Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Scootaloo fly or be disabled?

pinkiefan1287

Fly or Disable   

259 users have voted

1. 1. Should Scootaloo fly or be Disabled?

• Have her fly
    • Have her unable to fly

I hadn't thought of Twilight having a role in this, but it totally makes sense now. A few pages ago in this thread I suggested that Fluttershy be the one to give Scootaloo some emotional support since Fluttershy could not fly when she was Scoot's age. But now that Twilight has wings that she doesn't know how to use, I think she could be a part of Scootaloo's training too.

If they do decide to go the "Scootaloo can fly eventually" route, then the episode where she learns could teach a lesson about how all that glitters is not gold, and things don't always go the way you plan. Scootaloo adores Rainbow Dash. She would be thrilled to have RD as a flying teacher, But would RD be a good teacher? She has always been a great flyer, so she would have a hard time relating to Scoot's difficulty in learning, and she would probably get frustrated with her student's slow or non-existent progress. They might even have a little fight about it. If that happened, I expect that Scoot would be devastated. Twilight and Fluttershy could both be there to support her, give her the easy-going beginners training she needs, and ultimately facilitate her making up with Rainbow.

Rainbow not being the best teacher means many possibilities for a lesson to be learned from such an episode. In fact, that is precisely the reason I think this could work. Rainbow might not be patient. Or she might be hard on Scoots and Twi. Or she could be overly bossy... so many possibilities.

• Brohoof 2

Look at Snowflake, he is so big but has such tiny wing, I would even say the are smaller then Scootaloos, yet he can still fly just fine. So Unless her wings just won't work, then I see no reason why she should not be able to fly.

Then it would be hilarious if  Snowflake got a bigger roll and told Scootaloo that "the size of your wings doesn't matter" or some other motivational message that would get her to begin flying.

Personally, I think there is middle ground we could explore here.

Scootaloo could easily have a condition that, while it wouldn't completely stop her from flying, would greatly limit her ability to do so freely. Think of Scootaloo as Fluttershy, but limited by physical issues rather then confidence ones.

It would be a good chance to show children that sometimes there are just some things in life that no matter how much you want to do you can't and it is very frustrating at times, but that isn't the end of the world. A true friend will accept the fact that you can't do something and try to find a way to include you regardless.

I could see the episode ending with Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo just flying slowly at Scootaloo's pace together, just enjoying each others company.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I think there is middle ground we could explore here.

Scootaloo could easily have a condition that, while it wouldn't completely stop her from flying, would greatly limit her ability to do so freely. Think of Scootaloo as Fluttershy, but limited by physical issues rather then confidence ones.

It would be a good chance to show children that sometimes there are just some things in life that no matter how much you want to do you can't and it is very frustrating at times, but that isn't the end of the world. A true friend will accept the fact that you can't do something and try to find a way to include you regardless.

I could see the episode ending with Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo just flying slowly at Scootaloo's pace together, just enjoying each others company.

Oh, I like this one!

A middle ground could be interesting, as it allows the show to explore the issue but at the same allow wiggle room.

In fact, it could be that she has a condition that just makes it hard for her to fly, maybe weak wing muscles. But then she overcomes it with help from Rainbow Dash.

I also like the angle of Rainbow Dash discovering she has trouble as an actual teacher. Maybe she tries to be a tough coach at first, but discovers that it isn't enough for Scootaloo, and she finds that behind yelling and pushing ponies to try harder, she has difficulty truly teaching someone else due to impatience.

I really like the ideas in this topic, it's awesome.

i think she should be a disabled pony and have a flying machine to help her fly like rainbows pet i forgotten his name but you know 

That would be Tank, my friend.

And yeah, I brought that up earlier. I've already ordered Twilight to start the construction of Scootaloo's new Giant Bat Wings. They should be done by the end of the week.

And I totally told her to put anti-Changeling missiles on them too. Scootaloo's gonna be the coolest Pegasus to ever live!

nice rainbow will be amazed by her awesomeness and oh yer forgot about tank  but he can fly in a episode cant he i saw it on the mlp eposode

Yeah, Tank can fly thanks to that contraption on his back. With her new killer robot bat wings, Scootaloo can fly on Rainbow Dash's right while Tank flies on her left!

