Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash shipping?

Stormlight34

It's a poor generalization, but also, some people just prefer homosexual ships. For me it depends. I like Lyra/Bon Bon together, but with RD, I think she would go with Soarin.

• Brohoof 1

Why is Rainbow Dash always thought as gay..

I mean she could always like Soarin or Big Mac.

Rainbow colored hair and a tomboyish attuide doe'snt mean she would be gay..

Well considering that anyone who's seen my comments on this, is because well... we're not exactly in a public stage of our relationship. But she is slightly bi curious... Not completely gay though, and that's proven because we are going out... In my dreams.

My point being, I guess it's mostly the whole, the Mane 6 characters having great relationships that it's much easier to ship her with someone who has a well developed personality in the show. Most of the stories that involve shipping are FemaleXFemale shippings, not just Dashie.

It's not that I actually think that Rainbow Dash is canonically gay, it's just that a lot of the lesbian shippings involving her, especially Flutterdash, are heart-breakingly adorable and make for really good pics and fanfics.

post-11613-0-95918200-1363484090.png

• Brohoof 3

Part of it is her tomboyish attitude and part of it is that rainbows for some reason have become associated with homosexuals and that there really aren't that many stallions in the show so there are far more lesbian shipping than heterosexual shipping possibilities. I think that the lack of stallions is a far more understandable reason than the others as I know plenty of tomboys who don't swing that way and who says that gays own the symbol of rainbows anyway? I like rainbows and I am not gay.

I think its partly because of the fact the show is made up of alot of female characters, meaning less heterosexual relationship chances.

Its also because people think Tomboys are lesbian or something idk.

To be honest the shipping fics with her in it can be kinda adorable though, i'll be honest :P.

• Brohoof 1

Haven't you noticed?

Ahem.

In the Mysterious Mare Do Well:

When Rainbow and AJ are taking a picture, right before the flash happens, it looks like Rainbow kisses AJ.

In Hurricane Fluttershy:

When Rainbow is trying to get Fluttershy to go and do the wind thingy, she says: YOU'RE GAY!? I think she probably said You're game!?, instead, though.

In the Canterlot Wedding:

When Rainbow helps Fluttershy from a bunch of Changelings, she gets her up, AND KISSES HER. ON THE LIPS THIS TIME!

But, I do actually think that FlutterDash is flippin' adorable.

• Brohoof 1

It's not that I actually think that Rainbow Dash is canonically gay, it's just that a lot of the lesbian shippings involving her, especially Flutterdash, are heart-breakingly adorable and make for really good pics and fanfics.

I agree with you, I think it's mostly her tomboyish attitude and of course, the rainbow coloured hair that makes people think that. Like you, I absolutely love Flutterdash because they're so darn cute! 

Other than that, maybe the show will include a way to somewhat point it out (although I doubt it, but I can dream right?) kind of like  how they pointed out that Rarity is straight (via Prince Blueblood).

Gay Rainbow Dash is so season 2. dry.png 

I never hear about it anymore. I used to hear it all the time when I was a new brony in 2011, but all the ponies are shipped with one another. People just like to use Gay Dash as an overextended joke.

Silly forum goers, you all have the ships all wrong.

Everyone knows that JoshxDash is best shipping.

She seems pretty happy here with me tongue.png

attachicon.gifI have no clue.jpg

You sir, have just made my day! Hahah thanks for that! 

Glad I'm not the only one here who wishes she could hang out with ponies IRL.

• Brohoof 1

Haven't you noticed?

Ahem.

In the Mysterious Mare Do Well:

When Rainbow and AJ are taking a picture, right before the flash happens, it looks like Rainbow kisses AJ.

In Hurricane Fluttershy:

When Rainbow is trying to get Fluttershy to go and do the wind thingy, she says: YOU'RE GAY!? I think she probably said You're game!?, instead, though.

In the Canterlot Wedding:

When Rainbow helps Fluttershy from a bunch of Changelings, she gets her up, AND KISSES HER. ON THE LIPS THIS TIME!

But, I do actually think that FlutterDash is flippin' adorable.

I don't know about the camera, but I just checked the canterlot thing... that didn't happen, I did a frame by frame play of it, a sound effect plays as she lifts her up, but she "mane'taned" a smile the whole thing. So no... 

