Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Spike x Rarity (Sparity)

Discolt

Yeah, Cheerilee and Big Mac is definitely the MOST Canon of all ships.

Even though Rarity and Spike does seem valid in the context of the episodes, Rarity doesn't seem to treat him as a coltfriend, but more like a little brother; I believe Spike has been taking it the wrong way. Of course, people have written fanfics and comics about drastic things that occur that allow their relationship to become more plausible.

I don't really enjoy this ship either though, to be honest... It seems a bit strange... AND it breaks my heart.

Okay my thoughts on this shipping.

We'll let me start out with that in EVERY fantasy story dragons pretty much mate with EVERYTHING. This is due to the fact that dragons can take a different shape. The must common cross-breeding is Dragon x Human.

Now this shipping is on the "not okay" side due to Spike being really is to young. Twilight Sparkle hatched him when she was a filly, so I'm assuming she was 8-10 years old. Now the theory is that the Mane 6 are in there twenties, so if that's true (Which is what I believe) then Spike should be 8-10 years old. Now I'm going to go with Dragons become adult at that age of 18, which is the normal age for "Adulthood" so give spike 10 years or so, Rarity x Spike would be okay. To me, the love interest is okay for something his age. It's basically a child hood crush, and we've all had that right? We see it in shows and stories all the time. Some pre-teen has a crush on a class-mate or teacher. Spike I believe is just now learning the elements of love. So yeah, this is nothing but a childhood crush, but maybe (If Rarity is still available, which I doubt) Spike in 10 years might just be with Rarity. But this is just a show for little girls (remember that) so it might never become canon (unless the upcoming episode Twilight gets a glimpse at the future and sees them two together).

For me Spike x Rarity shipping is weird enough. First, Rarity is a mare and Spike is just a baby dragon. Second, Rarity is a pony (mammal) and Spike is a dragon (reptile). I doubt this will be canon. Also Rarity doesn't seem to show any interest in Spike except as a friend, he is the only one who has a crush on her. Spike probably liked Rarity because whole his life he lived only with ponies like Twilight, but that doesn't mean he would go live whole his life with a pony who ofc will refuse him as a boyfriend instead of finding a female dragon with whom he can create his own family when he will grow up. The fanfics do contain cute stuff about Rarity and Spike, but such shipping just won't work IMO.

I'm not so sure that the species difference matters though. If you think back to Luna Eclipsed, those ponies pulling Luna's chariot were not normal pegasi. I could be completely wrong here, but I assume that there is a reason these guys have dragon eyes and wings?

post-1882-0-58708500-1330137848.png

Oh please, Nightmare Moon also has draconic eyes if you didn't notice.

Posted Image

Does that mean that her and Celestia's parents were a pony and a dragon? Sounds unbelievable.

Princess Luna turns into Nightmare using somewhat a spell, she probably casts such spell on her night guards turning them into dragon like pegasi.

Edited by Princess Ariona

As a psychology student, I think that I can offer a fresh perspective on the whole spike x rarity thing.

While opposites attract, similarities stick.

with a few exceptions, one is more likely to have a happier, stronger, and longer more-than-friendship with someone who has a similar personality, shares your interests, religion, ect.

and species aside, Spike and Rarity aren't similar at all. Just think back to how the two saw the heart shaped ruby: Spike saw it as a particularly deluxe dinner. Rarity saw it as an excellent addition to her regal wardrobe.

Now think of Fancy Pants and Rarity's similarity:

-Both are "Canterlot types,"

-both are well dressed, and proud of it,

-both are generous,

-both are willing to put their status and respect on the line to stand up for their friends. (Rarity, when Fluttershy was cursed on the fashion show. Fancy Pants, in defense of Twilight Sparkle's unfinished dress, [made by Rarity.])

I just don't think that Spike can compete with that, even if he wasn't Twilight's... ah, secretary. I'm not sure if this will ever really come up in an episode.

You may very well say "but you can't compete for true love!"

I respect your opinion, good strawbrony, but that begs the question, Does Spike love Rarity, or does he just like the way she looks?

I mean, think about it! Does spike praise her inner beauty, or her looks, posture, elegance est?

I'm not calling Spike superficial or anything, he's just got a crush on someone he doesn't know that well. We've all been there.

• Brohoof 6

Fancy Pants/Rarity... that's a thought. :)

I can't be the only one to have thought of it.

