Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Impulse buying pony merchandising.

MrHaru

Me: "I have a slim paycheck so I'm only going to spend what I need to save for Bronycon and my necessities after this. Until the movie starts later though, let's kill time."

*goes into mall to kill time for a movie, which was Iron Man 3"

Friend: "What're we going to do for an hour though?"

Me: "Meh.........I don't know. Walk around. Get something cheap.......or maybe go to Hot Topic. Let's see what Pony stuff they have. I'm not going to buy anything though."

>>>>8 minutes later>>>>>>

Me: *walks out with MLP Comic Issue #4 and Vinyl Scratch sticker, friend walks out with Luna sticker and Fluttershy keychain*

Friend: *sees me sulking* "You okay?"huh.png

Me: "I told myself I'd only buy my own necessities and our movie food."

>>>>5 minutes later>>>>

Me: *ends up walking out having bought 2 Rainbow Dash sodas from Spencers....which are damn delicious btw*

Friend: "I thought you weren't going to be splurging today"

Me: "I CAN'T HELP IT! sad.png "

Anyone else have this problem? lol. I don't regret it, but I now figure if I'm out and about I'm NOT to walk in either store because I know I'll impulse-buy something MLP related.

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

I know what you mean; I have the same problem, except online. I just bought a box of MLP trading cards and a binder to hold them.

...I've never collected trading cards in my life.

Edited by CamRad18
  • Brohoof 2

Hmm...

Depends. I can control myself when I walk into Hot Topic or Spencers and I am deadset on not buying a single thing and just looking...

However, if I go to Hot Topic already wanting to buy, say, a My Little Pony shirt, I'll end up buying two and then buying some of those cute little buttons to go with them.

So yeah, I know what you're saying, but I'm just lucky that the impulse is only there when I am actually going to buy something already. I kind of just tack on extra items to go with it.

• Brohoof 1

I'm more likely to go home and think about purchasing the item, only to return days later and find it gone sad.png .  I don't have any MLP related stuff yet, but that's more likely to happen to me then impulse buying.  However, I'm not immune to impulse buying on occasion, it just isn't too frequent.  I also usually don't regret buying the item, but I have regretted not buying some things when I had the chance.  

I have that problem with a lot of my obsessions. I remember when Sonic the Hedgehog had it's 20th Anniversary two years ago, every store had something Sonic related in it, and I bought EVERYTHING. I'm still in debt from Sonic's birthday... ><

As for MLP, I've been trying to control myself to only get thing made for bronies (Like the stuff seen in Hot Topic and Spencer's) and my favorite ponies. I'm tempted to start buying the real toys made for children though and keep them boxed hanging on my walls. I'll control myself as best as I can though. The one purchase that really bothered me the most was the Pinkie Pie from Build-A-Bear it cost me 50 dollars to get and I was questioning my ordering it for the longest while it was shipping. Once she came though I realized she's the little answer to my prayers. X3

My routine is lurk online usually to get an idea of what I want, then I wait until I'm with my friends shopping to actually by the stuff. The exception is online exclusives and the BAB items. I couldn't get the guts to go into that place, even when a pegasister friend offered to go with me I got very embarrassed. For a month I tried to go in there but finally I just ordered Pinkie Pie online. 

• Brohoof 1

I have this same problem! I'll walk into Hot Topic, stare at the pony stuff for about ten minutes debating with myself whether I can justify spending more money on it or not, then end up carrying it around the store indecisively for another ten minutes, by which point I usually end up putting it all back. The shop clerks are always looking at me strangely by this point for some reason.

Speaking of Hot Topic, I can't stand the experiences at my local one. I do like everyone and carry around pony stuff and sit indecisive for about 20 minutes. The girls that work there always tease me about all sorts of stuff too. It's just embarrassing because those girls are all cute as Hell and I feel like I'm having such a spaghetti moment when I'm in there. XD

Yeah, guess the stuff just gets to you! :P 

But wow....RD sodas as Spencers?!?! That's it. I'm going. Be back after 10 cups!

