Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Fluttershy so Cute?

~Vallo~

I mean, come on. How can you tell me Futtershy isn't cute?  She recently became my favorite pony, and I'm surprised she wasn't my favorite from the start. 

So, why or why not is Fluttershy your favorite pony?  :P 

img-1222635-1-cute_fluttershy_by_flamp1-

img-1222635-2-fluttershy_being_cute_by_k

Those two pictures are too cute!! I'm gonna have a cuteness overload!!! She's my favorite pony of all time :) I don't know i guess its the fact that shes so shy and everything that makes her so cute to me :) and also her thick poofy light pink mane :P

• Brohoof 3

She's timid and shy, which gives lots of bronies something to relate to on a personal level. But I think guys would feel like they'd be able to comfort her, nurture her, protect her and help build her confidence up. So I see why she's a rather popular adorable character, she's appealing on different levels :) And, her voice is so soft, smooth and soothing. That's gotta help.

However, she's probably my least favorite of the main cast. Mostly because of the blandness and inconsistency that others have mentioned. But least favorite doesn't mean I don't like her! Love them all, just some a little less than others.

• Brohoof 4

Personally i like Rainbow Dash, but when i see Fluttershy I table_flip_flipping_rage_face_meme_custo

and yell SOOO CUTE! I have tried to look at this question 3 different ways. Psychological, logically, and sociologically. With the psychological part i think its because of her personality. Shy quite girls often trigger something in our brain that makes us love them and protect them, sorta like a protector thing. with the Logical part i came up with this argument: Cartoon ponies are cute, Fluttershy is a cartoon pony. Therefore Fluttershy is cute. I could further explain but that would take a while and im too lazy to type out an essay of my other findings.

• Brohoof 4

..I'm warning you, you're going to make me rant sometime. I'm trying hard not to burst out my anger on everypony who likes Fluttershy.

I can easily understand why someone would hate Fluttershy.

1. She is the most like a stereotypical pony one not familiar with are fandom would think of, with the tea party's, singing, cleaning with little critters, and trying to be cute as hell.

2. There is ALWAYS a shy one, it is a very overused concept.

3. Her episodes often enough go about the same way, with her growing a spine for the episode, then loosing it at the end of it.

But for some reason I like her more than the rest. Well, can bear her more than the rest. , 

• Brohoof 2

But I think guys would feel like they'd be able to comfort her, nurture her, protect her and help build her confidence up. So I see why she's a rather popular adorable character, she's appealing on different levels :) And, her voice is so soft, smooth and soothing. That's gotta help.

My take on it isn't so much that I'd want to comfort, nurture or protect her, so much as I just think she'd be a fascinating pony to talk to once I got to know her better and won her over so she wasn't so shy of me.  In my experience, shy people tend to also have deep intellects, and I enjoy hanging out with people like that. :)

• Brohoof 3

now, isn't that one of life's greastest mysteries? there's really no way of actually explaining why Fluttershy is so cute. except she's just cute naturally. she just has a natural knack for making us all D'AAAAAWWWW. Fluttershy is my fav bcuz she's just a little yellow bundle of ubercute, lovable  kindness with a big heart of gold with sugar on top  :wub:

• Brohoof 5

I love Fluttershy, shes my favorite mane 6 for more reasons then the fact shes simply cute, (PS shes adorable not just cute :D)

Also.. ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME MAN WITH THEM PICTURES, YOU ALMOST GAVE ME DIABETUS!

On a more serious note...

I think the reason Fluttershy is cute is because of many things, for one is her eyes have that innocent cute look to them, her voice also makes her more innocent along with her shy personality, but I think the most important thing is her facial expressions, the way they are made are perfect and make her look so adorable :D.

Also I don't get how come so many people seem to have such a strong dislike for Fluttershy, I mean I already have a hard enough time accepting it for other ponies, but I mean how you can hate such an adorable face baffles me really.

I could probably go on a rant about this, but I'll try to avoid it for the sake of not starting any fights :P. But I don't see the reason for all the hate, I know she gets an equal amount of love, but at the same time I feel like she gets her fair share of hate.

I know not everyones going to like the same characters, but to me thats another reason why people don't have to be so hard on us Fluttershy fans. Everypony likes one pony or another, for their own reasons. I personally love all the characters in one way or another, so I find it hard to hate any of the amazing designs of the characters in the first place, I can find qualities I like in all of them, really a good majority of it comes down to my preference and relatablitiy and a few other factors. Not because I find them good or bad characters.

