Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one who gets shy around their own relatives?

Bethielikesponies

(edited)

It depends how well i know them. I see my grandma, grandpa, aunts, uncles all the time and have no problem talking to them. Everyone past that makes me clam up, lol.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

I'm shy around all of my relatives except my family. I don't really see my relatives at all. But those who I meet are usually very nice so I know there is no reason being shy around them. I usually stop being shy after being around them for an hour or so. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, you may be looking at it from a from perspective. Is someone really close to you just because they share a bigger portion of your genes than people you see on the streets? I would say no. And as such, if you are shy, there is no real reason why you shouldn't or wouldn't be around blood relatives you don't see very often.

Not to mention family reunions, especially with relatives you don't see a whole lot tend to be rather awkward in nature. (And that is exactly because people presume you should be close, even tho you really aren't.)

• Brohoof 1

Actually, no. A lot of my relatives are creepy, but I'm not really shy around them, and I'm certainly not scared of 'em. Some of them are kind of cool, being helicopter pilots and nuclear physicists and McDonalds clerks.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My dad's family is pretty big, and due to everybody hanging out in sort of little cliques at family gatherings, I don't really feel close to hardly any of them. I don't really know what I'm supposed to talk to them about and they don't seem to know what to talk to me about either. I spend most holidays either having short and awkward conversations, or huddling off by myself. There are some cousins and uncles I'm close to of course, and I'm very close to my mom's parents, but I tend to be pretty shy and uncomfortable around most of my family.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 1

I've always (since I could speak) been shy around them and pretty much everyone in general. I only see most of them a few times a year. The only relatives that I'll be myself around and talk to are my grandparents on my dad's side and my 2nd cousins (my first cousins children) My relatives are pretty nice, but I'm still scared of them...and it would be weird if I suddenly started talking to them since I had never really spoken to them before. I'm even scared to ask my parents simple questions, sometimes. I'm more introverted anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Whenever I'm over at their house for a holiday, I'll just go and get on the computer. Its easier for me to post on here, than talk to them.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

Oh definitely. My dad's side of the family lives a few hours away so don't see much of them. My mom's side lives close by but I still don't ever see them. I just don't have much in common with them. Careers, hobbies, interests, nothing. I get along with them, but I still shy away whenever they come around.

• 4 years later...

yeah i know the feeling I mean my sister likes to visit here from time to time but i literally have nothing to say to her or any other relatives and usually if i go with them i just end up sitting there quietly the whole time. It doesnt really make any sense for me to be there so these days i kinda stopped coming to those events.

I won't lie... I get kinda nervous around my brother. :lie: I think that's just because of the bullying phase that he went through (that has since ended).

Don't worry; we're on good terms now. :grin:

I don't get nervous, but I kind of just stay quiet when I'm around them. I'm not that close to most of them, so it isn't something that I'll lose sleep over

I get nervous around some of them but not all. My grandparents were always fun to be around, same with my aunt on my dad's side. I get nervous around my other aunt (on mom's side), one uncle and my cousins. If they have a sense of humor and I can joke with them a bit, that helps. I get along great with my brother and sister, both of whom I can trade insults with and tease without remorse; I think that's key to true happiness. :please: 

I don't like being around my relatives except for my dad. My cousin, who's also my roommate, is cool because I don't think of her as a relation as much as a goofy, stupid friend. 

Well no, actually... 

Just now, Pr0m4NV14 said:

No, since there are theoretically infinite universes, there can be a universe where everyone adores very episode of My Little Pony, or one where there is a Chinese dude that likes every episode of the show, etc.

The same rule applies here.

Social anxiety can follow one anywhere. 

I struggle with said anxiety and while it is worse with new individuals, I still feel a bit of it even when I am associating with relatives.

On 7/26/2013 at 6:51 PM, Bethielikesponies said:

I don't mean family you see all the time, but relatives.

It is actually quite the opposite for me...I get so awkward and shy around my mom, dad and sister sometimes even to the extent of having an anxiety attack if I’m around them. But other relatives? I just treat them like friends because that’s kinda what they are (to me, at least). Like meeting new people, but you can be more open and honest with them because they’re family and it stays in the family. But my close family? It’s almost like I’m afraid. Like I don’t trust them. 

• 1 year later...

I hate being with my relatives, that's why I haven't seen them in ages. Every time my family would visit them, I would just stay home by myself. I feel a lot better that way.

• Brohoof 3