Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Spike x Rarity (Sparity)

Discolt

Okay, let's not sexualize this by thinking what Spike and Rarity's offspring would look like or if its even possible or why the etymology of the word draconequus is "dragon" + "horse" in latin...

The question is does Spike have a chance with Rarity? I think he does because based on the world they live in, the arguments are all moot. "Its magic. Ain't gotta explain crap." simply means deus ex machina is god. If the writers of the show want Spike and Rarity, then they can do it especially in a world filled with magic where a little baby dragon can turn into an adult dragon within minutes or where mice can transform into horses.

We know nothing about Spike's age other than by dragon standards, he's a baby. We don't know how dragons age either but so far, based on two episodes, I think its canon that they get dumber and more immature as they get older so in this case, Spike being a baby dragon is an advantage for him. Its also canon that Rarity thinks Spike is cute which is true because he does have a cute appearance. Now observe the pic below.

Posted Image

In the pic above, Spike's body looks no different than it appears on the show but does he look older or more mature? In theory, if Spike never practices greed or any other dragon behavior, his body will never grow. I mean, he'll age, grow wiser and more mature but his body will stay the same.

Spike is also an underdog and from a writer's perspective, its always more interesting to tell the story from the side of the underdog. If Spike were to compete for Rarity's feelings against someone like Fancy Pants, my money would be on Spike because in fiction we all know that the underdog always wins. Remember RD's pet turtle, Tank? Competing against all those flying pets, deep down inside you knew its gonna be the turtle that wins RD's heart in the end.

People are so quick to judge Spike and Rarity by their differences like she's a unicorn, he's a dragon but people rarely notice their striking similarities. For starters, Spike and Rarity are both gem lovers. She admires gems for their beauty while he admires gems for their taste. They've even exchanged gemstones as a sign of affection for each other.

Posted Image

Another thing about Spike and Rarity is their greed/generosity duality. She is the Element of Generosity while Greed turns him into a monster. There's no way this could have simply been coincidence because its not like the writers pulled this out of no where. He's always been a dragon and she's always been the element of generosity since the very start of the series.

Last but not the least is their romantic preference...

Posted Image

Rarity's idea of romance is being a princess who meets and dances with her prince like in "Ticket Master." Spike's idea of romance is being a knight who saves a princess in distress like in "A Dog and Pony Show." They both share very common notions about what they perceive a romantic situation would be. I can't imagine the other characters would think the same. RD's idea of romance might involve explosions and lasers firing everywhere.

TLDR, Yes, its very likely Spike has a chance with Rarity because from a story telling perspective, the little dragon dude has all the cards in his favor for a happy ending.

• Brohoof 6

Nnope, Rarity will choose Prince Doucheblood.

Obviously. :P Let's look at one:

Posted Image

I have a hard time thinking that a Unicorn and a Dragon would make something like that -- they have the body parts of at least 8 different creatures. I would think they would make something more like this:

Posted Image

Except, maybe 20% cooler than that. And with horns.

Just my USD0.02.

XD, seems the dragon had an affair with Derpy (look at the third dronkey).
  • Brohoof 1

For the purpose of keeping the gag going (I don't really think "gag" is the right word for it but I'm not sure what else to call it) I doubt it'll ever happen, maybe not even in the series finale and leave it up to fanfictions and the speculation of the fans.

But really thought considering it's a cartoon it's entirely possible for it to happen. He's shown interest and she has more or less accepted those feelings even though she doesn't act on it in a romantic way unless something dramatic happens like when Spike got greedy and got bigger because of it.

Since their age isn't told in the show or by Faust herself it's possible that they would mix them romantically, if only for an episode, for either comedy or storyline's sake just because of the (kinda) romantic situation between the two regardless of their perceived ages by the fans.

Besides, Rarity's got me, she doesn't need Spike. :D

.............jk.................................................................kinda. <.< >.>

• Brohoof 1

I don't think that gonna happen, cuz Spike is a "Baby" Dragon and Rarity is a "Lady" so....

Yes, age is the first problem.

Because dragons live much longer than the average pony (This is canon, in "Dragonshy" it was stated the dragon might have slept for a hundred years) it is safe to assume they also mature much more slowly, meaning by the time Spike reaches Rarity's physical age, she might be old or dead.

Secondly, they're not even the same species. I could safely assume they had a possibilty if I saw at least one interspecies relationship, but no.

Thirdly, Rarity has proven she already knows about Spike's crush, but prefers ponies.

Yes, age is the first problem.

Because dragons live much longer than the average pony (This is canon, in "Dragonshy" it was stated the dragon might have slept for a hundred years) it is safe to assume they also mature much more slowly, meaning by the time Spike reaches Rarity's physical age, she might be old or dead.

