Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Themes you'd like to see explored in S4

Silverwisp the Bard

(edited)

What the title says, give and/or discuss some examples of (reasonable) episode themes/lessons and how you'd like to see them explored. I'll start cuz I'm the prettiest since I started the thread.

Homosexuality:

Why: Woefully underrepresented in children's media, I seriously can't think of any kid's show doing the topic justice.

How: Tempting as it might be, the uproar resulting from making one of the Mane Six homosexual would just not be worth it. So I'd say, just make Lyra and Bon Bon an official item.

Setup could be Applejack feeling uncomfortable about them, nothing exceedingly hostile, but for example, denying them a couple's discount on apple pie or something, with the rest of the Mane Six reacting shocked. Rest of the episode would consist AJ slowly overcoming her prejudice, apologizing to the two and writing a letter to Celestia (or Twilight for that matter) about how love is always a good thing.

Unrequited Love:

Why.:Its part of growing up

How: My personal favourite for this would be Gilda having a crush on Dash, but that's not gonna happen. Obvious choice would be Rarity trying to let Spike go gently, which devastates the poor guy and the other Mane Six helping him get back on his feet, possible with stories about  how Flash Sentry got eaten by an Ursa how they had their hearts broken in the past. End with him and Rarity agreeing to stay friends.

Dysfunctional Families:

Why: Another very real issue for many kids growing up that's not that often addressed in children's programming.

How: Make Scootaloo a child of divorce. No stupid Disney style dead parents gig, her folks just got separated and she's not too happy about it. Story could be her  trying to hide the fact from the other CMC. In the end, the truth comes out. Also more opportunity for Dash-Scoot interaction.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 10

I would honestly like to see the following themes in Season 4:

• Death
  • Homosexuality
  • Adoption

Well, I guess stuff like that, I suppose. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Make a meaningless fanfic ship canon...Let's not.

Death would be an interesting theme. Barring unnatural deaths and freak accidents, it'd probably be an Apple Family episode where Granny Smith kicks the bucket.

Edited by Xanatos
  • Brohoof 2

I would honestly like to see the following themes in Season 4:

• Death
  • Homosexuality
  • Adoption

Well, I guess stuff like that, I suppose. 

Death - Ehh...

Homosexuality - I would LOVE to see that, but the general public would probably freak over that. Sadly, people are freaks.

Adoption - Rainbow Dash/Scootaloo sister adoption? That'd be adorable!  :wub:

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Absolutely no death episode. MLP is one of the precious few things in the world that isn't largely defined by who is dead, although the semi-official Apple family situation already taints it.

Homosexuality: I would be very proud of the Hasbro execs for having the courage to allow such a thing, which most definitely needs to be allowed, because it really shouldn't be controversial to begin with. Lyra and Bon Bon would indeed be a good pair to feature, since I've never seen either of them shipped with anyone else. Of course, my personal preference would be Flutterdash, but it would definitely be safer and smarter to see how a background pony couple goes over with viewers first.

I'd like to see Rarity in another "self-employed artist" episode like Suited for Success. Perhaps this time dealing with burnout, and actually failing to complete an order (or several?) on time.

One common story we haven't had yet is accidentally breaking something irreplaceable that belongs to someone else. I think it would be most interesting with Fluttershy, since she'd have the hardest time admitting it even if she wanted to.

It could be interesting to do the opposite of Applebuck Season... asking too much of your friends.

And one topic that's been needing addressed since the very beginning is, what will happen if Rainbow Dash actually gets into the Wonderbolts? Will she have to move away, or at least be gone a lot of the time?

Edited by dekutree64
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Hmm... I'll list them like you did:

Death:

Why: There is no reason to not implement something that was already thematized indirectly. The show has already proven to be able to convey more mature subjects to the audience in an universal way. Actually I'm one of those who think that death is not necessarily a mature subject.

How: Flashback episode about Applejack's parents. Something like their anniversary of death and AJ's friends wonder why she's so crestfallen. Due to Applejack's problems when it comes to being honest with herself, she struggles a bit until she tells them about it. And her friends are there for her, of course. The lesson: although mourning is natural, death is not what should determine one's life, but life itself and the time we shared with the ones close to us.

(In case you don't support xenophilia, shipping and/or canon-wise "possible" shipping, the next point might rustle your jimmies.)

Love conquers all:

Why: It is one of the most valuable lessons in life. An old fashioned romantic idea, or a very progressive notion. They already gave a premise for a story about that.

How: One word: Sparity. I know, I know. Maybe it's unrealistic... "He's a BABY dragon!", "How could that ever work?", "You can't pull that off in a show like this!". But I think it "is" possible. I don't know how exactly. Maybe Spike finally confesses, even though Rarity kinda knew it since "Secret of my Excess". And then they talk about it. It doesn't have to end in a rejection. Maybe not even immidiatly in a romance, but something like "When the time has come".

