Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is death a big deal alicorn wise.

FNGRpony

I think it's a non issue for a different reason than the whole "well they'll never get to it."

The shows already set up and established there's an after life.  Tartarus.  True or false.  That's cannon.

That episode happened.  It can't un happen.

So there is an after life for terrible people.  At least.  Equistra being the sunny, doey, sugar drops, and rainbow land of marry ment and enchantment must have a good place good ponies go to die.

Lets suppose princess Celestial in no way shape or form has any sway of such a world.  I mean if she did it would explain why she's always busy.

I mean suppose twilight sparkle did become immortal, (yes I know what the writers said she's not) but even if she did, twilight being the learned individual she is would understand her friends were in a better place.  (Yeah i know it's hard to imagine a better place than Pony ville for ponies, so we'll say a reasonable good place).

Supposing twilight was immortal it's not like she'd have the power or magic to sneak a visit.

I'm pretty sure that Tartarus is a dungeon of torment and suffering of the wicked. Death is a big deal because, if Twilight was immortal and all of her friends die it would be an huge impact to her.

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure that Tartarus is a dungeon of torment and suffering of the wicked. Death is a big deal because, if Twilight was immortal and all of her friends die it would be an huge impact to her.

But in all likely hood she'd still be able to see them.

She's the most renowned magic user in the whole land before becoming a alcorn, with a eternity to get better (if that was the case).

I mean unless the cannon would be "you only get an after life if your evil."

But in all likely hood she'd still be able to see them.

She's the most renowned magic user in the whole land before becoming a alcorn, with a eternity to get better (if that was the case).

I mean unless the cannon would be "you only get an after life if your evil."

She wouldn't be able to see them if they are dead, unless she finds a spell that can see the dead. Also, it's pronounced canon. You don't get an afterlife if your evil, let's keep Dragon Ball Z out of that.

She wouldn't be able to see them if they are dead, unless she finds a spell that can see the dead. Also, it's pronounced canon. You don't get an afterlife if your evil, let's keep Dragon Ball Z out of that.

so wait your saying Tartarus has zilch to do with the after life?

And really,

the writers literally came out and said "no after life?"

Lol really?  May i have a source.

so wait your saying Tartarus has zilch to do with the after life?

And really,

the writers literally came out and said "no after life?"

Lol really?  May i have a source.

Here's an example: Cerebus, the dog that came into Ponyville from Tartarus... he wasn't dead to begin with. He was sent to Tartarus for being a wicked and evil creature.

Here's an example: Cerebus, the dog that came into Ponyville from Tartarus... he wasn't dead to begin with. He was sent to Tartarus for being a wicked and evil creature.

Cerbus guards Tartarus i saw the episode as well.   I assumed Cerebus was immortal.  I'm gonna go back and peak at the episode to see exactly what twlight said about people (or souls ) escaping.

Cerbus guards Tartarus i saw the episode as well.   I assumed Cerebus was immortal.  I'm gonna go back and peak at the episode to see exactly what twlight said about people (or souls ) escaping.

Well, Cerebus isn't immortal. Unless the writers can explain about Cerebus, you can go take a look at It's About Time then. Be my guest.

So there is an after life for terrible people.

I think your logic is flawed here. Yes, Tartarus is a canon place as it was mentioned in the show. There is no mention of any sort of an afterlife, however. In fact, seeing as how Cerberus wandered out of it and into Ponyville, it's safe to say Tartarus is just a location in Equestria (probably a gulag or something, seeing as how "the gates" were mentioned.) Also, Twilight was just going to walk him there, further confirming that it is no "after-life".

(edited)

Ahem

"All the ancient evil creatures,"

and i quote.

Ancient.  Living things tend not to be "ancient."

and if cerbus isn't immortal isn't equistra shit out of luck when he dies?  Come now.

hm judging by twilight's treck taratus may well be 4 hours away or more away. 

But yeah ancient generally implies non living.  Unless your telling me cerebus is keeping dragons in line. 
And if than how LOL.

I think your logic is flawed here. Yes, Tartarus is a canon place as it was mentioned in the show. There is no mention of any sort of an afterlife, however. In fact, seeing as how Cerberus wandered out of it and into Ponyville, it's safe to say Tartarus is just a location in Equestria (probably a gulag or something, seeing as how "the gates" were mentioned.) Also, Twilight was just going to walk him there, further confirming that it is no "after-life".

If all it really is, is in fact just a gulag I kinda see even less reason why it can't be shown.

I mean seriously I still wanna see the creature that commands cerebus.

I imagine Sombre is ancient and evil and likely there.

Edited by FNGRpony

I don't know if i totally understand the question, but i'll try here.

First of all, i don't personally believe headcannon wise that all Alicorns are immortal, if any. Only ones i believe have extended or infinite lifespans are Luna and Celestia because of their flowing mane, how they became that way idk.