So much for not ranting. Sorry about that :P.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I love Fluttershy, shes my favorite mane 6 for more reasons then the fact shes simply cute, (PS shes adorable not just cute :D)

Also.. ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME MAN WITH THEM PICTURES, YOU ALMOST GAVE ME DIABETUS!

On a more serious note...

I think the reason Fluttershy is cute is because of many things, for one is her eyes have that innocent cute look to them, her voice also makes her more innocent along with her shy personality, but I think the most important thing is her facial expressions, the way they are made are perfect and make her look so adorable :D.

Also I don't get how come so many people seem to have such a strong dislike for Fluttershy, I mean I already have a hard enough time accepting it for other ponies, but I mean how you can hate such an adorable face baffles me really.

I could probably go on a rant about this, but I'll try to avoid it for the sake of not starting any fights :P. But I don't see the reason for all the hate, I know she gets an equal amount of love, but at the same time I feel like she gets her fair share of hate.

I know not everyones going to like the same characters, but to me thats another reason why people don't have to be so hard on us Fluttershy fans. Everypony likes one pony or another, for their own reasons. I personally love all the characters in one way or another, so I find it hard to hate any of the amazing designs of the characters in the first place, I can find qualities I like in all of them, really a good majority of it comes down to my preference and relatablitiy and a few other factors. Not because I find them good or bad characters.

So much for not ranting. Sorry about that :P.

I see what you're getting at. It seems like Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash take the most hate. People say that Fluttershy is a cliche and annoying character, and that Rainbow Dash is arrogant and useless.

Edited by ~Vallo~
  • Brohoof 2

I see what you're getting at. It seems like Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash take the most hate. People say that Fluttershy is a cliche and annoying character, and that Rainbow Dash is an arrogant and useless pony. I don't know why. I mean, I like Rainbow Dash. She's not arrogant, she's just competitive. A lot of tomboys are like that!  B)

Eh, Dash has been plenty arrogant at times.  But she learns from it, and her character growth over the series has shown that.  I can see people's points about Fluttershy seeming to just revert to her old ways after each lesson, though I'm not sure there's much the writers can do about that, given she's kinda pigeonholed into that role.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Fluttershy is supposed to be shy and cute, she doesn't like to stand out but that doesn't mean she can take care of business if she wanted to. She possesses incredible strength but doesn't like to show it. Probably developed from working with animals and monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LRucoIcmww

Edited by poniesforfun
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Fluttershy is the cutest, most adorable character in anything I've ever seen. Her personality, including shyness, adds to the adorable quality of her being. She may have had several things that seemed to have been toned down, her promised assertiveness I just can not see anywhere, but I for one don't mind that. It just means that her personality is too hard to change then. A personality change is difficult to do, and is something I can't see happening overnight. Does it make me like her less? Hell No it makes me love her even more than ever.

Do I have an exact reason? Maybe because she reminds me of my late wife in a way, but that is in the recesses of my mind. If anything she's just damn cute and doesn't need an explanation from me. As said before on here, her personality seems to "backslide." That's a realistic trait. She's inspiring and has some of my favorite episodes. Hurricane Fluttershy is just the BEST. How her character can be so cute is so great.

Don't like her? Good, more Fluttershy for me! All mine!

If Comrade Dimitri Hammer saw this thread he would have to make it his own! Speaking of which haven't seen that guy around in a while :( .

Take over? DON'T MIND IF I DO!!! GET READY FOR THE RED OCCUPATION! HAHAHAHAHA

Fluttershy, will be mine.

red_army_march__2000__s_gif_by_tiepilot7

Edited by Comrade-Dimitri-Hammer
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

Least favorite Mane Six. I don't dislike her, she's just the blandest and least interesting to me in comparison to the others. Many of her episodes are inconsistent in how her personality is portrayed, she's shy, then she's confident, then she's shy again, then she's neither, etc. A problem with the show writers if anything to be sure, but still. I also suppose I find her style of cute cliche, as it's in your face, classic, and obvious. For more detail, see here :)

I don't know what you mean by classic. If you're talking about the G1 ponies, she isn't like them at all. In fact none of the G4 ponies are anywhere like them. They maybe giddy and unreasonably happy like Pinkie Pie but they aren't spontaneous and random. They can have a fraction of cuteness like Fluttershy but they don't go berserk every now and then. I would say she follows more of the bipolar archetype.