So...

End with Him and rarity agreeing to stay friends.

Conflict between responsibility and self realization:

Why: I always asked myself: Why are they the rulers of Equestria? Luna and Celestia, why? I know, premise of the show, fantasy, plot device... But as soon as the crew adds backstory to them, one simple question comes to my mind: How do they deal with it? Their kind of immortality, the reponsibility for so many lifes, the things they have to sacrifice for that. The sorrow, anger or pain that can be caused by that.

How: Celestia is confronted with her own emotions. Enough of the "super-mother", enough of the perfect ruler and enough of her being always "right" because it's presented like that or her "mistakes" have no actual consequences. Her duties finally leading her to a point when she is unable to handle anything. I know, unrealistic as well, but...

Sometimes, the end justifies the means (or: the "villain" who is "right"):

Why: Because the antagonists were always "wrong". Or, at least, they were presented as being wrong, or that their actions were only their own fault. And we didn't have an antagonist yet who "won". Not even "morally".

How: Introducing a "villain", who is against something elementary in the show. The princesses and their justification of leadership, for example. Or a law. Or another political issue. That "villain" is not simply evil. He/she has "valid" points. He/she knows that it won't be easy to change something, but he/she is neither alone, nor ready to give up.

It doesn't mean that he/she necessarily has to win, but just to bring that up.

Because, it is also true that to maintain the existing and stable order, sometimes decisions have to be made that simply require to say "In this case, the end justifies the means"

The problem with that lesson is that it would require to make some characters actually flawed. Not just the "that's only human/equine/pony; all in all problems and flaws that everyone has" way , but the "there are other, but legit perspectives and therefore contradictory points in different people's perspectives" way. Flaws that depend on the perspective. Actual conflict between convictions. That is something the show should thematize automatically, now that Twilight is a princess.

I know, most of this is... not to be expected to happen. But I think one can always dream when they're asked what they'd like to see in the show. Even though it's a bit unrealistic.

Edited by StatesTheOblivious
  • Brohoof 3

Adoption

Simply because of Scootaloo. While it isn't canon that she doesn't have parents, they sure are implying that. Since Rainbow Dash has practically already taken Scootaloo under her wings and Scootaloo does seem to wish to have a sister like Rainbow Dash... ... HASBRO, MAKE IT HAPPEN!

• Brohoof 1

Noooooo! Please no! NO!
No sexual orientation, no religion, no abortion, no euthanasia, no to any other similar controversial themes in MLP:FiM, Also no for romantic threads of any of Mane6 - Rarity x Spike is enough and sometimes even awkward.
It's not that I'm against or I'm prejudiced/biased, whatever...
Just, especially homosexuality and religion themes are everywhere now - whether I turn on the TV or browse the internet, everywhere I can stumble on those topics. And I'm just tired of them.
One of the things I like so much in this show is that it focus mainly on friendship.
I don't think that MLP should avoid difficult issues (e.g. adoption or death themes could be raised), but don't let it diverge from its main message too much.
I must mention that I'm also very curious about love/romantic canon story of the Mane6. But i still think that it would be bad for the show, so I hope they will never put it in the plot.

Even though probably the vast majority of bronies/pagasisters are tolerant and are ok with such topics. You have to admit that it would ruin the series, because many parents who watch MLP with their children could have a lot of complaints which Hasbro won't be able to ignore.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Make a meaningless fanfic ship canon...Let's not.

Death would be an interesting theme. Barring unnatural deaths and freak accidents, it'd probably be an Apple Family episode where Granny Smith kicks the bucket.

Meh, they wouldn't even be the first cross-species lesbian couple on tv...

How: One word: Sparity. I know, I know. Maybe it's unrealistic... "He's a BABY dragon!", "How could that ever work?", "You can't pull that off in a show like this!". But I think it "is" possible. I don't know how exactly. Maybe Spike finally confesses, even though Rarity kinda knew it since "Secret of my Excess". And then they talk about it. It doesn't have to end in a rejection.

Oh, I'd love for the two to get together. The reason I made them an example for things not working out is that its so darn unlikely: Cross species AND and the age difference ....maybe as a last minute thing in the final episode a la Gargoyles :o

That being said, Spike could have an episode all on his own, getting to grips with the giant gap between his intellectual and corporeal age, poor guy is a  tragic figure.

Introducing a "villain", who is against something elementary in the show.

This would be interesting, but it would be really tricky to pull off, seeing as Equestria under the rule of the sisters is a pretty swell place to live (apart from the Everfree).

