Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

About how tall are the ponies?

DoctorWhovian1902

@, please understand me. How would you feel if you had seen this "lazy quoting" nearly every other post you see. You're not the first one I'm telling about this. After literally hundreds of quotes like that, this could become really a pain in the *apple*. And when I don't see any tiny friggin' bit of willingness from your side to fix the problem, stubbornly holding to your point and making cheap excuses by imputing me of being harsh instead? Well, then now I am harsh. This is how I look when I'm harsh. Happens.

And, for increasing the irony of the situation, just after my post someone else (yeah, it's you, @) is quoting the whole image once again just to write several words? OH COME ON! :angry: I could expect such things from new users. But I see you're around here for some time, you should know better.

Edited by SasQ

@, please understand me. How would you feel if you had seen this "lazy quoting" nearly every other post you see. You're not the first one I'm telling about this. After literally hundreds of quotes like that, this could become really a pain in the *apple*. And when I don't see any tiny friggin' bit of willingness from your side to fix the problem, stubbornly holding to your point and making cheap excuses by imputing me of being harsh instead? Well, then now I am harsh. This is how I look when I'm harsh. Happens.And, for increasing the irony of the situation, just after my post someone else (yeah, it's you, @) is quoting the whole image once again just to write several words? OH COME ON! :angry:

Your crusade is not going to be effective should you continue with your current antagontisticly suggestive verbiage. So while your cause may be noble, your language is not going to further that cause, other than increase responses akin to mine.

I don't think my language is the main reason of my "crusade" not being effective. If I used different language, would you be more willing to change anything in your behavior? I really doubt it. Prove me wrong, though.

OK, I planned only one short message to tell you what's wrong, not a "crusade", and I can see it, too, that this whole exchange of messages won't get us anywhere, so this is my last one. I don't want to disturb the main thread anymore.

Sorry folks for the inconvenience. Rant is over. Please continue.

I don't think my language is the main reason of my "crusade" not being effective. If I used different language, would you be more willing to change anything in your behavior? I really doubt it. Prove me wrong, thou

Had you simply said "hey man, could you please not quote the entire thing next time" I would have apologized for my transgression, and made an effort to edit the post. If you really think that using more friendly language will not effect how effective you are going to be, I wonder if you interact with people at all.

and to keep this on topic

post-23625-0-94193900-1398371023_thumb.jpg This scale uses the "8 foot tall candy cane* seen in hearthswarming eve. Now it may not be accurate, as it assumes that Equestria uses the same measurement for feet as we do, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Good point.

But there is one common object between the two worlds which can allow us to agree upon a scale:

There's also the hoof scale, which is pretty much the same as the apple scale:

How do you know Equestrian apples are the same size as Earth apples? What if they're as small as Earthly cherries, or big as our world's pumpkins? There is no correlation between Equestria and Earth. The two worlds don't even share the same physical laws.  Besides that, you can't use apples as a standard of measurement. There is no set size. Between types of apple, the sizes vary greatly. If something is twenty apples high, think of how different it would be if you used a four inch high, or eight inch apple as your standard. Twenty apples each four inches high would measure about six and a half foot tall. Twenty apples measuring in at eight inches would be just over thirteen foot tall.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

First off, I didn't invent that apple scale. Don't kill the messenger   :blush:

How do you know Equestrian apples are the same size as Earth apples?

I don't know if they're the same size as on Earth. But I can deduce it from other things, if we really need to go that deep ;)

There are some physical constraints an apple has to meet to retain its integrity. You might heard about the fact that if a bone is made larger, its cross-sectional area has to grow as the square of its length to retain the same density and strength, otherwise the bone will break. Or that if you made a wooden shack twice as big, you need to use four times as strong wood (or increase its cross-section). The conclusion is that the physical world is symmetrical with regard to position and rotation (that's where their corresponding linear and angular momentum conservation laws come from -- see Noether's theorem), but it is not symmetrical with regard to scale.

