Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's wrong with One Bad Apple's moral?

Pony Of The Month

I'm lucky enough to not have too many experiences with bullying, so maybe I'm missing something. What's so bad about the moral of one bad apple? I really want to hear from people who don't like it. I want to know why you don't like it.

To me, the cmc learned that 2 wrongs don't make a right. That sounds like a good moral to me.

In my eyes, the episode was perfect, and it was one of my favorites of season 3. Remember, this is coming from someone with very little experience with bullying, so I could definitely be missing something.

Is it because Babs wasn't punished? To me, she learned her lesson, so she no longer needed to be punished.

Does it have something to do with your own bullying experiences? I hope I don't sound insensitive here, and I apologize if I do, but do you not like the episode because it doesn't match your experiences? 

The people who like this episode like it because they can relate to it. Do you not like it because you can't relate to it?

I think it would have been much worse if the cmc had gotten away with their revenge scheme without learning anything at the end. I think everyone can agree with that.

I hope none of this sounds insensitive. I just want to understand what people found so wrong about the moral.

• Brohoof 4

I didn't see a bad moral. It was basically don't judge someone because of what's on the outside. You don't know what's going on in there life until you ask and see what can happen. If someone is bullying you, tell someone and get it straightened out. At least that's my view on it. What I think people have a problem with is that it goes from Babs being a total jerk to them, the CMC getting back, then learning Babs was only bullying to prevent being bullied herself, then saving her and forgiving her on the spot. 

My response to the moral: Good. It's how it should be. I know what it's like in both situations and when people asked why, I told them. Things went better because of an understanding we had.

My response to those who think it was bad: Forgiveness isn't bad. It touched on many problems kids go through in school with bullying. Being a snitch or "tattle-tale" are demoralizing for a kid. It means that you aren't cool, which is everything to a child in school. It means that they are a threat to all bullies, and they put you down for it, making it be a bad thing. The CMC are picked on specifically because they don't have CMs. Babs is the same way. It's so bad for her that she hides her flank so she doesn't get picked on about it. We see that in the beginning of the episode and when she's at the clubhouse with Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara. It's a mutual understanding of what the other is going through that makes them forgive so easily.

• Brohoof 1

I don't see anything wrong with it, One Bad Apple was a good episode. I have experienced both sides of the bullying problem both as victim and perpetrator, in middle and high school I went through bullying and responded with threats, intimidation and in some cases even violence, I made people fear me so they would leave me alone and in some cases it worked but as they say "be careful what you wish for." I make no excuses for what I did, it was wrong and once the cutie mark crusaders realized that Bab's was bullied they realized they were wrong for trying to stoop to her level and when they showed Bab's kindness even with all the cruelty she showed them she realized that what she did was wrong.

• Brohoof 2

There is no bad moral. Whoever told you that they had a bad moral is...wrong. 

Like to said, the CMC learned that two wrongs don't make a phoenix wright.

The moral of the episode is a good. Great even. There's nothing wrong with it.

However.

It probably would have been hit home harder if it was AJ (i.e. a trusted adult) who was the one to tell the bullies off. And it's weird that an episode about why someone would become a bully makes the two bully characters on the show even more 2 dimensional.

Edited by CITRUS KING46

The moral's good.

Here's the thing I might have a problem with.  It would've been bad to get Babs knocked into the mud because she was only being a bully because she was emotionally hurt.  At the end, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon fall in the mud.  For all we know, they're emotionally hurt too!

Or they could just be shallow, unredeemable characters. What do I know?

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say that the moral is bad.

I guess the thing is, don't judge anyone on the outside. Babs was judged back in Manehattan, and that's why she decided to be a bully and stop being bullied instead.

"CRYING IS FOR THE WEAK! EVERYTHING CAN BE SOLVED WITH DEATH!

Also, if you tell your elder relative the issue then they will do it while you sit back and enjoy the view!

:P

Eh. I dunno. I saw nothing wrong with the lesson at all, apart from it's overdone and never works because of the way an average child's mind works.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the lesson in "One Bad Apple" and I rather enjoyed that episode. I think the lesson is that two wrongs don't make a right, and to teach kids that if they see bullying to tell an adult. Plus the episode introduced Babs Seed and it's canon that there is a second Cutie Mark Crusaders group and there could be a cross over episode.

• Brohoof 1

I thought One Bad Apple was a great episode

I even bought the episode

Whoever said the moral isn't good is (no offense) wrong. It's saying what pretty much is a good lesson that two wrongs don't make a right and that you should always ask and adult for help if something is going wrong.

I mean that's a great lesson to teach.

