Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Scootaloo fly or be disabled?

pinkiefan1287

Fly or Disable   

259 users have voted

1. 1. Should Scootaloo fly or be Disabled?

• Have her fly
    • Have her unable to fly

i don't see the big deal, she should fly with her hero. She has been a cripple for far too long, not that there is anything wrong with that...just throw the poor girl a bone!

Well....Wasn't she seen flying for a brief moment at the beginning of the episode Cutie Mark Chronicles? Like when they were talking about who to go talk to, and she's seen flying for a second or two.

http://youtu.be/nneFVEsKzLs

At about 1:20 it shows her zipping through the air!

Soo...I think she can already fly sometimes, but it might be hard or something.

Look again. Scootaloo is not flying at all in that part. She is just skimming on the ground. It's the same method that she use's to move her scooter. Her feet don't even leave the group.

How i see it, is i hope she flys in the end. It pretty much tells people that life is hard, but if you try hard enough and stay focused, you can succeed. But keeping her disabled just tells people "No matter how hard you try, you will always fail".

So, i hope that she does eventually fly :P If not, than its a bad message being sent out

How i see it, is i hope she flys in the end. It pretty much tells people that life is hard, but if you try hard enough and stay focused, you can succeed. But keeping her disabled just tells people "No matter how hard you try, you will always fail".

So, i hope that she does eventually fly tongue.png If not, than its a bad message being sent out

That bit really makes me get offended. Just because your disabled doesn't mean you can't do it-you just need to work harder to prove that you can, even if the way you do so isn't by you alone.

I mean-doctors lied to me about lots of things. I have a disability:I can't speak right. But do you know what they said? They said I would be slow, that I would never be like my peers. This stemmed from being born small and my speech impediment. 

Do you know what?

I learned to read, something they said I would never do.I can comprehend English, do math and the like. Even if I'm not good at it, like I'm not great in math, I could still do so. I'm smart-smarter then those who didn't have what I have. I done what they say is "impossible." Why can't Scootaloo? She doesn't even need her wings to really fly. What if there were other ways?

I'm not trying to be mean, I just felt that what you stated was really offensive.

Edited by Scootadress

So, i hope that she does eventually fly tongue.png If not, than its a bad message being sent out

Is it a bad message to show that permanent disabilities exist and can't be waved away with effort? 

If a kid is color blind, is it a bad message to show how they can handle it rather than giving them the ability to tell the difference between red and green as a reward for "hard work"?

Yeah, having disabilities? Tends to make things harder. It's not fair. Sometimes trying hard and staying focused can't fix the fact that you are, say, paralyzed from the waist down.

But disabilities happen, whether they make a cheery moral or not. 

And to me, the better moral is one that acknowledges this and tells kids that Scootaloo can still have a happy and fulfilling life despite being disabled.

• Brohoof 5

What i posted is NOT offensive at all LMFAO!!

Really? so being disabled and believeing your useless and have no hope in being the  best you can be? weird LOL!

If Scootaloo flew, that would prove that, even with a disablity, you can do so much and if you try hard enough you can overcome anything. But If you all enjoy seeing people be depressed and do not want them to be the best they can be and over come their disablities them im shocked and offended that you even consider yourselves human!

Im done, really.. what i said is by no means offensive, not sure how it was even considered as such :/ no really, stop doing whatever.. but my point is, belive in something and achive it, or give up and do nothing

What i posted is NOT offensive at all LMFAO!!

Really? so being disabled and believeing your useless and have no hope in being the  best you can be? weird LOL!

If Scootaloo flew, that would prove that, even with a disablity, you can do so much and if you try hard enough you can overcome anything. But If you all enjoy seeing people be depressed and do not want them to be the best they can be and over come their disablities them im shocked and offended that you even consider yourselves human!

Im done, really.. what i said is by no means offensive, not sure how it was even considered as such :/ no really, stop doing whatever.. but my point is, belive in something and achive it, or give up and do nothing

How is being disabled being useless? How can you equate not having the ability to do something as easy as another person to being useless? That's just downright wrong for anyone to say. Some of the most famous people out there are disabled. Are they useless? They achieved so much with what they had, they never gave up. Why should it set anyone back? 

Shit doesn't happen the way people want it to. You can still believe and achieve something, even with a disability. 

I'm kind of shocked that you can consider yourself human. You basically just said that people with disabilities are useless, and that if they have any, they can't achieve shit. How is that human?

How is being disabled being useless? How can you equate not having the ability to do something as easy as another person to being useless? That's just downright wrong for anyone to say. Some of the most famous people out there are disabled. Are they useless? They achieved so much with what they had, they never gave up. Why should it set anyone back? 

Shit doesn't happen the way people want it to. You can still believe and achieve something, even with a disability. 

I'm kind of shocked that you can consider yourself human. You basically just said that people with disabilities are useless, and that if they have any, they can't achieve shit. How is that human?

you said the exact same thing as i did just there.. So we're both on the same page buddy. Being disabled is just a hinder, not the end of the world..

you said the exact same thing as i did just there.. So we're both on the same page buddy. Being disabled is just a hinder, not the end of the world..

You said it was useless. I never stated having a disability was useless. She's great as is. She would probably work harder to achieve the same thing, but that never equates to useless. Yeah, I state that her "wings might be useless." but even so, she doesn't need the ability to fly on her own, even if she can't use her wings naturally despite it, there are always other ways. Pinkie Pie has other ways, why not her? 