Aw yeah, Super Pegasi-Tortoise Action Team Go!

They would be unstoppable thunderbolts naa this team rocks there would be no need for thunderbolts and i swerve the thunderbolts ant any good 

i tried to re crate the scooterloos fly machine from what we talked about what do you think?

i just did it and the colours ant good but is good in my opinion.

Edited by SierraAlphaMikeG
  • Brohoof 1

They would be unstoppable thunderbolts naa this team rocks there would be no need for thunderbolts and i swerve the thunderbolts ant any good 

i tried to re crate the scooterloos fly machine from what we talked about what do you think?

i just did it and the colours ant good but is good in my opinion.

Wow, that's freaking awesome!

I'm super freaking saving that, that's both adorable and bad-flank!

Nothing can stop Scootaloo now!

Glad this conversation could inspire to draw something like that.

It would be epic to see that actually in the show, ha ha, Scootaloo soaring beside Rainbow Dash with her flying machine.

You know, there's no evidence in the show that pegasai fillies Scootaloo's age should be able to fly. So, unlike the "fanon" concept that she's somehow impaired, I think she just needs to get bigger and get more practice in flying.

How many of you rode a bicycle the first time without training wheels? I know I didn't.

I hadn't thought of Twilight having a role in this, but it totally makes sense now. A few pages ago in this thread I suggested that Fluttershy be the one to give Scootaloo some emotional support since Fluttershy could not fly when she was Scoot's age. But now that Twilight has wings that she doesn't know how to use, I think she could be a part of Scootaloo's training too.

If they do decide to go the "Scootaloo can fly eventually" route, then the episode where she learns could teach a lesson about how all that glitters is not gold, and things don't always go the way you plan. Scootaloo adores Rainbow Dash. She would be thrilled to have RD as a flying teacher, But would RD be a good teacher? She has always been a great flyer, so she would have a hard time relating to Scoot's difficulty in learning, and she would probably get frustrated with her student's slow or non-existent progress. They might even have a little fight about it. If that happened, I expect that Scoot would be devastated. Twilight and Fluttershy could both be there to support her, give her the easy-going beginners training she needs, and ultimately facilitate her making up with Rainbow.

I can't see Twilight understanding her pain, considering she CAN fly. Rainbow should NEVER teach ponies. She didn't do wonders for Fluttershy. Scootaloos far far to close to her for THAT pain.

Plus, maybe RD wants to do the same position Scoots wants. Remember the animatics? RD is just as thrilled, remember? Still is. Though, I say its pretty boss if she beats everypony on a SKY scooter damn it.

Posted 4 minutes ago SierraAlphaMikeG, on 29 Oct 2013 - 7:44 PM, said: They would be unstoppable thunderbolts naa this team rocks there would be no need for thunderbolts and i swerve the thunderbolts ant any good  i tried to re crate the scooterloos fly machine from what we talked about what do you think? i just did it and the colours ant good but is good in my opinion.   Wow, that's freaking awesome!   I'm super freaking saving that, that's both adorable and bad-flank!   Nothing can stop Scootaloo now!   Glad this conversation could inspire to draw something like that.   It would be epic to see that actually in the show, ha ha, Scootaloo soaring beside Rainbow Dash with her flying machine.

Thanks believe it or not this was the first time i drew a pony but i did have a image to look at though so don't be h=that pleased

• Brohoof 1

Thanks believe it or not this was the first time i drew a pony but i did have a image to look at though so don't be h=that pleased

Ha ha it's all good!

A lot of folks use references, it's nothing to be too ashamed of. Either way, I still like it and it's the thought that counts.

You know, there's no evidence in the show that pegasai fillies Scootaloo's age should be able to fly. So, unlike the "fanon" concept that she's somehow impaired, I think she just needs to get bigger and get more practice in flying.

How many of you rode a bicycle the first time without training wheels? I know I didn't.

You bet your sweet bippy I did.