Fluttershy is the cutest, most adorable character in anything I've ever seen. Her personality, including shyness, adds to the adorable quality of her being. She may have had several things that seemed to have been toned down, her promised assertiveness I just can not see anywhere, but I for one don't mind that. It just means that her personality is too hard to change then. A personality change is difficult to do, and is something I can't see happening overnight. Does it make me like her less? Hell No it makes me love her even more than ever.

Do I have an exact reason? Maybe because she reminds me of my late wife in a way, but that is in the recesses of my mind. If anything she's just damn cute and doesn't need an explanation from me. As said before on here, her personality seems to "backslide." That's a realistic trait. She's inspiring and has some of my favorite episodes. Hurricane Fluttershy is just the BEST. How her character can be so cute is so great.

Don't like her? Good, more Fluttershy for me! All mine!

Take over? DON'T MIND IF I DO!!! GET READY FOR THE RED OCCUPATION! HAHAHAHAHA

Fluttershy, will be mine.

img-1224463-1-red_army_march__2000__s_gi

What is this I don't even....

Hide your Fluttershies. o.0

Edited by poniesforfun
  • Brohoof 2

Actually, I don't find Fluttershy to be very cute.  I'm not into shy girls like that.  I find them childish and annoying.  That's just my personal opinion.

I was talking to my wife about this last night (who is shy and introverted herself), and she explained why she disagrees with the assertion that Fluttershy doesn't take her lessons to heart: Shy people are like that.  They can have moments of brilliant assertion and courage, but those are the exception to the rule for most shy people.  Most of them will continue to be shy, quiet, reserved and introverted, often for their whole lives, only coming out to shine once in a while just because of who they are.

Fluttershy may be a bit of an exaggeration of this archetype, but I can see my wife's point on that, and I personally think Fluttershy HAS grown as a character - just maybe not in quite the same way as the others.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Because Fluttertree

fluttertree_by_moonbrony-d4twz73.png

While Fluttershy is not my favorite pony I still think she is very adorable. I mean not just is she shy, just the look of her face it's... d'aaawwwwww :3

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I find it amusing that a thread presuming to celebrate Fluttershy's cuteness has turned into a debate about how bland and one dimensional her shyness shtick is. As an avid Fluttershy fan, you'll probably expect me to vigorously defend her. I don't know about "vigorously", but I intend to give it my best shot. :)  Here are the three main points:

1. Fluttershy starts out shy, grows a backbone, and goes back to being shy again. All I can say is that she has suffered from a prolonged lack of confidence since she was a filly. Being treated as a weakling and an outcast by her classmates greatly exacerbated this condition. Just like Pinkie Pie depends on her friends for self-validation and to keep Pinkamena away, Fluttershy needs their support and strength whenever she is forced to go outside her comfort zone. Even with their help, being assertive is still very stressful for her. That's why she often overshoots the mark and is prone to angry outbursts. Although it appears on several occasions she has finally beat her shyness problem, she can't maintain it because of the inordinate amount of courage this requires. The fact that she has the spirit to do these things at all supports my position that she has a brave soul which is sadly obstructed by a neurotic complex. As another Fluttershy thread has recently stated, her timid nature won't magically go away just because she has stared down a few dragons and minotaurs. She will probably have to deal with this for the rest of her life but thanks to her great friends it is no longer a huge burden for her.

2. Fluttershy is the mandatory shy character of the series which makes her a big, dumb cliché. At first glance, this is true. When I first started watching MLP:FiM I never disliked Fluttershy but I didn't like her that much either. But as time went on I saw little things here and there which showed her to be more than a one dimensional character. Take Fluttershy's knowledge of sewing for instance. Almost everybody we know in real life has at least one solid talent most of the world is unaware of. If the writers were intent on keeping Fluttershy a frightened, quiet pegasus who cares for animals and little else, another one of the Mane 6 would've been given that dress-making know-how. I also think MLP:FiM should get credit for showing a lot of Fluttershy's history. Unlike most cartoon cowards, Fluttershy isn't shy for the sake of being shy. She has valid reasons for being that way.

