Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Journey of the Spark: A Fan-Animated Feature Film

FanOingo93

post-11547-0-50767600-1357715577_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone! My name is Eric Ridenour and I am the Writer, Director, and Producer behind an upcoming project related to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic set for release sometime near the Holiday season of 2014. That project's name is Journey of the Spark, a fanmade feature length animated film based off of the series created by Lauren Faust. This topic is for anyone curious to know more about the film's production and follow along with the amazing content that my team and I are creating.

But I'm fairly certain that there are a few of you who don't know what Journey of the Spark even is. Welp, that's why I'm here to talk about it!

Capture.JPG

So for those who don't know what Journey of the Spark is all about, let me give you the skinny. Journey of the Spark is a fan-animated feature film written, directed, and produced by me and is inspired by the first two seasons of the Friendship is Magic continuity. In the film, Twilight Sparkle (voiced by Meredith Sims) causes a rift between her friends that forces her to run away, feeling as though her friends can never forgive her.

During her self-exile however, Twilight learns that this bout of dissension and confusion between the girls has caused Discord (voiced by Reagan Murdock), the spirit of chaos and disharmony, to once again break free of his bonds, allowing him to plot the end of harmony for good and rule Equestria. Guilt-stricken for the events she has caused, Twilight agrees to a deal with Discord that will forever separate her from everyone she ever loved.

Now, as things begin to look grim, the rest of the Mane 6, including Princess Luna and Spike, must venture beyond the reaches of Equestria to find Twilight and rekindle their fractured friendship if they wish to restore the Elements of Harmony once again and save Equestria from the clutches of evil.

Journey of the Spark is an animated film with a much darker tone than that of the original series, presenting a dark and emotionally resonant story with more mature and adult themes that can be presented to children in a respectable manner. But even though the film is inspired by the first two seasons of the original series, it features its own seperate story not related to the Friendship is Magic canon. Not only that, its a musical! The film is set to feature eight original songs written by Brony musician Forest Rain and an original score written and composed by Nick Keeling and Michael Nicolosi.

For the cast, Journey of the Spark features a star-studded band of voice actors with credits such as the .MOV series, Epic Wub Time, Fighting is Magic, Friendship is Witchcraft, Children of the Night, and Double Rainboom.

But enough jibber-jabber! I bet you guys wanna see some actual material from the project, huh? Welp, below are a few video examples of what we're creating. Hopefully, these will give you guys a taste of what to expect from the film's story.

http://youtu.be/Iirick7NTfY

Storyboard Animatic - Scene #1

http://youtu.be/rUt6brPMQ-8

Promo #1 - Animation Test

But that's not all! Here's some amazing concept art and vectors done specifically for the project!

post-11547-0-81275400-1357717418_thumb.jpg
The Timberwolf Chase - Concept Art

post-11547-0-09102000-1357717576_thumb.jpg
Discord's Tower - Concept Art

post-11547-0-85245400-1357717830_thumb.jpg

Costume Design - Fluttershy

There's more where that came from, but sadly guys that's all the stuff I have for now that I can show without spoiling anything! If you guys wanna find out more info about the project or just simply wanna follow the production of the film, then feel free to leave your thoughts and comments here. If not, there's also my Production Blog on Tumblr!

To view the film and more promotional material, we also have a YouTube channel that you can subscribe to! If you guys are animators or artists in the community that would like to help with the production of the film, send me an E-Mail at officialsparkmovie@gmail.com and let me know what you'll be applying for. Thanks again everyone and I hope you guys are looking forward to Journey of the Spark in late 2014!

Edited by FanOingo93
  • Brohoof 12

I have honestly been looking forward to this since I saw the trailer from EQD, I hadn't heard anything about it for awhile so I was worried that it had been abandoned. I'm glad to see that's not true.

I would love and be glad to pay for this when it is completed. I've always wanted to see how farther the series could go with darker territory. But due to its age rating limitation, it has to stay fairly light. Nothing wrong with it, but I guess I'm curious to see how would be done. It will be awesome to see future updates on this project. :)

I have honestly been looking forward to this since I saw the trailer from EQD, I hadn't heard anything about it for awhile so I was worried that it had been abandoned. I'm glad to see that's not true.

Welp, you're in luck! I'm not planning on giving up on this film anytime soon! But in other news, a lot of progress has been going on lately! So we'll be releasing two promotional videos very soon, one detailing the behind-the-scenes making of a scene from the film and a fully-animated scene for all of you to enjoy! So stay tuned, I'll be posting them in here very soon!

• Brohoof 5

• 1 year later...

Dat necro

Anyways, I am also fairly interested in this project and will definitely give it a watch when it's done. Is Discord's Tower inspired by Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorerss of Time/Darkness/Sky?

• Brohoof 1

@@RubyVesper,@,

I don't think the OP will respond. Last I checked Journey of the Spark kind of went under the radar. Whether that means they've stopped or whether they're trying to avoid Hasbro C&D'ing the project, I don't know.

@@RubyVesper,@,

I don't think the OP will respond. Last I checked Journey of the Spark kind of went under the radar. Whether that means they've stopped or whether they're trying to avoid Hasbro C&D'ing the project, I don't know.

Ah okay well what ever the reason their stuff was just amazing to watch :)

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

So, surprised I've never seen a thread made for Journey of the Spark, an in-progress fan made movie for FIM. Well, it looks pretty good and does a better job at emulating the show than whatever the heck Double Rainboom was trying to do.

A 10 minute preview was recently posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrBH918uLSI

So, discuss away!

• Brohoof 4

The song is fantastic and the animation wonderful!

I can't wait to see the final product!

In about 3:40,just wondering why fluttershy don't appear.

Edited by Aileron

Hey there , I've merged your thread with an already existing one on this topic. Just a heads up.

• Brohoof 1

Approval!

Between this and the Poniverse backed Last Stand of Harmony, fan project anticipation is through the roof for me. That song was well done, and the Mane Six voice sound pretty good.  Of course Discord and Chrysalis will probably steal the show. :D