And hate to break it to you, but yeah there is ample evidence. In "Cutie Mark Chronicles" there's a bunch of Pegasi foals flying... heck, the episode's main story is Rainbow Dash as a foal racing other foals to defend Fluttershy! And in the stories, the Mane Six are definitely around the ages of the Scootaloo, so there's ample evidence that a Pegasus should be a fairly competent flier by Scootaloo's age.

Ha ha it's all good!

A lot of folks use references, it's nothing to be too ashamed of. Either way, I still like it and it's the thought that counts.

You bet your sweet bippy I did.

And hate to break it to you, but yeah there is ample evidence. In "Cutie Mark Chronicles" there's a bunch of Pegasi foals flying... heck, the episode's main story is Rainbow Dash as a foal racing other foals to defend Fluttershy! And in the stories, the Mane Six are definitely around the ages of the Scootaloo, so there's ample evidence that a Pegasus should be a fairly competent flier by Scootaloo's age.

Actually, if you look a little closer you'll see that all of those colts and fillies were much older than any of the CMC, if their sizes are to be trusted. Just look at how long Fluttershy's legs were! And many of them already had their cutie marks.

Your argument is invalid, sir!

im trying to do another photo i wont give it away but i can guarantee that some one must of all ready done it and do u have any suggestions on what i could draw im posting it on my chat form thing i made becuse this isnot the right place for it

Actually, if you look a little closer you'll see that all of those colts and fillies were much older than any of the CMC, if their sizes are to be trusted. Just look at how long Fluttershy's legs were! And many of them already had their cutie marks.

Your argument is invalid, sir!

Actually, that makes no sense. They were around the same age as the Cutie Mark Crusaders in those stories, although they weren't all the same age since we do know that Fluttershy is apparently a year old than Pinkie Pie due to a line in "Boast Busters".

Remember that the Cutie Mark Crusaders are around the age where foals typically get their marks. The Mane Six were all around that age in those stories too. Plus, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and Applejack were all clearly around the same size as the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Fluttershy seemed to be bigger and Pinkie Pie seemed to be smaller than the Cutie Mark Crusaders, but that's probably because they might both be on the older and younger side of the Mane Six, respectively.

Think about it, the Mane Six all got their marks when they were around the Cutie Mark Crusaders' age, and Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, and Twist are around that age too and are all getting their marks.

That's why the Cutie Mark Crusaders are so concerned with getting their marks, because everypony they know who was their age got their mark and they fear they might get their marks late, which is already happening considering everypony in their class but them are not Blank Flanks.

@, As a teacher, I can tell you that it's a fallacy to believe that all children should develop/learn at the same rate. And no, you haven't given any convincing evidence to the contrary of what I said, because the bodies of the fillies and colts in that story are bigger and more flight-capable than Scootaloo's, not to mention they were at a school dedicated to teaching young pegasai how to fly. Obviously Scootaloo hasn't had the same kind of training in Ponyville's Earth Pony schoolhouse. 

With a little tutoring, and a little effort, I'm sure Scootaloo would be able to fly just fine.

And notice that none of the adults seem worried about Scootaloo, however if she were handicapped in some way, they would definitely mention it. Either way, we'll have to wait and see.

@, As a teacher, I can tell you that it's a fallacy to believe that all children should develop/learn at the same rate. And no, you haven't given any convincing evidence to the contrary of what I said, because the bodies of the fillies and colts in that story are bigger and more flight-capable than Scootaloo's, not to mention they were at a school dedicated to teaching young pegasai how to fly. Obviously Scootaloo hasn't had the same kind of training in Ponyville's Earth Pony schoolhouse. 

With a little tutoring, and a little effort, I'm sure Scootaloo would be able to fly just fine.

And notice that none of the adults seem worried about Scootaloo, however if she were handicapped in some way, they would definitely mention it. Either way, we'll have to wait and see.

Well, no. I mean, if they knew that respectively, they wouldn't really need to mention it. There wasn't many times where they needed to mention her handicap. I mean, I have a handicap and NO adults typically complain or speak of it much. I mean, I have really bad problems with words, and I have to constantly repeat myself. They don't mention rrepeatedly that so and so does. In fact, they purposely put me in positions that REQUIRE better skills. They still doc points if you can't do something. Still. I doubt they would NEED to say it.

