Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Words you cannot pronounce properly?

Mr F

Depends, really.

The tireder I get, the harder it is for me to pronounce things correctly.

But I can't pronounce the word reprise very well.

But there are also words I can't say without my Texas accent coming out.

I struggle with speaking the standard english,

I cant really say Storm properly (I say stor-uh-m), I struggle eith most "tapped r" sounds in English as standard (most of the time here we either roll our r or dont pronounce it), english H sound I cant really pronounce

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Le Trotteur Sauvage said:

I know right ?
I'm like 7/10 in writing
8/10 on reading
And 3/10 on speaking :laugh:

Bro I'm like the same only like I'd say reading and writing like I mean I feel perfect in that sense but actually speaking English. Like it sounds so weird haha doesn't help I butcher every other pronounciation. English is such a soft language that it is difficult with how harsh my own is to speak softly.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

3 minutes ago, Fluttershyfan94 said:

Bro I'm like the same only like I'd say reading and writing like I mean I feel perfect in that sense but actually speaking English. Like it sounds so weird haha doesn't help I butcher every other pronounciation. English is such a soft language that it is difficult with how hardh my own is to speak softly.

What's your native langage ? Maybe it can help you. French is a latin langage so speaking english is hard, the pronunciation and the sounds are so different !

3 minutes ago, Le Trotteur Sauvage said:

What's your native langage ? Maybe it can help you. French is a latin langage so speaking english is hard, the pronunciation and the sounds are so different !

Icelandic, technically being a Germanic language english being both germanic and latin I believe though other then pronouncing I think it is good enough to at least be understood haha.

3 minutes ago, Fluttershyfan94 said:

Icelandic, technically being a Germanic language english being both germanic and latin I believe though other then pronouncing I think it is good enough to at least be understood haha.

It's true that english have some latin origins, but when you're from Spain, Italy, France or Portugal (or even Romania) who are like, latin LATIN, some word are like black magic, sound we've never heard before ! :o

(edited)

“rural” makes my mouth feel weird when i say it and it comes out like I’m speaking with my mouth full

also “sixth” is literally impossible for me to pronounce. In fact, I find “th” in general difficult to pronounce

Edited by Mini
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't pronounce Vanilla (Vaneila), Kansas (Kansass), Salmon (Simon), Crayons (Karon) or any chemistry/ biological terms. I can say them in my head but not at loud. I probably (properly that's also how I pronounced that word) have more words that I can't pronounced than what I listed here, since English is not my first language.

Most are leftover from my Philly upbringing. 

Bagel I pronounce beg el. 
Water will occasionally come out as waddah. 
Compass sounds .... like romp and not some

The one that no one know where it came from is how I say wafer. It is pronounced way-fer. I pronounce it wah-fer if I’m not catching myself. 

On 5/14/2020 at 3:46 PM, Mini said:

rural” makes my mouth feel weird when i say it and it comes out like I’m speaking with my mouth ful

That word and me don’t get along either. 

(edited)
On 4/21/2020 at 6:40 AM, Princess Moony said:

I don't like any long complicated words :blink:

Then you should never come to germany. We have so many long combined words that even me as a native german speaker have sometimes problems to pronounce it correctly (especially when I talk fast). XD The longest word is btw: Rinderkennzeichnungsfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz ... beautiful, isn't it? :3

But besides these really long words, I don't have that big problems to pronounce words in german correct. And when, than it is usually a word who is originally from another language like latin or french and was integrated in the german language. 

When it is about english, there are some words who gave me always problems. I don't know why, but one of the hardest words for me to pronounce correctly is the word cathedral. This word is for me horror to pronounce. 

Edited by IronM17

Specific. I strangely can't pronounce the S and end up pronouncing it as: Per-Sif-Ic (Like Pacific)

When I’m talking fast, I say “asks” wrong.

23 minutes ago, Codelyy said:

Specific. I strangely can't pronounce the S and end up pronouncing it as: Per-Sif-Ic (Like Pacific)

I have a friend who does that too. :o

• Brohoof 2

27 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I have a friend who does that too. :o

Nice to know someone else has this issue. It's REALLY annoying. Best to just avoid the word all together :please:

• Brohoof 1