Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Words you cannot pronounce properly?

Mr F

22 minutes ago, Lunaholic said:

Yeah it's hard to learn. For me it's the opposite. In Finnish we have rolled R so ie. Spanish words are easy for me to pronounce. However English R is a huge struggle for me. I roll R even when I speak English :ButtercupLaugh:

This was the main reason why I gave up Finnish after six months of trying to learn - I actually even paid for a speech therapist when I was 15 because I wanted to try and master that specific sound, but I'm 25 now and still can't do it properly so I've given up. I am a little better at the uvular trill, so when speaking Scandinavian languages I try to substitute that in where I can (in Norwegian, some people do this already with the 'rulle' vs 'skarre' R sound) - but I don't know if that would work in Finnish too. I've heard that English and German native speakers tend to have the most trouble with it, so at least I'm not the only one :D

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, daviddaviddavid said:

This was the main reason why I gave up Finnish after six months of trying to learn - I actually even paid for a speech therapist when I was 15 because I wanted to try and master that specific sound, but I'm 25 now and still can't do it properly so I've given up. I am a little better at the uvular trill, so when speaking Scandinavian languages I try to substitute that in where I can (in Norwegian, some people do this already with the 'rulle' vs 'skarre' R sound) - but I don't know if that would work in Finnish too. I've heard that English and German native speakers tend to have the most trouble with it, so at least I'm not the only one :D

Rolling R isn't that important in Finnish language. However I respect you for trying to learn the language. It is VERY hard unless you're Estonian or Hungarian. Also Turkish and some Asian languages share similar agglutination and vowel harmony with Finnish.

While Norwegian being Germanic language like English so it might be very easy for native English speaker minus those pronouncing differences :grin:

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

Architypal. It just doesn't sound right to me. I can say it, but it wants to come out, 'Archetypical'. I don't even know what it means so it's not a big deal, but as long as we're chatting about it, I might as well mention it.