Eh... I wasn't saying that I believed that all children should develop and learn at the same rate, just that the Cutie Mark Crusaders are crusading just because of that. They were told and taught by their society and peers that getting cutie marks around their age is normal and that being a Blank Flank after a certain point is odd, so don't blame me, blame Equestrian culture.

I don't have to give all this evidence you seek, there's a whole episode showing exactly what I'm saying. You're bucking the trend and saying that the Mane Six were older when they got their cutie marks, when most people are in agreement that the Mane Six were around the Cutie Mark crusaders age, give or take a few months since I doubt the Mane Six are all exactly the same age down to a day and month. And I'm just going to leave you with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrecC4YNdU8

That's "Cutie Mark Chronicles". Here's a tidbit from not that far in:

Applejack: Apple Bloom?

Apple Bloom: Hey sis! How'd you get your cutie mark?

Applejack: I never told you that story?

Scootaloo: Hey! I thought we were gonna ask Rainbow Dash?

Apple Bloom: We need all the help we can get.

Scootaloo: Ugh. Fine.

Applejack: Why, shoot. I was just a little filly. EVEN LITTLER THAN Y'ALL.

Applejack was younger than them when she got hers. Meaning that Mane Six were either all younger or a little older than the Cutie Mark Crusaders when they got their marks.

Plus, I really don't see what you mean about the sizes thing, that's just silly. Fluttershy obviously looks bigger, but Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie look smaller than the Cutie Mark Crusaders while Twilight, Applejack, and Rarity look about the same size.

I'm not trying to attack you with all this, but I just don't think your argument holds any water at all.

And about not being able to fly at Scootaloo's age...

Sorry, but they were all either younger, the same age, or a little older than Scootaloo in those stories. I'm pretty sure most Pegasi foals can fly around Scootaloo's age, there's more evidence for that theory than there is against it. Do you have evidence for me that Scootaloo is developing fine?

Rainbow and Fluttershy seem to be older in body, though. We're talking about a physical thing, not a knowledge or "realization" thing like discovering your special talent.

And the adults would have mentioned it because of how often the CMC complain about how they don't have their Cutie Marks yet. They wouldn't say "just let it happen" they would say "get on it you lazy bums, you should have your cutie marks by now!!" (not necessarily in those words, lol). Nopony shows any concern at all, and in a TV show, you HAVE TO BE OBVIOUS!!! If it isn't obvious, as in stated outright, then you're imagining it.

I won't consider Scoots to be disabled/handicapped/unable to fly until somepony  in the show says so, outright.

And I won't consider her to be the same age as RBD or Fluttershy until her body looks somewhat like theirs did when the first Rainboom happened. Right now she just looks like a carbon copy of Sweetie Belle or Apple Bloom with different colors and manestyle.

Pruzah sul, gentlement.

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow and Fluttershy seem to be older in body, though. We're talking about a physical thing, not a knowledge or "realization" thing like discovering your special talent.

And the adults would have mentioned it because of how often the CMC complain about how they don't have their Cutie Marks yet. They wouldn't say "just let it happen" they would say "get on it you lazy bums, you should have your cutie marks by now!!" (not necessarily in those words, lol). Nopony shows any concern at all, and in a TV show, you HAVE TO BE OBVIOUS!!! If it isn't obvious, as in stated outright, then you're imagining it.

I won't consider Scoots to be disabled/handicapped/unable to fly until somepony  in the show says so, outright.

And I won't consider her to be the same age as RBD or Fluttershy until her body looks somewhat like theirs did when the first Rainboom happened. Right now she just looks like a carbon copy of Sweetie Belle or Apple Bloom with different colors and manestyle.

Pruzah sul, gentlement.

Well, didn't the adults state that they should wait, not complain? They would rather wait until they figure it out or they would have easily told them. Twilight could have easily said: APPLE BLOOM, YOUR CARPENTRY, SWEETIE START SINGING AND SCOOT DO THE DANCING. They just don't /need/ to. Its kinda implied, which makes it more magical then ever.

