Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which pony could single-handedly take on, or defeat Discord?

Dsanders

Originally I posted this as a status update. But now that I think about, I thought the topic could use a bit more insightful discussion. 

As simply as I can explain, I'm curious to know, in a one on one fight, what pony could put up a good(or successful) battle against the Lord of Chaos that we all love, Discord. img-387689-1-5e7kmu.png

Discord powers are certainly at an high level range. Being the master of chaos and a devious chimera, he has the power to control and alter reality. He appears to be able to teleport, create illusions, and have limited mind control. 

His weaknesses seem to be all in the mind, having poor common sense, and lack of wit.

So that's just the brief overview.

So if any pony could handle or even beat Discord in a one on one fight, who would it be and why? 

Think creatively if you can. lol 

Nopony, none of them whatsoever would stand a snowballs chance in tartarus against Discord. He played the mane 6 the entire time and only lost to them because he got cocky and careless.

• Brohoof 5

Nopony, none of them whatsoever would stand a snowballs chance in tartarus against Discord. He played the mane 6 the entire time and only lost to them because he got cocky and careless.

Interesting, so you think even one of the mane six with their own element of harmony wouldn't last against Discord?

I do agree with you there, that episode is a good example of his raw power.

Fluttershy seemed to hold her own the best against Discord in the labyrinth. She continually brushed off his attempts to break her spirit and managed to frustrate him enough to make him give up and just hypnotise her, and she was notably the only one to do so.

And of course she was the only one who, in all his centuries of existence, was able to reform him. Flutters was hand (hoof?) picked by Celestia herself for the task.

Not bad for the wimpiest of the Mane 6.

• Brohoof 3

I'm going to have to say nopony could beat Discord singlehandedly. I mean the mane 6 could barely beat him in "The Return of Harmony" and really the only reason they ended up beating him becasue Discord became careless.The one who would probably have the best chance woud be Twilight because of her adept skills in magic  but she would still lose and so would everypony else.

• Brohoof 1

Noone can defeat him alone, he is Discord after all. Although I'm somehow certain that Fluttershy could, since she was able to reform Discord I believe that she could possibly defeat him somehow. I'm not sure how though, I think it isn't possible.

05_52_09_593_218350__UNOPT__safe_flutter

I doubt she could defeat him. If he could handle the stare, nothing can stop him.

Just to add it: http://doublewbrothers.deviantart.com/art/Be-stared-374362663

Only one has been able to defeat him alone and that's Vinyl Scratch.

vinyl-scratch-bass-cannon-o.gif

• Brohoof 8

Sombra could probably give him a run for his money. Assuming of course he isn't totally immune to shadow magic, Sombra's genre savvy enough to outsmart Discord and powerful enough to counter his reality-warping powers.

• Brohoof 1

At first I thoight maybe Pinkie Pie could confuse him but then I realized he could distract her with most anything. So, I decided that Twilight would have the greatest chances because she could out smart him. But if we were doing pairs I would choose Pinkie Pie and Twilight because Pinkie Pie could attempt to confuse him while Twilight could use magic on him while he was distracted! 

I guess that Twilight Sparkle could defeat Discord, even though they tried to defeat him when she was with her friends. It might be possible for her to have the high potential of defeating Discord.

It depends on if your talking a physical fight. If so, I would argue none of them. He can bend magic in a way that isn't possible for ponies, and could probably physically tear them to shreds if he wanted to. Its more of a metal battle with Discord. In that respect I still argue none of them can beat him. He does what he does best, he attacks all their weaknesses. If they are alone, one weakness and your done. If your in a group, each pony balances one another and individual weaknesses mean nothing.

Just my $0.02

LYRA BECAUSE SHE IS JUST THAT AMAZING! ....

In all honesty, Fluttershy most likely would be best.She's the best suited since he had to actually TOUCH her to get her to fall for him.

When it comes down to it, nopony in Equestria, not even Celestia or Luna, could beat Discord in a one-on-one fight. His magic is simply too far beyond what ponies are capable of. Of the Mane 6, Twilight would last the longest, as she's the most powerful, but it would still be a near-instantaneous victory for Discord. It'd be like trying to fend off modern weaponry with swords; it just isn't going to happen.

Discord can warp reality. Reality warpers cannot be beaten through traditional means, because they're all but detached from the rules of the universe itself, since they're capable of changing it. Throwing pure power at him won't work. He's stronger. Dark magic? Alicorn level powers? Doesn't matter. He can snap his fingers and make your hail of blasts turn into a shower of flower petals. Only the Elements have been shown to be capable of stopping the walking, living, breathing natural disaster that is Discord, because they represent pure harmony, which cancels out his pure chaos. Thus, until the show demonstrates or hints to otherwise, only individuals who have control over the Elements can truly 'defeat' him. Absolutely everyone else is shit outta luck img-1608824-1-tongue.png

Now, that said, I don't doubt that some of the more heavy-packing players of the show, maybe Sombra, maybe Chrysalis and her army, etc, could pose a challenge for him; slow him down, or require his relatively full attention in dealing with. I'm sure they could land some hits on him and 'give him a run for his money', but...he's essentially a spirit of a fundamental law of nature. He cannot actually be 'beaten' or 'defeated' without the Elements, which permanently petrify him.