I'm still wondering on the implications of two shippings, and over thinking the both of them in my second post ever.

Oh please, Nightmare Moon also has draconic eyes if you didn't notice.

Yes, I noticed. And I definitely understand where you are coming from and I see most of your points. I can also see that you have a very strong opinion on this topic. :lol:

I just wanted to point out a small thing. It wasn't just the eyes. The wings, the tail, and the ears are all completely different from other pegasi. It is really the wings that caught my attention when I first watched that episode where they appear - they are webbed, not feathered.

Princess Luna turns into Nightmare using somewhat a spell, she probably casts such spell on her night guards turning them into dragon like pegasi.

This is actually what I thought as well, but after thinking about it a bit more, I thought about something else.

Well, if Luna is supposed to be "good" now, then the whole turning pegasi into half-dragons of some type just doesn't seem to be a "nice" thing to do.

I suppose that there could be some kind of draft or volunteer guards service and the recruits get "processed", but that just seemed to be kind of a messy way to go about it.

Then, there is another possibility that could explain the guards as well. It could just be the case that the gaurds are actually a totally different species altogether. Maybe there is a type of pony that just happens to have a more dragon-like appearance? That could be the case. Hopefully Luna eventually gets another episode and we can see more about her interesting guards....

• Brohoof 1

As a psychology student, I think that I can offer a fresh perspective on the whole spike x rarity thing.

While opposites attract, similarities stick.

with a few exceptions, one is more likely to have a happier, stronger, and longer more-than-friendship with someone who has a similar personality, shares your interests, religion, ect.

and species aside, Spike and Rarity aren't similar at all. Just think back to how the two saw the heart shaped ruby: Spike saw it as a particularly deluxe dinner. Rarity saw it as an excellent addition to her regal wardrobe.

Now think of Fancy Pants and Rarity's similarity:

-Both are "Canterlot types,"

-both are well dressed, and proud of it,

-both are generous,

-both are willing to put their status and respect on the line to stand up for their friends. (Rarity, when Fluttershy was cursed on the fashion show. Fancy Pants, in defense of Twilight Sparkle's unfinished dress, [made by Rarity.])

I just don't think that Spike can compete with that, even if he wasn't Twilight's... ah, secretary. I'm not sure if this will ever really come up in an episode.

You may very well say "but you can't compete for true love!"

I respect your opinion, good strawbrony, but that begs the question, Does Spike love Rarity, or does he just like the way she looks?

I mean, think about it! Does spike praise her inner beauty, or her looks, posture, elegance est?

I'm not calling Spike superficial or anything, he's just got a crush on someone he doesn't know that well. We've all been there.

This is a good set of points, and really the primary reason why I don't think Spike's crush will survive him growing up. Sure, Rarity is beautiful, but she's not exactly his type. Fancy Pants...eh, considering he strikes me as the pony Hugh Hefner, I'm not sure he's really the most appropriate partner for Rarity. But still, he would definitely have more of a shot of sticking together a successful relationship.

Just for the sake of curiosity, I have to wonder what really is Spike's type. I'm not sure we've seen enough of his day to day personality to really get a feel for it. Any thoughts on that?

*snip parts of post I did not need to address*

Then, there is another possibility that could explain the guards as well. It could just be the case that the gaurds are actually a totally different species altogether. Maybe there is a type of pony that just happens to have a more dragon-like appearance? That could be the case. Hopefully Luna eventually gets another episode and we can see more about her interesting guards....

This is assuming it wasn't just some sort of elaborate illusion for the sake of either Nightmare Night, or just to personalize her guards and make them different from Celestia's. All of Celestia's guards wear golden armor and appear as white Pegasi or Unicorns, almost like warrior angels. The bat wing theme for Luna's guards gives them a somewhat different appearance instead...normally I would say "warrior demons" here but that accords a sense of evil to the theme, which really isn't what I think she's going for. Rather, it's something to embrace the night. What is more iconic a night creature than a bat?

The fanfiction Past Sins suggested the notion that the armor of Celestia's guards is enchanted to alter their appearance so they all look the same, as a way of promoting military unity and presenting a unified face to the world. I like the idea so much that I'm willing to argue that the same is true for Luna's guards, as I just described, for the same purpose.

Oh~! I would love to see some Fancy Pants x Rarity~! I wonder how they would name their babies??

http://www.witchscauldron.net/cauldron/stones.htm

I suspect they'd draw from a list such as that for the names, since Rarity adores gems.