Secondly, they're not even the same species. I could safely assume they had a possibilty if I saw at least one interspecies relationship, but no.

Thirdly, Rarity has proven she already knows about Spike's crush, but prefers ponies.

Has anyone seen Adventure Time? The protagonist, Finn the human, is often ship-teased with various female characters that are older than him. He is only 13 but the writers portray his love interest from a character named Princess Bubblegum who is canonically mentioned as being 18 and is a living bubble gum person. Finn has also been ship-teased with Marcelline the Vampire who is at least a thousand years old and Susan Strong who is an adult human.

Princess Bubblegum is probably Finn's default ship-tease because there was an episode where she had an accident causing her to lose enough bubblegum mass with the side effect of age regression turning her into a 13 year old girl. Now if you remember Secret of my Excess, Spike is revealed to have the ability to speed grow an almost identical deus ex machina to Princess Bubblegum's age regression. Of course both characters almost immediately reverted to their original ages but the statement is clear. If the writers plan to ship these characters together, they can write whatever they want to prove "age is not relevant." And it can apply similarly to anything else like species.

Edited by hironakamura

Has anyone seen Adventure Time? The protagonist, Finn the human, is often ship-teased with various female characters that are older than him. He is only 13 but the writers portray his love interest from a character named Princess Bubblegum who is canonically mentioned as being 18 and is a living bubble gum person. Finn has also been ship-teased with Marcelline the Vampire who is at least a thousand years old and Susan Strong who is an adult human.

Princess Bubblegum is probably Finn's default ship-tease because there was an episode where she had an accident causing her to lose enough bubblegum mass with the side effect of age regression turning her into a 13 year old girl. Now if you remember Secret of my Excess, Spike is revealed to have the ability to speed grow an almost identical deus ex machina to Princess Bubblegum's age regression. Of course both characters almost immediately reverted to their original ages but the statement is clear. If the writers plan to ship these characters together, they can write whatever they want to prove "age is not relevant." And it can apply similarly to anything else like species.

True, in the end, it all comes down to what the writers want.

Could be a good chance since they both love gems, and Spike outright admitted having a crush on her during Secret of my Excess. But I don't know if Spike can handle all that... whatever Rarity did in the beginning of Dragon Quest.

Rarity shows a bit of affection towards Spike in season 2 episode 21.... :o

Posted Image

Not the affection Spike generally hopes for, though.

• Brohoof 2

Hey, you never know could emerge to be something else. (or maybe not) That's for the writers to decide. :P

Posted Image

Hey, you never know could emerge to be something else. (or maybe not) That's for the writers to decide. :P

Posted Image

For now, it'll be mostly in Spike's mind, if you catch my drift. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I've been reading this thread for awhile now. While I won't predict whether I think this will happen or not, I will just bring up that if they do happen to become an item, it will not be the first time that somethng like this has happened.

I'm sure some of you remember Taismo.

there is big mac. but anyway i dont think he has a chance. he is afterall a baby dragon and rarity is a whole lot more mature than he is. i dont like his chances

If you remember in Season 1 Episode 1, Fluttershy seemed to be obsessed with baby dragons. She called Spike cute and he was like eating it up. Or at least he never took offense from it. Sadly, this obsession disappeared after said episode. Its possible that to bring Spike and Rarity closer, the writers resurrected Fluttershy's fangirliness about Spike in Rarity.

Don't forget that Spike was having an identity crisis at the time so I doubt he would have been receptive to any compliments from any pony unless they said that he was a big fierce scary dragon... which he is not.

Haven't really thought about it. But probably, I mean who else is there, realistically?

For Rarity, there's always that nerd she seduced in "Putttin Your Hoof Down."

If you remember in Season 1 Episode 1, Fluttershy seemed to be obsessed with baby dragons. She called Spike cute and he was like eating it up. Or at least he never took offense from it. Sadly, this obsession disappeared after said episode. Its possible that to bring Spike and Rarity closer, the writers resurrected Fluttershy's fangirliness about Spike in Rarity.

Don't forget that Spike was having an identity crisis at the time so I doubt he would have been receptive to any compliments from any pony unless they said that he was a big fierce scary dragon... which he is not.

BLASPHEMY!

Edited by Prince Dusk

I enjoy the ship and all but I don't think there's much of a possibility with the show following through with this. Largely they still are catering to parents/kids and how well would an interspecies ~ borderline paedophiliac relationship between a pony and a baby dragon sit with parents.

Edited by Starbrose

You are correct. He does turn into a big fierce scary dragon when he succumbs to his natural greed. I meant normally he's not like that.

I was joking, but once you put it like that, I understand how.

Edited by Prince Dusk