Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

what do your parents think of mlp

Mr. Changeling

The question is pretty plain and simple: what do your parents think of mlp: fim?

I can tell you right now, my parents do hate it. My mom thinks the show is absolutley retarded and when ever it pops up in a conversation, the refers to mlp as "them". My dad, being the former quarterback in high school and college, honestly thinks that I am gay for watching it and that I have "problems". As for the show, he hasnt watched an episode yet.

• Brohoof 7

My mom is older she just thinks that My Little Pony is for girls and thats it, she knows i'm a brony but doesnt care, I also dont live with her so it dont mattet

• Brohoof 2

As much of a lover of chaos and madness that I am, I do need to ask why do I see so many of these styles of topics pop up? *drums his claws on the desk* Hm. I just find it unusual that a typical topic these days are "What do your X think?" of a cartoon.

Ah, well that being said *clears throat* As my niece and I both watch it, my parents really don't care. They are used to me still watching Care Bears, Darkwing Duck, and other cartoons (as I make it a point to collect all the cartoons from my childhood). My mom and I used to watch cartoons a lot when I was a wee Agent of Chaos so she gets a kick seeing the old cartoons (David the Gnome for example) when I show them off to her after acquiring them.

• Brohoof 1

My dad doesn't seem to have an opinion since he has never seen it. But when we meet bronies in public, he likes talking to them. :3

My mother thinks the show is stupid, but doesn't make fun of it or anything. When she tries to, I remind her that she watches cooking shows and she quickly quiets down.

• Brohoof 2

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

My dad doesn't seem to have an opinion since he has never seen it. But when we meet bronies in public, he likes talking to them. :3

My mother thinks the show is stupid, but doesn't make fun of it or anything. When she tries to, I remind her that she watches cooking shows and she quickly quiets down.

*very, very slowly hides his TV guide with a ton of cooking shows highlighted upon it. Clears his throat and tries to ask as innocently as possible* What is wrong with cooking shows?

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

HUZZAH FOR AUTOMATIC GENERATED MESSAGES! I hereby support the mechanical overlords of our threads and I shall march behind their thread moving greatness! *plays the drums*

• Brohoof 3

My mom and dad have never seen it before,so they really don't know what to make of it!

But i guess,that as long as i am happy with it,they're okay with it!

• Brohoof 1

My parents haven't really seen it, but they've caught me looking at pony stuff before or listening to music from the show. They don't seem to mind at all. In fact, my mom complimented one of my pony shirts the other day when I wore it out to a birthday dinner. :)

• Brohoof 2

As much of a lover of chaos and madness that I am, I do need to ask why do I see so many of these styles of topics pop up? *drums his claws on the desk* Hm. I just find it unusual that a typical topic these days are "What do your X think?" of a cartoon.

It's because this fandom generally has an obsession with its public image.  Being a fandom that challenges social norms, this is expected behavior.

• Brohoof 1

The question is pretty plain and simple: what do your parents think of mlp: fim?

I can tell you right now, my parents do hate it. My mom thinks the show is absolutley retarded and when ever it pops up in a conversation, the refers to mlp as "them". My dad, being the former quarterback in high school and college, honestly thinks that I am gay for watching it and that I have "problems". As for the show, he hasnt watched an episode yet.

Wow....ummm, your parents...they sound....nice....

BEYOND THAT, my parents, they are indifferent I guess. They fully know I am a Brony, as anyone that does know me personally knows (I don't hide it at all), but they have not watched the show. I think my mom wants to at some point and I think she would enjoy it. My dad, I have no idea. Again, they have no major opinions on it, surprisingly. My parents like to jump to conclusions on different things so I am surprised by this. 

• Brohoof 2

Well, actually my mother thinks its great. I'll quote her own words, "If its wrong for someone to like a show that's about friendship and learning valuable life lessons, then I dont want to be right." She actually prefers that more people watch the show.

