Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Words you cannot pronounce properly?

Mr F

• 1 month later...

When I first moved to the UK, many place names were this, because they all seem to do something completely unique.

These days it's just rolling r's.

• 2 months later...

In spanish I don't really have much trouble with pronunciation. The letters are very clear on how you say them because they never change phonetically, so it all comes down to how you are reading it like all the medical terms, or how you wrongly assumed the word might be interpreted if you have never seen it written, like "viniste" (right) and "vinistes" (wrong). 

Living in Mexico though the thing that is the hardest to pronounce are precisely the pre-columbian words because even if phonetically they are very similar to spanish and japanese there's certain consonants that can change sounds depending on the context of the words around them. For example most of you are pronouncing Mexico wrongly because the "x" is said as an "h", in spanish it would be written as Méjico like Spaniards do because the "x" here can be pronounced as "sh", "hard h", "ks", "s" and one more that is slipping my mind (and because you are reinterpreting the original word to accommodate to your respective languages, which is normal but still is interesting to know). So the word Texas is pronounced correctly but Mexico is not because the sound of that particular letter changes depending on the other letters around it. This is specially important here since we tend to keep pre-columbian words in everyday conversations like the names of streets like Xola (sh), places like Xilotepec (h), some common names for stuff like axiote (sh) or xilófono (s), or names like Ximenes (h). What I try to do if I don't know how to pronounce those words with x is just try to feel the word and see you if it has cadence and rhythm with the others, and it usually works.

Also the words with "tl" because sometimes is pronounced more like mute and windy, as if you almost hissing with your tongue and pushing wind out from one side like in "nahuatl", "Popocatépetl" or "Ahuizotl" (Which would be said in this fashion), but since it's hard to pronounce in this way many people tend to make the "l" in "tl" silent which is debatable but better than saying it as it looks. And other times is pronounced like it looks, like in Tlatelolco or Tenochtitlan wich is just "tl".

Here's an example of the first "tl" pronunciation: skip to 1:20

in english the word "world". It took me a long time to understand how to pronounce so many tongue consonants at the same time. Overall I have a hard time with letters that change sound depending on the letters arround it or even without any explanation whatsoever. Like "blood" and "bloom". Or the difference between "e" and "ee" and "i" which can sound the same and not. So for that I just try to memorize it which sucks. 

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Words with a lot of consonants (especially if they're back to back) – "prescriptive" and "sportster" are two that I remember really struggling with. :adorkable: Thankfully neither is a particularly commonly used word, but especially the latter is hard for me not to mess up – I seem to want to omit either "t". :derp:

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For me, I can write it down but I can't say them properly.

Like, half of the time I'll say "dranken" instead of "drank." 

"Kilt" instead of "killed"

"Amnimal" instead of "Animal"

I can't say them right but I sure can use the correct term properly online.

Edited by Emerald Heart

Heh, not sure how you say “Kreuz”. Dad always says it like “Christ”, and I guess it means cross in some language :huh: ? I thought it was “cruise”. Still dunno :wacko: .

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 4:21 PM, You said:

How is the second E not pronounced at all?

It's called a "silent e".

and there's a lot of English words where if you put an e at the end of a word that has a vowel in the middle, the vowel will go from a short vowel to a long vowel (the vowel says its name).

Kit become kite. The I goes from saying its sound to saying its name.

Mat becomes Mate (A says its name)

Hop becomes hope

Cut becomes cute

As for me the word that I constantly keep mispronouncing according to my stepmother is credits. Apparently she thinks I've been pronouncing it as cred-dics without putting emphasis on the t sound

This is pretty pathetic but I speak English as a first language and I always say "bury" like "burr-y"... in my defense it’s how one side of my family always said it, guess it carried over to me. But I do try to say it properly when I’m around people other than immediate family. Sometimes lol.

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, CoconutCake said:

This is pretty pathetic but I speak English as a first language and I always say "bury" like "burr-y"... in my defense it’s how one side of my family always said it, guess it carried over to me. But I do try to say it properly when I’m around people other than immediate family. Sometimes lol.

how else would you say it?

Bu-uh-ry?

• Brohoof 1

On 11/30/2020 at 12:48 PM, Sherbie-kun <3 said:

how else would you say it?

Bu-uh-ry?

Apparently the CORRECT way to say it is like "Bare-ee", at least where I'm from! To me it makes no sense, because everyone seems to say it a little differently. But people always point out how I say it incorrectly (apparently) so... to each their own :D

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...
On 2022-03-11 at 8:45 PM, Heasol said:

Probably many, since english isn't my native language. :sealed: But it's fun to learn more and more and to always improve a little every day. :blush:

Same here! *Brohoof*

For me it is especially the word "language". I cannot pronounce it at all

11 hours ago, daviddaviddavid said:

All English words are fine (I'm a native speaker, so as you'd expect), but I particularly struggle with any word in a foreign language that uses an alveolar trill (such as a rolled 'R' sound) - I can't do those. 

Yeah it's hard to learn. For me it's the opposite. In Finnish we have rolled R so ie. Spanish words are easy for me to pronounce. However English R is a huge struggle for me. I roll R even when I speak English :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1