Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it weird that I trust people on the Forums better than people IRL?

Ihei

Is it weird that I trust people on the Forums better than people IRL?

It's just that it's really hard for me to open up to people IRL; it's pretty simple here, since I know I'm not going to be judged.

So, do you trust people here or IRL better?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

haha!! not at all!

the fact that you communicate with other people via a text editor or a chat (Skype) makes everything easier because you're not actually looking at them directly in the face, you have more time to think in what are you going to say and you can open up easily, besides, the internet makes the world look even smaller, and you would be surprised how many people shares common interests and experiences with you.

Happened to me like crazy, trust MUCH more my internet friends than RL ones, but BE CAREFUL! you have to learn what people can have all of your trust because as beautiful as it is, there are also bad people that 'acts' nice with you at first but then they're capable betraying your trust.

Edited by Motion Spark
  • Brohoof 2

I trust people on these forums more than anyone in real life. I basically hate everyone IRL, while I feel that I like everyone here. I went through nothing but torment in my life. So, when I joined up here and found that the people were accepting and friendly, it made me feel better. I was able to trust them more than anyone I knew.

• Brohoof 5

The Internet has a vast population of users, and this domain/forum is mainly populated by good people. I personally find the people on here to be more trustworthy and open-minded than most of my colleagues on my Campus. Aside from that, we normally view that is easier to communicate with others online due to the fact that they aren't very close to you, location-wise, so they can't really leak, for lack of a better term, your information towards others. I have discussed some very sensitive topics with other users on this forums, and they respond very politely, and are good people. I admire the Brony community, as the overall population of the fandom are relatively nice people.

So as to the question Is it weird that I trust people on the Forums more than In Real Life?, no, it is perfectly normal, and actually, relatable.

By saying so, keep going on and meeting new people on here, they're bound to be good friends.

tumblr_m5mvniHobT1rxc156o1_500.gif

• Brohoof 3

Of course not. I've felt the exact same way on many other forums I'm a member of, because...I guess it's easier to find people with your similar interests online than in real life. In my area, the anime fans and bronies are either far and few or aren't showing their colors openly. Online, it's as simple as finding an active community and getting to know some really cool people.

I can sortof relate to that. I will be nicer and more formal to people on the internet at first, because i dont have that kind of first impression, that you have in real life. I am however way more open to people on the internet though, mainly because i always have a safe haven to go to, if it turns out, that the person i was talking to is a dick: another website. I dont trust them more than RL-friends though, but that might also be, because i rarely ever put my trust into someone/something else than myself. Actually right now, only 1 person exists, that kind of has my trust and that person is my best friend IRL.

Where i work everyone is stuck in high school mentality all they do is bad talk everyone so i wont tell anyone there a thing so yeah i trust people here mire then people at my work ar least

I trust a lot of people on this forum. That's especially since I know they'll never hound me on anything I say. I do trust a lot of my friends, but because they're close to me, anything I say can have a lasting impact to my relationships with them. Since I want to keep them at a high, I don't say anything that would scar my image towards them. That doesn't include MLP though. I think they're tolerant of that so long as I don't stick it down their throats!

Don't worry Minty. I feel the same way so it's not weird. I start making friends by finding common interests first, it takes a while to do that IRL but here we all already have one thing in common, WE LIKE PONIES!! So I feel I can easily start a conversation with people here and then it develops into friendship. I've made quite a number of friends here on the forums, and easier and faster than I have IRL. I trust them because they seem like genuinely nice people, so I give them my friendship until they give me a reason to distrust them. So far that hasn't happened and I hope it never does! :lol: IRL the friendship process takes a little longer from my experience and people are quick to judge about some things, but here no one has judged me and I'm not physically talking or looking at people so I guess I just feel more comfortable.

(edited)

I also trust people on this forum (not others) ALOT more than IRL.....im just not good at expressing my feelings in person or with words, I tend to just suppress all my emotions and just let everyone think im happy with a fake smile on my face. But, on here, I don't fear being judged. I don't think its weird but at the same time, I wish I could be my self around people IRL.

Edited by CosmicBrony

(edited)

It isn't weird at all :P. Honestly, I don't have have many friends in real life. But, here we can open up and just talk about one thing we have in common. Ponies. I've developed a freindship with is many people on here. I don't know what I would have done without the forums. I'd probably bitter and depressed all of the time. Even though I'm already bitter and depressed a good percentage of the time.

Edited by Fondue For Two

No it's not weird at all considering most of the fandom tends to be full of nice caring people, Trusting people on here is fine you just have to be careful not to automatically trust every person who seems nice get to know them first and you know start to bond with them instead of just being clingy to them. Actually to anybody who has trouble IRL talking to people the forums helps it helps you realize that in the world there are still nice caring people who want to make you feel better. I know the forums helped me to be more open about my love for MLP i mean wearing like Brony merch not forcing it down peoples throats :P.

To any of you who want to be more open IRL just remember that somewhere out there that there are people out there who like you for being you and that you have support then just think about that next time you want to talk to someone IRL or get bullied it'll help promise  ;)

This is a hard subject for me because I have trouble trusting anyone, even my closes friends. But if I had to pick, I would say this forum is the most trust worthy, compared to the other forums I've participated in. But don't trust anyone unless you know them because put up a act on the internet is far easier than it is in real life. Also there is less chance of consequence over the internet than there is in real life. 

• Brohoof 1

Not weird at all. Usually a lot of people trust me, but I trust people on the forums more than I trust people in real life even though there are some people that I can trust. Like an old saying goes, ''Trust is a one way street.''

56159-Scott-Pilgrim-its-not-weird-at-MCV

• Brohoof 2

No, it is not weird at all. I, personally, don't have many people in my life I can trust with a secret, but if there was something I really wanted to tell someone, I'm fairly certain I could post it on the forums, and it would stay pretty much a secret.

Of course It's not weird. People naturally have more guts to speak hard things to people indirectly rather than face to face. But the truth is... 

If you really feel insecure around everyone around you, perhaps you slowly work your way into really feeling comfortable with them. Just don't be too overly open with a few others for awhile, and learn about them and how they treat you. Yes, It's hard, I know, but It's really important also to have direct people skills. The internet is a wonderful escape route, but humans are naturally social pack-animals, so It's kind of helpful for all kind of health standards.  ;) 

Ita great that on the forums you can find people like you fast :)!

I like the not being judged as much as meeting people for the first time in RL, you also dont have to think as fast and not seeing someone allows me to open up better to people :P!

Totally not! I feel exactly the same! It's nowhere near as hard to type something - whether it be sharing your feelings or anything - to someone behind the computer screen as it is to say it to someone's face to face. That's why people say "if ya wanna be rude, say it to my face," and then the persons like.. Well I wouldn't dare...

Plus it's extra trustworthy here on the forums because we all have that massive thing in common that made us join in the first place. ;D

Its not weird at all. You can connect with people without being there physically.

I also trusted more people on the internet than in real life. in real life people were alsways mean to me for some odd reason I cant even comprehend.

Not entirely weird, no. It is online that most of us are brave enough to let our true personalities shine through...even if they are sometimes difficult to decipher through text. That being the case, most of our inhibitions about which sides of ourselves we allow others to see go right out the window, and making friends becomes about 120% easier than in real life.

That said...I heart all o' you dweebs. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I think online you find a lot of others in the same situation, and a kind of trust forms from that. It was the same back when I used to play WoW - It's easy to talk to the other players on the server about certain stuff that you wouldn't dare trust people you know in real life with.