Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So what does it mean to be a brony?

Pixel Mouse

To some people, it's art and music.

To others it's role playing.

Mostly it's being a fan of the show generaly.

Is it technical? Do you have to be over the shows target age to be a brony?

Is essence, what is a brony. For me it's all of these things, art and music coming in first.

How did you become a brony? I found myself running in circles and My Little Pony was color in a gray world.

Is being a brony a label you proudly wear? Or do you save this secrect side of yourself for you and Internet?

What does being a brony really mean to you?

Discuss.

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

• Brohoof 1

I classify bronies to be 12+. To be a brony, you must like the show as a whole. 

I became a brony back in September when scrambling through some youtube clips. I started by watching small clips of MLPFIM. I then started watching scenes, then the day came when I watched my first episode and liked it. 

Being a brony, is understanding and (at least slightly) acting on the morals taught by the show. Watching the show in itself, is acting on what it teaches. (love and tolerance, and you're tolerating the fact that the show is for little girls but still has good qualities) Some fans may not be as focused on morals and themes, and instead prefer to use bronydom as something for inspiration for art. Some others (like me) have bronydom in them as their, community, if that makes sense. What I mean by that last part is hanging around on forums likie this one, going to cons, showing others the show (I don't like the term converting. Converting makes it sound like we're fucking missionaries trying to change others's life styles) Some people's bronydom is what keeps them from getting bored throughout the day 
(games, watching parodies and what not) Some people even are bronies for a"job" as in YOUTUBE MONAYYS. Still, best job ever.

Personally for me, being a brony is what:

Keeps me from going insane.

Taught me important morales in life.

And gives me somewhere to (hopefully) fit in somewhere in the world. (forums and the online community)

If I were to regain the focus I had at the beginning of the post here, I could go on for hours here explaining everything involving being a brony, but... no.

• Brohoof 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brony,_Łódź_Voivodeship

On topic. I believe it as simply an adopted term for fanboys/girls(bro?) of the series/genre.

Like how some gamers refer to each other by game-given nicknames like Tenno or Hero.

I'd just say... 'anyone who wants to be a brony can be a brony, regardless'.

I don't particularly hide this side, though, I understand and empathize as to why some would.

Being a brony, as far as I'm concerned, is just being a supporter/fan/idealist/etc of MLP as a concept.

It's not something given to people for being special or deficient. (well, it might be, though not by me)

Someone who likes the show.

Simple as that,

there's difference between bronies, there's some that people don't like, and some that are more known than others, but we're all bronies alike x3

• Brohoof 1

To me, a brony is just someone who likes Friendship is Magic and/or being part of the fandom, like me. I think it's obvious the gender or age doesn't matter, a brony can be a 11 years old girl (like a cousin) or a 20 years old guy.

• Brohoof 1

Most people say it's about age.

Wrong.

Most people say it's about dedication and telling everyone about it.

Also wrong.

In my eyes a brony is just a person that watches My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Age doesn't matter, nor does gender.

If someone watches the show, and considers themself to be a brony.

Then they're a brony. Simple as that.

Edited by ~Edd~
  • Brohoof 8

The above posters have covered it. A brony is anyone who is a fan of MLP:FIM who isn't the show's original demograhic.

I find this interesting because in society a good show is universally appreciated despite the baggage that a show's predecessor brought. Not many shows would inspire the creative output that this fandom has produced. Now I've done some recent travels around the world and this fandom appears to be found in more affluent, modern societies, so I'm not sure how universal the show's appeal is.

Not sure how long it'll last, but its here now and I'm enjoying it while its still a friendly and interesting community.

Do I keep it a secret? If I truely like something I don't hide it from other people (I don't shove it down their throats either). While my friends might think it's a bit weird, I think they understand it's the genuine me.

• Brohoof 1

Wrong.

Also wrong.

In my eyes a brony is just a person that watches My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I agree with this so much. You don't even need to participate in the fandom, or collect toys, or anything to be a brony. If you watch the show, and enjoy it. You can can yourself a brony, and if you call yourself a brony, you are a brony.

• Brohoof 1

Wrong.

Also wrong.

I agree with you completely.

For me a brony is someone who like "My little Pony Freindship is Magic".

What you do in the fandom is yours alone. If you want to write, fine. If you want to draw, fine. If you just want to watch the show, fine.

A brony is someone who likes the show considers themselves one.

What you do with that said title you give yourself is yours alone to decide.