Just, especially homosexuality and religion themes are everywhere now

Actually, its quite difficult to find a decently portrayed homosexual character, let alone same-sex couple in popular media.

• Brohoof 3

I like the dysfunctional family and homosexuality ideas. I dont think shows directed at younger kids usually talk about that stuff, but I think it would be great for younger children watching to grow up with that awareness and also if they are struggling with either of those things, to know they arent alone.

• Brohoof 2

^Dysfunctional families would be a good one, seeing as that seems to be the norm these days. Maybe something within pinkies family would be good, Or maybe something like that to do with Rainbow Dash.

I don't think death would ever make it onto the show,  as it is directed at children. Not saying it's a bad idea, it's just that Kids parents will wig out

And teen pregnancy of course

• Brohoof 1

Race

Why:Its important for a child to learn its fine being different races, that your not in any way different then others.

How:Changelings (this is perferred by fans) or Spike. Why him? He's a dragon in pony society. They never touched whether the town really liked him living there.(Kinda like a hate against dragons thing or maybe something similar to a group like PETA for dragons)

Dysfunctional Families

Why:You listed why XD

How:Pinkie Pie. She's honorary Apple somehow and her sisters will be visiting. Connect the dots.

Interracial family:

Scootaloo might not have pegasi family.

Sisters

RD is in no shape or form able to be Scoot's sister as of yet, seeing that she can't tell whether something really bothers her.

I think 2 of these will be used in one episode..

Disability

Why:Just because your disabled doesn't mean you can't try to find a way around.

How:Scootaloo. She can't fly, and on top, competing in the games. Sounds like a good way to figure a way to fly even if your wings won't do so.

• Brohoof 2

I like and dislike your homosexuality idea. I'm guessing people are referring to Rainbow Dash, and although it's true that homosexuality should be looked upon as something that doesn't change who you are, I feel that adding homosexuality would only increase the idea of bronies being gay, and things like that. I'd be all for it, but others might not be.

I feel that adding homosexuality would only increase the idea of bronies being gay, and things like that. I'd be all for it, but others might not be.

Well, I never really considered the opinion of internet trolls to be anything but irrelevant.

Disability Why:Just because your disabled doesn't mean you can't try to find a way around. How:Scootaloo. She can't fly

Well, it looks like we'll get a Scootaloo can/can't fly episode, so I guess we'll see.

Actually I'm really torn between wanting Scoots to not be able to fly, simply for the story potential and wanting her to succeed. :o

Well, I never really considered the opinion of internet trolls to be anything but irrelevant.

Very good response. Very well, I'm all for it. Go ahead with your plan, I hope to see it in an upcoming episode, especially if it's between two of the mane six!

I would like to see these themes to be explored in Season Four, so prepare for some themes.

• Death
  • Adoption
  • Love

I wouldn't mind seeing those themes. :)

Well, it looks like we'll get a Scootaloo can/can't fly episode, so I guess we'll see.

Actually I'm really torn between wanting Scoots to not be able to fly, simply for the story potential and wanting her to succeed. :o

I'm afraid on one hoof that if we had one episode based on homosexuality then backlash, I guess, would make it get removed anyway. I mean, they removed other episodes (of other cartoons) that have the same base but its too controversal.

Same as the disability episode they said that will be aired since they spoke of it. Its too much controversy for a new character, so at least if Scootaloo had the problem..we know her character well enough to see she still will try her best whether she could or not.

I say its better that way since if can't introduce a new character with one or it'll be another Derpy. But if we use her...its nice actually. She'll struggle but overcome it. Its a conflict. I mean, proving them wrong is the best.

What the title says, give and/or discuss some examples of (reasonable) episode themes/lessons and how you'd like to see them explored. I'll start cuz I'm the prettiest since I started the thread.

Homosexuality:

Why: Woefully underrepresented in children's media, I seriously can't think of any kid's show doing the topic justice.

How: Tempting as it might be, the uproar resulting from making one of the Mane Six homosexual would just not be worth it. So I'd say, just make Lyra and Bon Bon an official item.

Setup could be Applejack feeling uncomfortable about them, nothing exceedingly hostile, but for example, denying them a couple's discount on apple pie or something, with the rest of the Mane Six reacting shocked. Rest of the episode would consist AJ slowly overcoming her prejudice, apologizing to the two and writing a letter to Celestia (or Twilight for that matter) about how love is always a good thing.

Unrequited Love:

Why.:Its part of growing up

How: My personal favourite for this would be Gilda having a crush on Dash, but that's not gonna happen. Obvious choice would be Rarity trying to let Spike go gently, which devastates the poor guy and the other Mane Six helping him get back on his feet, possible with stories about  how Flash Sentry got eaten by an Ursa how they had their hearts broken in the past. End with him and Rarity agreeing to stay friends.

