Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Hasbro kill bronydom?

khaine21x3

Hasbry and the death of bronies  

88 users have voted

1. 1. Will Hasbro kill the Bronydom?

• Yes
    • No

First they came for the youtube episodes but nopony cared as most people watch MLP on The HuB

Then they came for the fan made content on youtube but nopony cared because they assume new fan content will always be created

Then they came for the fanmade games with C&D letters but nopony cared as most of them are not gamers.

Then they finally pulled the plug on my little pony: friendship is magic

• Brohoof 5

I doubt it, I think they'll lose a lot of money in the process of cancelling the entire series, so why would they pull the plug? One way they could decrease the amount of fans is if they completely butcher the show and its characters.

• Brohoof 2

The Youtube takedowns were a result of Youtube acting on copyright grounds, alone. Hasbro had nothing to do with it. Youtube recently updated their official content ID scanner to include everything related to ponies, and that's why things have suddenly been vanishing left and right.

As for Fighting is Magic, yes, they did send a cease and desist, but make sure you're aware of the full situation, folks, before judgements are made.

Hasbro isn't killing the fandom. They're as lenient as they always were, and they have no reason to stop.

• Brohoof 23

No they're not killing the fandom.

What would make you think that? They're still popping out good episodes of FiM, right? 

Exactly, so no big deal.

I know I was hyped for FiM too but it's gone and it's probably going to come back so don't go around over-reacting. :/

Edited by ~Edd~
  • Brohoof 1

Hasbro is a corporation, and corporations are motivated by money.

And so far, the Bronydom has been making money for Hasbro. They may be doing things to piss us off, what with Derpy's alteration, Twilacorn, and the cease-and-desist thing with Fighting is Magic, but to kill off the bronydom outright isn't something that Hasbro would logically pursue. 

• Brohoof 5

Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to press the boot on us, recently. From what I've read this isn't the first brony production to be kibosh'd by Hasbro. But we're crafty, and if they take down one of the fandom's projects, two more will pop up in it's place.

One of our strengths as a community is that we are both an extremely unified, yet at the same time decentralized fandom. We are united in our love of MLP, but we act overall in a very spread-out manner. We're just too copious and diverse for Hasbro to ever hope to control. They can try, but they'll fail. Our size is one of our biggest strengths.

People have long complained that the copyright system in the US is broken, and I believe the brony community is going to be at the forefront of copyright reform.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 5

You do know the origins of the whole "First they came" spiel, right? Exhibition of Godwin's Law is ill-used anywhere during a discussion, but starting a thread with an example of it is even worse.

I need to address a couple of these though, because the facts aren't being represented. I won't bother with the first one, because it's really, really stupid to be shocked at Hasbro removing what is literally pirated content from a public website, and anyone with an IQ over 80 already knew that.

Then they came for the fan made content on youtube but nopony cared because they assume new fan content will always be created

No, they didn't. The fan-made content on YT was simply caught under Google's content filtering for using video from the show. Simply filing a claim on YouTube will bring the content back if it is indeed a derivative work and not an actual episode of the show. A Hasbro rep said this in a statement a while ago, it was linked here on another thread, but for the life of me, I can't find it anywhere, but it's out there, and I'll re-post it if/when I find it.

Then they came for the fanmade games with C&D letters but nopony cared as most of them are not gamers.

Trademark is trademark. It sucks, but that's just the way it is, and Hasbro responded as just about any other company would. Even Mane 6 admitted that Hasbro isn't to blame.

• Brohoof 8

Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to press the boot on us, recently. From what I've read this isn't the first brony production to be kibosh'd by Hasbro. But we're crafty, and if they take down one of the fandom's projects, two more will pop up in it's place.

One of our strengths as a community is that we are both an extremely unified, yet at the same time decentralized fandom. We are united in our love of MLP, but we act overall in a very spread-out manner. We're just too copious and diverse for Hasbro to ever hope to control. They can try, but they'll fail. Our size is one of our biggest strengths.

People have long complained that the copyright system in the US is broken, and I believe the brony community is going to be at the forefront of copyright reform.

Agreed with every point there. The Australian copyright and trademark system is also broken as well due to the laws being changed when the US-AUS Free Trade Agreement came into play in 2001. Fans here are sometimes worried sick (me included) when importing items such as custom made plushies or even parallel imported pony content (e.g. Season 1 DVD's from the US) into the country as customs may seize them, even if it's for personal use. 

As I mentioned before, the copyright system and the traditional business model needs to be either overhauled or thrown in the bin and rewritten from scratch, and the Fighting is Magic shut down may be the start of the revolution to get the reform bandwagon moving.

