Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Scootaloo fly or be disabled?

pinkiefan1287

Fly or Disable   

259 users have voted

1. 1. Should Scootaloo fly or be Disabled?

• Have her fly
    • Have her unable to fly

Should Scottaloo be allowed to fly in season 4 or should they go with the disabled route?

They should do a nice thing for when the series wraps up completely. In the final episode have them get cutie marks, and have Scoots do some awesome thing and later realize she flew..

predictable as it may be for that, it'd at least wrap it up.

until then, keep it as is, so they can draw upon it. TBH I wish they'd kept Derpy with the voice too, as still they could've used her as a learning tool regarding disabled individuals. Both physical (A pegasus with no depth perception?!) and otherwise (vocal... though given fleetfoot.. hmm)

Edited by GrimCW

They should do a nice thing for when the series wraps up completely. In the final episode have them get cutie marks, and have Scoots do some awesome thing and later realize she flew.. predictable as it may be for that, it'd at least wrap it up.  

I was willing to believe that idea, tell I heard MLP is going to last 5 more years. Now I don't really know if that's true or even possible, but to milk the getting the cutie mark thing for 5 more years just seems way to long. And if the show get's worse with time then it may get canceled and the 3 never getting their cutie marks. So I say give it them this year or next year, but not at the very end.

I was willing to believe that idea, tell I heard MLP is going to last 5 more years. Now I don't really know if that's true or even possible, but to milk the getting the cutie mark thing for 5 more years just seems way to long. And if the show get's worse with time then it may get canceled and the 3 never getting their cutie marks. So I say give it them this year or next year, but not at the very end.

well thats why they should have a "finish it" episode planned out in advance.

Something to throw out there that'll wrap up each season as if it were the last.  not necessarily animated right away, but at least planned out so in the worst case scenario they can wrap it up with a 1 hour finale, or single "movie" like episode.

Seeing as how disability is a topic not well discussed in kids' shows, I would like to see Scoots kept as disabled, quite honestly. Hasbro has dropped the ball on disability before, but hopefully they won't back out and actually commit xD

It'd be good for kids to learn about disability a bit better though. None of my shows growing up as a little kid really taught me that they're normal people, so when I finally was exposed to them, I was kind of... weird about it.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to see her fly on the last episode. Or .. at least the last CMC episode. I think she'll always be the most talented on the ground, but I'd still like to see her fly once.

I like the idea of her being disabled. It'd be nice to have a character with a visible disability on the show, and would not only provide representation, but an interesting story arc as well. Scootaloo's talent is, well, scootering, and part of her getting her cutie mark would likely involve her acceptance of her physical limitations.

• Brohoof 3

Part of me still respectfully disagrees with the idea of Scootaloo staying strictly disabled.

I won't hold the show against it if they officially go that route, but that's just it; they haven't!

Despite the fact the 'Flight To The Finish' did address Scootaloo's apparent inability to fly, the episode left it ambiguous and whether or not she'll eventually be able to one day.

Also, even after this episode, we still get scenes of Scootaloo hovering, why? if we're supposed to acknowledge that Scoots might never be able to fly, why is the show still showing us these brief scenes?

Please tell me this; what sense would it make to say a character can't do something, yet keep giving hints that it might change?

Well Scootaloo physically has the same issue as Bulk Biceps...Though I think her greatest strength when she grows up is that she'll be on a scooter! I think that's really unique to her, kind of like blind Toph from A:TLA.

Part of me still respectfully disagrees with the idea of Scootaloo staying strictly disabled.

I won't hold the show against it if they officially go that route, but that's just it; they haven't!

Despite the fact the 'Flight To The Finish' did address Scootaloo's apparent inability to fly, the episode left it ambiguous and whether or not she'll eventually be able to one day.

Also, even after this episode, we still get scenes of Scootaloo hovering, why? if we're supposed to acknowledge that Scoots might never be able to fly, why is the show still showing us these brief scenes?