I don't think cadence or Twilight are immortal.

Anyways, i think that they're just immortal as far as normal life goes, but i think that they can be killed if harmed physically enough.

I think its a big deal because of the fact she won't see her friends again being immortal presumably, however i don't agree that she is in fact immortal, but still. That would be the reason for it being such a big deal.

who knows the friends Celestia's had and lost in 1000 or so years. if she even bothered being immortal and all.

I don't know if i totally understand the question, but i'll try here.

First of all, i don't personally believe headcannon wise that all Alicorns are immortal, if any. Only ones i believe have extended or infinite lifespans are Luna and Celestia because of their flowing mane, how they became that way idk.

I don't think cadence or Twilight are immortal.

Anyways, i think that they're just immortal as far as normal life goes, but i think that they can be killed if harmed physically enough.

I think its a big deal because of the fact she won't see her friends again being immortal presumably, however i don't agree that she is in fact immortal, but still. That would be the reason for it being such a big deal.

who knows the friends Celestia's had and lost in 1000 or so years. if she even bothered being immortal and all.

I don't subscribe to that "unless harmed."

how many vampires call them selves immortal?  Pretty much all of them?  And yet they can all die.  Most relatively easily. 

I think with enough elbow grease and ingenuity you could kill anything calling itself immortal.

• Brohoof 1

I don't subscribe to that "unless harmed."

how many vampires call them selves immortal?  Pretty much all of them?  And yet they can all die.  Most relatively easily. 

I think with enough elbow grease and ingenuity you could kill anything calling itself immortal.

Well, yeah i get what your saying.

I think as far as fiction and the whole immortality thing, theres different kinds. Sometimes the person or being is immortal except for this, other times they're simply unkillable. 

Normally there is some form of loop hole, in order not to make the character a mary sue.

Or else whatever makes them immortal fully even through physical harm, is some item or something that can be taken or something like that. Or else countered. 

Its more common for the immortality to have some type of loophole, like vampires as you mentioned.

So i think Celestia can die as well as Luna, via physical harm, if not some special way.

But this being a kids show i doubt it'll happen regardless ;p.

So while i don't think you can kill anything immortal necessarily, most immortal things in fiction have a weakness allowing them to be killed.

So yeah, most aren't truly immortal. But much more immortal then you and i regardless.

Well I don't think we have been given all of the details yet about, Tartarus. To what I think we know is, it's a places where evil spirits and dark creature are. I don't think when a pony dies they are sent to a place with evil spirits.

Beisdes, even if Twilight was Immortal, I don't think even the power of an alicorn could bring her friends back and she might not even want to have them come back. I also don't think she could go there. Dead people only rule maybe.

Look if a vampire said he could make you immortal I'd understand that i'm not gonna die from old age.

If i was made into a alicorn princess (Shut up LOL) I would assume it was the same kind set up minus the blood drinking, and the sun burning.  I wouldn't start jumping out of tall buildings and aim at the ground full speed going "I'm immortal!"

All tom Cruise like. 

Now I think people are assuming alicorns might mean your Alicard from hellsing, who's so mary sue he eats mary sues for break fest lol.

Well, yeah i get what your saying.

I think as far as fiction and the whole immortality thing, theres different kinds. Sometimes the person or being is immortal except for this, other times they're simply unkillable. 

Normally there is some form of loop hole, in order not to make the character a mary sue.

Or else whatever makes them immortal fully even through physical harm, is some item or something that can be taken or something like that. Or else countered. 

Its more common for the immortality to have some type of loophole, like vampires as you mentioned.

So i think Celestia can die as well as Luna, via physical harm, if not some special way.

But this being a kids show i doubt it'll happen regardless ;p.

So while i don't think you can kill anything immortal necessarily, most immortal things in fiction have a weakness allowing them to be killed.

So yeah, most aren't truly immortal. But much more immortal then you and i regardless.

Well I don't think we have been given all of the details yet about, Tartarus. To what I think we know is, it's a places where evil spirits and dark creature are. I don't think when a pony dies they are sent to a place with evil spirits.

Beisdes, even if Twilight was Immortal, I don't think even the power of an alicorn could bring her friends back and she might not even want to have them come back. I also don't think she could go there. Dead people only rule maybe.

Ah but that's the point i'm getting on about.

Tartarus is a place for dark spirits.

So their's no place for good spirits?
In happy pony land?
really?  Come on.

Ah but that's the point i'm getting on about. Tartarus is a place for dark spirits.   So their's no place for good spirits? In happy pony land? really?  Come on.

Well I didn't say there wasn't a place for good spirits. This is how I see it. Evil spirits go to Tartarus and the the good spirits go to some other place. What this place is, I don't know? 