• Brohoof 1

I'll keep this short and sweet.  Hasbro couldn't kill the bronydom if they tried.  I think their challenge stems from the lack of successful business models of popular girls' toys with a broad appeal to older consumers.  Instead of trying to be innovative and serve both markets, their mistake is allowing the Brony demographic to languish. 

• Brohoof 1

I understand the UK system is a bit more lenient, recently when Apple challened Samsung they lost and had to state on their website regarding the matter.  Can anyone answer the question; when Google's copyright system takes down videos, does this work internationally or just where MLP is syndicated on TV?  Youtube is pretty much the only place to view it here.

I understand the UK system is a bit more lenient, recently when Apple challened Samsung they lost and had to state on their website regarding the matter.  Can anyone answer the question; when Google's copyright system takes down videos, does this work internationally or just where MLP is syndicated on TV?  Youtube is pretty much the only place to view it here.

There are lots of streaming sites servers based on China/Russia/South America/Africa that you can view MLP on, US copyright laws don't apply yo those countries so they can't take it down if the corporation and their servers are based on those countries.

Nope. I don't think they'd kill the bronydom. 

I mean, the writers even appreciate the bronies, so I don't think they'd let Hasbro cancel it in the first place. The show wouldn't have as much viewers, and they've known bronies for years. Killing the bronydom now just wouldn't make sense. I say just don't worry about it. If Hasbro DOES try to do so, then we'll talk about it. But as for now, they haven't done anything. We'll worry about it if it happens, which hopefully it won't. ;)

• Brohoof 1

The Fighting is Magic thing to already seems have cooled down to a slow ember just overnight, and everyone is already going about the smart of getting things done, so I don't think we're in danger of a fandom collapse here. 

Besides, if the Highlander fanbase can survive, so can we. 

No, watch Ashens sometime, it's even worse over there. No being bale to so much as show a movie trailer has become one of his running gags. 

Edited by Shoboni

The Youtube takedowns were a result of Youtube acting on copyright grounds, alone. Hasbro had nothing to do with it. Youtube recently updated their official content ID scanner to include everything related to ponies, and that's why things have suddenly been vanishing left and right.

As for Fighting is Magic, yes, they did send a cease and desist, but make sure you're aware of the full situation, folks, before judgements are made.

Hasbro isn't killing the fandom. They're as lenient as they always were, and they have no reason to stop.

Personally, I want to believe that, and really gave Hasbro the benefit of the doubt, but they do seem hell bent on killing the fandom off even though we earn them money.

Fighting Is Magic was a huge blow, however, many of us do remember that even the FiM crew said they were prepared for this because they were working with licensed characters.  It would be the same, yet have a swifter outcome, if they did it with Disney characters.  I can say with 100% assurance, Disney would have come after them like a 10 ton truck with a jet engine in the back if the Fighting Is Magic crew used Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, and others in a fighting game without Disney's sole permission. 

One thing that concerns me is the talk of "Change" when it comes to S4, the release of a MLPFIM movie, and the "teen" MLP thing.  Starting to think they are purposefully "shifting" the brony community away from Friendship Is Magic, using nasty methods of core character alterations such as Twilight's "Princess Ascension."  The one thing Hasbro didn't count on was the resiliency of the DHX crew and their dedication to the fans.  Without that great group of writers, animators, musicians, and not to mention VAs, the show would have been dead before S1 barely finished.

Truly hope that we, the true bronies, can come together in the light of these obstacles, persevering on in the face of adversity. 

I missed this post. Do you have that link with the statement from the Hasbro rep about the YouTube takedowns and the whole "if you file a dispute claim, your fan work will go back up" bit? I can't find it anywhere.

Edited by DusK

I missed this post. Do you have that link with the statement from the Hasbro rep about the YouTube takedowns and the whole "if you file a dispute claim, your fan work will go back up" bit? I can't find it anywhere.

Nope. Hadn't ever even heard of such a statement before you mentioned it, so I clearly missed that post, wherever it is, entirely.

I hardly doubt Hasbro is trying to kill bronydom, they're simply protecting their IP. I'm sure if Mane6 had licensed the rights in the first place (or even if they license the rights now if possible), Hasbro will allow the project to continue on. Friendship is Witchcraft was pulled from YouTube, as their copyright detection system is automated now, but FiW is protected under parody laws, so they're safe.

