Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Scootaloo fly or be disabled?

pinkiefan1287

Fly or Disable   

259 users have voted

1. 1. Should Scootaloo fly or be Disabled?

• Have her fly
    • Have her unable to fly

I'd like to see her disabled. It would add a lot to her character, and not being able fly with Dash might even improve her relationship with her. Actually, an episode on her disability and how it affects her and Dash alike would be great. :)

Yes!  Having an important character that is disabled as inspiration to children who are disabled as well!

It will be a beautiful addition to MLP.  A sad addition to the happy world. 

And they could have this line as well:

'You don't need wings to fly'

Being unable to fly would be, I admit, a pretty good inspiration to other children.

But I put that she should be able to fly because otherwise I would just cry.

I think she should fly and then run into some big disaster LATER that ruins her wings and disables her. Besides, I'd like to see how sweet Rainbow Dash can REALLY be.

I'm quite happy to go either way here. I don't see the great appeal in making her disabled just because someone in the past had possibly intended on her being so. Until it has happens in the show, nobody has any right to say she's supposed to be.

I do however see decent episodes coming out of her being disabled though with some touching moments which I do fully approve of. I could say the same about her learning to fly too.

It's not like she'll just magically get wings or something so it's no big deal if she flies (to me at least).

I'm assuming that all of the 'teaching to fly' screen time will now go to Twilight though so Scoots might miss out on that cute scene with RD. Shame that.

Edited by Greenlitsky

Scootaloo, being my favorite pony, needs to fly in my opinion. She doesn't have her cutie mark, either, so I think she should learn to fly the same time she gets her cutie mark, or she gets her cutie mark because of her ability to fly.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

[This post is hidden. No offense to anyone, but I am no longer part of the community and no longer wish to be an (active) part of the forums. I treasure the friendships I made along the way. Thank you!]

Edited by CadetGrey
Old comment.
  • Brohoof 4

I personally think she should be able to fly. I mean, she is being taught by Rainbow Dash afterall. But I can agree to it happening when she really needs to.

I don't care if she ever flies or not but I would like to see an explanation of why she can't yet. Did I miss something? Did the show ever explain why she can't? In the flashback episodes we see the other ponies flying at a young age. And the Pegasus Cake baby can fly. I remember Fluttershy had trouble flying in the Cutie Mark Chronicles, so in the episode where Scootalloo's lack of flight is addressed I think I would like Fluttershy to give her some guidance on dealing with it.

Well, just like every other character on the show, they all have to go through one important thing, character development.

As for scootaloo, notice how every time the series moves on, she gets slightly better at flying or at least to hover in the air.

She should, however, I have to say that not yet though... maybe there's a specific reason why she can't fly just yet... 

@@CadetGrey,

A very good topic of discussion :). However, we already happened to have a thread dedicated to sharing our opinions on the subject, so for convenience I have merged your thread with the older one. In the future, please take the time to use our search feature before creating a thread to make sure that there aren't duplicates :)

• Brohoof 1

I like happy endings, so I'd prefer that she is able to fly.

But I can also see the value in an episode where she is confronted with this problem (coming out of denial, maybe?) and has to face the reality that she will never fly. I'd like to see this making an episode about the value of your friends in helping you deal with something that can't be avoided.

• Brohoof 1

While it will be heart breaking to see Scootaloo accept her disability, it won't necessarily end up a sad story. It'll actually be triumphant when she makes up for her lack of flight with scooting and off-the-chain dancing.

• 5 months later...

Scootaloo needs to not be able to fly. There is enough of overcoming obstacles in the show. It isn't realistic. Some things you can't overcome. Scootaloo being able to fly wouldn't be a disservice to the show, it would be a disservice to disabled people and even the art of writing as a whole. Scootaloo has the potential to be the best disabled character in cartoon history. She would be the strongest an sassiest disabled character ever. Her flying because the writers think disability is too dark for the show (which is the only realistic reason I see it happening) would be a cop out. Scootaloo NEEDS to be grounded. We need a disabled character in something that isn't a complacent sheep, a pity party, a walking fact and stereotype sheet about that disability that serves no other purpose, or worst of all a self hating drunk. Scootaloo needs this. If she doesn't fly she will be the best character in the show bar none. If MLP:FiM gives us bronies some fan service and deeper tones this next season. Please let it be a disabled scootaloo. The storyboards from season 4 give us some insight into this. It could be executed flawlessly from what I saw. And let's be honest, scooter tricks are cooler and more fun than being a weak flyer all your life (which she would inevitably be).

• Brohoof 2

i think the reason why she cant fly yet is similar to why sweetie bell cant use magic yet, they just haven't discovered their destiny a.k.a their cutie marks yet i think when scoot will fly thats when she gets her cutie mark

Yes and no, however I'd prefer her not being able to fly.