But I like going to Hot Topic for pony merchandise, however, I really think Hot Topic shouldimprove on they're variety of items. One Direction? Justin Beiber? Really? :( But all in all, it's a good place for bronies at least, and I just wish they had more Pokemon and anime items!! :D 

But at the pony section in Hot Topic, I always feel like I should buy it, but shouldn't waste money. And especially when there's some sale going on.....augh! The decision is mortifying!! :P

Speaking of Hot Topic, I can't stand the experiences at my local one. I do like everyone and carry around pony stuff and sit indecisive for about 20 minutes. The girls that work there always tease me about all sorts of stuff too. It's just embarrassing because those girls are all cute as Hell and I feel like I'm having such a spaghetti moment when I'm in there. XD

Aw man, that must really suck! The ladies at my local Hot Topic are both pretty and nice, and they love talking about ponies with me when I'm buying merchandise. I don't know why they're teasing you though... I'm sure it's all in good fun and they're not serious! Sorry that you feel like it's an awkward moment though... maybe if you bought something you can show them how brave you are?

*Dollar signs appear in the Hot Topic clerks' eyes*

Aww...that's a shame. The girls I talk to always are pretty cool to just wax about MLP or the fact I'm giving them my money for their merchandise in the first place: not once do I ever get odd eyes or glances or anything...and I've gone to roughly 2-3 local Hot Topics and walked out each time with something MLP-related.

Yeah, guess the stuff just gets to you! tongue.png

But wow....RD sodas as Spencers?!?! That's it. I'm going. Be back after 10 cups!

But I like going to Hot Topic for pony merchandise, however, I really think Hot Topic shouldimprove on they're variety of items. One Direction? Justin Beiber? Really? sad.png But all in all, it's a good place for bronies at least, and I just wish they had more Pokemon and anime items!! biggrin.png

But at the pony section in Hot Topic, I always feel like I should buy it, but shouldn't waste money. And especially when there's some sale going on.....augh! The decision is mortifying!! tongue.png

Trust me...I was surprised by the can.

I took a swig of it with my friend who wanted to give it a go as well since I was treating him for a free drink...and after my first taste I just went "Holy crap I'm going to feel bad once this is gone because it TASTES SO GOOD". I'm not even much into cherry soda: it's not a flavor I go out of my way to buy 12 packs of at grocery stores...but DAMN. I wish that RD soda was in bulk.

The worst part was yesterday (this is when my situation happened: the one I described in the OP) when I was looking through I saw a Vinyl Scratch t-shirt. I don't have any with her, and she's my favorite next to RD.

I looked at the price tag and just whimpered. "Vinyl as MUCH AS I LOVE YOU I just..I can't. Not today. ;_;"

• Brohoof 1

Not for me. I'm not sure about everyone else here but the only pony merch I'm interested in buying are the MLP Shirts which are usually in stores like Hot Topic or Spencers. I would go buy a plushie but they costs way too much for me. I'd much rather just stick to shirts.

• 2 weeks later...

I have impulse buys at work (I work in a thrift shop.) and at flea markers The fact I can get the occasional MLP toy for a dollar or 2 gives me a personal high. Only problem.... I've ended up with alot of doubles mainly with keychains from Mcdonalds and the toys they offered. My other problem is I always stake out the toy isles in Walmart Toys R Us ect, and just browse and consider buying everything but then i remind myself I dont have the room for it... Still if its a bargain I tend to somehow still get it. tongue.png  I try my best to stay away from blind bags because they were the one thing I would splurge on but once i spent a couple hundred bucks on them alone, I had to think logically about it.

Every time I go into Walmart, Target, or Hot Topic I limit myself to what I can buy. Otherwise I know I'll just go and spend all of my savings on pony stuff. And if I have no money to afford anything I usually won't leave the house unless I absolutely have to.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm...

Depends. I can control myself when I walk into Hot Topic or Spencers and I am deadset on not buying a single thing and just looking...

However, if I go to Hot Topic already wanting to buy, say, a My Little Pony shirt, I'll end up buying two and then buying some of those cute little buttons to go with them.

So yeah, I know what you're saying, but I'm just lucky that the impulse is only there when I am actually going to buy something already. I kind of just tack on extra items to go with it.

I end up doing the same thing, I'm a pretty well trained window shopper but as soon as an item gets in my hand to by im just like.... "Screw it lets buy all the things!!"

yea, told myself I was only gonna see what they had,....came out with cards.

almost bought a bunch of stickers from Red Bubble the other day..was ready to checkout...then I jsut closed the tab....and kinda forgot about them until now....I love stickers.

