Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Do You Feel About A Background Pony Episode?

GrooveBroove

Something I was thinking about today.

Seems like it would be an obvious thing to do, especially from a business standpoint. I was thinking something along the lines of what we get with the CMC episodes. So we'd see background ponies but mane6 and CMC would still have their place.

Lastly the biggest thing would be Hasbro to keep everything the fanbase has pretty much universally agreed on with the background ponies. Also not to set it up and take it back like they did derpy.

• Brohoof 4

I dunno...

I can't really see an episode like that panning out. As much as I like our friendly ponies that keep up the great work in the background, I actually see an episode about them turning out as a disaster.

Not to mention all the cries of fanservice that would ensue, especially if they have the background ponies with the personalities that the fandom has assigned them.

• Brohoof 4

I think it's more fun to leave the background ponies ambiguous, so fan fiction authors and artists can come up with their own interpretations of them. 

• Brohoof 2

I think it would be an interesting idea, But Hasbro would have to make sure that they add their own Elements to the characters as well as not complete getting rid of the fandom personality's which would be a hard thing to do. A background pony idea could work but not with any background pony. I think it would be best if they did an episode like this where one of the background ponies has a problem and they rely on the mane 6 to help them out instead of simply focusing the episode on the background pony.

It would be nice to see what the other residents of ponyville do instead of just the mane6 and what ponyville residents are up to, but you never know whats in store for season 4...huh.png

Edited by Rainbowswag4
  • Brohoof 1

I prefer episodes that revolve more around the characters and their growing friendship as a whole. Even some of the new episodes that are just "1 pony out of the 6" or maybe just "2 ponies getting into a tussle and solving it" is not to my tastes. I prefer seeing the roundness of their friendship and how they each have key aspects in the group and contribute to it. Background pony episodes would be very (I guess you could say) "off-topic" in terms of the show and its whole point to begin with. It would end up not contributing anything to the show and wouldn't make very much sense at all.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not so sure about background ponies because everyone has already made up their headcannon about ponies like Lyra's obsession of anthropology.

Perhaps an episode like how Cheerilee got to where she is today.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not the least bit interested. I watch MLP for the Mane Six, Spike, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Not side characters and background ponies who serve their purposes just fine.

If Doctor Who can have a great episode with the two characters being complete strangers (the Weeping Angels episode), then My Little Pony can have an awesome episode with a background pony

I would like an episode featuring Derpy. She wouldn't need to be the main focus of the episode, that could seem a bit forced - just give her some screen time and lines to say (in her original Derpy voice).

• Brohoof 1

I would like an episode featuring Derpy. She wouldn't need to be the main focus of the episode, that could seem a bit forced - just give her some screen time and lines to say (in her original Derpy voice).

I'm going to be honest and say that I unfortunately don't see that happening...

... but that Derpy coming back and having a few more lines would be pretty freaking awesome. I think we'll really have to settle for her once again being a background Easter Egg, but that's fine by me.

If we were going to give any background character time on screen, though, it should probably be a character that could bring something interesting to the table. Like I said, one big problem with giving background characters a bigger role is that the fandom has attached personalities and/or relationships to a lot of them.

I think it'd be crazy to see Vinyl Scratch suddenly start talking and having a major role in an episode. I think there would be a fandom-wide implosion to be honest.

That actually sounds like a good idea. However, that might cause more work as adding in more characters means more stories and stuff like that. Then, if it is successful, they have to continue on not only the mane 6, but also the background ponies as well. Overall, it's a half bag for me, but I do have to say, if I can choose any background character to have there own episode, it has to be the one and only...

134489158675.png

I wouldn't mind seeing an episode featuring background characters.  Maybe the character wouldn't be the mane main focus, but could still have a prominent role in the episode.  I'd actually love to see an episode where Rainbow Dash gets to hang out with the Wonderbolts for a day.  Soarin and Spitfire could talk about their past and how they got into the wonderbolts, so I guess it would be a flashback episode.  I doubt it would happen, but I can dream...

Plus, its a good excuse for more Spitfire, and possibly filly Spitfire wub.png   

• Brohoof 1

There are two problems with this idea:

What would the episode be about? What would the story be?

We don't know enough about any of the background characters to find them as compelling as the Mane Six or the CMC and so, having an episode about them would be abrupt, out of nowhere.

The only character I could imagine this working with is Derpy and even then only if she's gradually built up as a character through more episode appearances and then appearing as a co-star alongside one of the Mane Six. There's a reason things like background characters remain in headcanon only.

The idea is alright, but I feel like there would be a lot of problems for doing that. Mostly due to the fact most background characters are created by us and it's hard to say if the writhers well stick with are idea or recreate the character. 