• Brohoof 1

An afterlife is unfortunately something that's not been cemented into the show's canon (Tartarus is basically hell in Greek mythology, but we can't know for sure what it's meant to be in the show), but if there is one (which I do find to be likely)...that doesn't change the fact that you gotta deal with death, which is understandably a big deal to many. I'm not knighting diehard (no pun intended) Alicorn Twilight haters in any way, I just felt the need to throw that out there. And also...

Well I didn't say there wasn't a place for good spirits. This is how I see it. Evil spirits go to Tartarus and the the good spirits go to some other place. What this place is, I don't know? 

I think this dude just nailed the other thing I wanted to point out. Where there's darkness, there's light.

• Brohoof 1

Why are people still going on about Twilight or all alicorns being immortal. Meghan McCarthy already stated that Twilight would not outlive her friends, thus stating that not all alicorns are immortal.

Exact Quote:

Meghan McCarthy  @MMeghanMcCarthy

@WanWeengedAnjil: As an alicorn, will Twilight be immortal and forced to outlive all of her friends?” Twilight will not outlive her friends

Edited by Xelphos
  • Brohoof 1

Look if a vampire said he could make you immortal I'd understand that i'm not gonna die from old age.

If i was made into a alicorn princess (Shut up LOL) I would assume it was the same kind set up minus the blood drinking, and the sun burning.  I wouldn't start jumping out of tall buildings and aim at the ground full speed going "I'm immortal!"

All tom Cruise like. 

Now I think people are assuming alicorns might mean your Alicard from hellsing, who's so mary sue he eats mary sues for break fest lol.

Ah but that's the point i'm getting on about.

Tartarus is a place for dark spirits.

So their's no place for good spirits?

In happy pony land?

really?  Come on.

Who knows really, i mean if one exists i'd be inclined to say the other exists in Equestria. 

Its never stated one Doesn't exist, it just hasn't been stated it does.

Death isn't really discussed much since MLP is a kids show afterall.

Tartarus is like Azkhaban. It's a different realm or a prison. There's no indication that it's hell or an afterlife, so you shouldn't make that leap of logic. If Twilight outlives her friends, yeah that's kind of a big deal. Again none of these things have really been thoroughly discussed on the show although fans have made fanfiction on these subjects i am sure.

Who knows really, i mean if one exists i'd be inclined to say the other exists in Equestria. 

Its never stated one Doesn't exist, it just hasn't been stated it does.

Death isn't really discussed much since MLP is a kids show afterall.

I'm inclined to agree with Anthony C. on the matter when Kids stories use to have license to be "Grim."

Little red riding hood and the like.

Kids tails with poor outcomes as a tale of woe.

but again if we're talking kids show regular show had Death in it.

Grim adventures of billy and mandy had Death as a main character.

but i'm just looking at the whole

"But it'll be sad if twilight out lives everyone."

Pff you can already had tons of tear jerking moments like that already.

Apple jack out living her dog. 

Tank out living rainbow (not just cause turtles age slower but cause rainbow daredevil style is gonna make sure she checks out first in all likely hood lol).

I like to indulge in the goofy "what if" realm of fans.

I think it's funny that people are trying to tell me "you don't know a thread headed dog is the least bit supernatural and your assuming an awful lot."

Well yeah I'm assuming all the normal stuff that's attached to Cerbus until told other wise lol.

Dragons could live to be 20 according to Cannon.

but until stated other wise most of us assume they live for hundreds of years.

Just how if they had a vampire on the show for about 5 mins out at night we'd assuming 2 dozen different things with out the show spelling them out.

I'm inclined to agree with Anthony C. on the matter when Kids stories use to have license to be "Grim."

Little red riding hood and the like.

Kids tails with poor outcomes as a tale of woe.

but again if we're talking kids show regular show had Death in it.

Grim adventures of billy and mandy had Death as a main character.

but i'm just looking at the whole

"But it'll be sad if twilight out lives everyone."

Pff you can already had tons of tear jerking moments like that already.

Apple jack out living her dog. 

Tank out living rainbow (not just cause turtles age slower but cause rainbow daredevil style is gonna make sure she checks out first in all likely hood lol).

I like to indulge in the goofy "what if" realm of fans.

I think it's funny that people are trying to tell me "you don't know a thread headed dog is the least bit supernatural and your assuming an awful lot."

Well yeah I'm assuming all the normal stuff that's attached to Cerbus until told other wise lol.

Dragons could live to be 20 according to Cannon.

but until stated other wise most of us assume they live for hundreds of years.

Just how if they had a vampire on the show for about 5 mins out at night we'd assuming 2 dozen different things with out the show spelling them out.

Well, technically any of the ponies could outlive each other, and i guess your right, but who knows. 