Dysfunctional Families:

Why: Another very real issue for many kids growing up that's not that often addressed in children's programming.

How: Make Scootaloo a child of divorce. No stupid Disney style dead parents gig, her folks just got separated and she's not too happy about it. Story could be her  trying to hide the fact from the other CMC. In the end, the truth comes out. Also more opportunity for Dash-Scoot interaction.

I don't agree that it's a good idea to explore homosexuality in a kids' show, but the rest are great ideas.

I'd especially love if the "Unrequited Love" episode had the other mane 5 trying to set Rarity and Spike up together, only for Rarity to snap at them in the end and admonish them for prying into other ponies' business. Spike and Rarity then agree to just be friends, and Spike gets a crush on somepony more his age.

Every pony keeps on posting about death... me thinks that's a little to dark. Homosexuality and Unrequited love thing on the other hand might work depending on how they go at it. But all and all I think that these are very heavy and controversial topics that may end up backfiring and starting an uproar.

Edited by Onylex
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
I'm afraid on one hoof that if we had one episode based on homosexuality then backlash, I guess, would make it get removed anyway. I mean, they removed other episodes (of other cartoons) that have the same base but its too controversal.

My hope is that with recent political developments as well as other companies (Archy Comics for example) refusing to give in tothe bullying  so-called "parents groups",  they might give it a shot.

Also I wouldn't worry about Scootaloo not being able to fly being be considered controversial: Physical handicap is a far easier subject to tackle than mental retardation.

I don't agree that it's a good idea to explore homosexuality in a kids' show,

How come?

• Brohoof 1

My hope is that with recent political developments as well as other companies (Archy Comics for example) refusing to give in tothe bullying  so-called "parents groups",  they might give it a shot.

Also I wouldn't worry about Scootaloo not being able to fly being be considered controversial: Physical handicap is a far easier subject to tackle than mental retardation.

It shouldn't be very hard to get a good moral from an episode with a disabled pony, she is centered in an episode after all based on that. But what I can't get: RD training her, especially if its during the games. Its the PERFECT episode in context. She needs devlopementdevelop cement that isn't centered with RD and her, which also gives her a bad rep. (People don't always see her as a good character due to her being solely involved with RD) If she is disabled, wouldn't it mean something to bet the others despite it?

I think there could easily be a racism equivalent episode in the form of Unicorn/Pegasus/Earth pony. Would make since its plausible some would look down on Earth ponies for having no special ability like magic or flying.

I don't think they should do an episode about homosexuality. That just seems like a bit much for a kids show to talk about and there is no guarantee that it well change a kids or even a parents point of view on this. 

I do like the idea of Spike just wanting to be friends with Rarity and he giving up on her falling in love with him. That seems like a good one.

I also like the disabled episode idea. Mostly Scootaloo can't fly and she is just find with it.

Homosexuality is an idea that I would not want to see in a show like this, and it likely won't ever happen. If the show's staff wrote an episode involving sexuality, the parents would get upset because the show is teaching their children about such a thing. As we all know, most parents with young children have a 'how dare you do this or that involving children and my child' attitude. Their pompousness would lead to them call for the show to be cancelled instead of doing some actual parenting and deciding what is and isn't good for their children to watch.

While I agree that it would be interesting to see such an element explored in the show, it definitely won't and shouldn't happen so long as the show is originally intended for children. 

Death and other forms of suffering could easily be explored in the show safely. Hell, we've even seen small nods to it here and there. I think that the staff is reluctant to explore the idea because of how it may effect the viewers, however. I would be too, honestly. It doesn't even need to be the focus of the episode, just something like Applejack directly acknowledging the death of her parents in an offhand conversation.

• Brohoof 4

Death: Why: There is no reason to not implement something that was already thematized indirectly. The show has already proven to be able to convey more mature subjects to the audience in an universal way. Actually I'm one of those who think that death is not necessarily a mature subject. How: Flashback episode about Applejack's parents. Something like their anniversary of death and AJ's friends wonder why she's so crestfallen. Due to Applejack's problems when it comes to being honest with herself, she struggles a bit until she tells them about it. And her friends are there for her, of course. The lesson: although mourning is natural, death is not what should determine one's life, but life itself and the time we shared with the ones close to us.

Yeah this. It's a very good idea. Instead of showing when somepony dies it could be a flashback. It would make a great episode and it would not not be too much to show on tv.. or maybe idk.

And as others have said, I would also like to see something with homosexuality. It would of course never happen, but it would be an interesting "lesson" for Twilight and the other 5 :P

• Brohoof 1