Without the full power of the Elements on your side, fighting Discord is just a matter of 'how long can you last in the ring before he inevitably wins'.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

I do not believe Discord could be beaten by brute strength, but I do believe he could be defeated by wits.

Discord has been shown as a reality-warper, and a rebel to the space-time continuum. Nopony, as of yet, can compete with him in a magic duel. However, like any other character, he does have a weakness: He can become cocky and arrogant, and will often underestimate his opponent. If somepony were able to trick Discord somehow into truly believing that they were incredibly weak, they could pull a surprise victory against the draconequus. This has been proven possible by Twilight Sparkle and the rest of the Mane 6. Discord is also smart, mind you, but that still doesn't save him from this weakness.

However, such a pony would also have to have a surplus of power to, at least, subdue Discord. The Mane 6 were able to trick Discord, yes, but they would not have stood an iota of a chance of defeating him if they themselves didn't have the power of the Elements on their side. Unfortunately, I, for one, know of no pony thus far that is both cunning and powerful enough to make this reality.

Knowing that, the only ponies I can think of that come the closest to Discord's level would be Princess Celestia and King Sombra. Princess Celestia has been shown to have the ability to cast powerful enough enchantments to overcome Discord's magic, and King Sombra is the embodiment of evil, similar to how Discord is the embodiment of chaos.

Edited by Alkryn
  • Brohoof 1

Well... Fluttershy already defeated Discord, sort of.

When I think about it, I bet Celestia or Luna would have a fighting chance. How? Because as a rule, using magic (reality warping) takes energy. I think Celestia and Luna have enough power to ware out Discord eventually. Of course, it would be an extremely rough battle and the EoH were a much more logical decision 1000 years ago.

My (mostly unformed) head canon about Sombra would make it possible for him to beat Discord as well. It all depends on just how powerful dark magic is in the show, and we really don't know right now.

• Brohoof 1

Well... Fluttershy already defeated Discord, sort of.

When I think about it, I bet Celestia or Luna would have a fighting chance. How? Because as a rule, using magic (reality warping) takes energy. I think Celestia and Luna have enough power to ware out Discord eventually. Of course, it would be an extremely rough battle and the EoH were a much more logical decision 1000 years ago.

My (mostly unformed) head canon about Sombra would make it possible for him to beat Discord as well. It all depends on just how powerful dark magic is in the show, and we really don't know right now.

Well, actually wasn't Celestia defeated by Chrysalis? I wouldn't doubt someone with the ability to mind fuck everypony besides Fluttershy without really doing much other then say sweet little nothings into your ear, would be stronger then some pony who can suck your love. Then again, the chance that Chrysalis was there much longer, seeing that even she was confused, but I doubt it.  I doubt that Celestia and Luna can fight him. Just using the last 1,000 of solitude in the moon might make Luna Discorded and maybe the same just for Celestia. One does not beat the pony with mind fuck abilities.

(edited)

He's a toughie, come down to it my bet would be a trio. Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Sombre together would possibly stand a fighting chance. Alone he could do anything to them. But you can't confuse the confused. He did have to physically force fluttershy into her state of aggression. And Sombre's magic rounds out the triangle so to speak.

....But if it rains chocolate milk I'm out one player...;

Edited by tranglam
  • Brohoof 1

@ Flutter Dash - Given her proficiency for potions (and ancient, hidden things in general), it wouldn't surprise me one bit if she did something like weaponizing some Poison Joke somehow (what would it do to Discord, anyway?).

(edited)

Canonically, no pony could battle him one on one and defeat him. Celestia and Luna both had to fight him with the elements of harmony, and they're regarded as the most powerful in Equestria.

However, my own little headcanon says Starswirl the Bearded could take him on and beat him without even breaking a sweat. But that's just my headcanon based on nothing tongue.png

Edited by Freedan
  • Brohoof 1

I honestly think Fluttershy could take Discord, because in the episode "Keep Calm and Flutter On" Fluttershy single hoofedly took down Discord with love and tolerance... LOVE AND TOLERANCE, thus proving my point that Fluttershy could easily single hoofedly take down Discord...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Nopony, really. Maybe if Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were still tied to the Elements of Harmony, they could do it, but no one of the Mane 6, or any other pony, could do it without the other elements of Harmony. They couldn't do it without Rainbow Dash, and they couldn't do it one at a time.

Edited by True Rarity
  • Brohoof 1