I know that feel, except I bought my merchandise from online. Applejack shirt, Rainbow Dash beanie, and my favorite item. A Chrysalis jacket.wub.png

I'm trying to keep myself from buying anymore merchandise, but it is just so hard. Ponies are like a drug and I'm addicted to it. I must feed the addiction!angry.png

I end up doing the same thing, I'm a pretty well trained window shopper but as soon as an item gets in my hand to by im just like.... "Screw it lets buy all the things!!"

Precisely! I'll have one My Little Pony shirt in my hand, and then stop and start looking at the others. And I'll start to rationalize it like "Well, nothing wrong with having more shirts..." and then I'll grab another one. And as I mentioned, they always have more of those buttons I don't have, so I just go ahead and snatch one or two of those as well.

And don't even get me started on the cards... I can control myself in Hot Topic because they charge more for them, but if I see them at Target or Walmart, I just have to get a pack or two. I've always been a card collector so those cards are just like drugs to me.

I know that feel, except I bought my merchandise from online. Applejack shirt, Rainbow Dash beanie, and my favorite item. A Chrysalis jacket.img-1555031-1-wub.png

I'm trying to keep myself from buying anymore merchandise, but it is just so hard. Ponies are like a drug and I'm addicted to it. I must feed the addiction!img-1555031-2-angry.png

Yes, feed the beast and keep it fat and happy. You must have more merchandise! More!

crazy_twilight_by_jezendar-d56c588.png

I know the feeling! Ill go to hot topic and buy random stuff like nail polish or if I see anything Fluttershy related I have to buy it! My biggest splurge so far was my pinkie pie plush from build-a-bear. It finally came today! I do have a bad habit of buying too much pony stuff though. I really need to slow down. The next thing I'm waiting on is my AJ and Fluttershy plushes from toywiz to ship. That should do me for awhile.

Yep, I have been there, a lot so far. I will walk into Hot Topic and immediately feelings of 'Must....buy.....all....the ponies....!' kick in. So, sometimes I do get more than I was originally planning, but I never regret it. :) I am unable to go to Hot Topic very often so, when I am able to go, I am usually in awe, even if they do not have much in stock at that time. :P

(edited)

Hot Topic is very good at getting me to give in to my impulses.

Just recently I went in specifically to buy one single Rainbow Dash necklace I saw earlier. Just that. Then they said "t-shirts are buy one get one half off!" and I'm like, "Hmmm... OK, I'll just get two shirts, no biggie"

Then I had to get one more... And then I saw a Luna shirt... and I said, "No, better not, I'll get it some other time" and the cashier was all, "You only got 3 shirts?! You should get one more cos of the sale. You know we have a loooot of pony stuff :3" and then I got the Luna shirt. Plus the three others, plus the necklace, plus a handful of buttons because what the hell. Gotta hand it to them, they played me like Octavia plays the cello.

There was a Trixie shirt there too. My wallet thanks its god that they didn't have my size or you better believe I'd have bought that too. And I just discovered Redbubble. My God... it's full of ponies.

And speaking of Spencer's, the one near me never has any pony stuff. Only one "Brony" hat I saw and that was it. They only have stoner/curse words t-shirts, which are fun too, but not the droids I'm looking for.

Edited by Gigapony
  • Brohoof 1

That's usually how I but the trading cards. I was very close to buying a Doctor Whooves doll just for the hell of it, but my folks didn't want me spending graduation money on it. I wouldn't buy clothing on impulse, though: save that money for the cooler shirts they have up on Welovefine.

• 2 weeks later...

Impulse buying is one of the reasons why I didn't like big apple ponycon. That's why I buy everything online, because you have time to think before you give the money to the clerk

I try my best to not have this problem. So when I go out I tell myself if you buy this blindbag then you can't have this thing on your grocery list. But I really need milk more than a blind bag but I love my blind bags so much and I have over 70 of them and I can never have enough of anyting apple jack GAH!! Send me unwanted applejack stuff! 

>.> I swear i am not addicted....

(edited)

Hmm, I can't say I've ever impulse shopped on ponies, but my problem is buying hoards of food (one time I spent $40 at the food court) and clothes. It's so hard not to give in to these things. I wish I could give you some advice, but I don't really have any seeing as I suffer from the same problem. Sorry hun.

Just try to be self aware when you're shopping and consider the pros and cons every purchase. Maybe it'd help if you weighed the importance of buying the thing in the store or buying something at Bronycon (I'm sure you'd enjoy the latter).

Edit: typo

Edited by D1SC0RD