I don't get why people thought this episode was bad.

Okay if you where to give me a reasonable explanation as to why it was bad, then I would listen.

Until then I don't understand

IMHO, I think a lot of people are bothered by Babs not "paying" in some way for the bad things she did. It's such a standard in cartoons and storytelling in general that Karma has to be followed. Someone did something bad, they must be punished for it somehow. And it's so widespread and common that when it doesn't happen, it can really throw people for a loop.

It's weird, because while they avoided punishing Babs, they played it straight with Diamond and Silver Spoon. Those two were punished in the end by falling in the mud, even though they had to shove it in at the last second.

The moral's good.

Here's the thing I might have a problem with.  It would've been bad to get Babs knocked into the mud because she was only being a bully because she was emotionally hurt.  At the end, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon fall in the mud.  For all we know, they're emotionally hurt too!

Or they could just be shallow, unredeemable characters. What do I know?

A good thought here on Diamond and Sliver. I think it would have made a much better ending if the CMC's had started to wonder why those two are bullies. Would have been a great way to set up a future episode where that idea is explored.

• Brohoof 1

I only have a few problems with the episode is that Babs does not really show remorse or regret for what she does... I think it would be more realistic if she came to the CMC after Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon left and apologized to them. I also think that Applejack should have payed closer attention to the situation at hand. I feel like Applejack should have said something to the CMC before Babs came to prepare them in case this event occurs.  

~Nayru

You know, FatPat, that's actually something I've noticed as well. Villains or bullies not paying for what they do seems to bother people immensely, as everyone seems to want guided Karmic missiles to strike anyone who does even the slightest thing wrong. I'm rather pleased that that doesn't always happen, however.

Regardless, I love One Bad Apple, so I don't really understand any kind of hate it gets. However, as Pryme said, I think that would be the main reason some people dislike it; it fits that classic bully episode stereotype, but I personally don't mind it. There are more than a few episodes in every cartoon that follow a certain established formula that a lot of cartoons have.

• Brohoof 1

Am I really the only one who thought that moral was stupid as all hell?

The fact that Babs only bullied the CMCs to avoid being bullied herself could have been good, had they not completely screwed it up near the end.

Babs's actions are never said to be wrong. The episode never says that just because you were bullied doesn't give you the right to bully others. Rather, it is the CMCs who have to "learn a lesson" because they tried to fight back.

And that's the main problem. The CMCs did nothing wrong. They didn't consider Babs's side of the story because it shouldn't bucking matter. Babs's personal circumstances don't give her any right to be a bully, and fighting back against a bully does NOT make you a bully yourself.

Here, watch the part in the episode after the float crashes. Notice how the CMCs are made to eat dirt and pour their hearts out about how "wrong" they were, while Babs gets away with a simple "I'm sorry."

I get that it's trying to be thought-provoking, but it's doing a really crappy job. You can explore backstory all you want, but don't paint the victims as being in the wrong for trying to fight back, and don't use a character's past as a was to say "this makes it okay". That message is stupid, naive, and insulting to actual bullying victims.

/rant

• Brohoof 3

Babs's actions are never said to be wrong. The episode never says that just because you were bullied doesn't give you the right to bully others. Rather, it is the CMCs who have to "learn a lesson" because they tried to fight back.

It is heavily implied that bullying is wrong and that Babs learned her lesson. It doesn't have to be spoken.

And that's the main problem. The CMCs did nothing wrong. They didn't consider Babs's side of the story because it shouldn't bucking matter. Babs's personal circumstances don't give her any right to be a bully, and fighting back against a bully does NOT make you a bully yourself.

Fighting back is a bad idea, especially since they could have killed her. It sounds like you're saying that the episode should have encouraged revenge, which would be terrible. 

• Brohoof 3

There was nothing wrong with the moral. The only part I never liked about the episode was that Babs never showed any sort of emotion when she was hurting her family/friends just to avoid being bullied. She appeared to enjoy it. Just one scene showing that she didn't like what she was doing whilst she was doing it would have made me happier and possibly like her character.

The lesson did also make it come off that the CMC were in the greater wrong, Yes, they shouldn't really have retaliated and definitely not to that extent (but it's a cartoon and it's more amusing like that) but at the end of the day, they were sticking up for themselves. I'm proud of them :P

I've been pretty neutral on the whole bullying aspect of life, never really being bullied beyond the odd verbal insult and definitely not being a bully, mainly just sitting on the sidelines (I do however despise bullying) so I'll probably have a different view on things than people who have experienced it from each side.

I think the episode is a bit strange and like others said cliché with it's moral. 