I really like the RarityxSpike ship. It's cute and innocent. I see Spike as a young teenaged boy, maybe 15-16 and Rarity as an adult women. Like a teenage boy, that has a crush on his mother's pretty friend, or so. It's nothing more then innocent, child attraction, and yes he probably thinks he 'loves' her but the love is more blindness devotion, and as he matures I'm sure it will fade, as all silly crushes do.

~

If Rarity reciprocated the feelings and things got heavier, then it might cross over into werid (think American Beauty) which is why she never will. People think Rarity is a bitch for not showing feelings back, but imagine the aforementioned scenario again.

Edited by Shankveld

Maybe there is a type of pony that just happens to have a more dragon-like appearance?

There might be a breed of dragon like pegasi, but I highly doubt that the ancestors of these guards are dargons and ponies together. Cuz it's the same funny thing as if you will say that the ancestors of bats are dragons.

The eyes of the night guards are also a lot like cat ones, and their wings similar to bats wings. Don't forget about this.

Edited by Princess Ariona

Spike being a "baby" dragon is the main thing that confuses me.

Since they still want to refer to him like that.

Though as stated being a baby dragon could mean he is more of a teenager age by pony standards.

But then you have his greed episode, and I gave up on trying to understand.

Spike being a "baby" dragon is the main thing that confuses me.

Since they still want to refer to him like that.

Though as stated being a baby dragon could mean he is more of a teenager age by pony standards.

But then you have his greed episode, and I gave up on trying to understand.

Indeed, this was what confused me the most. A baby dragon growing to more than full growth in no time at all. Due to greed.

I really like that "innocent crush" spike had for all this time, but it went a bit too far in that episode for my liking.

However, in my humble opinion the next episode will not include this relatonship but rather focus a lot more on Spike in general.

I rather doubt, the writers will make another plot twist out of RarityxSpike anytime soon.

• Brohoof 1

However, in my humble opinion the next episode will not include this relatonship but rather focus a lot more on Spike in general.

I rather doubt, the writers will make another plot twist out of RarityxSpike anytime soon.

Ever think about the potential for identity issues spike could have? His growth has been suspended by ponies. He's been raised by ponies. He speaks the pony language, but for all we know doesn't know how to speak to dragons, and has been taught against greed and other dragonly things (like burninating). Now, MLP is just a kids show keeps grimdark stuff like identity crises out of cannon, and I hope that never changes.

Spike trying to answer inner questions like:

"Who... What AM I? What could I have been? What have these ponies cheated me of?"

by traveling, in search of his own kind, and a place in the world has the potential for a good fanfic. Alot better than a Fancy Pants x Rarity shipping.

Honestly, I hope I haven't derailed this thread or anything!

• Brohoof 1

Ever occur to you guys this was meant to be watched by children too and so therefore they are just covering a childhood crush? I had a crush on my teacher when I was in first grade. Did I ever stand a chance with her at age 6? Of course not but these crushes happen. I think Spike is just crushing on Rarity as kids are wont to do. I really doubt it will ever go further than that and I do not think Rarity is purposely taking advantage of it. Rarity is good pony, she just loses her head sometimes, especially around pretty gems.

• Brohoof 3

Ever think about the potential for identity issues spike could have? His growth has been suspended by ponies. He's been raised by ponies. He speaks the pony language, but for all we know doesn't know how to speak to dragons, and has been taught against greed and other dragonly things (like burninating). Now, MLP is just a kids show keeps grimdark stuff like identity crises out of cannon, and I hope that never changes.

Spike trying to answer inner questions like:

"Who... What AM I? What could I have been? What have these ponies cheated me of?"

by traveling, in search of his own kind, and a place in the world has the potential for a good fanfic. Alot better than a Fancy Pants x Rarity shipping.

Honestly, I hope I haven't derailed this thread or anything!

Idea for a fanfic. Spike goes on a quest for identity! Hot diggety dog, I'm a genuis! :D

And we're not derailing the thread at all. :P

Ever occur to you guys this was meant to be watched by children too and so therefore they are just covering a childhood crush?

Yes, It also has occurred to me that I have thought about this subject quite enough. My "BIG post" is getting a lot of likes though.

If one of you want's to post that as a funny pic, you have my permission to do so!

I can see it now;

in demotivational format: PONY SHIPPINGS: serious business! :ph34r:

Imma stop following this thread before it consumes my sanity.