Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Spike x Rarity (Sparity)

Discolt

I have no opinion or bias for any of these two characters, letalone a pairing of the two.

With the "different age group" excuse, I'd like to remind you all of the major differences between a dragon's and ponies' lifespan. The six mares we know and love all have an age around 20 which, for dragons, is a young age. Such a young age, it's classified as an infant stage. Because of this, it takes awhile for a dragon's body to develop and grow (without thievery), which is why Spike, despite being around the same age as the Mane 6 and other mares/stallions, is so much smaller in size. An example of how they are the same age, is when Twilight Sparkle was only a filly, Spike was hatched and given to her. So technically, in pony years, Spike is around two or three years behind Rarity, which can allow it to be an appropriate relationship.

With the "different species" excuse, we've seen a lot stranger pairings in video games and other cartoons ^_^

This was unbiased, as said before, and I don't exactly support this pairing, I do find it interesting to an extent.

Edited by Prince Dusk
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think it'll happen. I mean, come on, what would happen if they introduced pwndragons to the world of pwnies? It's too much for one sitting!

Plus the web would flare up with Rarity-RD shipping. I mean more than there already is...

Seriously, I'd love to see Spike grow up in both body and mind (see badly drawn pic below), motivated by love rather than greed. Even so it would probably take some time for Rarity to accept him as an equal rather than a child.

post-3492-0-50485000-1334349486_thumb.jpg

Edited by Simon the Scribe

I enjoy the ship and all but I don't think there's much of a possibility with the show following through with this. Largely they still are catering to parents/kids and how well would an interspecies ~ borderline paedophiliac relationship between a pony and a baby dragon sit with parents.

This.

Sadly, it would be an endearing thing to implement into the show, but it is aimed at children after all. Just like they wrote off that episode of Arthur or whatever just because there was going to be two 'mothers', no?

This.

Sadly, it would be an endearing thing to implement into the show, but it is aimed at children after all. Just like they wrote off that episode of Arthur or whatever just because there was going to be two 'mothers', no?

Since when is an interracial couple as unacceptable as a lesbian couple in a kids show?

Since when is an interracial couple as unacceptable as a lesbian couple in a kids show?

Not 'as'--I am not necessarily talking parallels here. I just mean there would be that chance of it being considered 'unacceptable' by parents or producers, just like the whole controversy surrounding Derpy.

I just mean that there is that chance of it being taken out of context, capisci? :)

Not 'as'--I am not necessarily talking parallels here. I just mean there would be that chance of it being considered 'unacceptable' by parents or producers, just like the whole controversy surrounding Derpy.

I just mean that there is that chance of it being taken out of context, capisci? :)

Posted Image

I don't think anyone's gonna complain about it because its been done before. Kermit and Miss Piggy or Sonic the Hedgehog and Sally who is a squirrel. Jake and Lady Rainacorn from Adventure Time is another example...

The only time I see someone would complain about it is if MLP themselves portrayed a dragon/unicorn relationship (or any other relationship on the show between two different but sapient species) as negative because that would make the show guilty of racism.

As far as I know, almost every pony Spike is friends with probably knows about his crush on Rarity and no pony has ever told him to forget it because they're not the same species (or that he's too young, for that matter).

Edited by hironakamura

Posted Image

I don't think anyone's gonna complain about it because its been done before. Kermit and Miss Piggy or Sonic the Hedgehog and Sally who is a squirrel. Jake and Lady Rainacorn from Adventure Time is another example...

The only time I see someone would complain about it is if MLP themselves portrayed a dragon/unicorn relationship (or any other relationship on the show between two different but sapient species) as negative because that would make the show guilty of racism.

As far as I know, almost every pony Spike is friends with probably knows about his crush on Rarity and no pony has ever told him to forget it because they're not the same species (or that he's too young, for that matter).

Yeah, hopefully nobody would. I really want to see their story being followed up on in season 3 because I find the match cute.

Then again, who knows?

• 1 month later...

