Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do i think Babs Seed is a colt?

Harmony Spark

Again I'm probably overreacting I apologise but why do I get the idea that Babs Seed is a boy? I think personally that her voice is too deep and her colour scheme (although nice) but the brownish orange coat really doesn't Impress. She's a great character though and I hope to see more of her but back to the subject, am I being a bit of an idiot thinking Babs Seed is a boy?

• Brohoof 1

Lower voice, short mane, tomboyish mannerisms, and a masculine color scheme. Same reason why there a bunch of ponies who at first thought Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo were male as well.

• Brohoof 19

*looks to the right*

*looks to the left*

yes... 

Babs Seed is a filly, and that's it, she's been called "her" countless of times, and while I subtly agree with you, because her voice is too deep for her age (they should've got a more suitable VA for her), she can't be a boy because that would imply that she's transgender and that subject is way too mature to present to children, not cointing how many sues Hasbro would get if that was true. 

Though I would like if she was transgender lol

• Brohoof 5

It was definitely her voice and mane style that sort of convinced me that she was a colt the first time I saw her appearance. You're not an idiot for thinking so xP 

But honestly, her voice and accent just doesn't sound right to me...

• Brohoof 1

Actually, your not alone.

I really though she was a boy at first.

Maybe it was her hair and deep voice at first that caught me off guard.

But just like rainbow dash, she was greatly misunderstood. 

• Brohoof 2

I think the deeper voice could be because Babs is just a bit older than the CMC, but yet is still a blank flank.  That would explain her shyness about it, as well as why the ponies in Manehatten were teasing her about it.  At any rate, I think they over-exaggerated Babs' Manehattan traits to the point where she came across as more of a boy than anything, so I can see where people might think that.

However, with that said, I still think that Babs is a girl without question.  I mean, Applejack has a fairly low voice too.  And Zecora too for that matter.  Yet, no one questions whether they're a girl or not like this.  Babs couldn't help it if that was the way she looked and talked.  I mean who knows, maybe her "boyish tendencies" was just another reason why she was bully bait in Manehatten.

• Brohoof 1

I personally can't see how she'd be mistaken for a colt. Scootaloo has short hair too. And, assuming fillies and colts are equivalent to human preteens, she has an acceptable vocal pitch (though more suited for older pony) for her age.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I thought she was a colt when I first saw her. But then again, I thought Applejack was a colt when I first saw her as well, so I dunno. I think it'd be better if she was male, but it's not that big a deal to me.

I always saw her as a filly, she just seems really tomboyish to me. And of course I always kind of associate that accent with deep voices. Also she could have started talking all tough and styled her mane that way to appear tough to the ponies that bullied her.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

*looks to the right*

*looks to the left*

yes... 

Babs Seed is a filly, and that's it, she's been called "her" countless of times, and while I subtly agree with you, because her voice is too deep for her age (they should've got a more suitable VA for her), she can't be a boy because that would imply that she's transgender and that subject is way too mature to present to children, not cointing how many sues Hasbro would get if that was true. 

Though I would like if she was transgender lol

I too would like it if Babs Seed was a FTM colt. Of course, as you mentioned above, it couldn't happen in a show like my Little Pony. :/

Edited by Nagisa
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's because of her mane and voice, there are other reasons why people think that she is a colt not a filly. But, I guess that we have different outtakes on what she is.

Its because shes got a deeper voice then alot of the other fillies on the show, and she has a more masculine color scheme and mane, aswell as acts a bit more tomboy then the other fillies and mares in the show.

Its the same exact reason alot of people mistaken Rainbow Dash for a Stallion at first, I did that for a while actually, but shes been referred to as a mare as babs has been referred to as a filly or she or whatever.

Because she doesn't have a very girly color scheme, has a deep voice for a girl, and also speaks in a Brooklyn accent. Your mistaking her for a male is easy to understand.

I mean, Applejack has a fairly low voice too.  And Zecora too for that matter.  

Yes, but neither one of them has the sort of raspy quality that Rainbow Dash or Bab's have to them. Both Rainbow Dash and Bab's voices have subtle feminine twang to them but it is not as apparent as with Applejack and Zecora's voices even if their voices are a pitch or two lower than most of the other mares. Applejack and Zecora's voices are seriously sexy, Applejack has that southern cowgirl sound to her that which is strong yet very much feminine at the same time and Zecora has that smooth story teller voice. Bab's does sound very masculine, in my opinion even more so than Rainbow Dash's voice and there is her mannerism so it is of course understandable how people could make that mistake at first glance.

She acted alot like one in the Bad Seed episode, so I can't really blame you. Only the eyelashes tell that she's a mare, I thought she was a colt at first too..

Quick show of hands—how many of you guys live anywhere near the East Coast of the United States? I was born, bred and subsequently grew up in a region that is a major thoroughfare between New York, Philadelphia and New Jersey. In a state that has the nickname of The Keystone. While I find Babs' accent adorably... uh.. "off key", I don't find it strange at all. It's like she's internally arguing if she wants to be Bronx or Bella Vista.  (Personally, I'm a fan of the latter because if you're Philly, you're family.)

However, I don't find it understandable that she's immediately assumed to be a colt because she speaks differently, and, of all things isn't feminine in color. Seriously? Didn't we just have this issue years ago with, y'know... Friendship is Magic?

On a lighter note, I agree with the prospect of having a transgender character shown in a completely positive light, but Babs was not properly set up to be one and I feel really shouldn't be the one to do so, especially since you're all so quick to immediately lay judgement of masculinity on her. Which, for that matter, shouldn't even come up until you guys can get the haranguing notions of what makes boys and girls out of your tender little minds. 

The CMC needs a boy...

This, I completely agree with. Rather than flesh our anything as complex as femme, butch, tomboy, gay, straight, transgender or the whole mess of things, what could really help girls, in the original vision of the series, is to portray boys in a neutral, equal light. That young boys can, and very much do go through the same issues that girls do, that growing up sucks and that we're not "boys" and "girls", "fillies" and "colts"—but "people" and "ponies". 

• Brohoof 3

If anything it sounded definitely like someone was wanting to channel Rosie O'Donnell and with a Bronx accent. Was one of the biggest turn offs for the character to me tbf as it made it sound quite forced.