Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

One pony seems to be left out of 'love and tolerate'

Foxxy Tails

Ditzy doo. Poor Ditzy Doo. How would you like it if, just because someone took a bad picture of you, everyone treated you like an idiot and called you names so much that even your friends started to do it (referring to hasbro making it canon)? Nopony should have that done to them.

One eye muscle twitch and everyone started treating her horribly. One mistake, or even worse if it was a joke, from the animators completely ruined Ditzy's life. She doesn't deserve that. :(

I joined this forum just to say that; and I for one will never call her 'derpy'. Is there anyone here who is with me, that can get past their fanfics and fanon to give Ditzy Doo the same kindness all the other ponies get? The same kindness she deserves and has been denied? Will anyone join me in shunning this heartless and cruel rumor turned fact and treat Ditzy the way she should be treated?

Edited by Foxxy Tails
  • Brohoof 1

I consider "Ditzy" and "Derpy" to be synonymous, so I don't consider the latter to be more offensive.

I don't really see how everyone's treating Ditzy/Derpy unkindly, Mister Tails, perhaps you could elaborate?

Before I made my point, please take a glance at these characters

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did anyone ever feels insulted when peter made a silly act? Did anyone ever feels violated when patrick goes on his blank-faced rampage of idiocy?

It's an child show. There's always a need for a less-bright characters to throw curve ball for the jokes. Those guys on Hasbro never intended Derpy's act and names to insult all those who suffers any kind of mental disabilities. She was just a background character, given a canon name and a few dialogue because of her sheer popularity in the fanbase

Now they gave us what we want, and we smack their flanks just because her silliness is "cruel and heartless". Posted Image

For me, she will always be Derpy "Ditzy Doo". And I love her silliness because she made me laugh, not because I like to laugh at those who suffer mental disabilities

• Brohoof 5

Because of the derpy eyes an animator gave her for only a few frames, everyone made her out to be stupid. And now to top it off, it's become canon. I feel so bad for Ditzy, if it weren't for that one shot of her, she would be getting treated like any other pony. But instead she is the village idiot. It just seems so heartless to do that; treat someone like an idiot just because you saw a bad picture of them.

If anything Derpy is more endearing due to her qualities and quirks, If she hadn't become cross-eyed she would just be another background character. Seriously I have encountered nothing but love towards her in this community.

• Brohoof 1

People made fun of Twilight's dorkiness and her psycho-like appearance in "Lesson Zero", some even think she got Asperger Syndrome

But is there anyone with the real asperger syndrome feels insulted by Twilight? Nay

It's just your own assumption about her. You and people like you are the only one who feels insulted, not everyone else

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Did anyone ever feels insulted when peter made a silly act? Did anyone ever feels violated when patrick goes on his blank-faced rampage of idiocy?

The difference is, those characters were always...less than bright. But with Ditzy, she used to be normal until people found that split second of derpy eyes. Then they started calling a perfectly normal pony 'derpy' and treated her like an idiot.

Also, I think you are very clearly missing the point of this. This has nothing to do with mental disabilities, this has to do with the fans heartlessly teasing poor Ditzy just because of one picture. How can you love and tolerate when you make fun of a pony and call them names just because they had a bad picture of them taken?

Anyway, to SrFrog, that is true, and she is adorable, AND I'm glad she is getting airtime. But I just can't feel good with the way she has been treated. But what about that one blue pony that lost his nose, had one eye, and a line going across his head, making him resemble a pokeball or Portal GlaDOS core? He looked far worse than Ditzy and probably had as much airtime as the derpy eyes. But for some reason it was poor Ditzy that was teased and called names

People made fun of Twilight's dorkiness and her psycho-like appearance in "Lesson Zero", some even think she got Asperger Syndrome

But is there anyone with the real asperger syndrome feels insulted by Twilight? Nay

It's just your own assumption about her. You and people like you are the only one who feels insulted, not everyone else

If you honestly think this is about being mentally handicapped, please leave until you actually understand the topic. And in response, who got teased more? Twilights full episode of being insane or a split second of derpy eyes? Is Twilight's character going to change over that episode? I highly doubt it.