"Puppy Love" is a comedic element that has been used by screen writers for a long time now. It's designed to make you go 'awwww' and wish the little guy can get the older girl. There's a lot of potential comedy when you implement puppy love into a show, and we've only seen some of it so far in season 1-2. You can bet the MLP:FiM devs are going to milk this side plot dry until the finale.

From a story standpoint I think it is possible, with a few changes. Firstly, Spike has to undergo some change and maturity. Secondly, Rarity has to recognize Spike's maturity in order for her to consider him a potential mate (boyfriend). For example, Spike has to make a hard decision in order to save Rarity in a heroic and unselfish way.

As demonstrated by Rarity's pet names for Spike like spiky-wiky, she does not consider Spike more than a friend or a child. As it stands now, I do not think Spike has a chance with Rarity. This can change however.

Unfortunately not :( I wish, although some of us can hope maybe in season 3! He does have a remote chance however, the way Rarity looked at him in the episode where Spike grew greedy seemed very affectionate, in a romantic way!

• Brohoof 1

No. It will be a bitter sweet after school special on ABC when Rarity dumps Spike. He will deal with a broken heart. She will get married into wealthy unicorn nobility.

The Mane Six will rejoice with Rarity and morn with Spike. Songs will be sung. Tears will be shed, Spike will go on a binge jewel eating stint.

Finally Celestia and Luna will show up. Celestia will slap Spike around and tell him to deal with it. Luna will be sympathetic, and spike will crush on Luna and we will start all over again!

• Brohoof 1

Rarity seems dead set on a 'Prince Charming' type of guy, as she is semi-indulged in her fantasies of having someone like that. In comparison, I don't think Spike has much of a chance. That said, Rarity clearly does acknowledge that he has a crush on her, as proved in 'Secret of my Excess' at the end when they're falling, he says he does, but she smiles and makes him stop. So, I think it's more of a childish crush sort of thing that she finds adorable, and that he'll continue to have. But no, I don't think it would actually, truly go anywhere.

Rarity seems dead set on a 'Prince Charming' type of guy, as she is semi-indulged in her fantasies of having someone like that. In comparison, I don't think Spike has much of a chance. That said, Rarity clearly does acknowledge that he has a crush on her, as proved in 'Secret of my Excess' at the end when they're falling, he says he does, but she smiles and makes him stop. So, I think it's more of a childish crush sort of thing that she finds adorable, and that he'll continue to have. But no, I don't think it would actually, truly go anywhere.

As someone with a... fondness for lady-like and classy women, I can definitely relate, but it is what it is: a fantasy, nothing more. Rarity's shown that she isn't one-dimensional in personality, so the thought of not wanting to be with Spike or something like that isn't completely out of the question. If anything, her munificence can easily show her "the path to Spike", so to speak.

Perhaps Rarity's only love interest could be in Ponyville all this time. We understand she can get whomever she wants just by her looks, but that certainly doesn't equate into a loving and blooming relationship, you know, somepony you would want to spend the rest of your life with.

Spike has potential in this regard. He's still young, learning the tools of the trade. That being said, he could be brought up into being "Prince Charming", as it were. He's demonstrated some sort of classiness this way as well, so that's something to build upon. He just has to get older.

As someone with a... fondness for lady-like and classy women, I can definitely relate, but it is what it is: a fantasy, nothing more. Rarity's shown that she isn't one-dimensional in personality, so the thought of not wanting to be with Spike or something like that isn't completely out of the question. If anything, her munificence can easily show her "the path to Spike", so to speak.

Perhaps Rarity's only love interest could be in Ponyville all this time. We understand she can get whomever she wants just by her looks, but that certainly doesn't equate into a loving and blooming relationship, you know, somepony you would want to spend the rest of your life with.

Spike has potential in this regard. He's still young, learning the tools of the trade. That being said, he could be brought up into being "Prince Charming", as it were. He's demonstrated some sort of classiness this way as well, so that's something to build upon. He just has to get older.

I'm not gonna debate any points here, I just don't see it as happening :3 She's certainly not shallow but I still don't see it.