You didn't call it a hinder, you stated that "

No matter how hard you try, you will always fail".
" Direct quote. I never called a person with a disability useless. " 

You need to reword that if your going to call it a hinder. That's not what you implied.

You said it was useless. I never stated having a disability was useless. She's great as is. She would probably work harder to achieve the same thing, but that never equates to useless. Yeah, I state that her "wings might be useless." but even so, she doesn't need the ability to fly on her own, even if she can't use her wings naturally despite it, there are always other ways. Pinkie Pie has other ways, why not her? 

You didn't call it a hinder, you stated that "

" Direct quote. I never called a person with a disability useless. " 

You need to reword that if your going to call it a hinder. That's not what you implied.

I was saying that could be a message that people will see if she tries but fails and never flies. Its like all that work was pointless in the end. Given she did/will get friends from it, but fact is she never got to fly.. the one thing she wanted  the most

I was saying that could be a message that people will see if she tries but fails and never flies. Its like all that work was pointless in the end. Given she did/will get friends from it, but fact is she never got to fly.. the one thing she wanted  the most

that's ridiculous  there are people in wheelchairs who run in the paralympics.. scots might be able to fly but not using her wings.

Or if she cant fly at all but she compensates for it.

and it dosnt mean shes not disabled .

I dont think she should be able to fly and please don't  give me the its a kids show excuse even sesame street and  teletubbies, arthur,blues clues,maya and miguel, bunky brewster, shake it up  and other shows dealt with or mentioned disability. It would make the show ever more popular then it already is and be an inspiration for all kids shows to come. They could be a legend.  

But if they think they could use this to make up after what happened to derpy or  make people forget about it  and quiet the fans they are sadly mistaken.  

Edited by derpflutterbrony

• 3 months later...

Personally I hope they stick to Lauren Faust's original intention that she can never fly but it's okay because she's great at riding her scooter. They can do an episode addressing it and it's the one where she gets her cutie mark. :D What do you guys think? :)

It would be a very powerful character arc resolution, especially for the intended audience (young girls, in case we've forgotten). Eventually you will be capable of doing what you want to do, what you were meant to do. It just takes patience. So it's Hasbro's most likely conclusion. The other way is just as good though, and teaches a different lesson. Even if you can't do what you expect you should be able to do, you're still awesome and capable of contributing. It's a bit more subtle, so less likely.

• Brohoof 1

It's a toss-up for me.

I think it'd be unique to make Scootaloo completely disabled when it comes to flying because that makes her unique.

Then again, I think it'd be interesting if it turned out that Sweetie Bell was disabled in her magic abilities (being horrible at it) and AppleBloom was disabled in her apple-bucking abilities (being horrible at it).

I feel that the 3 all have "disabilities" in the sense that their natural instincts such as flying or magic will never come to be.

I would prefer Scootaloo not being able to fly because like I said, it'd make her one of the most unique characters on the entire show.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, ever since my last posts in this topic...

I really see them going with this in the end. The way "Flight to the Finish" was presented, it seemed like they're already warming up everypony to the fact that Scootaloo can't fly right now and obviously has some sort of disability.

Now, this might just be a learning disability where she needs to really put extra effort into learning to fly, or it could be that she really can't fly. At this point, it's a toss up, as Scootaloo is still just a foal and we really don't know what they're aiming for with her character.

Scootaloo is not disabled because she can flap her wings enough to hove for a bit. I hope she gets better at flying by the end of season 4.

Scootaloo is not disabled because she can flap her wings enough to hove for a bit. I hope she gets better at flying by the end of season 4.

Just because she can flap her wings and hover does not mean she's not disabled . He mussules could be weak but not paralized.

I think they could make it work by her having a low magic capicty. Where she can't absorb enough magic at one time to be able to fly because her body can't prossecs it.

Or maybe since her special talent is scoter tricks mabye she is such a genius at it but her magic is overflowing so much and is so specielizrd in that area thsy are not adapted to fly

(edited)

Ok this is a pretty interesting topic, so i'm going to put my 2 cents here.

Scootaloo is easily without question the most "mysterious" cutie mark crusader for a number of reasons. 

1. We know Apple Bloom is apart of the Apple Family residing at Sweet Apple Acres and Sweetie Belle is the daughter of Magnum and Hairspray, sister of Rarity, and resides at Carousel Boutique. We do not in any capacity know who Scootaloo resides or who she resides with.

2. Applebloom is an earth pony who has shown some type of strength usually shown by earth ponies (with their hooves being the prime spot their magic resides in) and Sweetie Belle is a unicorn who has shown the able use of magic (with their horn being the prime spot their magic resides in), but Scootaloo is a pegasus who has shown almost no able use to fly while other fillys her same age and younger have. 

3. Like i said above we know where both Applebloom and Sweetie Belle reside but with Scootaloo we have seen nothing but what appears to be a small (compared to her other friends rooms) and dull room. (see: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/348/8/9/mlp_spoilers__scootaloo_s_room_by_bdgs-d6xx3vj.png )

Now these three factors make her, arguably, the most popular Cutie Mark Crusader and i just don't see this issue (much like with their cutie marks) being addressed until the final season or even a season finale/premiere (not this one though obviously). It would make a very good lesson and at the same time reveal a very big issue thats been bugging me and many others in the fandom about Scootaloo's ability to fly/place of residence/family. I personally think a CMC driven finale/premiere about Scoots 3 big questions and CMC's cutie marks in general is very likely and could be the best (and most emotional) finale/premiere since Return of Harmony. 

Edited by little gamie

i want Scootaloo to fly, but i think, as some people have said that, if she is disabled, it would add to her character.