1, which we've seen is just outside the Canterlot Archives (and subsequently the Starswirl the Bearded wing) in It's About Time.

It is entirely possible Discord IS Starswirl, as it would logically explain why Celestia needed to have him reformed, as she could posssibly turn Discord back into Starswirl to teach Twilight more advanced magic. This is also backed up by the fact that the synopsis for the season finale Magical Mystery Cure says Twilight needs to create her own magic to fix the spell that backfired.

By saying you are simply playing devils advocate, I assume that you are not in support of the Discord is Starswirl idea. While there is no canonized proof that they are one in the same and subsequently no canonized explanation about what happened to Starswirl in the Hearth's Warming Eve pageant, I have written a fanfic that goes into that. Also, until it is blatantly said I'm the show that Discord is not Starswirl, I well believe it, the coincidences are just too many to ignore.

No no NO! I want Patrick Stewart to voice Star Swirl the Bearded, and then have him be Discord's original archnemises, for no other reason but the Star Trek reference.

I can dream, right? And if it all tied to this story, I would absolutely die happy.

Edited by KipTardis89
  • Brohoof 1

But what if the leaked dialogue is in that episode and Discord is proven to be Starswirl? That would be pretty awesome too. Besides, you already got enough scifi reference in Return of Harmony with Discord essentially being Q and the ending being a neatly perfect mirror of the Star Wars ending. And, though I haven't seen enough of Next Generation to back this up, I'm sure that there is an episode where Q makes the crew have to go through somesort of maze or trials, it wouldn't surprise me if there was.

I saw the thread title when I logged on as the most recently posted topic, but it was cut off due to length, truncated to only a 'D'.

I assumed the thread was "Two Proofs Starswirl isn't Dead", and began thinking that it would be an interesting thing to speculate. However I don't think such a branch could be explored too far without risk of Hasbro axing the idea because the Fandom thought of it first.

• 2 weeks later...

star_swirl_the_discord_by_stepandy-d5ui5

An interesting theory I've heard.  There are several variations, but most say that Star Swirl's unfinished spell turned him into Discord.

I disagree with the theory, and here's why:

Star Swirl the Bearded is remembered by no pony, except for Celestia, Luna, and Twilight.  And why not?  He's overshadowed by his student, Clover the Clever, who helped found Equestria.  I find it hard to believe that the unicorn king wouldn't want the greatest unicorn that ever lived to help unite the pony tribes.

There is also the fact that, if he was alive at the time, he'd be the greatest threat to the windigos.  They would want to neutralize that threat ASAP, which would account for Clover's attitude.  Clover also referred to him in the past tense.

Celestia said that Discord ruled Equestria until she and her sister came into power.  Since he was not mentioned in the Hearth's Warming Eve play, he must have taken over later, well after Star Swirl passed away.

What are your thoughts?  Defense for this theory?

What are your thoughts?  Defense for this theory?

It is definitely an interesting theory and I see the basis for it, but I do agree with your takedown. The timeline and notoriety are inconsistent unless you sort of fudged the timeline by saying something like that his unfinished spell also put him into a stasis/statue form that allowed to him to return later, but that's a pretty big stretch.

Also a really good image for the thread.

I personally don't think that Discord is Star Swirl the Bearded but it would be a cool twist if done well. But I would rather think of Discord as a being that has always existed ,kinda like the some creatures in the Cthulhu mythos. I feel like it would just cheapen both of their characters to me if they turned out to be the same.