Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Interesting things about the fandom...

BizzarePony

well, from the beginning till now eqd posts pretty much nothing but various forms of art (and sometimes some news)

each post gets literally thousands of views and comments

it's a great outlet for self expression

you are also CONTRIBUTAN to the community culture as a whole by doing so, which is cool

the challenge is mediating your own work to form some definite relation to pony, which I sometimes see lacking

in other words, sometimes, it's hard to even tell that the work is related to the show at all (I'm thinking music mostly)

well, from the beginning till now eqd posts pretty much nothing but various forms of art (and sometimes some news)

each post gets literally thousands of views and comments

it's a great outlet for self expression

you are also CONTRIBUTAN to the community culture as a whole by doing so, which is cool

the challenge is mediating your own work to form some definite relation to pony, which I sometimes see lacking

in other words, sometimes, it's hard to even tell that the work is related to the show at all (I'm thinking music mostly)

Perhaps because it personally validates some of their personal thoughts & feelings they have towards the characters, themselves, or, how they choose to exemplify their own personalities. For instance, some people make some sorrow artwork involving Luna. Giving her a grave backstory. We see something deeper then a colorful palette as what appears on the screen or even what Hasbro would allow. Some see an entire world in the character, in a manner of speaking. Self expression? Yes!

Twilight is like me in that she is into reading but is at times, socially inept, but graciously she has uniformly found a social group that accepts her, that's sometimes more then I can say about some aspects of myself, or even the friends I have had. So at times, fans amplify self expression by yes, mediating personal feelings through ponies. But of course, we have also our quirky ponies and our insecure ponies. :)

Edited by Akaraah
  • Brohoof 1

Fans are first inspired by the show and then are even more inspired when they see the works of other fans, giving them the drive to contribute to the community.

I would like to contribute more but I have zero drawing ability (as it appears drawings/sketches/paintings are more revered than fanfics and vectors). So I have to stick to writing and using vectors other people have made.

• Brohoof 1

Well, the animation is one of the main reasosn why a lot of people watch the show, so I guess that partly explains it.

But quite honestly, I don't think that there's only artistic and creative people in the fandom (although I would probably fit in this category myself too). It's just that there's more opportunity for creative people to make some fanstuff related to the show, so that's all we see or notice.

But that doesn't mean that there's no other type of people. Maybe we could make a poll or something

• Brohoof 3

The most interesting thing about the fandom can be seen in this picture.

post-15-0-60799700-1318820148_thumb.jpg

Hes KISSING Pinkie Pie :blink:

The way the kissy guys arms are positioned kind of weirds me out, but okay! B)

If you think about it, I know this is a tad off topic, but wonder if and when virtual reality comes, who may be the first bronies to make a reality game based off of MLP FiM? And will the kissy guy seek out his ulterior goals... :wub:

Edited by Akaraah

The way the kissy guys arms are positioned kind of weirds me out, but okay! B)

If you think about it, I know this is a tad off topic, but wonder if and when virtual reality comes, who may be the first bronies to make a reality game based off of MLP FiM? And will the kissy guy seek out his ulterior goals... :wub:

Probably me. Also, I think game design is a form of art as well, and there are several pony game designers out there too. I am an aspiring developer.

Honestly, I think it's because most, okay, 90% of the fandom generally consists of nerdy types. Please don't take this offensive (since I am a huge nerd/geek myself) but it's true! And nerd-type people are generally more creative and artsy than others...

Also the fact that the reason people get pulled by the show is it's creativity...

Probably me. Also, I think game design is a form of art as well, and there are several pony game designers out there too. I am an aspiring developer.

Awesome! I have always been into the idea of game design, though I may not act on it until later. I tried programming in my last year of high school and didn't do my best, so I think I'm more on the designer end than the technical half. :P

Sadly, I don't think Hideo Kojima (the guy who made Metal Gear) would agree with you since he doesn't think of video games as art. I do though!

Honestly, I think it's because most, okay, 90% of the fandom generally consists of nerdy types. Please don't take this offensive (since I am a huge nerd/geek myself) but it's true! And nerd-type people are generally more creative and artsy than others...

Also the fact that the reason people get pulled by the show is it's creativity...

Maybe we should do a poll where we find out how many of us play video games, read comics, and draw (I consist of all three, lol). XD

Edited by Akaraah

Maybe, but I'm sure that Aounuma (Zelda franchise) would agree.

Also, I think that the fandom is what it is because of the intelligence of its members.

He most definitely would, based on the commentary he delivers on the development process of the Zelda games, along with many others involved with Zelda. Art direction is key especially.

And yep, everyone seems nice and levelheaded for the most part on these forums. I myself always try to leave interesting comments and responses and get sort of disappointed when no one posts on a thread in a long time. :)

Maybe we should do a poll where we find out how many of us play video games, read comics, and draw (I consist of all three, lol). XD

I'm a writer and a poet, but I really admire people who can draw - I can create abstract designs, but I can't create anything specific. Sometimes my designs look perfectly like dragons, but they ain't ever gonna look like a pony!

• Brohoof 1

MMM, well i dont know really on this point, it does seem like this fandom have a lot more creative types than other TV show based fandoms like Sonic or i dunno. Altho don't take my word for that as i have little experience of other fandoms :P

One thing i like tho is how the fandom is very encouraging towards art creation, and it was the Equestria Daily "Artist training ground" even that made me start drawing too :)

As for the show being more attractive for creative types, i don't know. I virtually love the show to bits and i draw, work with models and currently working with 3D art, design, rigging and animation. But i have friends that also love it a lot that do do this stuff :P

It's like the snowball effect. Once something starts to grow it continues gathering momentum and mass in the same direction faster and faster. With most fandoms, the early fans influence the direction of the fandom as it grow by gathering more like minded people into the mix who continue to spread the fandom in the same way.

With MLP, the fandom was born with a lot of creativity and expression as a central part to it. This attracted more people who enjoyed that sort of thing, contributed their own creativity, and so on. I personally was attracted to the show because of all the art and comics. I'm not much of an artist, but I'm already working on giving back by writing a fanfic. And so the snowball effect continues. We see the entire fandom generating creative original content, and we're impressed, and we want to be a part of it. So we work hard to contribute stuff of our own and keep things rolling.

The show itself is awesome. But it's the fan community that really keeps this going. We've made the hole fan experience about 20% cooler. B)

• Brohoof 2

The most interesting thing about the fandom can be seen in this picture.

post-15-0-60799700-1318820148_thumb.jpg

Hes KISSING Pinkie Pie Posted Image

Perhaps in jest. It's not uncommon practice. Italians slobber both of your cheeks as a greeting.

• Brohoof 1

I have a design document for a pony fan game myself. I plan to start developing it as soon as I launch that new website I've been hinting at.

Video games are most definitely art. Go look at Zelda: Wind Waker. Have a listen to Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack. Then come back here and try to tell us all, with a straight face, that video games are not art.
  • Brohoof 2

I have a design document for a pony fan game myself. I plan to start developing it as soon as I launch that new website I've been hinting at.

Video games are most definitely art. Go look at Zelda: Wind Waker. Have a listen to Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack. Then come back here and try to tell us all, with a straight face, that video games are not art.

If you make the game half as good as this site, I would pay money for it.

I would go to the store, buy a cash card, and pay to own it.