Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

About how tall are the ponies?

DoctorWhovian1902

(edited)

I'm imagining ponies how tall are they is a good question to me.

Regular ponies are like mare is 4' as in student's and teen's size, fillies are 3' in elementary student's size, and stallion ponies (Big McIntosh, Shining Armor, and royal guards) are 5'. Also with the alicorns (winged unicorns) are Princess Luna and Cadence is 6' and Princess Celestia is between 7' and 8' (the tallest one).

Edited by Allen

• 3 months later...

UPDATE FOR HEIGHT THEORY

I am basing my idea off of this image of Octavia found on Octavia Melody's MLP Wiki page

Here, Octavia is standing next to a cello.

Octavia is shorter than a cello.

A 4/4 cello is 48" tall.

Therefore, a full grown earth pony standing on their hind legs is less than 48" tall.

Immediately the idea of a full grown earth pony being 4' tall is obsolete, and I'll come back tomorrow and think about how tall one may be on all four hooves.

I suspect I would have to divide 48" by 1.618, making an earth pony less than 28.5714" tall flat-hoofed. But that more than likely is incorrect.

UPDATE FOR HEIGHT THEORY

I am basing my idea off of this image of Octavia found on Octavia Melody's MLP Wiki page

Here, Octavia is standing next to a cello.

Octavia is shorter than a cello.

A 4/4 cello is 48" tall.

Therefore, a full grown earth pony standing on their hind legs is less than 48" tall.

Immediately the idea of a full grown earth pony being 4' tall is obsolete, and I'll come back tomorrow and think about how tall one may be on all four hooves.

I suspect I would have to divide 48" by 1.618, making an earth pony less than 28.5714" tall flat-hoofed. But that more than likely is incorrect.

Despite your findings, I find that hard to believe. In case you didn't look, check my earlier post on this matter on this exact thread down below.

Does this explain it? Because I call that legit.

17.PNG

The whole numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) are in fact representing the imperial measurement of "feet" (or "foot"). Heck the imperial system is mentioned many times (or a few times) in the show that it's blatantly obvious that Equestria uses the imperial system, despite it being a fictional world.

The writers intentionally left in the imperial system, so I will let them go with that. It's much easier to know exactly how the writers intended the show to be understood without having to go through an extra learning curve of an unessentially, unnecessary fictional measurement system. It's just much easier for us viewers to just know that the fictional world of Equestria (including the neighbouring countries) uses the Imperial System.

Case closed. End of story.

Heck, my MLP IRL Portraits (in this thread) show the heights of the characters with extreme accuracy (with a little hic-cup on the earlier ones I've made).

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 1

I think the fillies are about two feet, the ponies are about four feet, and the princesses are about six feet.

That seems like the most likely answer, anyways. 

Well Twilight have grown nicely from her alicorn form to her princess form. Taller hooves ^ _ ^

• Brohoof 1

4 feet on average

Here's a quick chart that uses the candy cane from Hearth's Warming Eve, same as that other image, but a little more organized

my-little-pony-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%

Twilight has gotten a little taller, I believe

Edited by The Nth Doctor
  • Brohoof 1

4 feet on average

Here's a quick chart that uses the candy cane from Hearth's Warming Eve, same as that other image, but a little more organized

sig-4108937.my-little-pony-%D1%84%D1%8D%

Twilight has gotten a little taller, I believe

It's rather cool to see my height chart that I made for funsies being used a couple of times for a discussion. For the record (I'm referring to anyone reading this), I didn't use any math when I was making this. I was just using visual screenshots.

However when Luna made her second appearance, I can say she was about as tall as Celestia. Then I think they fixed it in the next appearance to be as tall as Cadance, Shining Armor and Fancy Pants.  Also, young Shining armor was as tall as Big Mac.

Edited by Nit Pick
  • Brohoof 3

I would say that they're around about 3 and a half feet tall, given the 8 foot candy cane theory and this image.

But I have once watched a video that goes a little more in-depth on the various height theories and seeing how tall the ponies are on average with these theories. It's a pretty interesting watch.

• Brohoof 2

I think they would be about the size of a Shetland pony. Shetland Ponies have a maximum height of 44 inches (~3.7 feet) at the withers (the ridge in between the shoulder blades, basically the back). So if you add the height from the neck and head, the maximum height of a normal pony would be about 4.5 to 5 feet. Now this is the maximum height so that would be a pony like Big Mac, not the mane 6. I imagine Celestia would be about the size of a horse, which would put her at about 6 feet tall at the withers, and maybe 7 to 8 feet tall with her head raised to her max height. Now I'm not a horse expert, I just spent a few minutes on google, so my measurements may not be exact. 

Equestria'a physical laws are far different from Earth. Take gravity, inertia and aerodynamics. A Pegasus of Rainbow Dash's size, with her wingspan, would NEVER be able to lift off of the ground on Earth. On Equestria she can fly at mach speed without her body being torn apart, while carrying four full grown ponies equal to her in size and weight. Wind resistance, what's that? Five times your normal weight, big deal! Forget about Rainbow for a moment. What about Bulk Biceps? If he was the size of an Earthly beagle, and had the same wingspan, his wings still would not budge him an inch off of the ground. Gravity and inertia clearly function in some strange and totally different way in Equestria. If they didn't, Twilight would have been instantly crushed to death when an anvil, a fully loaded hay cart, AND a piano fell on her in "Feeling Pinkie Keen". As for Pinkie, no physical laws apply at all!

Speaking of gravity. Orbital mechanics:

Equestria apparently does not move through the heavens. Celestia and Luna raise the sun and moon respectively. Equestria does not orbit their sun. Their moon does not orbit their planet.

Optics. Light absorption is clearly far different than on Earth. Pink blue and yellow ponies? Zap apples?  

"I’ve walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a madman."

- The Doctor

I blame magic. Magic fixes everything.

• Brohoof 1

I always imagine them as waist high at the withers, and their beads being at just below chest level, making them roughly the same height as the average human when reared up on their back hooves.