Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Your favourite female vocalists, please!

decoherence

Norah Jones and Lily Allen are just two of my favorites.

Lily has the "voice of an angel, mouth of a sailor" thing going on, along with stinging satirical lyrics. Jones has this gentle raspiness to her voice and a smooth, sophisticated tone of her songs that make her music perfect for easy listening.

Here's one of my favorites for each of them:

Ann Wilson (Heart)- Awesome voice, that's just as powerful today as it was back when Heart started.

Alecia Beth Moore (P!nk)- I know she's more of a mainstream pop artist and I really don't like mainstream pop, but one can't deny she has a killer voice.  Another thing I like about her is that she doesn't lip sync during performances.  "I hear there's a debate over whether or not I sang live on grammies. I have never lip synched in my entire life. I'm 100% against it,"  (Though she could be lying.)  Pretty good anyways.

Joan Jett (Runaways)- Great raspy voice, and great songs.  

Lita Ford(Runaways)- just great.

Amy Lee

Aretha Franklin

Pat Benatar 

img-1905263-1-Otep%20Shamaya.jpg

There's only one female vocalist I really enjoy listening to, and that's Otep Shamaya. I like her because she's a great singer, not to mention she's good-looking and her dressing style is really awesome. Unlike others, she just does whatever the hell she wants, and she's damn good at it too.

Just check her out! You might not like the music, but I dare you to say she isn't talented at what she does.

Edited by Winterbass
  • Brohoof 2

Chlo Edwards the lead vocalist from the hardcore/post hardcore band "Vales"

im not sure why its just the type of music i like and she's the only female singer in this genre that i know

A couple of people stand out to me

Jen Ledger (Skillet)

Yes, I know she is primarily a drummer, but she can sing, too.

Lzzy Hale (Halestorm)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXTLQ4k8JXk

Other ones that come to mind include Jennifer Nettles, the lead singer of the Band Perry, and the lead singer of Flyleaf

• Brohoof 1

The two that immediately go into my mind are Tarja Turunen and Floor Jansen. Tarja is a former vocalist for Night wish who is now solo. Floor is the former vocalist for After Forever and the current vocalist for Night wish (lead that is).

For a good representation of how they sound, here is one of my favorite songs of all time, Ghost Love Score, performed by Nightwish with each of these two singers:

With Tarja:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O8e2hMAL6c

With Floor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3brcfttchzA

Saying which one I like better here is difficult as they both have their own style but Jansen extremely caught me off guard here. I have others that I like but that song put them over the top for me.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I forgot this in my previous post, but I'm also a huge fan of Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir of Of Monsters and Men. She is such a great singer (well, to me), and I just love her voice; it's so pretty.

Bjork

/thread

Anyways as for me, I don't listen to that many female vocalists but there are some that I like:

Kat Katz

Reba Meyers

Karin Dreijer Andersson

Kelli Dayton

Beth Gibbons

Skye Edwards

Alice Glass

Kathleen (Coppola) Stubelek

Laura Pleasants

Jarobe (how could I have forgotten her before?)

And there's more but that's just off the top of my head

Edited by Moog the Kvlt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
(edited)

I'm a fan of Alyssa White-Gluz, formerly of The Agonist, has done some work with Kamelot, and now sings in Arch Enemy. 

I enjoy Brittney Hayes of Unleash the archers.

I'm also a fan of Lzzy Hale from Halestorm, Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil, Annette Olson formerly of Nightwish, Marta Gabriel of Crystal Viper, Sharon Den Adel of Within Temptation, Elise Ryd of Amaranthe, Noelle of Damone, & Haley Williams of Paramore. 

Edited by Denim&Venom

My taste in music is probably incompatible with most people here, but I'll post a few of my favorites anyway.

Arlene Smith and the Chantels:

Rosie Hamlin of Rosie and the Originals:

Barbara Jean English and the Clickettes:

Patrice Rushen.

Beyoncé.

Rihanna.

Azealia Banks.

M.I.A.

Ciara.

:D

• 5 weeks later...