• Brohoof 2

My own parents are pretty indifferent about FiM. The only times they've really heard about it or seen it is through the media. I'm sure if my mom were to watch it she'd most likely enjoy it. My father on the other hand would most likely change the channel if he happened upon it, 'course I'm implying that he'd ever tune in to a channel that doesn't have to do with murder and mystery twilightcrazyderpplz.gif?1

• Brohoof 2

Only one in my family that likes it besides me is my older bro. Parents and sister not so much (my sister watched S1 episode 1|2 with a friend without me even asking to watch or telling me they were going to and I wasn't around to say anything... so those episodes probably didn't leave a very good impression), my parents don't like it afaik, and they haven't even watched it, my dad and sis seem to bug me about the show here and there. I think the fact that the previous generations and toy lines were girly gives my parents a bad impression when I watch a show called "My Little Pony". :P

I tried telling them it isn't the same as the previous. They just don't seem to get it though. ._.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

My mom is always just like: Uuuuuuuurgh.  Talk about something else.

But my dad has watched every episode with me as well as some fan videos.  xD  And he absolutely adores Pinkie Pie.  Says that she's his favorite character from any show and if he was a pony, he think he'd marry Pinkie Pie.

Yep.

S'all good.

Edited by Feather Gem
  • Brohoof 3

It's because this fandom generally has an obsession with its public image.  Being a fandom that challenges social norms, this is expected behavior.

Hm. I guess I don't understand this being from an older generation. I remember there were some boys who liked the original MLP series (I did because of the villains) just as I knew girls who liked GI JOE and He-Man...of course the shows were obviously made for a specific sex, but no one made a big deal out of it (unless a boy played with Barbies XD)

• Brohoof 2

My Mom fully supports my obsession with technicolored ponies. = w = Whenever I browse thinkgeek, she's all like, "Hey! Get some of those blind boxed ponies!" I love my mom. (And I think it's just because I'm a girl but what-evers. > w <)

• Brohoof 3

Neither of my parents really care. My mom probably worries more, but dad is generally supportive though he'd never watch it with me. I got them both to watch S1 1/2 with me though, didn't change much.

• Brohoof 5

My parents are split when it comes to ponies.

My dad could really care less about the whole thing (I'm really not surprised about that, because all he watches every day is Football and Duck Dynasty).

My mom on the other hoof hand has watched only one episode (Which I think was dragonshy I really need to ask her which one) and she liked it and supports me in liking the show. She also helps me look for whatever Pony merchandise I'm Looking for(Brushables, Blind bags and Vinyl collectibles).

• Brohoof 1

Well I told my mom once I think she thought I was joking but when I ask her two buy me some mlp shirts tomorrow she will know I wonder how she will react when she finds out am a brony for realz LOL. As for my dad he makes fun of me for watching anime you know those shows were half the girls boobs are bigger than there head and story that can make a grown man cry. They even have lot of blood a lot of the time if you let your kid watch death note you are insane my friend. Anyhow until I get my dad to try anime/death note I dare not tell I am watching a show about multi colored ponies learning the magic of friendship -_- this is how I think he would react right now more or less

post-17818-0-63191800-1374141866.png

post-17818-0-08540400-1374141974_thumb.png

post-17818-0-85261500-1374142007.png

post-17818-0-71437400-1374142019.png

• Brohoof 3

Well I watched Equestria Girls with my Dad, and I believe he liked it. I'm not 100% sure though, he hasn't given me a solid answer. But judging from what I have seen from him lately, it seems he liked it. As for my mum, she doesn't care about it. She thinks it's childish, and that's it.

• Brohoof 1

From my point of view my parents don't really seem to care. My Mom comes into my room every once in awhile, to ask me to do her a favor, sometimes looks at my monitor to see what I'm doing, and no matter what it is, she just leaves the room . My Dad on the other hand doesn't even enter my room that often, so I think he doesn't even know anything about it. :I

• Brohoof 2

My Dad passed away before I got into the show so I don't know for sure what he would have thought but he probably would have laughed his ass off and there would have been some mild teasing but I don't think it would have been much worse than that. My Mom first found out by seeing my Applejack shirt hanging in my closet and thought it was adorable, aside from that she seems to not view it much differently than any of my other interests.

• Brohoof 2

My parents think it's a pretty good show with a nice community of people. They think it would be a good influence, yet they don't know about clop yet.. shhhh.

• Brohoof 3

My mom playfully teases me from time to time for me liking it, but overall; she doesn't care. She's watched an episode before, and said it was "cute," and that was about it.

My dad has never seen it, so I can't say anything about him.

• Brohoof 5