And well while AJ outliving winnona is sad, its not quite as sad as twilight out living her friends forever as depicted in some interpretations.

Like i said, i don't even believe Twilights immortal anyways. But yeah.

And technically one of them will outlive the others to some extent, just Twilight if immortal would technically have to for all entirety.

Who knows how things are in tartarus really, but we can only assume its similar to the underworld based on cerbus. 

Of course it really hasn't been brought up again since then so idk.

It does exist though i suppose.

As far as dragons i assume that like other fiction they live hundreds of years, i mean in "Dragonshy" they talk about how dragons sleep for quite a while, I kinda thought it was like a 100 years or so. But i forget.

But that alone proves that they live to be atleast somewhere in the 150-200's And mostlikely more.

I'm still confused on the exact direction of this discussion though, i'm a little confused ;p.

Oh I can totally argue Winnona over friends.

Friends and family cause you grief.

There's a special bond of raising a pet that it's a different box all together than losing a friend.

You can grow apart from friends.
your pet in most cases is with you for life.

It's not like your gonna go "i'm sick of my dog or cat."

and yes I think we lost direction a long time ago LOL.

I get lost so much misdirection could be my cutie mark so don't ask me ^ ~.

Well, technically any of the ponies could outlive each other, and i guess your right, but who knows. 

And well while AJ outliving winnona is sad, its not quite as sad as twilight out living her friends forever as depicted in some interpretations.

Like i said, i don't even believe Twilights immortal anyways. But yeah.

And technically one of them will outlive the others to some extent, just Twilight if immortal would technically have to for all entirety.

Who knows how things are in tartarus really, but we can only assume its similar to the underworld based on cerbus. 

Of course it really hasn't been brought up again since then so idk.

It does exist though i suppose.

As far as dragons i assume that like other fiction they live hundreds of years, i mean in "Dragonshy" they talk about how dragons sleep for quite a while, I kinda thought it was like a 100 years or so. But i forget.

But that alone proves that they live to be atleast somewhere in the 150-200's And mostlikely more.

I'm still confused on the exact direction of this discussion though, i'm a little confused ;p.

Oh I can totally argue Winnona over friends.

Friends and family cause you grief.

There's a special bond of raising a pet that it's a different box all together than losing a friend.

You can grow apart from friends.

your pet in most cases is with you for life.

It's not like your gonna go "i'm sick of my dog or cat."

and yes I think we lost direction a long time ago LOL.

I get lost so much misdirection could be my cutie mark so don't ask me ^ ~.

Yeah true, but friends can be with you for quite a while, lifelong heck, my parents have had almost lifelong friends.

Pets as far as humans only last for a portion of you life technically, dogs live anywhere from like 8-16 years depending. cats a little longer but yeah.

True its sad, because my grandmothers pets have died and its sad, but if a friend died that would be pretty freaking sad to, and i'd be inclined to say even more so. 

Besides, i use to have a dog, but we had to give him away when we moved.

it was sad, but i got over it, as heartless as it is, i really didn't even cry any.

Yeah, i feel like we're making points, but not sure where its leading to ;p.

Yeah true, but friends can be with you for quite a while, lifelong heck, my parents have had almost lifelong friends.

Pets as far as humans only last for a portion of you life technically, dogs live anywhere from like 8-16 years depending. cats a little longer but yeah.

True its sad, because my grandmothers pets have died and its sad, but if a friend died that would be pretty freaking sad to, and i'd be inclined to say even more so. 

Besides, i use to have a dog, but we had to give him away when we moved.

it was sad, but i got over it, as heartless as it is, i really didn't even cry any.

Yeah, i feel like we're making points, but not sure where its leading to ;p.

Again, if you want direction,

may i remind you my name stands " For No good reason." and you've come to the wrong man lol.  I don't think I've ever needed to know where i'm going just point me in a direction.

The main point i was making is the fan base are going

"Twilight out living everyone else =sad."

I disagree, based on the assumption Twilight is the master of magic,

and has the ear of the oldest living creature (or one of the oldest living creatures in equsitra).

Several in fact. 

Discord,

Celestial,

Luna,

and given enough time Twilight will have likely had the ear of every damn immortal in the land.  Benevolent or other wise.

She'll know the score.  Not just that but twilight being the crazy micro manager she is, will is going to at least attempt to hold sway over her final hours.  she doesn't like letting things just happen.

Meaning if there's an after life she'd known about it.

IF there was one.

Now you can take that any number of directions.  Twilight trying to extend her life, toss death aside entirely, maybe even turning evil,

I mean sombre beat the breaks of aging and he's not even an alicorn.

Unless we're to assume he eats souls to stay young lol. 

"It's dark magic." is the excuse.

You know who's to say good magic can't extend life.

Am i the only one who assumed star swirl might had a extended life?