I wouldn't mind seeing an episode featuring background characters.  Maybe the character wouldn't be the mane main focus, but could still have a prominent role in the episode.  I'd actually love to see an episode where Rainbow Dash gets to hang out with the Wonderbolts for a day.  Soarin and Spitfire could talk about their past and how they got into the wonderbolts, so I guess it would be a flashback episode.  I doubt it would happen, but I can dream...

Plus, its a good excuse for more Spitfire, and possibly filly Spitfire img-1287623-1-wub.png   

Okay, that could actually work. After all, Spitfire and Soarin have both spoken before and at least have a bit of established character to both of them, so them appearing again wouldn't shock. Especially since Rainbow Dash is in the Wonderbolt Academy. I dunno about having an entire episode about Dash just hanging out with the Wonderbolts cause that seems a little bland, but there probably could be an episode that focuses on her and the rest of the Wonderbolts.

It'd be okay for a fan film or something. But an episode directly from the developing team? How would that even work?

First of all, we've 65 episodes with focus on the same 9 to 11 characters periodically, so an out-of-the-blue episode with a pony or ponies that have already been there in the background is way too sudden. Secondly, if any of the writers even touch the fandom's beloved background ponies, there will be fan uproar because either the writers give them personalities and voices that we don't like, the character(s) will do something or some things that contradict our fanon, or both. Thirdly, if this was to happen just for a shift in the cast routine, then the better idea is to introduce someone entirely new, not someone who's been here but seems new. Finally, background ponies are called background ponies for a reason; they're meant to be in the background.

This doesn't mean I wouldn't want it, but I reckon it wouldn't turn out good either. 

Okay, that could actually work. After all, Spitfire and Soarin have both spoken before and at least have a bit of established character to both of them, so them appearing again wouldn't shock.

Yeah, but that defeats the purpose of calling it a "background pony episode." Spitfire and Soarin' have established themselves as characters. They've spoken and showed up multiple times. They're not really background ponies at this point.

Edited by PrymeStriker

It'd be okay for a fan film or something. But an episode directly from the developing team? How would that even work?

First of all, we've 65 episodes with focus on the same 9 to 11 characters periodically, so an out-of-the-blue episode with a pony or ponies that have already been there in the background is way too sudden. Secondly, if any of the writers even touch the fandom's beloved background ponies, there will be fan uproar because either the writers give them personalities and voices that we don't like, the character(s) will do something or some things that contradict our fanon, or both. Thirdly, if this was to happen just for a shift in the cast routine, then the better idea is to introduce someone entirely new, not someone who's been here but seems new. Finally, background ponies are called background ponies for a reason; they're meant to be in the background.

This doesn't mean I wouldn't want it, but I reckon it wouldn't turn out good either. 

Yeah, but that defeats the purpose of calling it a "background pony episode." Spitfire and Soarin' have established themselves as characters. They've spoken and showed up multiple times. They're not really background ponies at this point.

Yeah, that's what I've been saying as well. Even if some fans think they want a background ponies episode, it's simply not a good idea because it would mean the show challenging long-held fan visions of characters.

And yeah, I realize that Soarin and Spitfire are already established characters. That's why I said it was a good idea, since the show already has an interpretation of them set in stone.

I would be all for it especially if the background pony in question is Derpy, I know it is unlikely but I can dream can't I? Seeing one about Ocatavia and Vinyl Scratch would be pretty interesting as well.

Honestly I can't say I like or dislike this idea, though if they have the same personalities the fandom made people would say it's fanservice, if not they'd get angry because it's changed.

They might do it but their limit and importance wouldn't be very important, their names would reflect the ones Hasbro assigned to the toys. And they won't have an episode just for them they would just be the one-time appearing supporting cast. Like one of them has a problem and one of the mane six would be off to help her.

Edited by poniesforfun

I don't mind at all, I would love it. :) I think a Lyra/Bon Bon episode together wouldn't be so bad, and a musical episode with Vinyl and Octavia.

If they do get a chance for background ponies, my last idea would be Spitfire.

I've been wondering about this for a while, at first I was on the definite yes side about background ponies having their own episode but now most of you guys are saying so, it would probably make some of the fandom butthurt because of the changed personality they may or may not have and ruin their fan-fics.

It could change the way we see Vinyl Scratch or Lyra unless they keep the personalities the fandom sort of made for them. Although I'd still say it would make a pretty good episode, but having their own short scenes is enough for me xP The first time we saw Vinyl Scratch for like 5 seconds everyone immediately thought she likes dubstep and she already has a bunch of art and videos about her making her own techno/dubstep songs on youtube.

About the only background characters we know enough about to have an episode are Big Mac, Cheerilee, and Zecora. So, yeah, you could do an episode exploring one of them. But doing something on Octavia, Lyra, Vinyl, or one of the other deep background ponies would be pretty tough.

Well, they wouldn't be background characters anymore. They would be side characters. I think I would rather have them stay as background characters although I wouldn't say no to Vinyl Scratch or Octavia talking in an episode.