Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Total War thread

Lady Rarity Pony

Trying out an all factions mod for ETW!

I don't normally play mods but I'll tell you guys if this one is any good! :D

If it's the one I'm thinking of (Empire: Total Factions), then be careful. Monarchies give your lower class a LOT more unrest.

Anyway, Total War thread, woohoo!

I've played everything from Rome onward, except for Napoleon because Steam is being a bitch.

If you're gonna play Empire, I suggest the excellent Darthmod: Ultimate Commander. It makes the AI somewhat intelligent, almost. Among other features.

On a side note, Prussia will get torn apart if you're playing as them.

As for the howitzer problem, did any of your other units get bigger? Have you changed anything in the preferences file?

Did it add extra guns?

Anypony else here playing Shogun2?

I play it on Medium with Ikko-Ikki DLC, extended Campaign and Real Divide Mod. I'm quite good in the beginning, but after occupying about 10 cities I get money problems and almost everyone declares war to me. Also I don't build up a navy and enemy troops land in my cities. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

Anypony has some advice how I can play sucessfully?

Well, as your territories increase, so does your administration cost. Try switching back and forth between taxing your populace to the maximum amount and taxing them normally every other turn. Also, if you're really desperate, and don't mind pissing every other clan off, switch to Christianity. You get acces to cheaper, quicker to recruit gunpowder units, and you can park trade ships on trade nodes without ever worrying about getting attacked. And general trade with the Nanban that can't be cut off.

Anyway, I think I've heard about the 'everyone declaring war on you' problem. It's called a realm divide, and it happens when you grow too large and the other clans get scared.

• Brohoof 1

If it's the one I'm thinking of (Empire: Total Factions), then be careful. Monarchies give your lower class a LOT more unrest.

Anyway, Total War thread, woohoo!

I've played everything from Rome onward, except for Napoleon because Steam is being a bitch.

If you're gonna play Empire, I suggest the excellent Darthmod: Ultimate Commander. It makes the AI somewhat intelligent, almost. Among other features.

On a side note, Prussia will get torn apart if you're playing as them.

As for the howitzer problem, did any of your other units get bigger? Have you changed anything in the preferences file?

Did it add extra guns?

Well, as your territories increase, so does your administration cost. Try switching back and forth between taxing your populace to the maximum amount and taxing them normally every other turn. Also, if you're really desperate, and don't mind pissing every other clan off, switch to Christianity. You get acces to cheaper, quicker to recruit gunpowder units, and you can park trade ships on trade nodes without ever worrying about getting attacked. And general trade with the Nanban that can't be cut off.

Anyway, I think I've heard about the 'everyone declaring war on you' problem. It's called a realm divide, and it happens when you grow too large and the other clans get scared.

Now I've won already a few times on Medium. The trick for me was to build a good economy and keep allys by paying them money and marriage.

On the Fall of the Samurai DLC I've managed to build a stable Empire but nevertheless the time limit is running out and I have no chance to get the needed territories to soon(That's one downside for me because I don't like to rush in strategy games)

And I've recently played Empire which I consider a lot easier on normal.

Now I've won already a few times on Medium. The trick for me was to build a good economy and keep allys by paying them money and marriage.

On the Fall of the Samurai DLC I've managed to build a stable Empire but nevertheless the time limit is running out and I have no chance to get the needed territories to soon(That's one downside for me because I don't like to rush in strategy games)

And I've recently played Empire which I consider a lot easier on normal.

Yeah, the Empire AI is... umm... special.

I always had the exact opposite problem in Empire. I would play Long Campaign, grab all the territories by 1740, and then sit around going "what now?"

Also, for anyone who's interested, I'm going to be playing a Darthmod campaign as Persia, if anyone wants to hear how it goes.

• 6 months later...

For the moment I have only played Rome and Medieval 2. (including the extensions)

My personal favorite was Medieval 2 followed by Rome: Barbarian invasion.

The campaigns that I've won are Denmark, England, Portugal, Scotland and Spain (m2tw short).

Apachean Tribes, Chichimec Tribes and New Spain (m2tw: Americas short).

Ireland, Norway and Wales (m2tw: Britannia short).

Antioch, Egypt, Kingdom of Jerusalem and the Turks (m2tw: Crusades short).

Denmark, Lithuania, Norway and Novgorod (m2tw: Teutonic short).

Brutti, Greek and Scippio (rtw short)

The Franks, Huns and Saxons (rtw: Barbarian Invasion short).

I just don't see the point of world domination that's why I always play short Campaigns.

• 1 year later...

My favorite Total War is and always will be Medieval 2 Total War. It just has that charm that none of the others have. Please, CA - make a Medieval 3!

• 4 months later...

I managed to get Rome total war and 2 expansions from a charity shop for 20p. I'm pretty happy with that deal :)

It's a pretty good game, though being able to play naval battles and a more consistently able AI (as in, one that doesn't just stand around doing nothing in one battle, then totally own me in the next one) would be nice.

I am a big Empire Total War player, Russia, Ottoman Empire, Sweden, France and Britain are my favourite factions to play, it was with Russian I captured 101 regions, and with the Ottoman Empire I actually captured all of Europe, the thing I love about this game is the naval battles, I have gotten good with fifth rate frigates, I was able to paralyse ships of the line with fifth rate frigates.

• Brohoof 1

I am a big Empire Total War player, Russia, Ottoman Empire, Sweden, France and Britain are my favourite factions to play, it was with Russian I captured 101 regions, and with the Ottoman Empire I actually captured all of Europe, the thing I love about this game is the naval battles, I have gotten good with fifth rate frigates, I was able to paralyse ships of the line with fifth rate frigates.

I've put 170 hours into ETW since I got it in August. My favorite faction to play with is Prussia, which I conquered the entire world with in 40 years on Darthmod (I know, I'm awesome B) )

I just started a Westphalia world domination campaign, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm awful at naval battles, cannot even beat the CPU. It's truly disgraceful, I know  :(

But I'm a solid online land battle player. I use Britain mostly, since I'm most familiar with their units in the game. Hit me up if you want to play sometime. My steam name is the same as on here