I think forgiveness is not a bad message, and how they realize revenge is not the way to go.

I'm not bothered that babs doesn't "get what she deserves" either..

But what bothers me about the episode is the instant best friendship after all the bullying, that's not how it should go..it's not a good message to just mindlessly forgive and forget, building up trust should take more time..giving someone the benefit of a doubt is always good, but babs was mean to them, but somehow in the end that doesn't matter to anyone.

Basically this episode says you can treat people however bad you want and it won't matter 1 second later..

You guys are right, obviously right after Babs apologized to the CMC Applejack should've pulled a switch off a tree with her teeth and started wailing Babs right on the flank.

Applejack: That'll learn ya, ya little varmint!

Babs: Please Applejack, I said I was sorry- YEOWCH!

I dunno, but I liked the moral and the episode!

The only reason most people hate on the moral is because, yeah, Babs didn't get punished. I agree with them, I think they should've forgiven Babs and then give her a punishment for what she did. It's only fair, and after all the things she did to them it makes sense.

But I don't think it was a bad moral. It's a good lesson to learn in life! Babs not getting a punishment is really the only reason people started hating on the moral. But I liked the episode and the lesson. :D

(edited)

I also don't think the moral was bad in that episode. It was pretty good actually. 

The thing I don't like about that episode is how Applejack or Granny Smith or Big Mac have no idea what's going on between Babs and CMC, though that's only a minor problem as it actually just fortifies the moral of the episode. Bullying is, after all, quite a problem and nearly all cartoons have shown an episode concerning that, few even centering around that concept.

The only reason most people hate on the moral is because, yeah, Babs didn't get punished. I agree with them, I think they should've forgiven Babs and then give her a punishment for what she did. It's only fair, and after all the things she did to them it makes sense.

I think they didn't punish Babs because of her past. Applejack did mention she had been getting bullied back in Manehattan. And after everything she did to CMC and then regretting it in the end (I actually think she regretted it from the very beginning actually), Applejack thought she had learned her lesson and would never do it again.

Edited by Koori

I think this was a lesson within a lesson. 

Honestly, there were lessons that came back from previous episodes. The first one was "don't jump to conclusions" or "don't let your instincts control your thoughts and make you conclude wrongly." Secondly, don't focus into one little thing. Take a look at the big picture. Babs was rather shy at first, but when she saw Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon nagging on the CMC, she sided with them to rid her insecurities, which is what bullies do. Bullies are simply insecure people who need time to mature and realize what they do isn't right. 

I was bullied in school but I didn't understand why I was being bullied. Once my mom told me that bullies are insecure people trying to get attention, I understood. 

As far as the moral, it isn't bad. It's actually one of the greatest lessons. 

• Brohoof 1

I think the episode is a bit strange and like others said cliché with it's moral. 

I think forgiveness is not a bad message, and how they realize revenge is not the way to go.

I'm not bothered that babs doesn't "get what she deserves" either..

But what bothers me about the episode is the instant best friendship after all the bullying, that's not how it should go..it's not a good message to just mindlessly forgive and forget, building up trust should take more time..giving someone the benefit of a doubt is always good, but babs was mean to them, but somehow in the end that doesn't matter to anyone.

Basically this episode says you can treat people however bad you want and it won't matter 1 second later..

Yes in real life I think they would still be a little weary about her, but it's a 24 min episode, it has to end sometime.  Sometimes things have to be left open ended or rushed through.  Out of all the things they could have rushed through, them instantly liking her is the best one by far, because it actually makes a little sense.  Kids can be very forgiving and have short attention spans, they can't stay mad for very long.  They also wanted nothing more then to be her friend in the beginning, I don't see why they wouldn't jump at the opportunity to do so at the end. 

I think this was a lesson within a lesson. 

Honestly, there were lessons that came back from previous episodes. The first one was "don't jump to conclusions" or "don't let your instincts control your thoughts and make you conclude wrongly." Secondly, don't focus into one little thing. Take a look at the big picture. Babs was rather shy at first, but when she saw Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon nagging on the CMC, she sided with them to rid her insecurities, which is what bullies do. Bullies are simply insecure people who need time to mature and realize what they do isn't right. 

I was bullied in school but I didn't understand why I was being bullied. Once my mom told me that bullies are insecure people trying to get attention, I understood. 

As far as the moral, it isn't bad. It's actually one of the greatest lessons. 

Precisely. I understand if perhaps people didn't enjoy the episode, but I thought the moral was handled rather well, although I would concede that perhaps the ending could've been handled differently.

Preferably with a little corporeal punishment.