Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Do You Feel About A Background Pony Episode?

GrooveBroove

There.

it_s_what_my_hipster_mark_is_telling_me_

People keep asking for a 'Derpy Episode' or a 'Lyra episode' and so on and so forth. Why not put them all together into a big ball of wibbly wobbly pony wony stuff?

• Brohoof 1

You want an episode featuring a story centered around a background pony? But I thought Applejack already got one this season...

Anyway, I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the idea. It would likely screw over anyone whose fanon interpretation of the background character in question didn't line up with the new canon material. Plus, I feel that the Mane Six, the CMC and Spike are plenty enough to base a show around and I'd prefer it if they spent the limited amount of episodes that we're going to get developing characters I have some kind of investment in. If they want to break the mold, I'd prefer if they gave Celestia, Luna or Discord an episode.

• Brohoof 1

Anyway, I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the idea. It would likely screw over anyone whose fanon interpretation of the background character in question didn't line up with the new canon material. Plus, I feel that the Mane Six, the CMC and Spike are plenty enough to base a show around and I'd prefer it if they spent the limited amount of episodes that we're going to get developing characters I have some kind of investment in. If they want to break the mold, I'd prefer if they gave Celestia, Luna or Discord an episode.

I totally agree with you. If they were to make an episode not about the mane 6, it would best fit with characters commonly focused on that aren't a large part of every episode such as Luna.

As for a episode about the background characters... I wouldn't mind it, but it would seem like a waste when they could be further developing side and main characters. (Unless of course they change a background character into a side character.)

Edited by ThePilotGuy
  • Brohoof 1

Regarding my last post, I can't see this really happening because the background ponies are meant to just be background ponies. If they had a more detailed story than they can no longer be used as stock extras and the writers would have to come up with new color renditions (like mane, tail, coat). The main differences between the ponies are their coat, mane and tail colors (the mane and tail always being the same) and maybe mane styles. Other than that their body types are all the same. If they add more character details to a background pony that's not a background pony at all.

And this also means less episodes focusing on the mane six (there wasn't even enough to squeeze in for Rarity). And if they come up with new background ponies they will have a new fanbase follow up and then the writers have to make stories for those new ones later....

• 2 months later...

So I have been thinking recently: "What if one of the episodes of MLP was all about the background ponies". I mean, they have gained enough popularity that it seems reasonable. The plot would be something like the M6 going missing or there off on their own adventure. Personally, I would love to see Vinyl and Octavia going on a quest with each other. 

What do you think?

• Brohoof 1

Well I personally wouldn't mind it. However, the problem being would be that then they would take up more episodes, meaning less time for the already decently sized cast of characters for the show.

Also Derpy getting a speaking role didn't turn out, not to say it'll be the same reason others fail, but I have a feeling that who knows what'll happen.

It also means they're almost no longer background ponies, and may even need to be kept up as a actual show character. Meaning more episodes are used, and that means its harder to fit character development for each of the characters.

So while it'd be cool, i don't know if they will be able to, just due to all the time constraints.

Pulp Fiction episode that jumps between all the different background characters and their day to day lives.

Like that great Simpsons episode.

I don't think a background pony episode would work. There are a lot of background ponies, and it would be hard to fit so many mini adventures into one episode. It'd be even more rushed than Magical Mystery Cure. Let's say the episode is dedicated toward Lyra, Bon Bon, Vinyl Scratch, Octavia, Dr. Whooves, and Derpy. Each character would get roughly 3 minutes of screen time. We also don't really know how these ponies act in the canon, since their personalities have been sculpted by us: the fans. It's only enough time to let us know a few details about them. The episode would be inevitably convoluted.

As much as I love some of the background ponies, I think they should stay background ponies when it comes to the canon. The fans can play around with the background ponies as much as they want though. I'd say they've made the background ponies a lovable bunch.

@, Your thread is very similar in purpose as the thread already existing, so it has been merged into the older one.

I wouldn't mind an Octavia episode personally. Or maybe one about Screw Loose and how she ended up thinking she was a dog.