And I can say the same to you. "You and people like you are the only ones who think teasing someone just because of a bad picture is ok"

Edited by Foxxy Tails

I just can't feel good with the way she has been treated. But what about that one blue pony that lost his nose, had one eye, and a line going across his head, making him resemble a pokeball or Portal GlaDOS core? He looked far worse than Ditzy and probably had as much airtime as the derpy eyes. But for some reason it was poor Ditzy that was teased and called names

Perhaps it is because it would be to easy dismiss the cyclops pony as a simple animation error, but with Ditzy/Derpy it was difficult to figure out if she was a simple animation error or not. I might not undertand your position on this topic very well but I respect your opinion non the less

Edited by SrFrog

Perhaps it is because it would be to easy dismiss the cyclops pony as a simple animation error, but with Ditzy/Derpy it was difficult to figure out if she was a simple animation error or not. I might not undertand your position on this topic very well but I respect your opinion non the less

I don't think it was an animation error, but to continue off my analogy in the first post, the animator would have been the one to start a rumor about Ditzy that made everyone else think she is an idiot. Surely there shouldn't have been room for rumors and teasing in the 'love and tolerate' community

Sorry if I don't quote your post correctly, my browser seems to go nuts right now

she used to be normal until people found that split second of derpy eyes. Then they started calling a perfectly normal pony 'derpy' and treated her like an idiot.

She never actually made any normal appearance before that. She was a background characters, meant to be used in various scenes without any roles, nothing more.

How can you love and tolerate when you make fun of a pony and call them names just because they had a bad picture of them taken?

We're not making fun of her. We all had a well spirited laugh at her silliness, just like when Fluttershy's wings refused to open in Dragonshy, we never made fun of her eyes or her less-than-bright personality. Just because we got tons fanarts about her crashing to stuff while being wall-eyed doesn't mean we never loved her. I'm pretty sure most of people will agree that her wall-eyed-ness didn't made her retarded, it made her unique and lovable

• Brohoof 4

The animator would have been the one to start a rumor about Ditzy that made everyone else think she is an idiot. Surely there shouldn't have been room for rumors and teasing in the 'love and tolerate' community

To be fair Ditzy wasn't even supposed to be in that first episode. Secondly a thread in 4chan was the first to point out Ditzy and I know 4chan can be a really messed up place at times but we all know she's got a heart of gold. I'll just leave it at that, and remember don't judge to harshly on others.

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure most of people will agree that her wall-eyed-ness didn't made her retarded, it made her unique and lovable

This. She's a unique pony, if she never had her "problem" then she probably would've just stayed a background character. I don't think Derpy means any wrong, as you can see in "The Last Roundup," she tried very hard to help out, but things just didn't go her way, and she ended up making a fool of herself. I think this relates to almost all of us, we have our good days and we have our bad days, and sometimes when we try to help, we try just a bit too hard.

With fanart and that, come on, fans are going to do whatever they want, that's the true magic of enjoying a TV show. We could just as easily do the same with Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, etc, but Derpy just makes it funnier, and even if it seems cruel, I don't think there's any intetion on making Derpy look stupid.

I could go on, but I think I made my point clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with her, her personality and looks makes her just as adorable as any other character, main or not. There's my 2 cents.

EDIT: Also to me, Derpy and Ditzy can be used interchangably.

Edited by Kapi
  • Brohoof 2

To be fair Ditzy wasn't even supposed to be in that first episode. Secondly a thread in 4chan was the first to point out Ditzy and I know 4chan can be a really messed up place at times but we all know she's got a heart of gold. I'll just leave it at that, and remember don't judge to harshly on others.

Exactly. Ditzy is great and probably my favorite pony. The mane six, I think, were meant to encompass such a range of personalities, that everyone watching could connect, with minor characters filling in the blanks. Ditzy is definitely my...personification pony I guess I can call it.

And weyland, I don't know if 'a background characters' was bad grammar or an ingenius way of putting it.

• Brohoof 1

Nah. She's not by any means retarded or any other bad stuff. She's just clutzy because she got a problem with her depth-perception, that's why she knocks into so many things, but she's not dimwit as any other might suggest she is.

And as far as I know clumsiness is not a bad thing

LOLWUT?

LOLWUUUUUT?

You do realize we are speaking about a cartoon pony here? A CARTOON GREY AND YELLOW PEGASUS PONY, RIGHT???

SHE'S NOT REAL!

I dunno if you really mean what you are saying, but I hope not, not only she's not real, so it wouldn't matter if we made fun of her, but she WASN'T a character before we named her and made her into one.

THERE IS NO DITZY DOO, nor is there any form of derpy before they started giving her airtime. There only was a simple background character that was never meant to be. And Ditzy Doo wasn't even her name.

I assume you are joking Foxxy

• Brohoof 1

Children jokes =/= offensive.

Lolwat.

I may be a mega brony, but you may be taking this a LITTLE too far.

They are cartoon characters. They aren' real. They feel what we tell them to feel.

Edited by Rose

I agree with the couple posts above mine.

Besides, we have zero idea how Derpy is treated by the other ponies in Ponyville. She's in a lot of background scenes so it appears she's liked enough to be invited to all the town's functions. The only negative interaction we've seen is her with Rainbow Dash and Dash was more annoyed than full out angry.

• Brohoof 1