That would just make a much stronger character that you could relate too easier. I'd like to see her overcome her challenges of not being capable of flight.

They could also just hold-out on it until some massive finale where she just randomly is strong enough to fly now, but keep her disabled as of now.  

• Brohoof 1

Eh, I'm not sure I'd be willing to say that I WANT Scootaloo to be disabled, but I think it would add more to her character like you said. I think having to deal with and overcome that flaw would make for a very emotional episode or series of episodes, and I think it would make the dynamic between her and Rainbow Dash all that much better.

and you nailed it.

I'd sound like a ghoul asking for one of the cmc to be crippled.

On the other hand, the idea is interesting.

It opens the door to something where i won't have to constantly here "well it's not that kind of show."

Does that mean the equestrian games will have a "special" event?

And i noticed someone suggested when they making alicorns their making one for "every little girl."

Could you imagine a Alicorn that couldn't fly?

I kinda love that idea, because that would be the most interesting one (and no pointing out alicorns that can't fly are called unicorns).

Edited by FNGRpony
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think she should be completely disabled, especially forever (poor Scoots!), but maybe developing her flying skills more and more with RD, or simply practicing. It would be great to see her trying to work on it. Remember, some great people from the past were disabled and still good in what they did.

Go, Scootaloo, GO! <3

I personally think it would be more interesting if she doesn't fly in the future. Maybe glide but not anything beyond that.

It would be an interesting addition to her character if she knows she can't fly but moves on anyway. I can see why people want her to fly with Rainbow Dash but I kind of just thought that's the cliche way out and we could see Scootaloo being able to fly way before she learns to finally do it.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't want her to get her wings any time soon, but if we'd get to see her and Rainbow Dash actually work on her flying ability then I would be fine with her being able to fly. I'd actually be interested in the CMC actually fulfilling their destiny eventually, but that'd be the kind of the thing to wrap the show up with, so, as I said, not any time soon.

So I was just wondering what peoples thought on with Scootaloo now that Rainbow Dash has taken her under her wing.

Should Scottaloo be allowed to fly in season 4 or should they go with the disabled route?

If you ask me, I think they should keep her disabled. It would make her a little bit more interesting and it would be nice if there was something that really set her and Rainbow Dash apart from each other. Not to mention Scootaloo could become very inspirational to kids who have disabilities and show them that they can live a fun life, even if you have a disability. Maybe she could even find another way to fly. Like how Tank use's that helicopter hat.

So what do you all think? Why do you think she should fly or not?

This is the EXACT reason I think they should keep her disabled and believe/hope that this was the episode Meghan teased dealing with disability as that subject has been horribly neglected for a show that's supposed to increase self-esteem for its originally intended demographic.

I love Scootaloo and I think that this would also give her more character depth, plus we could have another Scootalove moment with Dash cheering her up, saying she doesn't care if Scoots can't fly-and she'll still act like her big sister anyway.

• Brohoof 3

and you nailed it.

I'd sound like a ghoul asking for one of the cmc to be crippled.

On the other hand, the idea is interesting.

It opens the door to something where i won't have to constantly here "well it's not that kind of show."

Does that mean the equestrian games will have a "special" event?

And i noticed someone suggested when they making alicorns their making one for "every little girl."

Could you imagine a Alicorn that couldn't fly?

I kinda love that idea, because that would be the most interesting one (and no pointing out alicorns that can't fly are called unicorns).

Yeah, that was my point exactly. I don't really feel comfortable being all like "Sure thing, let's have Scootaloo never fly!", but at the same time it would be interesting.

We'll see what happens, though. If I remember correctly, there supposed to be an episode about this very subject in Season Four, so we might get an official answer to this. We know right now Scootaloo can't fly, but as for whether it's just because she's a slow learner or she really is underdeveloped we'll just have to see.

It would be great to see her take flight with rainbow dash but it wouldn't matter to me if they made her unable to fly, would be another reason for me to like her even more then I already, overcoming a disability and making the best out of it would, in my opinion, make her the best character by far

• Brohoof 1

I think Scootaloo should be able to learn to fly. I strongly think that she will learn sometime in the next season, if the sneak peek is anything to go by... I don't see the harm in Scoots learning to fly, and I don't see her earning her cutie mark because of it...

I think Scootaloo should be able to learn to fly. I strongly think that she will learn sometime in the next season, if the sneak peek is anything to go by... I don't see the harm in Scoots learning to fly, and I don't see her earning her cutie mark because of it...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, that the sneak peek kinda shows that this very issue is actually going to be touched on next season.

So I guess we'll all find out what direction they take it in. Either that, or they'll just keep leaving it ambiguous. Also makes me wonder if we'll actually get to meet Scootaloo's parents as well.