3. She suffers from a lack of character development. Of the Mane 6, Fluttershy may well be dead last in this regard. I think the writers were preoccupied with developing Twilight, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash and so they left the other three on the back burner. They also gave her inconsistent portrayals. The only other explanation I can think of is that her ongoing fears inhibit her from changing for the better. That doesn't mean she won't, but that it will happen more slowly for her than the rest. Remember that Fluttershy is a late bloomer to begin with. She looked bigger and older than any of the others when she first got her cutie mark. Fluttershy's friends are very patient with her. As fans we should follow their example and allow her to develop at her own pace.

I will leave you with my two favorite Fluttershy PMVs. The first one focuses on her cuteness and beauty. The second shines a light on her great inner strength.

For the record, I don't even like One Direction. I just adore this PMV! The clip selection matches the lyrics perfectly from start to finish.

What the?! Who put together this piece of crap? I've seen plenty of videos where the words and clips have nothing in common. But this editor actually posts scenes that contradict the lyrics! This is the worst mish-mash of a PMV I've seen in a very long time.

Oops, sorry. I slipped into Post lies about the person above you mode for a moment. ;)

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 4

She's somewhere in the middle of my list. She loses points in my book because she's difficult to understand. Sometimes she's not so shy in one situation and sometimes she's so shy she can't even speak in a similar situation. Her element, however is always there. Her cuteness is... well, I guess this video explains it well.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know what you mean by classic. If you're talking about the G1 ponies, she isn't like them at all.

That's not at all what I mean :3 Please read through the link I provided and take a look at the Fluttershy section to know what I'm talking about ^^

• Brohoof 1

Why is Fluttershy so cute?  

So, aside from the fact that she's a butter-colored pegasus with enormous aqua-eyes, staring into your soul when she can bring herself to make eye contact, begging you for acceptance and love while tremulously fearing rejection and scorn?

Well.

She's like a tiny goddess of nature.  I'm sure you've all noticed how much more at ease she is any time she's interacting with an animal (who isn't in distress.)  She's sure of herself, not shy at all, but still soft-spoken as ever.  That's cute.

She squeaks.  She squeaks!  Oh gosh.  So cute.

The way she goes totally rigid or limp when she's in a situation she can't deal with is super-cute.  I totally lost it when Luna was hugging her, and her head was just lolling back and forth.

The fact that she knows a lot more than she lets on about certain things, keeping it to herself so as not to hurt her friends' feelings or make them feel inferior, is cute.

But Fluttershy can also be rather terrifying, remember.  There is that side to her.  (Dragonbusting, chasing animals that refuse to love her, Staring down cockatrices...)  That she seems totally unaware of it is...sort of cute too though.  ;)

• Brohoof 3

Hello!

When had just started liking the show, fluttershy was my favourite aswell. She was my favourite, because i thought i related to her very much, but later, i learned that i wasn't so shy at all. I'm still a little shy sometimes, especially with new people. Sadly, Fluttershy shy is now my least favourite mane 6 Pony.

Fluttershy is cute because her colour scheme is pleasing to the eye, her character development makes people usually D'awwww... Everypony in the MLP is cute, but i guess what really sells it for Fluttershy is her Shyness and Squeeks.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I dunno, she unleashes a world of hurt when she needs to. Kind of like a music teacher. She'll be nice if you be nice. Same situation here.

Edited by ~Vallo~
  • Brohoof 1

Eh, Dash has been plenty arrogant at times. But she learns from it, and her character growth over the series has shown that. I can see people's points about Fluttershy seeming to just revert to her old ways after each lesson, though I'm not sure there's much the writers can do about that, given she's kinda pigeonholed into that role.

I can agree that she doesn't learn a whole lot from her lessons, however of you examine her enough from s1 to s3 you can plainly see she has developed she's certainly less shy then she use to be, at first she was even shy around her friends, but now she's hardly ever shy around her friends, sure she's not very courageous, but she's certainly not as shy as s1.

Heck she even talks to others and isn't shy to others as often, she's had character devlopment, just at a kinda slow pace, so I can agree that she's a bit inconsistent there.

However I don't see that as anything close to a legit reason to flat out hate her, maybe slightly dislike her, but idk. Besides she's Fluttershy, she has to remain shy to some degree. And not just suddenly become perfect after learning a few little lessons.

• Brohoof 1