Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Your favourite female vocalists, please!

decoherence

Okay, I'll try not to judge. It's just that there are so many horrible.... augh... no..... tolerate! Love! Okay! Here's my take on good female singers.

5. Basia Bulat

4. Tori Amos

3. Buffy Ste. Marie

2. Joni Mitchell

1. Ann Wilson

Here is Ann Wilson singing Stairway for Led Zeppelin with her sister Nancy and making them cry from sheer awesomeness. WARNING: You may cry as well. I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjhkMfubxvQ

Nobody does Led Zeppelin like Heart, except maybe Led Zeppelin... on a good night img-1872879-1-wink.png Have some more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8pwfw9LY6o

I love those girls so much, I just can't even...

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, I never paid much attention to them. In fact, I thought that song you posted was an Alanis Morissette tune *shamed* but sh*t Earl, much as I love and respect Alanis (she'd be #6 on my list, probably) I definitely need to give the Cranberries another listen!

Thanks for posting that!

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, I never paid much attention to them. In fact, I thought that song you posted was an Alanis Morissette tune *shamed* but sh*t Earl, much as I love and respect Alanis (she'd be #6 on my list, probably) I definitely need to give the Cranberries another listen!

Thanks for posting that!

No problem at all! I love talking about music and it feels good to learn about other artists that make great music such as Alanis and the Cranberries :)

And Ann and Nancy Wilson! Seriously, dude -- Heart is like the Chuck Norris of hard rock. There might be folks out there with flashier stage presence, or who drop dubstep in to their songs or whatever but those Wilson sisters trump ALL!

IMHO.... if that's okay with you... blush.png

More Heart:

Okay, not a great example of their 'hard rock' but yes, Nancy can ****ing play guitar.

Edited by decoherence

My music collection has a very severe lack of female vocalists, but there's two metal ladies that i absolutely love.

First off, the mighty Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy.

Then there's Sharon den Adel from Within Temptation.

Just... Amazing. There needs to be more female vocalists in metal.

• Brohoof 1

Here are my personal favorites:

1. Sharon den Adel from Within Temptation

2. Amy Lee from Evanescence

3. Christina Perri

Those are the three main ones for me. I don't listen to female singing that often. Even though Within Temptation is possibly my favorite band. 

• Brohoof 2

Marina and the Diamonds. I think she's a wonderful singer and songwriter and I'm quite looking forward to hearing her new album in 2014. I'm particularly fond of Mowgli's Road, Oh No!, Primadonna and Sex Yeah. I hope I can one day get to hear her live, but I live in Germany so she probably won't be visiting often. 

There's also Madonna. I haven't heard much of her music, but I like what I've heard from her so far :) especially Material Girl.

Edited by Hitomi Shizuki
  • Brohoof 1

• Aretha Franklin (R.E.S.P.E.C.T: Rok-a-Lott)

Loletta Holloway (Love Sensation, collabed on vocals to the track Relight My Fire NOT the crap cover by Take That but the original one by Dan Hartman)

Minnie Ripperton (Inside My Love, Lovin' you)

Barbra Tucker (Stop playing with my mind, loadsa soulful stuff)

Donna Summer (I feel love, Hot stuff, Bad Girls)

Edited by Asherdangerdash
  • Brohoof 1

Karin from the band, Collide.  I love how sensual her voice sounds and I love her music wub.png 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRh1aT5xNRI

I like Marina's music too.  My favourite from her has to be Girls and The Outsider, I'd love to see her in concert.

Skunk Anansie

Samaha Sam(of Shaka ponk)

Enya

Milla Jovovich

Fiona Applewub.png

Ikue Asazaki(may she rest in peace)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEQtkLNTmRs

Zoe Poledouris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BdogOpL5T4

Tarja Turunen, known mostly for her time with Nightwish.

Honestly, I don't think she's an exceptionally good singer, but her voice is distinct and I think she's a perfect fit for the songs she's done in the past. I instantly know when I'm hearing her voice, unlike many other male and female vocalists I've heard before.

Florence Welch from Florence + the Machine is definitely one of my favorite female vocalists. I love her voice.