Richard Feynman, world-famous physicists and Nobel prize laureate, described in his "Lectures on Physics" an experiment which shows that. You can make an electronic apparatus which sends and receives radio waves, or light. You can make it twice as big, or half as big, but it won't change the wavelength of light (or radio waves), because it will always depend on the sizes of particular atoms.

There's a physical constant, called "fine structure constant", which binds together several other physical constants and measures in the atomic scale. If this constant would be different by a tiny fraction, stable atoms won't form at all. A bit less, and the electrons would repel too hard. A bit more and the atoms would collapse inwards. This constant is exactly that to maintain the atoms in perfect equilibrium.

The very same principle allows us to make atomic clocks which would work the same no matter where we are in the Universe, or deduce some information about distant star systems (e.g. chemical constituents) by measuring light coming to us from them.

One can imagine a different world, such as Equestria, with some laws of physics working differently. But there are some constraints which cannot be changed if one wants to have a stable universe (no pun intended :lol: ).

So we can safely assume several things about that alien world. First, that if we see their apples are red, then the wavelength of light reflected from these apples has to be the same as on Earth. Otherwise we would see blue apples or don't see them at all. We can measure the wavelengths of light reflected form their apples to figure out their chemical constituents.

(Side note: If you still believe the surface of Mars is red, as NASA tells you, then make a spectroscopic analysis of their photos, and you will see a lot of strange shit  B) The spectra are shifted towards red purposely, and you can often restore the original colors by shifting them back, using some shade of gray as a reference. There's no way the particular bunch of chemicals to send/reflect different wavelengths of light on Earth and on Mars.)

We can also observe how gravitation acts upon these apples. If these apples were bigger than on Earth, their density should be lower to retain the common ratio, and then the gravitational force would act upon them more lightly, so they could be thrown higher, less force would be required to throw them or pull a cart of apples etc. But we don't see anything such in the episodes. The apples seem to behave like normal Earth apples.

What if they're as small as Earthly cherries, or big as our world's pumpkins?

This is possible, but it would influence their other parameters, such as density, mass, structural integrity etc.

There is no correlation between Equestria and Earth.

Bold statement ;) I see many correlations between Earth's nature and Equestria's nature (grass, trees, fruits, flowers, some animals etc.). "No correlation" would mean 0 in common.

The two worlds don't even share the same physical laws.

Except gravity, electromagnetism, Newton's laws of motion.... ;) Pretty much all we have here on Earth.

But they also have Magic and they know how to use it to interact with these laws of physics (I'd call it "extended physics").

Of course blinking on the fact that this is just a cartoon  :D But let's play...

Besides that, you can't use apples as a standard of measurement. There is no set size. Between types of apple, the sizes vary greatly.

There are similar variations between feet sizes and elbows (cubits) amongst humans. But they historically used many of these as their standard measurement units. Some use them to this day, when doing some simple home repairs/improvements.

In physics, every unit of measurement has always associated a tolerance. If a deviation of 1 inch in a 100 feet suits your needs, then go on with it. There's no need to measure something to nanometers if one wants to measure the height of a skyscraper. But such precision would be needed when measuring molecules or wavelengths of light.

Apples are crude units of measurement, but for most Equestrian needs, they're precise enough, despite their varying sizes and shapes. If some pony needed to measure something more precisely, he would probably use some better measurement tool & unit than apple. Maybe the length of some standard horseshoe? ;)

If something is twenty apples high, think of how different it would be if you used a four inch high, or eight inch apple as your standard. Twenty apples each four inches high would measure about six and a half foot tall. Twenty apples measuring in at eight inches would be just over thirteen foot tall.

Well, if you use so much different apples (50% tolerance), then sure, such unit would be too crude. But on average, such different apples would be rather an exception than a rule. Statistically, most of them would be around 6 inches I guess. (I might be wrong, though, since I don't know how many inches are there in a typical apple. Here where I live, we use metric system.)