Just imagine a world where they KNOW your disabled but just don't give a fuck. I wish they did that here. Seriously. So what if you can't naturally fly? There are OTHER ways. You shouldn't necessarily need outright indication. Remember how people used to say AJ's parents aire dead but they said otherwise until the new Apple Jack eepisode? In the Apple Family Reunion episode, the parents aren't there, but you DO get a glimpse of shooting stars. I think it could be implied Scootaloo can't fly due to a disablilty. In real life, to be honest, how many point out disabilities unless its needed? Maybe its not rare for some pegasi to not fly.

Just imagine a world where they KNOW your disabled but just don't give a fuck. I wish they did that here. Seriously. So what if you can't naturally fly? There are OTHER ways. You shouldn't necessarily need outright indication. Remember how people used to say AJ's parents aire dead but they said otherwise until the new Apple Jack eepisode? In the Apple Family Reunion episode, the parents aren't there, but you DO get a glimpse of shooting stars. I think it could be implied Scootaloo can't fly due to a disablilty. In real life, to be honest, how many point out disabilities unless its needed? Maybe its not rare for some pegasi to not fly. 

Argh, yes that's a great ideal to aim for, and it sounds great in fanfiction, but in a TV show, it's simply NOT REALISTIC!!!! I don't know how many times I've said this, but this is a show for young children, they're not going to be putting in stuff that subtle. If someone has a disability, you'll know it because someone will have said it. Anything else is idle conjecture.

Scootaloo is obviously not disabled. Look at her scooter around, for heavens' sake! She simply hasn't had the right sort of instruction in how to fly (and she may have a less-than-wholesome family environment, but as I said that would be conjecture because it hasn't been stated).

And BTW that one massive pegasus, don't remember his name but the muscley guy? He has tiny wings and can fly, so why couldn't Scootaloo?

Edited by websterhamster

Argh, yes that's a great ideal to aim for, and it sounds great in fanfiction, but in a TV show, it's simply NOT REALISTIC!!!! I don't know how many times I've said this, but this is a show for young children, they're not going to be putting in stuff that subtle. If someone has a disability, you'll know it because someone will have said it. Anything else is idle conjecture.

Scootaloo is obviously not disabled. Look at her scooter around, for heavens' sake! She simply hasn't had the right sort of instruction in how to fly (and she may have a less-than-wholesome family environment, but as I said that would be conjecture because it hasn't been stated).

And BTW that one massive pegasus, don't remember his name but the muscley guy? He has tiny wings and can fly, so why couldn't Scootaloo?

Well, believe me, its MY reality. I'm sorry, sir. I'm not lying when I state that /no body cares/ that I can't speak right. Unless I mess up clearly and they can't even translate or hear, then they say SOMETHING, but they don't mention it. Unless they, in turn, are kinda..yeah. There was only ONE time that I recall that people brought it up, and when they did, they were already pretty much jerks.Out of experience, I never was made fun of for it. Not really, and when I was, it came from some psycho stalking autistic girl. (No offense to Autistic people-but but when you ride around for someone's house at night, your crazy. I didn't invite said person.) I don't doubt they said nothing. Off screen maybe?

Also, your looking at a primarily earth pony/unicorn school.

Well, its not wing power that lifts a pony. Its the magic they have. Snowflake probably has lots. Winter Wrap Up explained that pegasi use magic to fly, that they have this special way to use the magic to their advantage. This is how they stay on clouds.

Edited by Scootadress

Pruzah sul, gentlement.

I...

Really don't have much to say to you. You think because this is a cartoon they have to outright say something to our faces like we're idiots for the audience to get it, that's simply not true.

When it's been shown that Pegasi who are smaller than Scootaloo and slightly bigger than her can fly, and it's been shown that Rainbow Dash, who to me looked smaller than Scootaloo in "Cutie Mark Chronicles" can fly as well, I think I can safely say that either Scootaloo is a late bloomer when it comes to flying, just like her special talent, or she has a disability.

Now, I'm arguing all this without even revealing a spoiler about Season Four that was shown in animatics that pretty much proves which direction their taking this whole Scootaloo flying thing, but I won't pop it considering that you might not want to be spoiled.

• Brohoof 1