As for the show, I personally believe the notion of it dying off is comical. Has it changed from Season 1? Yes, but not very. Will it be different in Season 4? Probably not much. Once a group of writers has been working with a show for a long enough period of time, they start to get into a groove with how the characters interact. I seriously doubt we'll see too much of a change for the Mane Six, so I'm fairly certain Season 4 will be just as good the last three.

• Brohoof 3

Nothing that Hasbro can do will destroy the fandom.

True, some people may go out, but it will still go on. Even if the show ends. Even if the replace ever single person working on it.

I've loved pony for a while now, and I didn't love it because of Fighting is Magic, and I can still love it without it.

• Brohoof 2

I do understand the reasons behind some of the YouTube video takedowns, but only some of them. What I'm actually worried about is the way Hasbro has recently targeted fan-made games. First it was My Little Pony Online and now Fighting is Magic (don't know if any others have been targeted like Welcome to Ponyville). It's like Hasbro's saying "Quit making your own free games and buy our official 55 € games." (again, I don't know if there are any official MLP games for consoles or PC).

As for the show... I don't think Hasbro's destroying bronydom via that. No, the show is just too awesome to do that even though some recent things (you know exactly what I'm talking about) have caused quite a ruckus in the fandom. Furthermore, because the show IS awesome, it would be a foolish move if Hasbro decided to pull the plug, but I don't think Hasbro's that dumb. ... I actually think they plan to continue this as long as they can.

So in short... I don't think Hasbro's killing bronydom in any big way.

Edited by Koori

Hasbro won't kill the fandom..

The youtube videos, the episodes, the fan made videos are taken down because of copyright issues.. that's just how it is, we can't really say something against it, neither can they look away when people are breaking copyrights, we don't like it, but what can we really do. They said it was an automatic stuff, i can't really remember it..

Only thing i don't really like is that they stopped the production of "fighting is magic". :(

Also, as long as the writers and the animators keep up the good work, and as long as Hasbro is making money of us -_- .. They would never just "pull the plug", like you put it.

I for one, would like too see the show itself and hasbro, being separated... but then again, they wouldn't have all that money behind their backs.. It's just fine as it is, i won't stop being a fan of the show.. no matter what they do, well as long as they don't change the show dramatically, like putting humans there and change their forms to the older generations.. As long as the show keeps being awesome, the fandom will still be there.. They will probably keep making the show as long as the fandom exists. So, it would probably have to be us that ruin it.. that's probably never going to happen either..

Just believe in the creators of the show, believe in the writers, believe in the fandom and most importantly keep an eye out for hasbro.. Lol.

• Brohoof 1

I think them screwing up the Twilight alicorn situation (I know the episode hasn't aired yet but it reasonable to say it is a 50/50 shot) or some other stupid short sighted decision to intervene in the show for a quick cash out is more likely to kill bronydom than this. Hasbro has for the most part allowed fan works to thrive, the youtube videos being taken down is the result of youtube's software which removes videos which violate any copywrite as a precaution so they don't get sued. The fanmade games being taken down does make me scratch my head though people have said it has to do with trademark which is slightly different from copywrite so I am a little confused on that matter. I am not saying Hasbro has done this out of the goodness of their hearts, they are allowing fanworks for the most part because they know it is good for business because it is free advertizing I have heard a lot of people get into the show because they saw fanworks of the show got curious and started watching it.

Yes, they will stab every brony to death while they sleep, thus ending the fandom. The whole purpose of the show was creating a fandom that the government then later could eliminate. 

Also, if you look closely on the My Little Pony logo and look on the P and the O, there is a pentagram inside. 

• Brohoof 1

I dunno. I don't think they 'Will' but if anyone is going to do it...Its probably going to be them.

I am sure they don't want too, but right now they are getting to a good start, the whole fighting is magic thing, Twilight an alicorn, removing Derpy...

First they came for the youtube episodes but nopony cared as most people watch MLP on The HuB

I watch them on youtube and Bronystate plz. And that was fully copyrighting.

Nopony cared about FiW? 

Anyway, that was copyrighting too.

NOPONY CARED ABOUT FIGHTING IS MAGIC?

Copyrights again. And most of us are gamers anyway.

Then they finally pulled the plug on my little pony: friendship is magic

Well new episode is up today so i'm gonna say no to that

If they lose the bronies they'll lose a lot of money, so they won't end it.

Edited by Shift

I do understand the reasons behind some of the YouTube video takedowns, but only some of them. What I'm actually worried about is the way 

Again, as others have said, Hasbro didn't take the you-tube videos down, it was Google's faulty content ID system. The same thing as happened to other abridged series. 

I'm having flashbacks of Tommy Wiseu's crusade against people reviewing "The Room" and well all know how that ended.