Edited by SasQ

Yeah page 1, the 8ft candy cane is the only thing in Equestria whose we know the height.

We have this, too.

img-2562920-1-full.png

Pretty much confirms Rarity on this: img-2562920-2-post-26142-0-28611400-1398

and Fluttershy on that:

img-2562920-3-post-23625-0-94193900-1398

I just fail to understand why Celestia has different sizes? 4'10" or 6'xx"?

I don't get the maths :derp:

Edited by Gary S.
  • Brohoof 1

Nice find. :)

That's cross multiplication I guess, but I don't get why they use the pixel.

So the episode Pinkie Pride confirms the theory that ponies height is approximately 3.5~4 ft.

Edited by Blobulle

img-2563002-1-my-little-pony-%D1%84%D1%8

Whoa..............Celestia........6ft.  Damn, that is pretty unexpecting, tbh.  However, I expected her to be a little taller, :D

lots 'o text

Equestria'a physical laws are far different from Earth. Take gravity, inertia and aerodynamics. A Pegasus of Rainbow Dash's size, with her wingspan, would NEVER be able to lift off of the ground on Earth. On Equestria she can fly at mach speed without her body being torn apart, while carrying four full grown ponies equal to her in size and weight. Wind resistance, what's that? Five times your normal weight, big deal! Forget about Rainbow for a moment. What about Bulk Biceps? If he was the size of an Earthly beagle, and had the same wingspan, his wings still would not budge him an inch off of the ground. Gravity and inertia clearly function in some strange and totally different way in Equestria. If they didn't, Twilight would have been instantly crushed to death when an anvil, a fully loaded hay cart, AND a piano fell on her in "Feeling Pinkie Keen". As for Pinkie, no physical laws apply at all!

Speaking of gravity. Orbital mechanics:

Equestria apparently does not move through the heavens. Celestia and Luna raise the sun and moon respectively. Equestria does not orbit their sun. Their moon does not orbit their planet.

Optics. Light absorption is clearly far different than on Earth. Pink blue and yellow ponies? Zap apples?  

"I’ve walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a madman."

- The Doctor

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
(edited)

I think the ponies in Equestria could be smaller. The things they built and use are pony sized. When Twilight goes between pony to human in Equestria Girls there seems to be a big height difference.

Hasbro2-superJumbo.jpg

Unless as humans they are 10 feet tall which is pretty gigantic.

An average high school girl at ages 16-17 would be about 5'4" so these ponies would make about 2 feet at most.

Edited by cidershield

Looked at a few things on Wikipedia (that invaluable compendium of trivia & drivel)

In orchards, apple trees are kept trimmed to the same height & it can vary 10' to 20'.  So, it's no good comparing AJ to the tree she's bucking.

Cellos vary widely in size + the bottom peg is adjustable.  No use comparing Octavia to her cello.

Violins also vary in size & they could be playing a viola (which is larger).  Banjos also vary in size.  Best guess would be about the size of a Shetland pony.  If you look at My Little Pony Tales, Megan is a little taller than her pony friends.  But, no telling how old Megan is.

(edited)

Does this explain it? Because I call that legit.

17.PNG

The whole numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) are in fact representing the imperial measurement of "feet" (or "foot"). Heck the imperial system is mentioned many times (or a few times) in the show that it's blatantly obvious that Equestria uses the imperial system, despite it being a fictional world.

The writers intentionally left in the imperial system, so I will let them go with that. It's much easier to know exactly how the writers intended the show to be understood without having to go through an extra learning curve of an unessentially, unnecessary fictional measurement system. It's just much easier for us viewers to just know that the fictional world of Equestria (including the neighbouring countries) uses the Imperial System.

Case closed. End of story.

Heck, my MLP IRL Portraits (in this thread) show the heights of the characters with extreme accuracy (with a little hic-cup on the earlier ones I've made).

Edited by Jonny Music