Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What age does bronyhood begin?

Doe

When does a regular MLP fan become a brony? I always thought bronies were 18 years + but I've seen folks on here as young as 13 call themselves a brony  :huh:

Can't really say, but I guess it should probably be outside of the targeted age group first. I'm only 15 but I do call myself a Brony even though I'm almost in the targeted age group ( I think it was from something to 12, not sure completely). I guess you're never too old for ponies.

Edited by PinkiePai

hmmm... any age rely?

it was originally used for the older males who like the show, but then i grew into the name of the fandom, so if you are a fan and want to be know as a brony.... then tada 

Guess it's the same time as you stop being identified as a child and start being identified as a teenager but to be honest I have no idea when you "officially" become a brony since it doesn't really matter.

• Brohoof 1

According to the term 'brony', bro pony. That means that brony is anyone (Maybe male. Pegasis?) who likes pony. This way, I think age isn't important.

• Brohoof 1

I'm eleven and consider myself a brony. It's not necessarily what age you are, but rather if you think of yourself as a brony or a casual pony fan. If you consider yourself a brony, you are one. c:

• Brohoof 1

Ahhhh so does brony mean 'dedicated' as opposed to 'casual'? So bronies collect merch and watch FIM religiously whereas a regular MLP fan isn't so dedicated.

I thought bronyhood was about age.

First you must apprentice at the monestary of harmony. Then, you must journey to the Crystal Empire on a pilgrimage and seek out the blessings of the six disciples of harmony. Then, you must gather the relics, and perform the ritual of friendship. Only then, can you seek entry into the Bronyhood. Your entry; decided after a meeting between the princesses of the sun and moon on the either the Spring or Autumn Equinox.

But seriously, there is no age requirement to become a brony, it just sort of happens.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think that something like that really relies on age.  It just depends on when on that golden moment when someone makes that decision of whether or not they like the show! Each individual moves at their own pace and are very different so it's very hard to generalize ^^; You become a fan when you want to become a fan.  Age is of no importance when it comes to interests, really! It's more of a self-reliant thing rather than age-reliant, I think. :3

• Brohoof 1

I think it really depends on what level you like the show at. For me this is just one of those question that it really depends on what you feel about this show. You could be a fan of My Little Pony when you're 7 or 8. But, my belief is you're fully a Brony around Tween-Teen (Maybe at like ten)  But, really it's about how Mature you really are and how much of a collector you really are. It differs from person to person. There's no real starting point or Point you need to stop being a Brony it's up to you really.

This is from urban dictionary:

"According to BronyStudy, the age of bronies ranges from 14 to 57, with the average age being 21 years old. The fandom is predominantly male, with approximately 86% of bronies being male."

More interesting brony stats:

"According to BronyStudy, approximately 84% of bronies described themselves as heterosexual, 1.7% described themselves as homosexual, 10.3% described themselves as bisexual and 3.8% as asexual. This is about an average distribution of sexual orientation."

It doesnt really matter how old you really are, as long as you appreciate the ponies, then yeah, you can call yourself a brony, even though im a girl i hate the term pegasister, i honestly wish brony was a universal term for all

I wouldn't say that it would be age really

I'd say it would have to be a time where you're able to be more comfortable with watching a show like this rather then being like this, "Show about ponies for girls?! NOPE TOO GIRLY NOT MANLY ENOUGH!" 

I remember being like that, not really wanting to watch the show due to me being in High School at the time and just watching more of Nostalgia Critic, then due to life circumstances I gave the show a chance and became more appreciative 

It doesnt really matter how old you really are, as long as you appreciate the ponies, then yeah, you can call yourself a brony, even though im a girl i hate the term pegasister, i honestly wish brony was a universal term for all

I don't refer to myself as a pegasister. I see no reason that the fandom should be broken apart by gender. Just because the term "bro" typically refers to males is no reason to segregate a fandom. After all, we use male terms to generalize about humanity, or "man-kind" all the time, why should bronihood be different?

As for age, I don't think it matters. It's all about what that person sees themselves as. Generally a 7 year old girl is not going to be a brony, she's just a kid who likes kid things. But if that same seven year old appreciates the show for more than the brightly colored ponies, and then seeks out a group of like minded people to discus it with, and finally starts calling herself a brony then she's a brony.

• Brohoof 2

A lot would say 14+ It's not too old it's not too close to the age range.  I would say, I don't think there is an age range persay, if you love the show and you spend time on the community, then I could say your a brony.

Thanks everyone for your answers. It's great to read a whole range of opinions. This has become a really interesting thread. Bronies unite!  :lol:

It can start anytime, but usually the lowest age one starts watching and is considered a brony is 13. I'm 14, and I just started watching this August.

Well bronyhood can happen at any age, as long as you enjoy the show & love the community. You can call yourself a brony, even if you don't learn more things down the road.

I don't think bronyhood begins at a specific age  yes  technically the majority is between 15-25  but there are other people out there that are younger. or older than the target age range (I am older)  heck,  there could be a five year old boy who loves MLP and is a brony, but he wouldn't  know what a brony is.

Edited by angels_gal