If you consider yourself a brony, then you are one.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

I think that being a brony means taking the lessons taught on the show, and applying them in real life. Society these days take friendship for granted and forget what friendship is all about (in my experiences, if someone loses a friend, they don't care because they can just get a new friend) when bronies can create lasting friendships, because we remember the lessons we were taught again. Also i believe that being a brony means accepting others for who they are not what they are. 

• 3 weeks later...

To be a true brony? well that's easy loving the show end of story...

It's not about doing what I do, getting tattoos, playing MLP music from the show and fan made, going to MLP forums, or watching all the seasons 13times in a row working on a 14th, buying everything that is MLP:FIM. No I do all those things because I'm in love with MLP and I want to own everything of MLP.

But to be a Brony is just loving the show! all the other things are just there.. and if any pony says you have to do anything other then just love the show... well then hit them upside the head....

• Brohoof 1

To be a true brony? well that's easy loving the show end of story...

It's not about doing what I do, getting tattoos, playing MLP music from the show and fan made, going to MLP forums, or watching all the seasons 13times in a row working on a 14th, buying everything that is MLP:FIM. No I do all those things because I'm in love with MLP and I want to own everything of MLP.

But to be a Brony is just loving the show! all the other things are just there.. and if any pony says you have to do anything other then just love the show... well then hit them upside the head....

That was well said Celestia! :) I agree with this. To be a brony is simply loving the show, end of story. All bronies may not be as into  the show as others, but at the end of the day we all are just part of a fandom that likes a cute, fun show filled with morals/lessons.

For some reason I'm laughing really hard at the last part...just hit 'em upside the head!  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

I'm starting this thread because I really wanted to strike up meaningful conversation.  I want to hear from you guys about what it means to you to be a Brony.  I know what the term Brony means, but what I want fro this thread is know what it means to you.

I feel that there is more to being a Brony than just being a fan of the show, though that is a part of it.  I'm still fairly new to the herd so I thought this would be a nice way to get a better understanding of things.

• Brohoof 2

Well, it is what you said being a fan of the show but furthermore being a brony means that you are opposed to gender stereotypes. Being a brony means a lot to me. I can't really describe it, it's like many other things it has influences on my life.

But in the end, being a brony means you're a part of a loving and an open fandom. Bronies, will always have your back.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 3

Being a brony to me first and foremost is being a fan of the show Friendship Is Magic: followed by the great stuff within the fandom such as making new friends and the creative remixes and all the rest of it.

I think being a brony and being part of the brony fandom are obviously connected but not the same thing myself

(Not sure I worded this very well xD)

Edited by Asherdangerdash
  • Brohoof 1

For me being a brony means being accepting of others. There are way too many angry judgmental people in this world. It's nice to be part of a fandom where everybody is friendly. 

Well, being a brony firstly means being a fan of My Little Pony, but you know what I mean.

Edited by Mikami
  • Brohoof 1

I have asked myself this question many times, the best I can come up with, and what others may have all ready quoted, what being a brony means to me is a new way of bringing people closer together, there is yet no animosity no matter what persuasion. It is wonderful that this show has brought people, from around the world, with various talents, backgrounds, national origin, gender, age, and profession, plus to share their creativity and talents to such a large audience is amazing, but to me this fandom has done what no other fandom I have been in has never done before, it made us better people. Now, I am part of a positive culture of strength and sensitivity, it does not matter who you were, as long as you can unfurl your true feelings for the show, the ponies and the fandom, and not worry about scorn and compliance, then being a brony means so much more that just watching a magical show of colourful ponies, it is about showing our true colours, and encourage us to find the magic, our wings as it were, maybe even a real Equestria is wish it to be real.

Being a Brony means being a fan of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  That's all, really.

I've been in this fandom long enough to know that we're not all saints.  But we're also not all jerks.  There are some very positive aspects, like community building, friends made, and the wellspring of creativity that exists here. At the same time, though, I've met plenty of people who are also judgmental pricks.  That's not a problem with the fandom, that's something that's going to happen when you gather any large group of people.  I've seen plenty of Bronies say and do inappropriate things.

Blow ups over the latest "controversy", whether it be Derpygate, Twilicorn, Equestria Girls, or the Molestia takedownneed to be recognized and compartmentalized as part of the fandom.  We can't pretend that we're perfect and everything is always rosy.  It's very easy to make platitudes about how everything is fine but we have to address some of the fandom's flaws if we don't want this whole thing to collapse in on itself.

• Brohoof 2