Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Light or dark?

PianoOfMuffins

This is going on comments I've seen pop up on the likes of here, YT etc, in regards to the general tone and content of MLP, in the realm of light and dark, and am interested in hearing more about just what people think.

I actually prefer the show when it's more bright and cheery, fun, and even uplifting in tone, dealing with more lighthearted and humorous affairs, as opposed to the times when things are darker and more serious, and in some cases quite sinister, in tone.

Half the very reason I watch MLP is because it always cheers me up in the first place, and so the more upbeat in tone episodes I find more inviting.

Not to say I'm not a fan of more darker episodes, or ones with certain darker elements, such as "Return Of Harmony", "A Canterlot Wedding" and "The Crystal Empire" which are of course great (or personally "quite good" in the latter's case), and they in themselves end up being uplifting on their own grounds, notably when all comes to a close, however I am more saying as in I prefer episodes that are more light in tone for the most part of their runtime.

I'm all for somewhat darker plotlines in moderation, but I feel that the amount in the show as of present is fine, perhaps even just right.

Certainly, darker episodes help keep things more interesting and intriguing, when done right, although I certainly wouldn't want the whole programme to more be towards this end of the scale on a more regular basis.

So yes, whether in terms of plot and storyline, characterisation, general goings on and atmosphere, I prefer MLP when things are more to the light side, although do welcome the intrigue of the darker side from time to time, as otherwise the programme just wouldn't be as interesting as it has currently been so far.

But what are you for? Lighter or darker episodes and elements? Even more darkness in the programme, or lessen it down from what there already is? Balance out light and dark elements more often 50/50 (an example of this could perhaps be "Feeling Pinkie Keen"), or make it sway more towards one end of the scale than the other in general?

Light or dark?

• Brohoof 2

I'd say keep it on the lighter side.As much as I would love to see some slightly darker themes to teach morals in the show,I could just easily read a fanfic or literally read/play/watch anything else to get my dark fix.

MLP is one of the few sources of innocent entertainment I have,so I don't honestly mind if they keep it completely cheery and such.

I would like some dark stuff for a change but only for things like the finale. Like something to just make you go "Wow!" And nothing too extreme. I think Chrysalis playing around Twilight's head like that was pretty boss and was possibly the most dark part of the MLP series so far, also Chrysalis never lied when she said it was her dream to carry out this plan, that kind of play on words is interesting. Either a finale with really complex plots to figure out with a very manipulative villain or a villain with a twisted personality would be interesting. Of course not going insane with the gore just something that makes you think wow someone can end up like that?

If you lessen the darkness down anymore it won't be very interesting. Villains in my book has to have some depth. Maybe add small hints of the villain towards the build up for the finale for once. I mean they only appear on one episode than get finished at the sequel. Kind of boring. And from what I've seen on these boards a lot of bronies are pretty smart (like figuring out Starswirl's journal linked to the finale etc.) and can figure a lot of things out so it would be nice to engage our minds for once.

Edited by poniesforfun
  • Brohoof 4

i like a happy kind of ep but i do like it a bit dark at some times to mix things up to give a little bit of drama to it other than it just being a boring kids show it has a mix and thats what i like it is balenced and that is awesome so both

• Brohoof 1

I like how they occasionally make it dark, but most of the time make it light. To be honest, I wouldn't want them to make it dark all the time, or light all the time.

• Brohoof 4

It really depends on my mood, but generally, I'd say...

I like darker toned things. Seriousness is something I enjoy.

For an example from another show, remember in Spongebob when he's on the beach with bubble buddy? Well, that guy that got buried in the sand died, with bubble buddy in front of him. Since in the end we find out that Bubble Buddy is alive, it means that he just watched that guy die, and did not choose to help him.

• Brohoof 1

I like what they what they have been doing so far but I would like to see bit more dark elements I guess. I mostly want to get to know more about our villains. So far, the major villains have been introduced and then defeated shortly after and never heard from again for the most part. Those darker episodes are some of my favorites and I love how absolutely evil Chrysalis' part in "This Day Aria" is :wub: .

I think the greatest thing about the show is how it combines both light and dark throughout the episodes. Season 1 had something that I loved and that was at the end of every episode there was an important lesson to be learned about life. I like the show because it is so cheerful and bright and can make someone smile if they are having a bad day. I think a balance of both light and dark works the best though. The show manages to do that very very well.  

• Brohoof 3

Usually I'm used to the light side, but the dark side I kind of like in fanfictions. But I prefer both when it comes to the show, like when Celestia taught Twilight how to copy King Sombra's dark magic, or when Nightmare Moon made dark replicants of the Wonderbolts and they are called the Shadowbolts.

If we were talking about some kind of alignment... I would totally go light. In this case..

I love the dark elements. Episodes like this makes me think that at least there's some plot, while the light are just "fillers". I like the light ones too (they are usually uber cute etc), but I'll keep it dark.

I like both. i mean who wouldn't like an epic episode, that is filled with suspense and action and a plot line that will keep you on the edge of your seat? But also, who wouldn't like to watch an episode for a nice laugh, one that can make you happy and songs and joy and innocence?

Both themes are good. Which is a reason why this show is great cuz it can have those serious plot-driven and actiony episodes but also have episodes that just make ya wanna smile.  :)

• Brohoof 2

Wanting an episode to be light-hearted and wanting an episode to be uplifting fall in completely unrelated categories in my book.

I tend to like stories that lean to the dark side, but have overwhelmingly light endings. Some of my favorite episodes (Hurricane Fluttershy comes to mind) fall in this very category, and I'd like to see more of that. MLP is at its best with Earn Your Happy Ending-style slice of life.

• Brohoof 4

I prefer a balanced approach.  If anything, keep the series on the lighter side because it, on the whole, should be upbeat.  We already know this isn't the all sunshine, rainbows, and smiles world of previous MLP generations Scootaloo satirically mocked in Sleepless In Ponyville. 

Touching on the dark side of things adds a dose of realism.  We know that tragedy, sadness, anger, and broken dreams are a part of the real world.  All of the Mane 6 have been touched by adversity at one time in their life or another.  But it's overcoming these obstacles that has made them and their friendship stronger. 

• Brohoof 4

I'm cool with a bit of Dark stuff mixed in ocationally, but I do like a good share of Light stuff to.

Really its a good mix that I like, and MLP does a great job I think of making a good mix of the two, not to dramatic and dark, and not to bright and cheery all the time.

• Brohoof 2

I think the mix that they've maintained in the first 3 seasons is perfect.  Equestria is a place that is generally a little nicer and more pleasant than our earth but is by no means a perfect paradise.  To create any kind of dramatic conflict, you have to have a place where things can still go wrong.  And I'm not just talking here about End-of_Equestria threats like in the season openers/finales.  You have ponies who are jerks to others, even bullying them.  You have ponies who question their existence, or get riddled with self doubt.  You have ponies who can become dangerously unhinged, even if it's played purely for laughs.  You need something like that, otherwise it's going to become very boring. 

And at the same time, it can't get bogged down in darkness, otherwise it could become just depressing.  (Plus it's a family friendly show).  Right now they've got a perfect balance.  It's nice enough so that it provides a welcome, innocent break from reality, but it's not so nice that it's just sunshine and rainbows all day long. 

• Brohoof 2