But if you like your ships, that's whatever you like tongue.png

EDIT: And after checking the scene with the camera, applejack falls behind rainbow dash's muzzle, it's just the layering, Watching it in HD makes it clear that no such thing happened.

Sorry.

Edited by Rainbow Dashey

That is the cutest picture I have ever seen. My god, that is bucking adorable! Do you know who the artist is?

Now I just need 100 characters.

Heck, I'll admit it. I at first thought Rainbow Dash was a dude. And my first reaction was "wow there actually having males in the show. Then i saw her in a dress and it took a few minutes to go through my extremely slow brain cells that she was a she.

Now that said. As others have pointed out, she is viewed this way because she's been given those stereotypical characteristic associated with being lesbian. Personally i don't mind one way or the other, what bothers me is the stereotype that she's been labeled with that seems to automatically lead people to the conclusion that she is gay.

Personally, the stereotype is one of the biggest turn offs I have with most lesbian Rainbow Dash, plus I got a bit too attached to SoarinDash and MacinDash, when I first got into the fandom. 

On the other hand, I think PinkieDash and FlutterDash are insanely adorable, plus I have a soft spot for RariDash

I don't like her being portrayed as lesbian at all, since it's an annoying stereotypical attitude. I definitely see her as straight.

But, like people have said, there aren't that many stallions in the show so that's why there are a lot of yuri pairings compared to the hetero pairings.

Me? I ship hetero pairings only. :)

Wow this turned into a Flutterdash thread quickly (no complaints) but I feel some points need to be addressed.

Okay, here we go. I would just like to establish that Rainbow Dash will never go out with the Wonderbolts. She admires them as idols, the thing she's looked up to since a kid. Given the chance she would never consider being in a relationship with them. So Soarin' Dash is out.

Rainbow Mac...  yeah, let's just move on.

Pinkie Dash. This is probably the saddest shipping, not because it sucks, but because Dash will never like Pinkie as much as she like Dash. Its an incredibly one sided relationship and Dash will unfortunately always see her as a friend.

So, moving on to the last one mentioned here.

Flutterdash. Yeah, I'm sorry, but it just works. It has the most canon backing of any fan shipping and is quite frankly adorable. The reason Rainbow is still considered a lesbian is not for some joke, it's because it just works. There, I've said my part.

Deploying Hate Shields!

Like , I think that Rainbow Dash could be bisexual. I like both FlutterDash and SoarinDash, although that's just my personal opinion.

• Brohoof 2

Being that the target audience is children and that America is still really touchy about introducing the concept of homosexuality to children, I'd say that the actually chances that she's gay or ever will be made to be are slim to nil.

First, I think that her name is Rainbow Dash and that her mane and tail are rainbow-colored makes people think that. The rainbow has been a symbol of the LGBT community for a long time, and so people have that strong association in their head, which makes them think "gay" when they see the colors in RD's mane. Not everyone, but I'm sure that's the connection that many people have made.

The other thing is her personality. Yes, I know, it's stereotypical to call the tomboy gay. But in terms of fan works, if someone's trying to make same-sex works, I think that Rainbow Dash is kind of the easy conclusion for people to come to and that it's believable for readers/viewers to buy. (i.e. some people have no creativity. Shhhhh...)

Given that there aren't many male characters, I think lesbian shipping is inevitable.  I haven't counted, but I'd be willing to bet that Shining Armor is the stallion with the most lines, and being married he's kind of off limits to ship (well, unless you're into that sort of thing).

Heck, I'll admit it. I at first thought Rainbow Dash was a dude. And my first reaction was "wow there actually having males in the show. Then i saw her in a dress and it took a few minutes to go through my extremely slow brain cells that she was a she.

Now that said. As others have pointed out, she is viewed this way because she's been given those stereotypical characteristic associated with being lesbian. Personally i don't mind one way or the other, what bothers me is the stereotype that she's been labeled with that seems to automatically lead people to the conclusion that she is gay.

I occasionally forget that she's female.  I think I even read someplace that someone involved with the show kept calling her "he," although I can't find the source of that.  I guess her portrayal as a tomboy is *too* good.

The rainbow mane is what tells some people that she's gay.  (Which she's not) It's also the fact there are less stallions in the show then there are mares.  Offering less heterosexual shipping chances.

She's not gay, everyone knows she's bi - simply, she is too awesome to be limited to just one gender.

BTW

AppleDash & SoarDash are my OTPs.

Edited by Cocodrillo
  • Brohoof 1