Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Anybody a fan of Tom and Jerry?

Harmony Spark

I know this is an obvious question, but since I have nothing else to topic, why not?

Anyway, why do you love Tom and Jerry? Which adaption do you like? Would you like to see Tom and Jerry get back to shorts like before?

And most importantly, would u like to see a Tom and Jerry reference in My Little Pony?

• Brohoof 4

Heck yes.

My personal favorite has to be from the hannah barbara age, it was chaotic, funny, and overall an amazing cartoon.

I personally don't find the chuck jones age too well, as they toned down the violence and fun of it, but it was meh at most.

As of now, I still find them funny as they were back then, however, the tom and jerry movie was horrible.....

img-1810447-1-Tom_and_Jerry_-_The_Movie_

But I do love this scene from the movie.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JoYWdHe4tQ4

Edited by Metal Sonic
  • Brohoof 6

Meh, I kind of like it.

The only thing I dislike about it is the annoying cliched sound effects.

I personally prefer the movies over the shorts and such, oddly enough. 

My favorite movie of it was definitely, "Tom and Jerry: The Magic Ring", if I'm correct. 

I mean, I never laughed at it, but it's an okay cartoon. 

I wouldn't mind shorts with better animation. 

• Brohoof 3

Oh, buck yeah, I love it. In fact, I watched it back in 3rd grade, and I still love it today. Violence, gore, and action was the last piece of the puzzle to make it a perfect show.

I even have a DVD with Tom and Jerry shorts on it.

Oh, the shorts were golden from 1940-1967. Now, the shorts are like 2013 references, and modern stuff. I don't want that, I want it to be like the 40's. Just normal Tom chasing Jerry, with background characters, in a house, or outside. With Spike, or without him. Not the night club crap I saw on Tom and Jerry Tales.

Eh, I'm about 50/50 on that one

• Brohoof 2

Yeah I'm a fan of Tom & Jerry. I used to watch that show a lot since Tom and Jerry never talked and the slapstick was always pretty funny. The abomination of the Tom and Jerry movies are so bad, and the modern shows that they make the spinoffs to the original show are pretty bad.

• Brohoof 2

psh, yeah! that was an awesome part of my childhood! it's that kind of a cartoon that this generation isn't lucky enough to have: they do stupid stuff that is obviously dangerous, but you know not to do it.

• Brohoof 2

Been a fan of T&J for a long time. I like both the old and new stuff though I REALLY hate the sound effects for both Tom and Jerry's voices in the new stuff. Spike doesn't sound even remotely the same either and I rather liked his old voice.

To this day I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that makes the new and old stuff different though. The comedy seems the same but there's just...something different about it. It bugs me.

I actually have some collections of T&J. I oughta rewatch them.

Oh and I also really miss Mammy Two Shoes. She was quite a character and she was absolutely hilarious. I know they didn't wanna be racist with the new stuff but none of Tom's new owners have any real personality and not a single one of them can crack a joke for nothin'. I want Mammy Two Shoes back.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 2

That show must be like so deeply intertwined with my childhood, that I honestly have to say it did influence me in a rather subtle way. Just a damn shame they had to away with all of that over-the-top violence that characterized the show.

Tom and Jerry Kids? Never in my life...

• Brohoof 2

Yes! Of course! I love Tom and Jerry! It's actually one of my favorite cartoons ever. I used to watch them all the time when I was younger and I had many laughs watching them. I love the style and I love the silly jokes and sound effects. It's really my type of show :P

I actually have every single episode of Tom and Jerry from my computer. Every single one since 1940!

Also, a Tom and Jerry reference would be fucking amazing

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 2

Yes! Of course! I love Tom and Jerry! It's actually one of my favorite cartoons ever. I used to watch them all the time when I was younger and I had many laughs watching them. I love the style and I love the silly jokes and sound effects. It's really my type of show :P

I actually have every single episode of Tom and Jerry from my computer. Every single one since 1940!

I plan to have them all on DVD, or as many as possible via the spotlight collections and such anyway.

I can't wait for twenty or thirty years from now and all the shows of today might get collections of large quantities of episodes like old shows like Tom & Jerry and Woody Woodpecker.

• Brohoof 2

Ah, Tom and Jerry. A classic cartoon that brought laughter to many a genera- Ah, screw that, I'm not the Nostalgia Critic.

Anyway, yes, I definitely do consider myself a Tom and Jerry fan. It truly showed slapstick at its finest, showing solid pain and harming the characters in the most painful ways possible. It was inhumane, cringe-inducing to the viewer with every blow, and the only cartoon where I was okay with that.

... Except in the occasions where Tom was actually justified. Even worse when he was axed off. Sometimes both. I don't have to like every episode to enjoy it. <<;

• Brohoof 1

I just love Tom and Jerry, still do but I would always watch it before I went to school. So yeah, I loved Tom and Jerry, nice way to cheer you up since school and all.

Would be funny seeing a reference in MLP, who knows they could do so easily. I don't know, it would be fun, the shorts were fun.

• Brohoof 1

I enjoyed it as a kid. I liked the animation and the comedy and dilemmas were pretty funny to me at the time. I remember watching the actual cartoon and also watching maybe one or two of the movies. One of them I think was the Magic Ring and the other one is sort of hazy and I can't remember it at the moment. Tom and Jerry is great. 

Edited by Rainbow Factory
  • Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...

Absolutely loved most of the original Hanna-Barbara shorts when I was young. The early 60s Gene Deitch shorts were pretty mediocre, only liked a few of them, but most of the Chuck Jones shorts were at least okay. Modern Tom and Jerry shows and movies have a very understandable bad reputation, but I actually didn't mind what I watched of Tales and both The Magic Ring and The Fast and the Furriest do have a lot of nostalgia value for me. 

• Brohoof 2

Tomy & Jerry was part of my childhood. Had plenty VHS tapes with them alongside The Mask and Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers.

So yes, I am very much a fan. :wub:

Edited by Yakamaru
  • Brohoof 1