Some others I like:

• Katy Perry
  • Adele

For brony artists, I really like Feather's voice. It's so pretty.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 1

Emily Haines of Metric (example: The Police and the Private and Lost Kitten

Emily has amazing vocal range, and her slight huskiness in her lower range and almost squeal-like higher range makes her really distinct from others, as well as the creative lyrics and background music. She can be a bit odd, and I love it.

Abisha Uhl of Sick of Sarah (example: Autograph)

She has an amazingly strong voice. It's so distinct from others in her power-punk genre, and she's a very nice person as well. 

Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine (example: What The Water Gave Me and Sweet Nothing)

Also very strong voice, and can do a variety of vocals. Makes awesome music videos, too - the idea behind Sweet Nothing is amazing, and it's probably my favourite video ever. 

Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir of Of Monster and Men (example: King and Lionheart and Mountain Sound)

She speaks English quite well, and sings even better. I like the way she clips a lot of her words - it's very cute, in my opinion, hahaha. She has a great way of putting emotion into her vocals. They also make some awesomely trippy videos, as shown.

Neyla Pekarek of the Lumineers (example: ???) <-- the song is unnamed thus far

In addition to being my massive girl crush, Neyla finally got to get a solo bit rather than just background and I basically fell over when they performed this at their concert in Toronto that I went to. 

Birdy (example: Skinny Love cover)

My friend showed me this and I cried. I almost like it more than the original. In fact, I think I do like it more. She makes some crap songs sometimes but her voice is very haunting, and she's also very young.

Billie Holiday (example: Strange Fruit)

I think she speaks for herself...she is perfect.

Lykke Li (example: I Follow Rivers)

Her voice is pretty high for my tastes at times but damn this girl has talent. I've been listening to her ever since she started and I think she's pretty cool. <3

Lorde (example: Royals)

She harmonizes beautifully for her age; she sounds much older than she really is (she's only 16 or 17!) Some of her songs have solid lyrics, as well. Royals isn't my favourite but it's her most popular song and it shows her voice off really well.

Deborah Harry of Blondie (example: Call Me)

Again, speaks for herself, LOL.

Malukah (examples: Reignite [Mass Effect Tribute] and The Dragonborn Comes cover)

She writes great lyrics for her original pieces and did a beautiful job with the Elder Scrolls covers she's done too. Has some great harmonies as well!~ The second song will make you cry if the first didn't do it.

Grace Potter (examples: Something That I Want)

This is the only song I have by her but WHATEVER I LOVE IT.

??? of Sleepy Kitty (example: Gimme a Chantz!)

I have no idea what her name is, but this is 60's-styled pop at its finest, decades later. XD The lyrics are awesome too.

adrisaurus (example: Will The Circle Be Unbroken cover)

Similar to Malukah, she does a lot of covers of video game songs, but also does originals and creates lyrics to pre-existing songs. She's really sweet and funny. ^~^

My favorite female vocalist is Ann Wilson from Heart.  To me, she is the best female rock singer of all time, and I knew this when I listened to Alone.  Here's a video I found showing her amazing vocal capabilities.

I also like Pat Benatar, Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac, Mariah Carey, and some others I can't think of right now.

• Brohoof 2

Nobody has said Hayley Williams of Paramore? ohmy.png I'm shocked

(Please ignore the video if you have a problem with it, the song was used in the movie but is not ABOUT the movie)

ANd guise...guise... Shirley Manson of Garbage.

I would amrry both of these women.

My problem with these is that they're both very processed. However, I happen to know that they're also both very talented singers! I hadn't heard that Paramore song! Really cool vocal melody!

No order: 

Kate Bush

Bjork

Nina Simone

Grace Slick

Stevie Nicks

Janelle Monáe

Karin Dreijer Andersson

Shirley Bassey

France Gall

PJ Harvey

Sinead O'Connor

Trish Keenan (gone too soon...)

A user before me mentioned Marina Diamandis. I've got a love-hate relationship with her. The Family Jewels is a masterpiece of deranged bubblegum pop but everything she's done since has been terribly disappointing. Can't make up my mind about her.

• Brohoof 1

Oh wow.... here's the new Basia Bulat song which I only just heard.

I coulda swore there was an official video for this but i can't find it right now sad.png

Also, some contemporary Buffy Ste. Marie -- show me another pop/rock singer that can do this live. She's in her early 70s in this video. No joke. Just.... wow.

• Brohoof 1