Please tell me this; what sense would it make to say a character can't do something, yet keep giving hints that it might change?

Well it would look bad if you just flat out gave up. Yeah-you can't fly. So you stop altogether and never try at all? How many people get told they can't do something and-while its not the greatest, they eventually found a way to overcome it in their own way. People told me I wouldn't be able to read or write. Look at me now!~ If I just let them, I wouldn't be in the classes I am.

Now, to answer: Maybe to remind us what she does have. She had her scooter, and her hoovering strengthens how she scooters. Maybe its to strengthen her abilities. In stories, I seen this common. I hate this ploy the most, but its plausible. I hate it mainly because they remove her greatest talent for flight when it didn't matter earlier on. They actually make her quit the scooter in these stories, which bugs me too.

I like the idea of keeping her unable to fly and encouraging her to get around in her own unique way - amazing scootering, propelled by her wings. It's become such a big part of who she is and it's also nice to see the show tackling the fact that some ponies have problems that others don't, and showing her handling it well anyway.

I like the idea of keeping her unable to fly and encouraging her to get around in her own unique way - amazing scootering, propelled by her wings. It's become such a big part of who she is and it's also nice to see the show tackling the fact that some ponies have problems that others don't, and showing her handling it well anyway.

Could this mean that Scootaloo being able to fly is out of the question?

Could this mean that Scootaloo being able to fly is out of the question?

Simply put-its been confirmed by the writers. Though, putting it in the show directly would be very difficult. (Its rude to point out, they already pushed their boundaries, etc)

Simply put-its been confirmed by the writers. Though, putting it in the show directly would be very difficult. (Its rude to point out, they already pushed their boundaries, etc)

So is it too late for Scootaloo to be able to fly now or can it still happen?

So is it too late for Scootaloo to be able to fly now or can it still happen?

Doubt she could fly..naturally. It would be kind of amazing if she could fly without having wings. Like..by machine? She could build machinery (unlike Apple Bloom who does carpentry) as shown in one episode. It..would be interesting

:o 38% want her to be unable to fly??

I want her to fly, and I'm sure she will. She's just too young, that's all.

I feel the same thing. I'm with the other 62% who want her to fly.

:o 38% want her to be unable to fly??

I want her to fly, and I'm sure she will. She's just too young, that's all.

She's actually not too young to fly. "Flight to the Finish" and episodes before that have shown that by her age, Pegasus ponies are able to fly pretty well. If you rewatch the episode, it shows Pegasus fillies flying gracefully, and Scootaloo being jealous of it. Also remember that Rainbow Dash even pulled off a Sonic Rainboom when she was around Scootaloo's age.

It's obvious that Scootaloo is either just slow to learn how to fly or is handicapped in that department. Not that that makes her any less awesome, because it doesn't.

As for whether or not she'll fly, I've said it before in this topic and I'll say it again: I actually don't mind either way, but I do lean toward her not being able to fly, at least for now. I will say this though... if there was an episode where she learned how to fly and it was done right, I might just cry with joy.

Literal tears, fellas. Yessiree.

(edited)

I want to see her fly, myself. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel a flightless pegasus is a rather lousy allegory for physical disability. What is a pegasus who can't fly, other than...oh, yeah! A perfectly able-bodied earth pony, albeit with two useless appendages.

Really, about the only thing of value to impart by making Scootaloo forever unable to fly would be an "it's okay to be different" message, but that's about it. It would do nothing to showcase how hard it is being physically disabled, as she could still walk around just fine like any other pony. I say just let Scoots fly, and give that "it's okay to be different" episode to somepony else. Somepony with a huge following in the fandom, perhaps. Somepony who has a noticeable physical disability, or possibly even a mental one to go along with it.

I think you all know of whom I speak:

Flufflepuff, of course.

fluffle_puff_by_mixermike622-d4l5y4r.png

Edited by The Thrashy One